Train
Years ago

Rumoured - Perth Wildcats to Sign Hugh Greenwood

Boti has just tweeted "Expect @PerthWildcats to soon announce signing @HGreenwood3 which makes sense cutting @earnest33_ross, U'u too"

Very nice pickup!!!

Topic #37110 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow that is a huge signing !!!

Reply #529025 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I haven't seen a lot of Greenwood but saw a bit of him when he played for the Boomers vs China last year. He should be a great addition to the team and a good back up to Martin.

I assume his signing would be 3 points under the points cap which also leaves the Cats with 18 points to blow on their last 2 roster spots.

Reply #529027 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I think he still has NBA ambitions and is trying to get into camps/summer league so if he does sign with the Wildcats will be very conditional on allowing him to pursue NBA options?

Reply #529034 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Very good signing for the league. The Kings are rumoured to sign Dan Trist as well.

Reply #529035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing if it happens good gor wildcats and the league

Reply #529039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing...he won't make the league but wil be very solid Nbl guy who could develop into a stud At Nbl level.

Reply #529061 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm predicting the team to look like this for 2015/16

PG: Martin / Robbins??
SG: Beal / Greenwood
SF: Import?? / Hire
PF: Wagstaff / Redhage
C: Knight / Jervis

Reply #529062 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

This is a nice signing for Perth. I certainly hope it isn't the "big" one though. I hope we get another Ennis. We will see how Greenwood does, but my hope is he becomes the premier Australian NBL point guard.

Reply #529065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would he sign this early for a backup job? Or will Perth start him at the 3?

United may have tried to sell him a starting point or 2guard spot.

Reply #529066 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I can't imagine him being put in as a back up. He will slot into the starting line up somewhere. Even if that means someone like Martin ends up a back up, which wouldn't be the worst situation and I dont think it would bother Damien too much.

Reply #529071 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he's a third guard on a good team at this point of his career, but will most likely develop into a very good starter. Nice signing by Perth if true.

Reply #529072 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

He's a 3 point Australian.

Meaning the Wildcats have 18 points to splurge on an Import and another local.

Reply #529075 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Hopefully they get another Ennis type. Not only is it good for the league, but its become an expectation of the Perth fans.

Reply #529080 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

@train is Robbins making a comeback?

Reply #529088 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Gun, was hoping United picked him up!

Reply #529090 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Wildcats could be looking at NBA Draftee JK Tokoto. 6'6 athletic SG. More Ennis like than Daniels

Reply #529091 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Rashad - Just an assumption. He has been registered on the free agents list, looks in great shape and he would seem like a likely option.

Reply #529094 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

@Train hope so man. his and marto's defence in the back court would be unstoppable!

Reply #529100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wheres the scoring coming from? ISO ball again?

Reply #529101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they take Greenwood that leaves 18pts remaining so can add an 8pt player so don't see them taking Robbins who is a 4.

Reply #529105 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

You can have as many points as you want, doesn't mean you can afford him under the salary cap. Assuming Perth used the full 1 million salary cap last year, they only have U'u and Ross's salary to use.

Greenwood wouldn't of come that cheap. Very doubtful they will be able to come close to fitting an 8pt player under the salary cap, hence my suggestion for Robbins.

Reply #529108 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Train - have you considered the marquee player option in your salary cap numbers?

Reply #529110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could see minutes being split like this

Martin25, Greenwood 10, Robbins 5
Beal 30, Greenwood 10
Import 30, Hire 10
Wagstaff 20 , Redhage 15, Hire 5
Knight 25, Jervis 15

Reply #529111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be great to have another really talented Aussie in our league.
Shame if it has to be Perth, but they do often seem to be the team ahead of the wave. ( with the exception of 36ers getting Brock Motum last year!)

Reply #529117 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@PeterJohn - I wasn't factoring in the last import spot or the marquee ruling. So basically looking at 9 players - 850K salary cap with 150K + for a Marquee ontop of that.

Reply #529141 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think Paul is on the money with his assessment of Greenwood and his potential imp[act in his first year of NBL.

