cat
Years ago

Norwood Easter Carnival still off-limits for Sturt?

Will Sturt ever show their faces again at Norwood's Easter Carnival

or is Eltham now the tournament of choice for the Club?

Topic #36834 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are obviously fishing for something here. A quick look at fixtures and the Team Colours shows you that they have some teams participating

Reply #523541 | Report this post

not off limits just not that important to us, time with family is more important and as there is limited time in the basketball calendar to have this we encourage our members to take advantage of the long weekend. Good luck to Norwood with their tournament we're sure it will be a successful weekend for them.

Reply #523544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It needs to be successful to fund their mens premier league team

Reply #523577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men's and women's thank you very much.

Reply #523579 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

two shades of blue, some smart comments there. While tournaments are important, kids and parents can get overload if they don't keep a balance

Reply #523580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everybody should have signed up to play Easter.

Remember Norwood are poor because they have no canteen or bar.

Please everybody, support poor Norwood. Their Premier League teams need you.

Reply #523587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe for the sake of SA basketball you South Australian Clubs should put your petty differences aside. If not maybe people from Victorian Clubs like me who make the 8/9 hour trip across to Adelaide may start to think of something better to do with their time next year.

Travelling all this way to simply play Victorian teams again does take the fun out of it. We could stay in Melbourne and do that.

Eltham & Dandenong host their tournament and none of the other Vic clubs have a hissy fit about where those funds go to. It may grate a bit for you SA clubs, but maybe you should learn from your Victorian cousins and get this tournament back to the heights it once was before it disappears for good.

Reply #523612 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

How offensive.

Families have been given a clubs blessing to take time out with their families and friends for a holiday in great weather on a weekend that most have off every year or to attend Christian celebrations and they are attacked. Perhaps Easter is a poor weekend to have a tournament and it should move to April School Holidays and they may get more attendance from local clubs. Perhaps they need to go away for Easter instead and relax as well and attend another tournament at another time. Yes there is politics in all sports but as pointed out there are teams from the club mentioned attending and why is it just that clubs responsibility to attend. There are 10 clubs and pseudo club Magic that can also attend but they also do not attend the Easter tournament in mass or even support the Victorian comps like the said club does sending over 30 teams to Dandenong every year. Please get some perspective. Blaming successful clubs for making choices that contribute to their success is ludicrous. It is the less successful clubs that need encouragement and support to attend and gain experience against interstate clubs to aid their development but they are probably away for Easter as well !!!!

Reply #523614 | Report this post

rumpelstiltskin  
Years ago

there are several sa clubs with not much involvement over easter - it is their choice !

Reply #523624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

End of the day most kids want to play regardless of who's hosting it. It should really only come down to financial and availability. Easter is a tough time with a lot of families taking the opportunity to spend an extended period of time together. All this club politics is mainly coming from the select club people who have nothing better to do than bash other clubs. Some clubs will always have better facilities, be "richer", more juniors. Guess what, that's life. I'll always support any clubs tournaments, sausage sizzles, raffles etc. Tournaments should be about just letting the kids play instead of politics from a couple of people

Reply #523651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without the Victorians, there would be no tournament. As they make up over 70% of the teams just about. Should be labelled the 'Victorian Travellers Tournament'.
Which is exactly the problem, it's in SA, yet the lack of support from SA teams. Your extremely lucky if you get to play two SA teams out of 6 games across the weekend.

Do you see Vic clubs complaining about where or who the money goes to in the Eltham or Nunawading Tournaments? Yet they are always out in force supporting the state tournaments.

Yet SA clubs can't even support their own. The bashing and bickering amongst the clubs here is ridiculous, and some of the comments here just show how pitiful it really is becoming.

You wonder why SA basketball is slowly on the decline, when your only state tournament has more support from interstate than from within. Who cares if Norwood run it, just like no one cares that Nunawading or Eltham have a tournament. Just come out in force and support it, before the Victorians who fund the entire thing disappear all together.

Reply #523741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa teams have a staatw champs tournament in may, classics in June, west Adelaide tournament in July and st Clair tournament in December. As well as having kids attend Ecc and Scc o. January as well as the dandenong/Eltham tournament.

