Disgusted
Years ago

West Adelaide - Sailors???

I was at Mt Barker today watching a great ABL final, and there was a large contingent of Westies supporters and as you'd expect even more Mavs fans.

During the game, there were three incidents in particular that disgusted me.

1. West player (starter, not sure who) yelling profanities at centre court after being called for a foul. He yelled this loud enough for every one in the stadium to here.

2. West player (number 10) getting subbed out and kicking the speaker on his way to the bench. I saw him do this, as i was sitting right behind the speaker.

3. One of the West players (a starter, but again i am not sure which one), hit a shot, Mavs called a time-out, and as he ran to the bench past the scoretable he yelled out "motherf***ers". I am not sure if it was directed at the officials, but it was certainly in our direction.

I was quite disappointed by these incidents, as it somewhat marred an otherwise enthralling game.

Foul language has no place in our game, and should be reserved for mini-catastrophes, or those with a limited vocabulary.

1. There was no need for that player to react in such a way, in front of so many juniors.

2. As for kicking the speaker, that just shows a distinct lack of respect.

3. That sort of language would be expected for a Sailor, not a basketballers playing a final in front of many junior players.

Topic #3691 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, West starters were Pearce, Bell, Crothers, Evans and Phillips.

Reply #42980 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

what you have said is very poor behaviour and poor examples for juniors.
hopefully the coach / referees had a word.

we want people (families) to come to abl

if you went the circus - it would not be on, if you went to the skyshow - the police foot patrol would pull you aside to speak to you doing this sort of thing, at a nightclub security would be speaking or keeping a close eye on you

Reply #42981 | Report this post

Disgusted  
Years ago

*hear

Reply #42982 | Report this post

Disgusted  
Years ago

To further clarify, it wasn't 8 (pearce) or 23 (Phillips) in any three incidents. There was a large number of people at the game, perhaps someone else can inform us of the potty-mouth.

Your right "what the" it wasn't very family friendly... and people wonder why basketball isn't as big as it should be.

I didn't see the referees have a word, and dont get me wrong, i am not trying to bag them. I thought the ref's were hardly noticed, which is how they should be! Well done to you two!

Reply #42983 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Disgusted,
No. 1 was Shane Crothers (foul mouth)
No. 2 was Paul Bell (10).

I am surprised at Paul Bell's behaviour in particular being the professional businessman that he is. I personally did not notice this particular incidence.

Reply #42997 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

I also did not notice any of the 3. Surprising Belly would do that he holds our referee's in very high regard and usually just goes about his business.

Nick Campbell had a bit of an attitude yesterday and was consistently arguing calls with the referees and naughty words slipped out. This was obviously not noticed by the Mav's official.

Reply #43004 | Report this post

Pierre  
Years ago

Bell should know better as manager of the academy and a role model.

This is a shocking example to be setting. It is standard beahviour from Crothers.

Reply #43015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgusted is obviously some wench from the bench - i saw it, it wasnt a kick but rather a nudge, i suggest that "disgusted" gets his, her or its facts right before carrying on in the future

Reply #43016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgusted is obviously some wench from the bench - i saw it, it wasnt a kick but rather a nudge, i suggest that "disgusted" gets his, her or its facts right before carrying on in the future

Reply #43017 | Report this post

Its a big boys game!
People swear, thats right and some people do it on the basketball court. Been to the football lately?
How about the cricket? People are sewaring in the PG movies your kids are watching. Get over it! Its a very intence game and sometimes, especially in finals, emotions spill over. Get a grip or stay home, or better yet go watch under 10s.

Reply #43025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right - i suggest that "disgusted" goes and starts doing benchwork at lawn bowls or something like that where they can have scones and tea whilst scoring.

Reply #43028 | Report this post

Disgusted  
Years ago

anon - i was someone from the bench, i already said that. As for being a wench... you'll need to proved a definition, because i am quite certain i dont fit that category.

You may have saw it, from the spectators side, but i felt it. I was sitting at the table next to the speaker, it was a kick. Either way, he needs to show more respect. He had no right to vent his frustration in that manner.

If your going to call someone names, be a man and put a name to it.

WHA - The first curse happened in the first quarter.
I refuse to beleive our society is lowering its standards to allow swearing to become commonplace.
It's not about being a "big boys" game, its about behaving in a manner suitable for the people around. The juniors at the game, or everyone for that matter did not deserve to be subjected to that spray of verbal diarrhoea. When you are in a position where people look up to, and respect you, players need to act appropriatly.

Scooby Doo - i noticed Campbell getting a bit edgy, particularly towards the West supporters, but i didn't hear anything un-toward.

Reply #43029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are you the Pope?

Reply #43031 | Report this post

disgusted  
Years ago

yes, Pope Benedict XIV. You'd have seen me in robes and mitre.

Does that classify me as a wench?

Reply #43034 | Report this post

Baz  
Years ago

Disgusted maybe you should ring in to Talking Hoops tomorrow night and discuss your issues witb bearcats skipper Mr Bell in person.

