Nix 79
Years ago

Any Lightning News???

Saw this article on Boti's page.....is there ANY news regarding Lightning for the 2015/16 season???

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/lightning-flash-cut-ties-with-bsa/

Lightning flash! Cut ties with BSA
DUMP Basketball South Australia. That's the first step anyone interested in suiting a WNBL club out of Adelaide should do, and in a hurry.

BSA has had retaining Adelaide Lightning in its "too hard" basket for weeks now, its CEO even taking holidays, such is the reality of its general lack of honest concern.

So why even bother with the short-sighted penny-pinchers who are sitting on around $1.9million in the bank but unwilling to do anything tangible to ensure an elite professional women's team in SA?

Yes, drawing bank interest for many of those "facility projects" that are on the drawing board is way more important than helping retain an elite pathway for our leading women and juniors.

(That's one of the reasons so many South Aussie women are kicking it interstate.)

One day we should examine just what has been going on with all those enriched facilities of BSA's, given new courts at Morphett Vale about five years ago is about all that has happened in a decade.

St Clair Wrecked Centre is abominable for Premier League usage - but at least there's that net protecting players and spectators from any falling ceiling tiles - Marion Stadium has had six lights on its main court out of commission all season, and let's not even start on Jo Hillcrest Stadium's gross inadequacies as a spectator facility.

Let's focus on Adelaide Lightning and anyone interested in retaining that club.

Here's a tip.

Bypass BSA. We all know what B-S-A stands for in the wider community and that's what it is full of now.

Leave them alone - they would not-so-secretly love having any Lightning responsibility taken from them anyway - and get talking to Adelaide 36ers about forming an elite powerhouse Adelaide Basketball Club.

The name is available, the original Adelaide Basketball Club long ago morphing into Adelaide Southern following its merger with Southern Districts, and Adelaide Southern subsequently amalgamating with Noarlunga City Tigers to form Southern Tigers Basketball Association.

A new, NBL-WNBL Adelaide Basketball Club - maybe down the track it could produce two SEABL teams to boot - would require membership-based support to get off the ground.

As a non-for-profit organisation, it could access Government grants and any profit turned would go back into basketball.

It's a win-win that just needs a "hurry-hurry" as clubs such as the Perth Wildcats-backed Perth Lynx, South East Queensland and Townsville Fire continue to add pieces while Adelaide remains piecemeal.

But that's because everyone keeps waiting for the BS Artists at BSA to actually do something when all the boffins there are concerned about is their exit strategy.

Time is running out. We can't let the dullards and the ditherers rule.

Topic #36958 | Report this topic

';'  
Years ago

Very well said.. Is it time that clubs got together to remove the CEO? seriously enough is enough.. and not just over the lightning

Reply #525987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clubs alone can't get rid of the CEO.

Reply #525992 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

There's plenty of stickers advising to join the lightning surge to help power up the lightning. How that's helping I don't know. Can't envisage it happening. Most other rosters would be well under way to filling and even a cheap development team of those left development would still lose plenty $.

Reply #525998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am hearing there will be a team, not all doom and gloom as Boti would like to paint, he isn't a fan of the CEO and he has to write something. He could put his hand in his pocket too and buy a share in the team don't see him or other bleaters in doing that. but I hear from very good sources there will be a team.

Reply #526000 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

bleating?

He's actually making a lot of sense.

BSA's track record is far from enviable, the CEO's even less so.

All avenues need to be explored and discussed, BSA's involvement may well be poison.

If an alternate plan ensures the survival of an Adelaide team, to hell with the current setup.

Reply #526007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me understand: BASA bailed out by government with part of the problem being supporting national teams.

How much did he say it was that Vince put in. It wouldn't take long for the money accumulated to be lost and does that mean the bad old days of BASA returning?

I'm glad Boti doesn't oversee any of my money!!

Reply #526011 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

I think Boti's emphasis is on the overusing imperative need for a team however achieved. While some commercial decisions seemed clearly dubious and costly (staging games at Arena, Whyalla, paying overs for dud imports), they provided a profile and a path and achieved SA's desires. Better choices may reduce the expenses but it appears B SA remains reluctant to risk potential I going losses no matter what the public wants. Hence something more radical should be thrown up for attention and contemplation.

Reply #526027 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Overriding not overusing

Reply #526029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Razor,

The bulk of the monies paid are for league payment and accommodation and court hire for trainings, medical expenses etc.

Even paying $0 for players and playing out of Wayville BSA would be $300K in the hole without corporate support.

