TheFoxHat
Years ago

Basketball Loyalty

When will the Aussie ballers figure out that support for a locally born and raised ballers is what we want. The premier league craves for local talent to stay home and stop slutting themselves overseas for dirty money. Aussie ball could be great we just need some loyalty from our players. If you can make NBA then go for it, but if you can't you need to pass on the Euro trash Puerto rico, Brazillian and Asian leagues. All you become is a homegrown Ghost.

Topic #37082 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmmm if you were offered 2,3 sometimes 4 times what you earn in your current job to go overseas, would you?

The NBL is about as stable as a two legged chair....

Reply #528526 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

the only ghosts are the one's electing to stay home

why not take your game to the world.. travel, opportunity and secure financial stability?

an extremely dumb move to stay here and not expand your horizons

loyalty?...to sub standard leagues?

Reply #528530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go and play in a respected league overseas or in a glorified amateur league here. Kno which one I'd and everyone with a brain would pick

Reply #528534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To TheFoxHat, I can't imagine why you would say "slutting themselves overseas for dirty money".

Why is it dirty money and why are they slutting themselves? If you can earn big money overseas rather than live on the bread line in Australia, then why not? Would you begrudge an accountant or a lawyer doing the same thing in an effort to progress their career? I think not.

Loyalty doesn't pay the bills and the reality is that there isn't enough money in professional basketball in Australia

Perhaps all those Aussies leaving are the only reason people like you might be getting a game, if so you should be grateful.

And I would add, that when basketball clubs show loyalty to players, then perhaps players will show loyalty to clubs in return. The problem is that clubs on the one hand will demand loyalty, and on the other hand will wipe players like a dirty rag when they don't want them anymore.

I wish any player who travels overseas to ply their trade all the best and to them, be grateful you don't have to associate with people like TheFoxHat who clearly has no concept of what professional sport is all about.

Reply #528535 | Report this post

billy hoyle  
Years ago

Players go overseas because more money better leagues.....Bottom line!!!

3 things KILLING our NBL.
1. Player Point System
2. Not paying for quality imports
3. Not capitalizing on young talent coming back from college.....NBL clubs continue to recycle older guys who were done being major minute players 4 years ago.....Young more exciting players come home from college and sit behind veterans who are done.....

Reply #528570 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Billy I love your passion but you could easily argue there are 3 things keeping the NBL afloat:
1) Player Point System: the idea of it is not bad and gives the teams who can't afford all big names some shot at parity
2) Not paying for quality imports: if a team can't really afford them then they shouldn't pay more. It's more important to have a sustainable team then to have one exciting season with LeBron James. Cairns are a great example of spending within their means.
3) Not capitalizing on young talent coming back from college: the truth is that just because you went to college it doesn't make you an NBL level player. If a college player is a standout they will get offers. Whilst I personally agree that the young players in the league should get more opportunities than the washed up players, it's the washed up players that the fans know and come to see, so you need to keep the paying public happy.

Reply #528575 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting points, but the OP smells of another troll just stirring the pot for me...

Reply #528600 | Report this post

billy holye  
Years ago

At the end of the day people want to be entertained.....they want to get in their cars feeling like they got their money worth....watching a bunch of older slower guys who would rather lay it up than dunk is not worth the money....
You go back to when the NBL was rocking and every good team had the same formula for success 2 high paid high scoring imports 2 Olympic level Aussies and talented local role players being developed....
As I see it the point system stops teams from stacking with the best Aussie talent but at the end of the day if every team was paying the imports the most money teams would not be able to stack their teams and there lays the balance....
NBL fell way off when clubs decided to stop paying imports and start paying Boomers....I'm not saying they don't deserve to be paid but NBL clubs are a business and professional sports is an entertainment business....

Reply #528602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ this. How much did Perth benefit from getting Ennis for a season. D-League Max salary is 25k, why aren't NBL clubs trying to import these players, some of who are close to making NBA rosters/ were drafted to NBA teams

Reply #528604 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

By that insane logic Hugh Jackman and Heath Ledger should have hung around looking to star in the latest bit of crap to appear on tv, Kylie Minogue should have stayed on neighbour's and INXS should have stayed doing gigs at the local pubs.
Yeah, let's pass up being paid to live in a European city doing the thing you love to play at Hillcrest in the middle of winter and have to work at footlocker part time to make ends meet.

Reply #528619 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

When you're a young teen, usually excelling at most sports, the reason you choose Basketball (especially over AFL) is because you dream of playing internationally and/or making seriously big money.

Reply #528638 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

A wise man once said "cash rules everything around me, cream, get the money, dollar dollar bill y'all"

Reply #528649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754