Anonymous
Years ago

Junior National & Elite Basketball Programs

I am starting a thread for the purpose of conversation and understanding among people involved with and who have experience in junior elite basketball programs. Maybe we can all learn from our experiences?

Knowledge and experience from other sports in relation to this topic would be a welcome addition as I see it important for us in the basketball world to share and learn from other sports.

Knowing a little bit about the elite pathways here in Australia over some years has exposed me to certain people who have come and gone. It has also provided me with a view of our elite pathways and those programs aligned to the National pathway in each State, however I am not familiar with how every State runs their own elite junior basketball programs.

I am interested in how we see these programs, our experience in them, how they are percieved, what results they are producing compared with what they have been established to produce, or in fact what we see that they could or should produce.

I am very keen to learn how athletes are managed and if we are doing this for the best interest in the athlete or is there better ways to manage these young kids who still have school and their adolescent - teenage years currently in front of them.

Specifically I think the age groups most at risk or at least the age groups most relavant for discussion should be from about under 16 - under 18, however the under 14 age group would also be important as athletes can be identified very early these days.

Remember the topic is elite, not elitist or representative level, however all of your experiences could be valid discussion points on this matter.

Reading up on some related topics online I found this link interesting as it covers an important part of an elite athlete's post training recovery and risk of illness or injury due to over loading:

http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/v78/n5/full/icb200071a.html

I believe we have changed our elite basketball pathways at National and State level a few times over the years of late. Have they improved and are we focused on KPI's and statistics, results and shooting percentages or are we in it for true people/athlete development (mentally and physically)?

I am wondering if we are getting it right, or do we risk breaking kids without considering specific tailor made programs for the individual? Why are kids being discarded or leaving our elite programs and where are they ending up after years in them?

This topic does not exclude the COE (former AIS), so any I think it is valid to discuss all of our elite programs, this one included. But kids at the COE do have the benefit of having everything they need to become elite and still do their school work, strength and conditioning, basketball techniques and skills at their finger tips.

Teenage kids have to make sacrifices to be elite athletes, yes this is true, however do our elite junior basketball programs consider the amount of time high school age students need to recover, sleep, study and attend classes along with everything else life throws at them? A one hour skill session could take three hours for a kid in the suburbs, taking into account travel time, preparation etc...

Basketball is great fun and can offer many opportunities, this sport is a world recognised game and college scholarship pathways can present one avenue to a better education and life experience by using basketball as the vehicle to achieve your goals.

But lets face it, there are few roster spots at the top of the pyramid in basketball world wide and fewer still here in Australia. Playing for your country is a wonderful dream, but realistically at a guess only less than 0.01% of the population will ever be able to get to these heights.

So, what is it that out elite basketball programs should really be focused on, is it medals, is it fitting an athlete into an inflexible system created to count stats and KPI's or should we adopt a more well rounded approach taking into consideration that all athletes are in fact different and need to be catered for accordingly?

Knowledge of sleep depravation and the risk of over loading athletes has been around for some time, it may be other people's experience that we get this right, I would like to open this topic for discussion though so that we can all have our say:
http://canadiansportforlife.ca/sites/default/files/resources/Sleep_Recovery_Jan2013_EN_web.pdf

Topic #37126 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pathway at senior level in Australia is almost dead. For Aussie kids it is colleges. Problem is for Aussies to get on that pathway they have to be amazing compared to the rest of you Aussies.

Elite programs DO NOT overload kids it is the lack of integration of those programs with clubs. lack of joint planning on these kids.

Every kid that is half decent wants to get to college. It's their dream and I think the only way to manage that would be to manage their expectations. Is this actually "crushing" THEIR dream?

Not overloading kids is very, very important. How do you do this? You're right with such a pointy top end they need to be amazing, a lot of it comes from your genes. They also need to put in the time. They are smart enough to know that to get better takes a lot of time and effort.

If programs don't cater for them they will find somewhere else that does then they end up in different programs, with different people all over the place.

The solution is educated, empowered parents. Empowered to say no to coaches, empowered to say no to their kids. Educated to understand where there kid is truly at, what options to select for them, and guide them without hurting their dreams. Therein lies the problem. Not many that have this. However, I can't see how you can manage their expectations without damaging THEIR dreams.

Reply #529393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*yawn* Another thread to moan about the elite pathways under the guise of "sharing"...

Reply #529405 | Report this post

doit  
Years ago

how many kids get a scholarship to college in the USA and pull out after 1 yr.

I know more that have quit than have finished.

Why is that????

