Aussiebballer
Years ago

Is there any news from the NBL?

Any NBL news at the moment?

Is there a fixed date for Cairns and Wollongong to be in next season?

How can free-agency start Friday if we still don't know what teams are playing?

Topic #37058 | Report this topic

gongski  
Years ago

There has still been NO formal proposal by the hawks to the administrator regarding a DOCA and with free agency starting on Friday I don't see how the NBL could come out and say there are in. And then how can players be expected to wait around which any decent player agent will be shopping Wollongong players around and so he should. So then how does the Hawks coaching staff assemble a team. NBL just needs to make a decision and move forward. If they cant meet the administrators requirements to exit VA then the league unfortunately for next season needs to move on and maybe the Hawks can get all their ducks in a row for next season. Oh and BTL I am a creditor of the Hawks so I know factually that NO proposal from the club has been put to the creditors.

Reply #528158 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Cairns are fine, i think u mean Townsville!

Reply #528165 | Report this post

toughness  
Years ago

its a really weird situation they are in, they could shut it down and try to start again, but they run the risk of complete and utter exodus from the fans and they could plummet even further down, but if they go ahead without putting anything in to help the clubs grow and develop (which will take time) they are doomed to fail

maybe soon every club will become bankrupt and thats when they will close down

Reply #528169 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I wouldnt think every club is going to go bankrupt. Some of them (Perth and MElbourne) have very wealthy owners (I think in fact Jack Bendat is actually going up in the wealth rankings.. his money isnt tied to iron ore).

Reply #528171 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think if they cant get it all sorted by June they should just chuck it in. No point running a half arsed league of shenanigans, just get it right and the crowds will come.

Reply #528206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gongski, are you a player agent?

Reply #528208 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Townsville will be playing NBL this season.

The Advertiser reported this 3 weeks ago (April 24):

"Holmes' Crocs were saved on Thursday when creditors confirmed their acceptance of a new deal, which means a club restructure. But Townsville lives on."

As yet, though, I haven't seen an announcement about this on the NBL site nor on the Townsville Crocs' site. They have put stuff on there about the move back to The Swamp for 2015-16.

As per Gongski's post above, Wollongong have yet to present a plan acceptable to creditors. The deadline for that is ~24 May, if I remember correctly. That's based on the reported outcome of the creditors' meeting on 10 April where a 45 day extension was given. If I've got the dates wrong, happy to be corrected. There's a report on that 10 April meeting on the NBL website, in the news items.

Reply #528211 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The silence from the Hawks over the past few weeks are really concerning.

Reply #528235 | Report this post

wortho  
Years ago

Shaping as 7 teams next season, what a joke. Why not get Wellington in to boost numbers, 8 is the bare minimum imo.

Reply #528247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Larry K's deal gets up wouldnt he underwrite all 8 teams, so the league would be as is, and then things like expansion would be explored.

I also see no reason why Wellington couldnt come in, if they have the $$$ and meet the criteria.

Reply #528250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure where natwhereyouat is look at. I've seen a couple of stories in the Mercury and have been following their twitter account.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3070185/hawks-back-kestelmans-nbl-ownership-bid/?cs=302

https://twitter.com/hawkstakeflight/status/596612550063628288

Reply #528264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In regards top the Hawks situation, I believe the extension would be 45 business days, so PeterJohn's date could be pushed back a little.

But as far as updates on the Hawks, the Mercury has run a few stories and there have been items posted on facebook and twitter on the Hawks Take Flight pages.

Reply #528272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some minor Cats news

Perth Wildcats choose not to sign Earnest Ross
The Perth Wildcats have decided not to sign Earnest Ross to its 2015/16 playing roster.
The Wildcats will fulfil all of its financial commitments to Ross, while at the same time supporting him with his basketball aspirations.
We wish Earnest all the best for his future endeavors.
"We decided to advise him this week, so he can be declared a free-agent by Friday to give him the best opportunity to continue in the NBL," said Nick Marvin
“We thank Earnest for his year with us and wish him all the best with his basketball aspirations.”
The departure of Ross means the Perth Wildcats have two positions remaining on its 2015/16 playing roster.

Reply #528278 | Report this post

el presidente  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats have let Earnest Ross go, so if any of the other teams are still upset about missing out on their Guam imports then give Earnest a call.

Reply #528280 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

If Ross has been paid for the upcoming season the league/Perth should gift him to the Hawks.

Reply #528283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks should look at Earnest Ross. Way better value than Jahii Carson and he's not even an import.

Reply #528288 | Report this post

imm  
Years ago

Anyone signing Hamilton? He would be good for marketing reasons also.

Reply #528306 | Report this post

Lo 40  
Years ago

And now uu going. Wildcats having a clear out

Reply #528335 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Neither of these guys were impact players so Wildcats just freshening up their list. Probably find 5 - 6 familiar faces return.

Reply #528339 | Report this post

el presidente  
Years ago

Ben Madgen leaving the Kings to pursue European dreams.

Reply #528409 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I thought a vote on Kestlemans deal would have been made last friday. Any news on that?

Reply #528872 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754