Anonymous
Years ago

WMW to draft?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/william-mcdowell-white-could-be-headed-for-the-2016-nba-draft-after-interest-from-scouts/story-fni9r20i-1227316856692

Thoughts from those who have seen him play

Topic #36964 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've only had a limited sample size of watching 3-4 games at nationals where he played. Offensively, he is extremely good. In the open floor he has multiple speeds and is lightning quick with the ball. Can get to the rim and finish or makes really smart passes. In the half court set, he is solid. Has a above average outside shot (not elite, but not terrible) and has a skill set that will enable him to play at higher levels. He could take over more games and score more, but looks like he enjoys making passes (very unselfish).

Defensively he was a little average for mine. Looked disinterested quite a bit, didn't fight through on ball screens and because of his height on the QLD North team he played the SF and guarded SF's who weren't the most explosive players. If he is to move to PG at the senior level, he will have to get used to guarding extremely fast PG's and get used to being hit with screens A LOT. Given his athleticism and speed on offence, I can't see why he wouldn't be able to develop that skill, it appeared more of a mentality thing that he needs to switch on for defence. He has the wingspan and height to disrupt on the defence is he can add the mentality would be a danger.

All this said, it was from only watching a few games at nationals so very small sample size, but he was definitely the most exciting player to watch all week.

Reply #526060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course scouts will be keen on him, also performed well at Adidas Nations last year, but I would expect at least one decent year at a US D1 College first.

Reply #526062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he has all the talent to make it in the nba. If he puts on some weight and works on his defence, he'll be a star. His like the opposite of delly? Everything the nba looks for in terms of skill and athleticism, but doesn't seem to have the drive, will, effort give it all attitude like delly has. To me he seems a little lazy.

Reply #526063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he has all the talent to make it in the nba. If he puts on some weight and works on his defence, he'll be a star. His like the opposite of delly? Everything the nba looks for in terms of skill and athleticism, but doesn't seem to have the drive, will, effort give it all attitude like delly has. To me he seems a little lazy.
Do you think he might suit the 2 better?

Reply #526064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad... Double posted.

Reply #526065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D1 college is a whole new world above what he has played. Roll the dice and try and do an Exum? No way, has to do the college road and reality is will need to improve there first.

Reply #526069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawaii or Portland would not be a great choice.

Some of the better schools recruiting Aussies?
Lsu, Louisville, Baylor, Nebraska, st Mary's, Boise, New Mexico, Washington state, Eastern washington?

Nebraska might be a good fit with mcveigh and pinder going there.

Reply #526072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looks like his nudging 6" 6 now and the knee guards indicate growing pains. Might top out at a genuine 6" 7".

What a back court that would be with Exum.

Reply #526074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum has lost his ability to get to the rim.
A confidence thing maybe?
He can easily beat his first man... Hopefully next season he will penetrate more and get to the basket.
More size, more stamina, shot creation, shooting he needs to work on in the off season.

Reply #526077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article is crap. He just played u18 Nationals so he turns 17 this year. He has to turn 19 in the year of the draft, so CAN'T be drafted in 2016.

Aside from that, I agree w/ #064 above. Before taking him seriously as an NBA prospect, I'd like to see him do what Exum did at Worlds. There seem to have been a lot of easier roads taken on his pathway so far, and I'm not sold until he goes over some of the hurdles instead of around them. They may not have been deliberately avoided on his part, but the fact remains that so far he's just looked good and put up numbers.

Reply #526090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's gotta have a good worlds. I have a feeling he's got problems with grades which is why college may not be an option

Reply #526095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol what do you base that on,nothing but the fact he's indigenous I bet.

He went to churchie ffs.

Reply #526096 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

Did you read the name of the clown who wrote the article? Not a courier mail writer but very amateurish suburban paper.

Will can't decalre in 2016 as he wont be old enough. Need to be at least 19 to do so.

He's like the Steve Carfino of journalism.

Don't get me wrong, will is a superb talent but would love to see him make a junior Australian team without his old man pulling him out because they won't play him at point guard. Interesting to see how that discussion will go down with a big time D1 coach or national team coach....

Reply #526100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No for the fact that he's struggling with his grades at Iggy Park... Nice try on the race card tho

Reply #526102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure mate, if any of that was true it would have been in your original post

Reply #526104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player no doubt but not sure he'a not draft material yet. The Derrick Rose comparisons aren't helpful

Reply #526134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah not right now, 2017 he will be though. Not saying anything earth shattering here but a year of college will top him off.

Looking forward to seeing him at worlds and adidas nations. 2016 class in the states is a bumper class so will get a good guage if he goes up against them at nations. Last year as a 16 year old he did perform well against one Jamal Murray

Reply #526142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nudging 6'4" not 6' 6"

Reply #526181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He measured 6'4 at last years nations. Has clearly grown another 1" 5" since then. Pics of him next to 6" 10 Froling clearly indicate he's well above nudging 6" 4"

Reply #526200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't froling 205cm? Wouldn't that make him 6'9?

Reply #526219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry is 6'10" and a 1/2 according to him! Don't forget the half

Reply #526222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team of the future imo... All under 21. Bright future for sure!
Pg/sg 6'6 exum/6'5 w.White/6'2 vasljevic
Sg/sf 6'7 Adel/6'7 mcveigh/6'5 krebs
Sf/pf 6'10 Simmons/6'10 bolden
Pf/c 7'1 T.maker/7'0 Joseph acuil
C 7'0 Humphries/7'1 perry

Mixed with older guys from college in the next few years....
Drmic, greenwood, McCarron, jois, mathiang, Malone, landale etc etc.
And youngish guys playing pro...
Dellavedova, mills, ingles, baynes, bairstow, Broekhoff, motum, Goulding.

Reply #526229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The author of the article is the Assistant Coach for Spartans SEABL and handles all the media coming out of Carina. Its no more than a fluff piece to raise the Spartans profile at the the start of the SEABL season , which is also strange seeing Will does not even play there anymore.

Going to Churchie on a scholarship will not get him to a Div 1 college , everyone needs to get the SAT mark required regardless of where you attended High School.

Reply #526252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to Scout and WMW, Louisville, LSU, MSU and Arizona are in on him.

Reply #533964 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754