Anonymous
Years ago

Big V Games on Anzac Day

I am very unhappy that Big V games are scheduled for this weekend. I see it has a sign of disrespect that games are played on this day. Yes I know AFL/NRL plays on this day but we are a glorified domestic league and have no place on the calendar. Either a week off or games played on another day. I walk in the parade every year in respect of my grandfather, then have a meal at his favourite pub. Due to coaching in Regional Victoria this weekend, I am forced to cut this tradition short.

Any others feel this way?

Topic #36936 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason we have a choice is because of their sacrifice. You still have a choice, not disrespectful if you look at it the right way.

Reply #525596 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Given there is no additional public holiday, it is tough to schedule so many games on a Sunday...

Reply #525597 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

A lot of clubs are using these games to celebrate Anzac day.
With some donating door takings as well I believe (could be wrong).
I don't see a problem with it.

Reply #525641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an ex-servicemen I'm pleased to see sports being played on the afternoon of ANZAC day.

Reply #525664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respect in the morning. Sports in the afternoon and reflection in the evening. Perfect.
Ex-servicemen - Army.

Reply #525665 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

I hope the associations playing / hosting games this Saturday are doing something special to honour our hero's who made the ultimate sacrifice!

Does anyone know of any proceeds from the weekends games going to the RSL or any worthwhile related cause?

Reply #525704 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting ideas T, I will be at a couple of Big V events Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, so stay tuned and I will let you know what I observe...

I believe our local Associations have no domestic games this Saturday, which is a good thing. I agree with anon^^ we can all pay our respects in the morning and then chose how to enjoy the rest of the day, this is after all what our diggers gave their lives for!

Lest we forget...

Reply #525706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our Association is playing games for junior domestic in the afternoon, building into the BIG V game where a ceremony will be held with the ode and last post being paid live.

All RSL clubs in our region are being asked to invite any of their members who may wish to attend.

All proceeds from the BIG V game will be donated to Legacy. The club is alos putting up a temporary wall of honour displaying, photos and stories of ANZAC, many of them related to current family members within the club

How is this bad when the event actually honours the ANZACS, educates our community especially our young ones and donates to a great charity looking after family of loved ones who have served in theartres of War.

Anon 936 maybe you should be a bit more careful in comments without first getting the full facts.

My great uncle died in the first landing on April 25th at Gallipoli, I am wrapt with what my club is doing for this day.

It's timing also doesn't interfere with ANZAC day events in the morning.

Reply #525717 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754