So first of all you are wrong in saying its sa's only tournament and secondly, it is up too individuals if they want to attend taking into consideration everything esse that is in the basketball calander.

Reply #523743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'm not sure why these clubs would care either way whether you attend or not. They don't gain any benefit, either way.

Reply #523756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is ESL popular in SA?

Reply #523777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay Victorian complainers - Many SA Metro clubs attend a tournament in Mildura every June and as you do at the Easter Tournament play their own SA sides and a couple of Vic sides. It is a thriving competition and growing. SA use it as a holiday opportunity to stay at parks together and bond with families and explore Mildura, go to the markets, enter the runnjng races, enjoy the wave pool and combine a family holiday with a bit of basketball. Siblings hang out and build relationships with other club families. Yes it is a long way to play their own SA teams but the chance to play teams from different divisions or mixed teams does occur within it that so there is variety in those teams and they do get to play an interstate side or too. But there is more to a tournament weekend away than just the basketball that many do not see or embrace. That is a personal perspective. There are also many other tournaments in SA. Murray Bridge and other Country Tournaments you can attend if you look and over a much more favourable time frame for most and very competitive. SA basketball is not on the decline per percentage of population by the way. It is stagnant tough but that matches our economy and may be a reflection of that. At National levels last year the Womens Country and Metro 16's faired well with Metro team winning the National title and Australian School Championships saw many SA teams in finals and some winning. For a small population comparatively to other states it was a successful year. SA is however very restricted due to BSA's hold on our limited facilities so you should complain to them about lack of Metropolitan Tournaments and availability of suitable facilities due to their lack of expansion and improvement of stadiums. You can always travel to NSW tournaments if you wish mass interstate opposition as we do not have the population that Vic or NSW has to give you the percentage of teams you are looking for or do you not rate SA so much and think we are in decline that you really want to play their teams ?? Which is it ??? On a final note, if the clubs being bashed themselves for apparently not attending a tournament for political reasons decided to hold a Christmas Eve, Christmas and Boxing Day Tournament would you still attend and expect all the other SA teams to attend ? ??? I guess not and why not ?? Oh it's Christmas - Easter is far more important to many as a Christian Community and offers a less commercial family experience of spending time relaxing together, children playing and hunting for eggs together with families watching on appreciating the joyous smiles and giggles, a symbol of life and love, for some attending religious services bringing their wider church community together to show appreciation of the sacrifice Jesus made. Those who take off Easter would take off Christmas too and it is again THEIR CHOICE - Can I suggest you do the same instead of YOU a SINGLE VOICE complaining, get some perspective on life and know that while we all love basketball and are committed to play all year round, throw money at it that most of us do not have for our children's development and enjoyment of the sport that you CAN get enjoyment out of other things in life and basketball will still be there next week and your kids will be okay. Have an Easter off away from basketball yourself and you may just realise that is just as valuable to your family than you thought. Many of us have and we will never ever play basketball at Easter even if you paid us !!! Next Easter try the Marion Big 4 Poolside apartments. Or the multitude of fantastic parks on the Fleuria Peninsula close to great beaches, fishing, activities for kids of all ages, McLaren vale food and wineries and markets. Chill and relax. Extend your holiday and go to Kangaroo Island. So much to do to relax and recharge. Guarantee your kids basketball will improve more after a great family focussed weekend that any club based tournament will offer and attend the January or January tournament back home and hope you are in a group that plays the SA teams you want to play.

Reply #523789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

January or June tournaments that is.

Reply #523790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

January or June tournaments that is. And in Melbourne some SA families explore Vic and holiday before the tournaments as it is held at a time where families may have time off and there is always the shopping !!!! By the way, many SA teams play SA teams at those tournaments too and where's thread for that ???

Reply #523791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12 boys A has a ratio of 4 SA teams to 2 Vic so thats good odds for that age group.

Reply #523792 | Report this post

Grammar Nazi  
Years ago

For god sake put some paragraphs in that shit hurts my eyes, I stopped reading after about 4 sentences because I had to work out what you were grammatically saying.

