The Journo
Years ago

Buried Bearcats fall to defending champs

West Adelaide's championship dream is over after the Bearcats succumbed to a rampant Eastern Mavericks at Mount Barker last Sunday afternoon.

The Bearcats jumped out of the blocks, out muscling and out hustling the Mavericks to create an early five-point margin, stunning the defending champions to lead 21-16 at quarter time.

Tight team defence was a feature in the Bearcats gaining the early ascendency; Adam Pearce was everywhere, picking up six steals alone in the opening twelve minutes.

But Eastern then hit their straps and their shots as well, tying the game at 36-36 on a Brad Davis jumper before taking their first lead at 44-42 of a huge three pointer from Joel Goodenough.

West steadied to go into the break down three points, 47-44, but very much in the contest.

The opening seven minutes of the third quarter were very costly for the Bearcats, not only did West fail to score in that period, but the Mavericks opened a double digit margin before West reacted with the injection of Jamie Granger.

Granger created instant impact as West rallied all the way back to one-point (60-59) before going into the final twelve minutes down 63-60.

West's main four of Pearce, Danny Phillips, Ben Evans and Paul Bell looked tired after playing huge minutes throughout the first three quarters, tiredness, both physically and mentally set, the eventual downfall for West.

Yet another outrageous triple from Phillips gave West a sniff of a chance at 91-84 but Eastern took control from there on, a three point prayer from Davis finally nailing the 2005 season shut for West, Mavericks home 102-84.

Phillips was absolutely outstanding and was spent after playing the full 48 minutes, swishing a game high 30 points, including seven three pointers and dishing four assists.

Pearce had seven steals to go with 15 points, Bell added 15 points and seven rebounds while Granger played his best game of the season with 10 points, six rebounds and four assists before fouling out.

Eastern, who move on to play Sturt at Pasadena this week, had a major contribution from Goodenough (21 points, five assists), Brad Bungy (19 points and 13 rebounds) and Davis added 18 points and four assists.

Topic #3689 | Report this topic

Doddobird  
Years ago

No one has talked about Richard Hill for coach of the year after losing Holmes?

Reply #42943 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

yes - i must admit - i had both woodville and mavs out of the 5 due to personell changes.

it has been a great job by both squads.

I prefer brooks as the coach as woodville lost more than mavs
Jacob is a huge loss - but take away all of woodies - and it probably adds up more

Reply #42955 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i think andy simons has it in the bag....only really added dix from last years team and has lost campbell, rees, and pero....i would rather have dix than those 3, but it is still a great effort to get top spot in a very even league.

Reply #42970 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Great report Journo.

Hill would be my choice as coach of the year.

KB and Simons are very worthy contenders but Eastern lost Holmes who was ridiculous last season with numbers like 30 pts 20 rebounds last season.

Most criticised Eastern last season as being a one man team so Hill and his players deserve a lot of credit for getting back to the final four without Jacob (or indeed an NBL calibre replacement).

Reply #42975 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gertrude add Farman in there, and they did have Newley for a third of the season. Still in contention though. Realistically it should be a finals team's coach that gets picked. The end-of-season slide even after wins despite injury would rule out Castle. So, three solid contenders -- I don't know how much coaching KB is doing with Woodville (seems pretty passive during games), but the results are there and I wouldn't be unhappy if he picked it up.

Reply #42976 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Great write up Journo!!

Are we going to expect to see a write-up next week, or does your game stop with your team's finals aspirations...?

On the box scores, does any one know what the DA column is for?

I have done stats for an ABL club before, but can't think for the life of me.

Reply #42984 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Defensive Assist, which actually no longer get recorded.

Reply #42991 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

KB situation is like George Karl of the Nuggets. With Tracey doing most of the preperation he may lose votes despite a great season for the Warrioes.

Reply #42992 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Sorry typo WARRIORS.

Reply #42993 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Is Forman playing next week? If not, Sturt have a tough game again on their hands.

Reply #42998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, he will still be in China -- Sturt must win without him. If Saturday's first half was anything to go by, the Sabres are in trouble. If you go by their second half, they're a good chance.

Ng and Bauer should be shooting more from outside, IMO.

Reply #42999 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I would dearly love to, but as there is four games on at the same time, I can only go to one game.

If the Sunday Mail gave me a page in the sport section I would do it for sure!

Maybe Issac you could employ me as The Journo for the NBL/ABL seasons for this site?

Reply #43187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If "employ" means "not pay you", sure! Hoops SA doesn't really make any money so it has no budget.

Reply #43191 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

yeah thats what i mean issac.

maybe a spot on the media table at 36ers games would be good, so i could update quickly for the readers

Reply #43693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754