Isaac
Years ago

Funny SA Basketball Academy

The South Australian Basketball Academy is to be established for 16 18-23 yr old promising ABA Players with a view and an objective of providing a squad that will enable a future selection base for the 36ers and provide those players selected with the best possible opportunity of playing NBL.

The Academy will provide a follow-on from the SASI program which normally finishes at the age of 17 and will also provide a vehicle for those players who develop and improve at a later age, usually once they start playing senior basketball. Some examples of such players in the past have been Scott Ninnis, Jason Dix and Jason Williams to name just a few.

The Adelaide Buffaloes was definitely a similar concept when it was around many years ago however it was because of such a program that the NBL careers of many players were launched including Scott, Brett Wheeler, Chris Blakemore, David Spear etc. More players had the opportunity to play NBL when there was a program such as this than at any other time.

The concept will involve 2 team training sessions a week as well as individual sessions. Off court workshops will also be conducted, eg strength and conditioning, nutrition, life after basketball etc.

All parties have been very supportive of the concept including Adelaide 36ers Management and Coaching staff, ABA Club Presidents and SASI.

The formation of a Sub Committee has been discussed which will monitor and report on player's progress. This committee has yet to be officially confirmed but will more than likely consist of Academy Head Coach Scott Ninnis, a representative from the Adelaide 36ers Coaching staff and Board as well as Director of Coaching Neil Gliddon. External consultation will also be sought from State Coaches and ABA Head Coaches. This group represents all parties interests and should prove to be a valuable tool in selection and monitoring of talent.

An inaugural group of players will meet tomorrow night and a final squad will be selected in the coming week(s).

The Academy does have to be self funded and as a result we will be looking for a major sponsor and individual player sponsors as well as club and government funding options.

Club Presidents were very supportive of the concept when we met last week.

The Academy will train on a rotating basis at the various clubs (eg Sundays) to enable all people to see the group in action and the coaching staff will also run clinics etc for the juniors of all the clubs at some stage throughout the year.

The Academy will ideally play 10 curtain raisers to Sixer games. These games will be against ABA teams.

It is very important that the basketballing public is supportive of this concept.

We would be very interested in discussing it further with any potential sponsors.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on the numbers below for further information.

Regards

Paul Bell
General Manager
South Australian Basketball Academy
C/- MVP Sports Consultants

Ph. 8232 1645
Mob. 0412 552 302

Topic #371 | Report this topic

Grey Area  
Years ago

Isaac,

Can you pass on to Scott Ninnis or Paul Bell, the idea of involving the 36ers Development squad for referees.

They consist of referees that have been identified with the potential to move to the next level ie: National eferee Development program.

A few of these guys (including myself) have been consistently refereeing ABL the last couple of years.

It might be good to get these guys involved in the refereeing of the curtain raisers should they come about.

This will help the younger referees to:
a) be exposed to the game on a larger stage.
b)referee ABL-type games to help with experience at that level.

If they are interested in helping players progress, it might also be an excellent opportunity to get the refereeing fraternity involved. They would need to contact the BASA Director of Referees to work out the fine detail.

Only a suggestion, but may be worht doing if the whole plan for the academy comes together.

Reply #2727 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Who is the BASA director of referees?

Reply #2731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Grey Area - I think that both individuals would at least occasionally read this forum, and would pay particular attention to threads about the Academy, time permitting.

Reply #2734 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Vinnie V - Nathan Durant is taking care of it at the moment. He's contactable at Pasadena.

This sounds like a go'er of an idea, hopefully you get funding for it to get off the ground.

Reply #2736 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

This is a brilliant idea, great to see Paul and Scott heavily involved.

This is what SA needs to take over Victoria's mantle as "basketball capital of Australia".....

Well done to all involved, and cant wait to see the results of the Aacademy bear fruit.

Reply #2738 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

"meeting tomorrow night" - time to spread some rumours! :P

Who's in?

Reply #2749 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

absolutely agree...this is a great thing for sa basketball....players like bungey will get extra attention and turn into solid nbl benchmen......
who is in the squad??