Reply #523801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Note to Grammar Nazi. Put some commas and a full stop in your post before complaining about how other people write.

Reply #523854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Anonymous 789 to sum up your war and peace post above, you are simply saying

"Piss off Vic clubs we don't care whether u come or not. In not caring, we also don't care whether this Easter tournament survives or dies"

Interesting attitude. You may get what u wish for!

Reply #523856 | Report this post

Bobo  
Years ago

The tournament has sadly passed away.

Reply #523864 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

I understand there was a record number of teams in this years tournament. While this included only 4 Sturt teams I believe there was only 1 West & 1 Woodville team.

Reply #523875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They want South Australian teams to support the carnival, but they can barely support it themselves.

Norwood under 18's Div 1 forfeited their 3rd place playoff game tonight against Forestville.

Reply #523876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Div 1 team forfeiting a game at their own tournament is ridiculous.

Well done Norwood, turning your own tournament into amateur hour.

Reply #523888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood only had 4 players due to 2 injuries in the previous game and their div 2s are in the grand final so couldn't even bring up a player or 2 to even have a trial game

Reply #523898 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"'tis but a flesh wound"

Reply #523912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also had a player who refused to play cause of Easter Sunday.

Reply #523916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so you are dissing someone for their religious beliefs? many clubs have players and indeed referees who don't play or train on sundays because of their religious beliefs. I think it is against discrimination codes to bring this into play to discriminate against someone because of their religion?

indeed a sixer player a few years ago never played sunday games, so what if a Norwood player didn't play, or any player didn't play because it was sunday, more power to them I say.

Reply #523941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think 916 is having a go at the religious beliefs at all. I think they are having a go at the hypocrisy of all these Norwood that criticise the powerhouse clubs of SA for not entering into the Norwood tournament when one of their so called "showcase" teams forfeit a game, when one of their kids can't play for religious reasons.

I don't think this is critical of the player at all just pointing out the hypocrisy of some of the posters here and in previous threads.

Reply #523944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the funniest thing about this thread is the Victorian posting thinking that we care one iota whether this tournament survives or not. haha 9 clubs couldn't care less! We don't care if you come or not, we don't care if you play only other Vic teams or not and we don't care if the tournament survives or not! Only one club cares - Norwood. Don't return, you will not be missed by 9 clubs!

Reply #523948 | Report this post

Serious Moron  
Years ago

^ This guy above is obviously one of the Vic Envy tools, Oh your Victoria? We hate you, you stole our grand prix, you have a bigger city, you steal all our good students and kids because you have better jobs, you stole our road works because you have better tenders.

Oh don't come to Adelaide Victorians, we hate you, we don't want your money, or your beer, we are happy being the asshole of Australia..

Backwards Redneck.

Reply #523969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the Anon above -
Even from a non-basketball standpoint.
The amount of tourism dollar the Vics bring in by making the trip.
All the hotels, all the restaurants, the extra stuff we all spend our money on.
I can guarantee you Easter is a massive deal to the Adelaide tourism industry, and a large portion would be responsible from the Victorians who make the trip every Easter for the basketball.

Still don't care if we don't come now?

Grow up and stop complaining and hating on everything. This is a great tournament at a great time of year, SA basketball should be soaking every moment in the fact that Victorians come every Easter, to play basketball on your turf.

Having said that the tournament could be so much better if SA basketball and its clubs got right behind it. How many other tournaments could you say have such a large amount of clubs come from interstate... None!

Reply #523973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its only sporadic at best with regards to talented Vic teams.

