KET
Years ago

NBL as of April 15

I know this thread is going over previously covered content, but in a sense it would be good to encapsulate the general situation surrounding the NBL at this point in time.

So, tell me if i'm wrong but this is what i've gathered from news articles, hoops talk and so on.....

The NBL has 6 teams currently committed (2 precariously placed):

Adelaide (Known to be weak financially, however there hasn't been any actual signals of struggle by ownership - but wouldn't surprise if an abrupt For Sale sign goes up with an off year or two of attendance/results)

Cairns (Community model going strong, and slightly profitable)

Perth (Million dollar profits, strong as it gets. Could see an off-season exploration into Asia)

New Zealand (Going strong and well backed)

Melbourne (Owners appear committed to basketball in Vic, have a long-term plan and willing to put money into it, which they have a fair amount of - Although wouldn't surprise if league politics made them want to leave, albeit no substance to back that up)

Sydney (Ownership backing Sydney well, however forced out of Entertainment Centre as it is being demolished. Moving to Olympic Park, home of the old West Sydney Razorbacks/Sydney Spirit. Too small for Sydney, Corporate clients won't come - could be the death of Sydney as other options aren't good enough. There was talk of a Basketball/Tennis arena in Moore Park, but nothing more than talk, and would take years to complete, time which Sydney probably don't have.)

In limbo...

Wollongong Hawks (Tipped to go out of administration as a result of a white knight sponsor to replace Wollongong Coal? Although track record suggests this really is only a temporary fix)

Townsville Crocodiles (Hit major troubles when forced to move to the RSL, but with new owners Jupiters for the old stadium, the rent has apparently been lowered for a move back? Unsure on the status of whether they are likely survive for the NBL season)

New Clubs

Brisbane (Was a "guarantee" to be in the NBL this coming season....until it wasn't. There has been little-no information with the exception that Basketball Australia retained Intellectual Property rights to the Bullets brand, allegedly tried to demand money from NBL for it, but it has now been transferred. If - a big if - Wollongong & Townsville don't make it this season, NBL likely to press ahead with bringing Brisbane back. However, all likelihood is that there won't be a brizzy this season.)

Second Victorian Team (There was news about a South-East Melbourne bid, and a competing Mark Cowan South Dragons bid with the latter likely having the advantage if a license were to be provided, but no further information has been provided. Given the new direction and reluctance to provide new licenses when other teams are struggling, this seems an unlikely proposition for the coming season.)

Wellington Team/Second NZ team (Wellington Saints owner has a history of wanting to send a team to the NBL, each year there is news of a push from NZ, and there's even been news of a potential other wellington bid that doesn't include the Wellington Saints owner. However, as stated above, NBL seems reluctant at this point. Unlikely for coming season.)

Hobart & Canberra Forget about it.

---

Free Agency & Signings

Free Agency period has been pushed back (until next week?)
No rumoured movements as of yet
In regards to 36ers - Johnson reported to be on a long-term deal, but there's no confirmation to that, Teys reported to potentially leave, but no real news on that, Motum there has been little news except for a 50/50 on returning to Adelaide. No news on Gibson or Wilson.

---

TV Deal & Fixture

Absolutely no news whatsoever here. Fixture depends on which teams are in the competition, and TV deal likely more lucrative if Brisbane enters. TV deal is apparently "well advanced" but no more info provided. Channel 10 has been widely rumoured to not want the NBL and would be happy to get rid of it. But might do a backflip like it did with netball and show a game of the week if paid to do so.

Foxtel looking like the most likely scenario - but even then, some bridges were burned with NBL years ago.

---
This is a seriously concerning amount of things that really do need to be addressed asap. The lack of much news makes it sound like everything is stagnant and will lead up to serious downsizing and issues in a league which can't afford to downsize anymore or have any more issues.

Topic #36945 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Are Adelaide actually in financial trouble or is that all specualtion...as you say, there have been no real signals?

Johnsons long term deal with Adelaide I believe was a promise/hand shake - I dont believe a deal has been formally signed. Motum is contracted with Adelaide but is 50/50 depending on him making an NBA roster - way too early to call.

Reply #525822 | Report this post

gonski  
Years ago

Hi Ket

Who is the "white knight" sponsor you talk of with the Wollongong Hawks?

I am a creditor and have not heard of any so called saviour?

Reply #525866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wouldn't be overly confident about Adelaide.

League is barely saying anything which worries me. Potentially shitting themselves behind the scenes?

Sad thing is, league/clubs in this situation stall out of panic and then ask for money once they've set season ticket pricing. Clubs, even if they don't know if they'll be alive or how many games they're selling, should be maintaining communication with their customers the entire off-season in preparation.

Reply #525977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember all the ceremony about Brisbane being in. What a joke that turned out to be.

Reply #525994 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754