Reply #2756 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Libertine -- invite every ABA player to a party with free food and drinks, and then see which 16 don't show up due to a prior engagement...

Academy squad tipping competition. How many out of 16 can you pick? Haha.

Reply #2757 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I heard there is a guy who is in the squad.....

I cant name names, but I can tell you he is between 18-25, and plays for an ABL Central Conference club.

You should all be able to work it out now :)

Reply #2759 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

is that meant to be funny??...i dont get it...

Reply #2760 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

me either

Reply #2763 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Who's the one player that Yogee has almost begged for us to argue about on this forum? :)

HINT: actually, if you've read the forum then there's no need for hints :P

Isaac - great idea.

EVERY ABL PLAYER WHO READS THIS SPREAD THE WORD: Free food and drinks at Isaac Forman's house, tomorrow night, 7pm.

Reply #2766 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Damn...just for players??

I need a good feed.

Reply #2768 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Who got in?? Anyone know if it was a good night?

Reply #2971 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I know who was in, and have heard it was going to be a pretty awesome thing - but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name players. If you know who I am/who I'm affiliated with, you can pretty much guess who I caught up with - same goes for yogee's other comment... ;)

Reply #2977 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

come one libertine....
give us the low down, break the news, it will be out tomorrow anyway is what i have heard.

Reply #2979 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

Excellent News and a good bridge towards ABA/NBL.

Although I can appreciate some money or funding required for Scott's participation, and maybe 1/2 other full time Asst Coaches who are unemployed or work in this field full time, why..........

"Paul Bell : The Academy does have to be self funded and as a result we will be looking for a major sponsor and individual player sponsors as well as club and government funding options."

What specifically has to be funded?? How much is needed?? Budget idea? Surely BASA or the Clubs are not going to demand exhorbitant stadium rentals as they will gain the most from this?

Will 36er/Lightning players volunteer their time to help at the Academy, other coaches? Just raise these very few issues as Paul's comments were a bit surprising, especially as "major sponsor" required.

As for also wanting "individual player sponsors", now that really worries me as a potential sponsor as these players will have no profile now, MAY get one in the future and then there are things like Codes of Conduct, performance and Behaviour to think about. No more sessions at the clubs guys and girls til 2/5am in the morning!!

Can anyone enlighten as to the $$$$s, and other issues raised above please??

Reply #3017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know whether the squad has been picked yet for the Academy? If so, who are the players selected?

Reply #3962 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

Dead Already maybe??

Announcement Post 10/8/04, and 2 weeks later and NO further information or details made available to the basketball public of SA!

This is not a sure fire way to instill enthusiaism, commitment, hunger or desire in possible entrants and further more to possible sponsors is it?

Please provide answers to post #3017 anyone? Let's keep people more informed and up to date.

Reply #4569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks FarViewer, i share your opinion that no news in this case is bad news for the Academy. I think some of the players would be wondering what is going on if they havent been contacted thus far? Its been 2 weeks from the meeting and I heard that the players were supposed to find out within the 2 weeks afterwards. If any1 has any news, it would be much appreciated. Also answer post #3017 and get us all informed if possible!

Reply #4591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

team to be selected in the coming week.

some individual sponsors have already been sourced.

a major sponsor not far away from being named.

press conference on way.

support of clubs and BASA

Anything else?

Reply #4631 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

Yes, why the $$$$ss ...... as per all the questions raised in post #3017 above.

Reply #4778 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that the $$$ is for the coaches salaries(I understand there will be 2 full-time coaches, Scott + another) and for overhead costs (e.g., equipment, admin, etc.).

I doubt they'll have to pay for court hire, but I assume there will be costs along the way, especially considering how strapped for $$ BASA is at the moment.

Reply #4796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right....

As BASA at this stage cannot contribute funding to the project (but will assist in other ways), then sponsors are required to obviously fund the program with wages and some overheads etc and player benefits.

AS mentioned, everyone spoken to has been extremely supportive of thr concept including BASA and 36ers management and coaches, SASI, and potential players and sponsors,so cut the cynicism Farviewer.