Reply #43038 | Report this post

disgusted  
Years ago

My pope duties mean i have to work tommorrow night. I will certainly be listening. Perhaps i will get one of my cardinals to ring on my behalf. I thought Mr Bell would have known better than to act in the way he did...

Reply #43039 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

There were no T's, no language warnings, overall a very intense, hard fought game.

There may have been a slip of the toungue a few times by both teams but it was a pretty tame match.

Impressed with the way Eastern played. Madgen and Bungey will be solid if not stars for years to come. I hope Sixers give Bungey a shot...

Reply #43040 | Report this post

evenmoredisgusted  
Years ago

disgusted, you are a weak pansy; no wonder you were on the bench; if you can't play a man's game, you should stay there

Reply #43045 | Report this post

disgusted  
Years ago

evenmoredisgusted - you dont know me. I do play. I dont play ABL, i can't commit to all the trainings, so i play a lower division. I help on the score bench to help out the club.

How and why am i a weak pansy. And can someone tell me why i am a wench?

Reply #43046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because you are whinging and moaning and complaining and dobbing like a girl (apologies to most girls out there).

Reply #43048 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #43050 | Report this post

disgusted  
Years ago

so because i have morals, and stand up for what i beleive. Because i dont appreciate foul-mouthed behaviour. Because i dont like being yelled out for volunteering my time. because i wont sit there while an opposition leader abuses our equipment, because of all that, i am a pansy.

I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself, anon.

Reply #43051 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

I agree I think you should call Talking Hoops tomorrow night and vent your frustration on the show I am sure Belly will be able to explain what happened and get some closure on this. I do feel as though you are making this a much bigger issue than it is. It was a knockout final. There were emotions, a big crowd and a tight game. I will be listening in look forward to it.

Swearing should not be tolerated in any junior games but seniors is another ball game the occasional slip of the tongue happens and not a big deal.

Reply #43101 | Report this post

Andrew Filmer  
Years ago

Disgusted and others,
YOu are correct that bad language which can be clearly heared is not excepted even in Aba.

there was one warning given for bad language on the court by the refs and generaly if players are in-polite to the score table personel who give up there time, the chair person would advise us and we would then deal with it.

Overall I thought the final was played in good spirit by both teams.

A good game to be involved in

Reply #43105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as i was also at the game i noticed it was being filmed. if want to see the kick of the speaker maybe you ask mavs for a copy

Reply #43127 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I agree with Disgusted that bad language should not be tolerated. Crothers was particularly bad with his language. He had spectators calling out to him to watch his tongue. If you play at ABL level you have to expect that you will have an audience. Not everyone takes kindly to bad language particularly parents who have their kids there. Besides that, it does nothing to improve your game so why use it. As a player you should be saving your energy on things that will improve your performance. This debate could go on forever by people both for and against swearing but you have to respect the ones who don't want to listen to bad language. Also don't tell them to stay at home if they can't tolerate the language because they are there to see a good game of basketball and bad language has never been a part of the game.

Reply #43128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#43127) all aba games are taped it is a requirement of the league for it to be filmed. the clubs are fined if there is no tape.

Reply #43129 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Just to leave everyone's mind at rest, I dropped the f-bomb at least five times tonight while playing social with disgusted. Unfortunately I couldn't find a speaker to kick.

Hot/Not coming Weds.

Reply #43146 | Report this post

Benn  
Years ago

I would also say there would be a tape as the game was well and truly filmed !!!!

I wouldn't know whether it would have the incident in discussion on it as it would have been focusing on a great intense battle not a speaker on the sideline !!!!

I certainly didn't see Bell's indiscretion - so I missed it and was probably more focused at the time on bigger things in the game.
- and at no time was unruly behaviour mentioned to me by the scoretable officials.

But yes, any unruly behaviour on court was dealt with in the correct fashion for the level of game that was played and hence was not a topic of discussion required in the post game evaluation of the referee's performance.

Yes, everyone from both playing groups seemed to go home happy knowing that it was a relatively clean and fair contest played in positive spirits. One of the best finals I have been involved in so far in my career.

Well done, to both teams and also, well done to Bob for a fantastic career in basketball - what a true legend of our sport.

Reply #43161 | Report this post

can't blame any unruly behaviour on west if Filmer was umpiring.

Reply #43171 | Report this post

Kafman  
Years ago

Crothers is from the football culture where everyone swears on the field.

At AAMI stadium spectators yell out far worse stuff in front of kids an don't get a word said to them.

I think it's wrong but anyone who's ever played footy knows it's part of the sport.

Reply #43183 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kafman, show me the Footy rules book that states that bad language is part of the sport. Its just so widespread that its a case of "if you can't beat them, join them".

Reply #43263 | Report this post

anonymuus  
Years ago

Disgusted I was at the game and I did see the incident. To me Bell was just walking over to the bench and stumbled on the speaker, he did not kick it. And to the other thing you say, players swearing? Come on give it a rest, after all its PLAYOFF TIME everyone shows a bit of emotion, so get used to it.

Reply #43272 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754