Anonymous
Years ago

Making it into a district team

Hey guys, does anyone know the lowest grade of district that any team fields a team in? Is it div 5? Love basketball and reckon I'm alright but never played on a district level team before and would basically need to learn everything from scratch in terms of plays and things like that so would be useless to a higher grade team at least at first. Also what's the best way to try out for these teams? Thanks for any advice

Topic #37055 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look up the BSA website and work out which clubs you are interested in trying out for.
Contact their Junior / Senior program manager and express your interest.
You should be put in touch with the appropriate coach and be given a training time and venue.
Given you are placed in a team you will then need to purchase a uniform and pay fees.

If you are a junior, some clubs may want to look at you in a domestic comp first.

Good luck

PS - suggest you practice a lot of dribbling with your non-preferred hand if you haven't already got that down.

Reply #528080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, didn't expect an answer that good so quickly! Are the teams I can play for only the ones closest to me? Ie I have to live in that "district"? If not, are there teams noted for their development/ coaching quality in the lower grades?

Reply #528082 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

find your local club and contact them - some clubs have teams in stronger social comps for seniors as well (adel uni is one I can think of)

Reply #528089 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

Best to shop around at this stage. We're a couple months into the main winter season, most teams have been set but some are probably crying out for a player in the lower grades. Later on in the year there are tryouts for each club, then you will be selected in a team deemed appropriate to your level.
This weekend it is state championships where the top divisions of each club battle it out in a tournament. All stadiums are being used I think so head out and have a look, free entry.
Good luck.
Ps, if you're a 7 foot 16 year old I call dibs.

Reply #528103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin Hamilton?

Reply #528106 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

#106 = Gold, lmfao!!!

Reply #528109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to Mavericks they will take anyone and place you in a div 1 and 2 teams!

Reply #528126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd kill to be 6 foot let alone 7. Might just continue with social til the end of the season and go out before the new season. Did think it might be too late to look at it now. Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated!

Reply #528142 | Report this post

Beefolomew  
Years ago

Just give it a crack. I didn't play district (div 2) until well into my 30s - was playing A-grade social before that for the most part - but enjoyed the experience and all aspects of my game improved.

Reply #528253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754