Anonymous
Years ago

SSSSA Basketball State Team - Pacific School Games

I was wondering how renowned the Pacific School Games is as an event, and whether there will be representation similar to in the Australian Junior Championships State teams.

Topic #37106 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nowhere near the same standard in any way.

Reply #528947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would it even be close to an East Coast or Albury stnadard? Or lower?

Reply #528983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say lower. But having said that, it IS a good tournament and the kids who have gone in the past have had a great time.

Reply #529016 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

It's a good standard with some very good players playing that's well above Albury and East

Reply #529032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not a part of the basketball pathway and the performances here count for nothing.

Reply #529037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just depends on who puts their hand up for selection.Would be good to see best players there.Qld strong last year.

Reply #529038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This tournament should be aimed at non-state players.

They already have a large commitment and workload.

Reply #529041 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

It's a school tournament. The Australian player development pathway is in no way related to school basketball.

At best teams have 3 to 4 good players and then school kids making up the numbers, resulting in individual play over team play. The coaching is below average as many (not all) schools have school teachers coaching the teams.

Reply #529042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Freddy, please tell us all you're joking.

Reply #529043 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

When I went our team was 2/3 string state while other states put in some of their main state players such as Vic and NSW. It's an interesting event and at the time the leaders of SA where basically dictators but luckily Geoff Whitford was there to make it some fun

Reply #529046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha Freddy thanks for the laugh. It is nowhere near ECC or Albury.
For proof, see Ricey's post...

Reply #529149 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Never been to one and know very little about them OP. Yet States and Nationals appears to be well known and I have been to many of them.

I don't think school basketball here is anything like it is say in the USA, nor will it live up to the quality or standard of the other national or state majors here, just IMO...

Reply #529162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Ricey,

People telling you that you weren't good enough has more to do with your lack of talent and ability to do as the coach instructed, than with their dictatorial attitude.

Reply #529167 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Anon, I don't know what you're on about. I'm talking about the people who who happened to be in charge of the entire states athletes that participated. Pretty sure I also pointed out I was in the team and was mostly 2/3 string state players, with some main players there. But hey, nice try.

Reply #529288 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Maybe I should've pointed out Geoff was the coach, then again that should've been fairly obvious.

Reply #529290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Banter

Reply #529313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out NSW SA & VIC teams.Could be a good comp this year.NSW look hard to beat

Reply #544520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone put a list up of the SA kids

Reply #544526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nicholas Fassos
Jordan Girardi
Ryan Girardi
Thomas Goodall
Adrian Mudronja
Jacob Rigoni
Angus Rodman
Mitchell Squire
Leon Twigg
Isaac White
Nicholas Wurm

Reply #544528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talented group I was under the impression that this was directed more to the non state players must have been wrong looks like a strong team how do the other states compare

Reply #544529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they try out. They will pick the best players available. The coach is Brendan Mann, he is a winner!

Reply #544532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria has 6 players who have represented their state at the National level. The other 4 have all had very good seasons in the BiG V Youth League competition this year.
Looks like it should be a very strong tournament.
There is also some talk that a NZ and Chinese team will be participating.

Reply #544586 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It is also an expensive exercise as the NSW players parents have been told their kids are their responsibility and they have to pay for everything to get them there and back as well as accommodation etc and getting them too and from the games.

Reply #544674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand it's still a lot less then Nationals at $2500 !!

Reply #544677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754