Trist to Sydney makes sense as he is a local boy. Would be a very good addition.

Reply #529143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting a Boomers fringe player at 3 points is handy. I assume Perth will have a few option years on the contract so they can try to keep him at that points level.

Reply #529147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/tasmanian-nba-hopeful-hugh-greenwood-is-courting-his-dream/story-fnj4f7g3-1227360518903

Reply #529169 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It would seem very strange that somebody still actively pursuing NBA drafting would already be signing with the Cats. I seem to recall that the Cats do not like granting NBA or European out clauses in their contracts.

A lack of backup PG was a highlighted deficiency, and now with basically no guards on their bench, that would logically be a focus for the Cats. Somebody who (like Greenwood) can also play the SG role would obviously be valuable, and as a returning College student Greenwood would be exceptional value. But its hard to see it happening.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Cats sign a "similar" player, but somebody without any realistic NBA or European prospects.

Reply #529225 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

All Mountain West Conference third team??? 35%fg
Scotty Wilbekin couldn't get a look in. Compare the two. If Perth have made him an offer I hope his agent tells him to take it.

Reply #529226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised to see some people suggesting they re-sign Robbins.. He's well and truly past playing at the NBL level. Granted he was a great player for a long while at what he did (defensive and hustle) but at 105kg+ and barely 6 foot he was never gonna stay agile enough for the NBL after he left.

He plays in the state league every now and again and he gets 2 pts 2 rebs 2 assists in 20 mins a game.

Reply #529231 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't blame the guy for courting his NBA dream, but realistically, it wont be happening.

Do the try outs, do all of that. But in the end, he should definitely sign with Perth.

Anything can happen, but always have that contingency plan.

Reply #529232 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Surprised to see some people suggesting they re-sign Robbins.. He's well and truly past playing at the NBL level. Granted he was a great player for a long while at what he did (defensive and hustle) but at 105kg+ and barely 6 foot he was never gonna stay agile enough for the NBL after he left.

His was one of the "surprise" names on the Free Agents list, so naturally people are asking "why?" I have no clue, but like you I highly doubt he is planning a comeback.

Reply #529242 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't blame the guy for courting his NBA dream, but realistically, it wont be happening.

Do the try outs, do all of that. But in the end, he should definitely sign with Perth.

Anything can happen, but always have that contingency plan

I have no idea what his plans are, but isn't Europe also an option?

Reply #529243 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

This Robbin's signing thing is hilarious.

Knowing the source of this info it's fun seeing people bite and speculate.

Robbin's has lost a ton of weight and is arguably in the best shape of his career, and all his niggling injuries have healed.

Reply #529338 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

RMQ - so u think he won't be making a comeback ?

Reply #529342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbins was once a useful role player off the bench, but by the end of his NBL career he had regressed to being just a hack and a total liability at the offensive end. Fast forward a few years and my only response to a potential NBL return for him is ROFL!!

Reply #529343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Brad Robbins steps on a lego.

Reply #529344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:(
what did lego ever do to you to make you so vengeful?

Reply #529354 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A bit more of Greenwood in the media, supposedly THREE NBL teams are courting him if he doesn't make the NBA. No mention of European aspirations though.

Still feel Cats are unlikely. They won't have as much cap spare as others, plus are reluctant to include NBA & European out clauses in contracts.

Reply #529453 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cats...are reluctant to include NBA & European out clauses in contracts.
[citation needed]

Reply #529456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Brad Robbins meets someone he really likes 3 times and then the 4th time they meet that person says 'nice to meet you'.

Reply #529468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he falls 7 times, gets up 8

Reply #529474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood not a chance in NBA or Europe at this stage. Must come here and prove first.

Reply #529501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

")Hugh has offers in from four teams and is looking at signing with an Australian team by mid next week," Oakes said.
"Any contract he signs will have a European/NBA out clause, which means if a better offer comes available in either of those regions he is allowed to take that."

Reply #529508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #529654 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Good to see that at least they're saying that it's not a lock at Perth, as I would have hoped a previous national juniors coach would be working pretty hard on signing him for his team...

Reply #529708 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754