And what corporate body would support a team that doesn't win a game??? And plays out of Wayville??? In a competition without TV???

Reply #526035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA SHOULD and probably would be more than happy to not have anything to do with it now. But the thing is no one wants to take over and bleed money into it. That is not BSAs fault (for once).
Why should they follow the exact same path that caused the initial government bailout in the first place?

Reply #526036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want to see a team, I don't wish to see BSA fund it and go broke. If I had money to spend on funding a team I'd do it in a heart beat unfortunately I am not that rich. but still think Boti is banging on to sell papers so to speak.

Reply #526043 | Report this post

Years ago

funny how the govt crucified BSA because they had put a few $ in to support some of our states national sporting teams. yet the same mob threw hundreds of millions into an oval that we didn't need and we all had to think it was wonderful.

Reply #526045 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Agree. And govermmemt money went into the Entertainment Centre and Netball centre after their dithering had forced commitment to the Arena, millions into Football Park and > $10M to developing buses & route servicing it. And in the Adelaide Oval bailout $85M SACA debt wiped yet SACA still reaps major benefit. Do we need a basketballing politician?

Reply #526070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti wouldn't have any daughters by chance of the age and possible potential to play WNBL? There is always an agenda with Boti, and, my friends....that is why he is pushing this barrow to the n-th degree.

Reply #526075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you seen his daughters shooting percentage. They would be no where close to playing at this level

Reply #526101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play the ball, not the player please.

Regardless of any bias by Boti, he is no doubt passionate about basketball. To comment on his daughters playing abilities in a conversation about the Lightning means you've taken your eyes off the ball.

Reply #526128 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

So there's no official news then on whether a team will happen....just a few rumours???

Reply #526164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone asks for a basketball politican, another complains about a basketball journalist (with an especial interest via children who play). We want more of both.

Reply #526190 | Report this post

Jeremy Moule mentioned at the Braves game over an impromptu interview with the court announcer that he was in the process of moving to Melbourne.

Reply #526197 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

Right.......so he is obviously not coaching then. I wish there was some news. I signed up to the Lightning Surge thing, but apart from one email asking people if they knew anyone who wanted to sponsor the team, there's been nothing. They've known since July that they needed to do something, it's crazy!!!

Reply #526226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is official there will be no Adelaide Lightning team in the 2015/16 as the haven't came up with a sponsor and haven't came up with the money. It was in the Advertiser this morning.

Reply #526434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please post a link.

Reply #526438 | Report this post

Amy  
Years ago

Saw that this morning to, they where never going to get a sponsor when they finished on the bottom of the ladder for the last two season and no one will watched them. This is very disappointing for the Adelaide Lighting, but saw this coming a while ago.

Reply #526446 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

Is the article online anywhere???

Reply #526492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a load of codswallop was not in the paper today, if it had been it would also be linked to Boti's page. NO WAY it was in paper today.

Reply #526493 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

I wish they would just sort it out - one way or the other!

Reply #526590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all know that they won't have team in the wnbl. By now there would be some news what is going on by the club, that means they haven't find anyone to help them out. They started Lightning Surge to get them out of trouble and to find a sponsor from July and it hasn't observably work out. Adelaide Lighting just tell you won't have team, don't be SCARED.

Reply #526619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeremi Moule has been appointed Commissioner of the WNBL at Basketball Australia

Reply #526660 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Email just out - they need further combinations of support of $20,000 or more totalling another $150,000 by 15th May.

Reply #526700 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

Yes I saw that email....it's not looking good.

Reply #526825 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Alex Bunton signed with the Rangers.

Reply #527054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much is BSA putting in to this if any?
I would have thought 150k for them is doable.....unless they are already tipping in bucket loads???

Reply #527059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be nice to know who is running the Club if they want my money.

Reply #527062 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

abctvnews ran the story..150k needed by 15may...hubbard thinks a Uni partner is the way to go.....stirling thinks there will be a twam with an import.some u18s and a good coach.....................................borrego is an aussie

Reply #527137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having it as an ABC story says everything you need to know about why it wont work.

Why would a UNI drop $300 thousand per year? And what student union is going to accept that the uni gets that sort of money for a National sporting team when student services are getting cut left and right.

Reply #527138 | Report this post

Years ago

first thing we need to stop thinking about is big $ / big name imports.

hopefully hodges and marino will be available.

we have some fantastic junior talent coming through.

It will have to get back to playing for the singlet / love of the sport - not just show me the money because clearly there isn't any.