Reply #523975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally entering the tournament for the first time has been great for my team. We were able to go up against Victorian teams which play at a higher level of intensity and a different style of play we are not used to. Speaking to the vic team coaches they got a lot out of the weekend in terms of team bonding plus the whole experience. So while my team got a hell of a lot better most of my competition didn't which is fine for me. Hope you enjoyed your easter eggs

Reply #523976 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

as a SA coach i think it it stupid that hardly any SA teams enter
to add to this, someone commented that west hold their carnival but that is mostly aimed at div3 and below so for some div1 players they will only have this season, a trip to Melbourne and state champs if easter goes away

i think the club bashing has to stop, people are more worried about what uniform someone wears than why they wear it or what they do in it

i love the vics coming down, i wish more clubs from more states came across, as a coach for the last 6 years i have never played against a QLD, NT, TAS or WA club yet (which i wish to do, to learn more styles and philosophies)
if you REALLY loved the game of basketball you would just be happy that a tournament even happened

Reply #523984 | Report this post

brian williams  
Years ago

Yes well said coach. I coached my vic. team over the weekend and we had a great time.Lovely city Adelaide and we did a bit of sightseeing in between games.Our girls love playing tournaments and we always play the Eltham/Dandenong and Nunawading tournaments --- even though we are from another association. I think that you SA clubs should do the same. Thanks to Norwood for making the tournament available for us.

Reply #524004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Vic coach who has been coming across since 2005 I find it terribly sad for the sport and the overwhelmingly good intentioned people from Adelaide who have always made us feel welcome whether from Sturt, Norwood or any other club.

Adelaide is a beautiful city with great people and the easter tournament has always been a great event to bring our kids over to.

At it's peak the tournament attracted power Vic clubs such as Dandenong, Frankston, Melbourne and Sandringham all made the trip, who mixed it with the best from SA, QLD, NSM and even New Zealand.

What a pity some petty politics have gotten in the way of maintaining and improving this terrific tournament. Politics in basketball is a poison that tears at the very fabric of our game to which we are all custodians, whether we are from Vic or WA, Sturt or Norwood.

From some of the great people I have met in SA surely there are some wiser heads and people of character from both Sturt and Norwood that can resolve the differences that are blocking the way of improving this tournament.

I will continue to promote this tournament, this city and SA basketball to my Victorian colleagues, but at the end of the day if the tournament does detroriate something else will take it's place.

That would be a great pity and an outcome I hope doesn't materialize.

Reply #524008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not politics, but player and family welfare that has sturt not sending all of their teams too the tournament.

Ans the result has been an high level of result at State Champs and Classics.

Reply #524018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The politics is being played by Norwood who are crying poor while at the same time admitting that they are paying outside the agreed budget for ABL, and then saying stuff about Sturt that is untrue.

Reply #524019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, the Norwood U18s only forfeited because three players were injured, one didn't play due to religious reasons, and one was not allowed to play due to state team commitments.

Reply #524025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny seeing the Norwood people both slam other SA clubs and plea for them to join the tournament at the same time..

Reply #524027 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

# 018 errr.... state champs last year - check the results - closest they have been for years

Reply #524031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done Norwood, a good tournament the KIDS enjoyed themselves, the games were competitive played in good spirit and the games ran on time and the draw was out early and easy to follow and catered for a whole range of things. Stadiums in the main were good although Marion dark and car park shoddy. KIDS had fun, blow the politics we will be back next year and the weather was good too

Reply #524032 | Report this post

Years ago

Norwood is about to step into the new rolls royce of adelaide basketball stadiums at Campbelltown - hopefully it may be ready for next year - which will just be tremendous.... if not 2017.

Reply #524035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being early in the Winter Season I think it's a great Carnival to enter as it gives your team 5+ games to play some different teams, particularly from interstate, while helping with team bonding and a chance to work on different aspects of the game like the agressive pressing from some of the Vic teams.

Reply #524060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask North Adelaide U14 Boys who won the champs final by 1 after being down by 1 with seconds to go how they feel about the carnival, ask them about team work and bonding after the weekend and how pumped they will be going into state champs with the self belief they can win that too.

Reply #524066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those North boys could win U/14 State Champs with or without the Easter carnival. They are a very good team.

Reply #524070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

winning that carnival doesn't mean a great deal but if your team got something from the weekend that helps them for state champs then that's the win.

There's no right or wrong answer on attending. What one team may get out of it another may not. I've coached teams in the past that never entered the tournament but won state champs so it's not a necessity.

In the end the teams that feel they can get something out of it will attend and those that don't won't.

Reply #524153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754