Reply #529443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most I know are simply homesick and don't cope with the dietry and cultural changes. and thats just going to the US... some quit ball altogether and reconnect with friends who they missed out their teen years hanging out with. Facebooking from US doesn't help, only makes some more vunerable to returning Thats my take ..

Reply #529449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon Troll #405 maybe read the posts first, then try and comprehend them, then go back to school and learn some manners and grammar before you hit the send button, fool!

Reply #529454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doit do you have facts and figures. I strongly disagree, pretty much all I can think of finish.

Reply #529455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most who don't stick it out are the ones who have gone thinking they are going to be the shinning stars they think they are in the small pool of australian basketball. They get there and find their bums sitting squarely on the bench that first year, AND they have to keep grades up.
You hear it over and over ' I'm going where I can get big minutes I'm not going to travel halfway round the world to sit on the bench' so they choose either a lower div college in a crap conference and find its not what they want, OR they choose a div 1 after thinking they WILL get good minutes only to find as a freshman they have to wait.

Better information and more realistic reasons to go to college as in education and development would be more beneficial than the so called 'glory' of I am going to college in USA.
But that being said, for those who actually stick it out and work hard the rewards usually come, it's not easy to be so far away from family and friends, but if their dream is to play at a good level , develop and experience life plus not have a massive hex fee at the end of uni, then it's a better option than staying in Australia for many.
Unfortunately very few ever really get into a top 20 college even fewer into a top 10, they are usually reserved for the elite USA kids, or the very very lucky Aussies/internationals who catch the eye of experienced coaches .

Reply #529466 | Report this post

Done it.  
Years ago

Here is the pathway folks (not necessarily in order).

Be big enough.
Organise your time. Get and stay fit and strong.
Learn fundamentals. Practice them over and over again.
Spend time improving your skills every single day between the ages of 12 and 17.
Repeat.
Find better kids to play against - if u are the best kid on the court you are on the wrong court.
Expect it to be hard and to get cut.
Don't expect/choose/manipulate every situation or team to be perfect for you. Work through adversity, get better.
Keep going.

*Apply the above to your school work as well.

This give you the best chance of getting there. And if you are truly elite, the rest will take care of itself.

Reply #529467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ just about sums it up lol

Reply #529470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Anon 466

Free education and development.

Stay here and you pay for Uni and then pay for the privilege to be coached by someone decent.

I do not knock those that choose the USA system but to may it is nothing more then an experience with education thrown in. They often return to their grass roots clubs and pick up where they left.

Reply #529475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to here what Bear thinks.

Reply #529481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon475, yes your right many do, but without hex fees and with more opportunities open to them should they do well over there.
Staying here limits most players as it's such a smaller pool, but college is not for everyone and both ways have their merits and pitfalls.
But when looking at pathways available in Australia, it's a very very very small percentage that will ever get the opportunities to play at an elite level, college fills more voids that's all.

Reply #529487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is that #481?

Reply #529523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because over the years Bear makes valid points based on his own experiences. He gives what seems to be a balanced blog.

Reply #529526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The OP asks some valid questions about a very complex topic. So many variables here and so many people will have their own opinion, but those who have real life experience about this topic should be best placed to give us some insight.

Reply #529768 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

To start with I will say this, our junior elite pathway offers great opportunity for those who can and are willing to do what it takes.

At one end we have:

IDENTIFICATION - JUSTIFICATION - RESPONSIBILITY - ACCOUNTABILITY - DIRECTION - TEACHING

At the other end you need to have:

CONSISTENCY - DESIRE - DEDICATION - APPLICATION - FOCUS - SACRIFICE - POTENTIAL

What can be improved in relation to all of this, let me have a think about it...

Reply #530026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it can offer great opportunities, however should you miss out on the early identification phase due to playing in a minor association then each year it will get progressively harder to get through that elusive elite pathway door, unless of course your 6'plus, many a good player both male and female have consistently been overlooked throughout the years because of this. You then find those kids begin to look to other sports or stop altogether.
Yes the amount you can take certainly is a factor, but it is and always has been a case of once your in , your in, and so if they are not reviewed seriously each year then that list rarely changes
Personally I think they need to put more into reviewing what they have each year rather than already having preselected names already on the list before they start.

Reply #530028 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That has changed anon^, they do reviews now and kids will either be asked to stay or not endorsed next time around. Those not endorsed have the option to work hard on their own and get noticed again if they are fortunate enough and perhaps be asked back in.