Alright - so they won't keep up with the Townsville and SE Q teams - but so be it - get back to basics if we are to have a national league.

Reply #527147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodges and Marino can both get $100K+ playing in europe.

And it wont keep up with Anyteam in the league.

Hell, it wouldn't keep up with most of the SEABL teams.

Reply #527149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Europe Marino will have to PAY $100K to warm the bench, $200K to get onto court in garbage time.

And this is less BS then saying she can get $100K

Reply #527157 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Doubt Marino will stick around now. Also, would Lightning want her??

Reply #527179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marino can play as a european citizen

Reply #527183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodges has already signed on with Bourges Basket for the 2015/16 season.

Reply #527184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame, Adelaide.
I thought you were a proud basketball city.
Amazing team with amazing tradition. Hate to see it dying like this.

Reply #527197 | Report this post

the phoenix  
Years ago

just rebuilding - not dying

Reply #527206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is dying because the costs are prohibitive - as seen by the fact noone wants anything to do with it.
BSA shouldn't tip in one cent - it is how BASA ended up financially cripped in the first place.
Even not paying any players, the budget for venue hire/affiliation etc would be over 100K.

Reply #527207 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

Wow, so sad that no-one is prepared to invest in women's sport. And very sad that Basketball SA have left it so late to organise anything that all the players have left (and who can blame them?). It's looking more and more like there will not be a team at all.

Reply #527211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you haven't noticed, no ones really investing in men's basketba either

Reply #527212 | Report this post

i  
Years ago

Nobody really knows - if you are dinkum talk it up and not down so any potential investors can see involvement in something that the community wants and identifies with.

Reply #527214 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

after a loss, lucas and ninnis decided to change the starting line up and start sam...marino was upset ,thinking they were blaming her for the loss.........been hard to market lightning since then...

Reply #527294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel31,

if that situatoin were the case, why is it so hard to market them now and why is it so hard to market the 36ers who are not involved with the lightning.

Reply #527306 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

good growth at sixers last 2 years...decline at lightning

Reply #527310 | Report this post

visionary  
Years ago

has anyone taken it to the minister for sport in SA ? even just for comment ?

what about advocates for womens sport ?

the womens sport network page ?

at least we know the pandas got several million.....

but the future basketball options for our girls..... ?

Reply #527364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play in their state leagues for the love of the game. Just because it's a sport doesn't mean we need a national league. Play overseas if you're good enough. Sorry if that seems harsh but it's just the way it is

Reply #527368 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't really like where this is likely to head up.

There appears to be a real lack of enthusiasm for the Lightning and a sense of urgency surrounding the team.

I know one of the things floated by a former member of the SOS was to have a Basketball SA levy to help fund the Sixers. With BSA having a large pyramid of players in their organisation, what would a $5/season/player levy raise? Could this meet the shortfall?

Reply #527369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And why should we? Basketball is a ridiculously expensive sport as it is.

Reply #527370 | Report this post

visionary  
Years ago

keep it in perspective - look at the moneys spent / costs involved for everything else in this world.

you would think that $150k could be found somewhere - what about 300 $500 sponsors with privileges / special offers.

Reply #527379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

300 $500 sponsors should be easy... seriously i like the thinking

Reply #527384 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

Sadly I think the Lightining will go. They dont have a Bendat like figure in SA (who just bought out the WNBL WA teams license from WA and rebranded them the Lynx).

Its a shame yes, and its showing just how hard it is to fund a team nowadays.

Reply #527391 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

I saw this on both the Channel 10 and Channel 9 news in Adelaide tonight.....a reasonably substantial story about the plight of Lightning. While I think it's just a TAD late in getting this kind of publicity, at least it is out there - hopefully someone new saw it and might be interested. The BAsketball SA guy did say they had put a submission forward that would go a long way towards the 150K, be interesting to know what that is.

Reply #527397 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

BSA has shown a fairly obvious indifference to the future of one of the best female sporting franchises ever produced in Australia.

It's a stance that is markedly at odds with BA's objectives for its national women's league. So much so that the latest release has been counter-signed by Anthony Moore. A sure sign that the overdue 're-calibration' of BSA has commenced (so that they are as one with BA and the other State Associations in regard to a truly national women's league).

Boti has recently reiterated that it is well within BSA's financial capacity to meet the deadline and immediately fund the Lightning for the upcoming season. But my hunch is that identifying and then implementing the right management model for a South Australian WNBL team will be the sticking point that prevents an SA team from participating in the 2015-16 season.