Things hope to be up and running by commencement of NBL season.

Should be media and public announcements in coming weeks.

Reply #4797 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

If you read, slowly and with deep intent of thought what I have said, I acknowledge that point and others.

Your costs point exactly, I concur, WHAT costs, for what, for whom, WHY the costs, how much etc etc?? (e.g. equipment is a ball, have own; paid coaches seem to be the only and yes rightly so a huge cost to cover:$40/$50K pa max each????).

For an elite programme to filter players to elite levels in the sport, for which the 36rs will or should be major beneficiary, elite seems to equal "have the dosh you can make it" or pay for yourself.

All my thoughts are prefaced on what exactly will be the programme, training needs, facilities needed, design, implemenetation, structure etc and then the key concept of selection procedure of the players.

Perhaps the Press Conference together with the release of a Strategic Plan document will outline the reasons behind my questions and no doubt also inform all players what they have to do, to be considered for this Academy etc etc. Also "support of clubs" is that in principle and/or monetary?

Reply #4798 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

Anon, you obviously do not read either! I am not being cynical: you will clearly see that when I intend to be. As I have said a Great concept and totally supported. There are many people and players seeking information, now you say "coming weeks" and previously someone (Anon) else said "on the way".

Reply #4799 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

These all like valid questions to me. Its one thing to use this forum to promote the Academy and ask for the general public to support it but then you should also prepared to answer some fair, general questions:

What kind of support are clubs expected to give?
What are the costs (already answered)?
Will the players have to pay and if so roughly how much?

I think maybe far is concerned that the almighty $$ may have some influences in selections. IE how much does each club give???

are sponsors attracted because certain players happen to involved etc...

I think the selection of players was already covered off in a previous far. It will be a selection panel. However if say a sponsor of Sturt (chose sturt for no reason other than an example) saw a number of sturt players made it would they be more keen to sponsor the accademy than if those players did not make it?????

None of these questions would be an issue if BASA was funding it but this is not the case. The organisers of this seem to be setting this up as a profitable business entity. If this is the case wouldnt you think that profit is the bottomline...

If this is been setup with funding from the local basketball community then these question are cynical they are valid, or are they???

Far I dont think you can ask for details of the costs IE coaches salaries, its no ones business really.

Reply #4800 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

I don't think anyone at anytime has suggested that the players will have to pay anything, at least that's the impression I got.

I think they are asking for sponsors and clubs to contribute $$ so that the players don't have to pay for anything (e.g., Far stated "need a ball, got one", well, if a player doesn't have one, or perhaps the one they have isn't very good, I'm sure the Academy would like to provide each player with a ball, for example).

Also, as previously stated, I'm sure the majority of the costs will be on the coaches' salaries, which as someone stated, isn't really our business. I can only assume that the remaining basketball-related costs are to ensure that the players (and their families) don't have to pay a thing.

My suggestion is to be patient. Perhaps the announcement-post on this site was a little pre-mature but as far as I know, everyone loves the idea and supports it 100%. So let's cut them a little slack and be patient. Or perhaps try and help them out - do you know anyone who's business might be interested in being the naming rights sponsor? Or an individual sponsor? Instead of questioning costs and the time taken to get it off the ground, lets try and help these guys get, what could turn out to be the best thing to happen to basketball in this state for a long time, happening.

Paul, Scott - keep up the good work!!

Reply #4808 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

I agree, good work.

Lets hope the kind of sponsors they get are nationally recognised such as major shoe companies, major retail stores, accounting firms etc.

Good luck in the venture.

Reply #4819 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Where I can register my media email address for the Academy so I can help promote it through my national media network....someone email me at [email protected]

Don't leave it for BASA or the Sixers to send out the press releases.....will never get done!

Reply #4869 | Report this post

Doc James  
Years ago

Just wondering as to how ethical the selection of the squad will be in the future. Is it possible that a player will make the squad over a better players because of their family being a sponsor. If it means the difference of the program continuing becaise they lose a major sponsor and some div 2 players parents come up as a big time sponsor only as long as their kid makes the group, what would this do to the program.

Reply #7582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754