Anonymous
Years ago

Kestleman's proposal back to $7 million?

According to the below article.

How reliable a journalist is Nick Smart?

Read here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-on-a-mission-to-rejuvenated-nbl-as-they-welcome-head-coach-dean-demopoulos/story-fni2u9cl-1227361906816

Topic #37119 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Smart is a football writer by and large. Pretty small time journo but has no reason to lie.

Reply #529194 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's a small line in a piece focused on other things, and could be based on older information. Has the smaller figure been cited anywhere but Boti's articles?

Regardless, I don't think the exact amount is crucial. It's more about the sorts of things the league and teams will focus on. What will change that will make every club stable and building towards profit? How will clubs either make $3-500k more, or spend $3-500k less?

A TV deal and/or marketing spend doesn't guarantee they'll get it right. I think they need to be smarter so anything that comes from TV/marketing is a bonus.

Reply #529198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like old info he'd seen elsewhere.

Either way - does it matter? Unless you're an owner involved in negotiations, the only thing for fans to care about is if someone is going to add stability and buy the thing out. The rest is mere detail.

Reply #529199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - great minds think alike.

Reply #529200 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

If $7m gets you 51% of the league and a controlling interest, then $5m means Kestleman doesn't have majority control. Wouldn't that be a big impact in how the league will be run going forward?

Reply #529207 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$7m didn't get anyone 51%, it was turned down. Presumably he's now offering $5m for 51%, to a more desperate league. And if they're not more desperate, they certainly seem to be in that sort of position - only notable recent news has been delays in free agency, and Corletto, Worthington and Madgen looking to sign overseas.

The number is lower because it appears that he's offering to do less. I don't think he's offering to give $xm to the owners, but to spend it on the league in the immediate future.

Reply #529217 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We need another thread on this?

To recap, the $7M Was actually only a $2M offer to buy a controlling interest from existing owners. Then a further $5M would be "injected" (lent or invested?) into the NBL to fund an astonishing grab-bag of promises and initiatives.

If that number was revised down to $5M, perhaps that was because the existing owners had no real interest in selling up.

Original news of the offer was long on rhetoric and short on details, and we haven't really seen anything more. So whether its 5 or 7, or otherwise, is mostly speculation at this point.

Reply #529218 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just like some posters on here, a journalist sometimes hits the send button a bit too early, me thinks...

Reply #529331 | Report this post

Broncs  
Years ago

It has been agreed to paperwork being done up. All clubs eventually agreed.

Reply #529363 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Supposedly Graeme Wade spoke positively about this on radio, they are effectively splitting off the league management from the board, so the NBL board I'm guessing will stay as is, but Kestleman will have control over the management...
Not sure WHY we still need Wade and the board? WTF else is there to do besides running the league? After all, this is the NBL, not BA.

STILL waiting to see any details of Kestleman's offer, including what Wade means by "Big Dollars"?
If anyone at the NBL thinks $5M over 3 years is "big dollars" then its no wonder they are in such a mess.)

NB: Also seems to be suspiciously quiet on promised Brisbane team?

Reply #529451 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They confirmed ages ago Brisbane weren't going to be happening any time soon.

Reply #529457 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

It's been approved. Six million

Reply #530196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754