Reply #527411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes BSA can pay $200K and have a lightning team. But why would they?

That same money could be spent on increasing memberships in clubs and generating revenue rather than being spent on a competition that loses money each and every year.

Reply #527413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the last time BSA (then BASA) funded elite program it went bankrupt.

Reply #527414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as much as it hurts not having a wnbl team in 2015/2016 I would prefer BSA not to fund it, too much pain from the BASA funded national league teams that sent it bankrupt. Fiscally responsible BSA is what I want to see.

Reply #527415 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Previous negative outcomes from funding elite programs and the need for fiscal responsibility shouldn't be seen as stumbling blocks. No-one seriously believes that BSA should take sole financial responsibility for the program. That cannot work.

Surely however, they do have chief responsibility for devising or endorsing a solution and instituting a management model that can work?

I don't believe for a moment that BSA would be happy with a situation that envisages a player getting all their junior coaching in SA but in order for that player to reach WNBL level they have to play somewhere else in Australia.

Reply #527422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is that no one else is willing to put any money at all into the Lightning. So it's either BSA or nothing.

Nearly even good player in this state in some way, shape or form heads interstate to become a good player.

Be it the CoE or college. The Lightning doesn't do this for our players, it has always had more players from interstate than SA anyway.

Reply #527452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. BSA should be using its finances to improve some of the deplorable infrastructure we have to endure. Some of the stadiums we have to play in are just not up to it.

Reply #527499 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

I heard on the radio today in a news story that the government are unlikely to put any money into Lightning at all.

Reply #527704 | Report this post

i  
Years ago

Would like to hear the opposition sports ministers thoughts on the matter then. And any ministers for women's empowerment.

Reply #527706 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

Yes it would be interesting.

Lightning has certainly got a lot of air time in the last few days on TV and radio.....more than the entire season last year!

Reply #527725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if BA get their way and have the WNBL season changed ,shortened and the un19s ruling put in place you won't need a wnbl team in SA as the competition will cease to exist.

Reply #527729 | Report this post

Genie maccas  
Years ago

Reply #527732 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

Sport's Minister's quote from Boti's article today

"Mr Bignell said the Government was looking after grassroots and facilities, while corporate SA got behind top-tier sporting clubs."

I needed a laugh today after Port losing yesterday

Reply #527904 | Report this post

visionary  
Years ago

govt was heavily involved in adel oval redevelopment - whilst we play in 60 year old sheds

Reply #527910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much money does Adelaide oval bring to the government/ the economy etc.
how much money does women's basketball bring to anything at all? Or basketball in general.

Reply #527914 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

How much money did cricket bring to the Adelaide Oval development? Netball to the netball centre?

Reply #527915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if clubs stop spending $200k(!!!!!) on players they could afford to have a team in the comp or at least be able to afford a bit of paint to do up their sheds

Reply #527919 | Report this post

visionary  
Years ago

visiting teams use accommodation and travel - international teams will visit and accommodation / travel.

Media exposure brings fans to finals (i.e. interstate visitors) brings talent into the state.

whatever way you coat it - losing the lightning is a loss to the state - not just basketball.

Reply #527932 | Report this post

visionary  
Years ago

excellent level of exposure in today's advertiser !

Reply #527933 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

stop typing rubbish.. $200k??

at least base an argument on realistic figures

you'll also find most of the tin sheds are actually NOT owned by the Clubs

they're leased by BSA and sub-let to the Clubs

but then why base hysteria on fact?

Reply #527934 | Report this post

visionary  
Years ago

hopefully some phone calls / emails have come in after today's advertiser story

Reply #527935 | Report this post

visionary  
Years ago

don't compare cricket's return for money spent to basketball - look at %s of the community playing basketball and crowds vrs other sports and the moneys they receive in govt / corporate support.

Think you will find a large amount of basketballers across the community.

Reply #527936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its up to the basketball community to be heard.

Want the State Government to give something to basketball then call/email/write to your local MP and demand basketball get a fair go.

It's called lobbying and all major sports do it, except basketball.

Reply #527937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep that 200k figure was based on a number I saw as I sped-read through the article. That ones on me. Didn't read it properly and assumed that was someone's salary. Either way, national level basketball is on its inevitable way out

Reply #527953 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Adelaide Lighting's WNBL future has been secured after $150,000 shortfall covered

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-lightings-wnbl-future-has-been-secured-after-150000-shortfall-covered/story-fnii09ki-1227364886051

Reply #529329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754