GongResident
Years ago

Wollongong Hawks granted extra time

Hawks given more time to keep flying !

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3000237/hawks-awarded-stay-of-execution/?cs=298

Topic #36875 | Report this topic

Mad Hatter 3.0  
Years ago

Good to hear. Need to keep clubs going and this was a large community club. Maybe need to get back to the grassroots like Dragons have and engage the supporters again.

Reply #524478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Besides from a purely nostalgic point of view, there is little to no value in keeping this club alive. It sucks, but its true, take emotion out of it, and the Hawks are a bad for thew growth of the NBL.

Reply #524495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice to see the Hawks seemingly doing and saying the right things, unlike the Crocs who are just pointing the finger at everyone else for their own issues.

Reply #524529 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

NBL won't push back free agency further so unless they get verbal agreements from players all they are doing is putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Reply #524540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the NBL and clubs finally admit it is no longer a fully professional sport. Their model is broken. It is a semi professional sport which means players will need to hold down a job first and work around that to play basketball. Trainings will have to be held before or after work. Adapt or die.

Reply #524546 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not any time soon I'd imagine.

Reply #524547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that the NBL gave the Hawks extra time but forgot about the VA process. That clearly highlights how inept the NBL is in regard to understanding this business process.

Reply #524553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it can work as a professional sport, but they need to change more than "get a TV deal" and "add/lose teams".

There is a very real risk of another dud off-season that puts the league and a lot of clubs in a really awkward position for a coming season. Clubs will screw around, a TV deal might come late or not, and then what? Same as before? We've had TV deals previously.

They need a more significant change so that an off-season is a chance to build rather than survive for half the league. I'd guess there are three teams (plus any expansion teams) with enough uncertainty looming that they are effectively in stasis with regard to marketing.

And most of the rest couldn't even tell potential season ticket holders how many games they're paying for next year, or who's likely to play for them.

Is it too late for reform? Would reform details help get 2-3 teams over the line so the league can get moving?

It's an NBL graveyard on social media from what I can see.

Reply #524554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The time extension and uncertainty is clearly a problem IMO. I don't even think there is a true start date yet. Last season the Blitz was in September and a few weeks later the true season commenced.
The possible introduction of Brisbane now is a joke and anyone that expects a new team to start again from scratch in maybe less than 4 months is a joke.
The lingering FA period will also place players from Townsville and Wollongong in an invidious position as well.

Reply #524610 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754