Whether the justification for every decision is for the benefit of the individual or the pathway can be debated, but as I see it the performance indicators can be used to review these athletes and a decision made accordingly.

It has changed over the years, but the elite athletes are told up front, if they don't perform they may not return, end of story.

Don't forget the purpose is to find a small group that will eventually play for Australia!

Have this in mind every time you think about all that goes on and it will help you comprehend some of the things that happen and some of the experiences people share...

Reply #530067 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

I don't think the size of the association has a bearing on a players ability to progress thru the ID process. The players skill set has the biggest influence. U12's in VC are invited to ID camps. If they impress they are invited to another camp later in the year. If your child plays in VJBL 1 or lower the association DOC can instigate an invite for skilled players. In U14 VC players are invited to ID camp. If they impress they are invited to another camp some time later in the year. And then are invited to another more one on one camp if they impress again. Players in VJBL 1 or lower can be invited if there DOC believe they are good enough. U16 players can be invited to attend tryouts if there coaches/DOC nominate them to attend camps as requested by BV.Skilled players progress by their own individual means. Ongoing assessment of players thru their junior years continues. Playing for any particular association shouldn't influence a players nomination. So encourage all players even if they miss out on one selection process as all players grow develop at different times.Cheers.

Reply #530191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@MRT you are partially correct. In regards to the size of an Association and the fact that talent will be identified through nomination this does occur regardless, I agree. The only thing I have seen to hinder this process has been bias towards kids from a particular Association by network coaches in the past and the limit placed on numbers at under 14 Academy level programs.

Some talented kids have missed out, but if they are good enough they will probably be picked up the following year, so it is more of a hiccup than a road block.

Reply #530202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O.K. I have to comment.I am form a BVC association

My son was identified by Andrea Walsh many years back. loved by Brendon Joyce and used to demonstrate at camps. Justin did not rate him. So we accepted he was not " at the standard" and moved on. Now I wander if he did not smile or walk the right way for Justin or if Andrea and Brendon have no idea !

Reply #530206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has his favourites just like anyone else anon.

Reply #530231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the posts have gone off topic.

However - One of my kids has played in 5 State teams and represented Australia at Junior Level on several occasions. So I think that qualifies me to have an opinion.

Having been through the NITP, NPP, State & Australian training regimes I'd have to say the coaches, generally over train the kids to the point of stress injuries. My kids have played basketball, soccer, football, cricket, tennis, swimming and I'd have to say without doubt Basketball at the elite level is the most frenetic and demanding of all the above sports. There has been times, we've thought it to be manic.

I know I'm generalizing, but this has been my own experience - The main problem is, and it was mentioned above, is that every coach 'wants there piece of ass'. So the Rep coach expects and demands nothing less than 100% effort at training, if not the parent/s of other players will complain. The NITP/NCC coaches expect nothing less than 100% and now they are Sunday, they usually follow a Rep training session. Then the State coaches, certainly through the selection phase, expect nothing short of 110%.

My experience is their is no middle ground or acknowledgement or shared information as to training workloads of the athlete.

^206 - I presume you are talking about Justin Scheuller? Justin, like all coaches has an opinion. I don't know if favorites is the right word, but he, like you would have an opinion as to the basketball talent/ability of your son. It doesn't mean to say his opinion is right. But similarly it doesn't mean you are right either.

The only advise I can offer is to persist and prove Justin wrong.

At the end of the day I don't think the basketball systems do enough to develop players.

Put simply, in my opinion, it doesn't matter if your kid is a point guard or a centre - You have to be able to shoot/score and that means from everywhere, including 3 point land and you have to have ball handling skills. These are mandatory to progressing at the elite level. There are other intangibles, competetiveness, contest, game sense/decision making (IQ), SIZE, Athletic ability, etc. But if you can't shoot and you can't dribble, then you won't go far.

Reply #531257 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anonymous^ you obviously have some experience in other sports at the elite level, this is important in the context of the OP I think as you have made a point about something that has been mentioned already, overloading athletes.

I have to agree with you on your main point of view and having spoken to some people very high up in the basketball sporting landscape it is interesting that I get mixed messages from them in relation to the recovery and overloading question.

This may be something that needs further attention, focus and understanding, however I am not sure it will get the necessary attention to make a huge difference due to the nature of selection and how basketaball differs in its structure to some of the other sports you have mentioned, perhaps.

I would be interested in your opinion in how much better, if better at all, other sports get this structure in place and how it may benefit elite athletes in their particular sport?

In basketball, I also see a real problem in some areas in the concepts of governance, control and structure.

Specifically I guess what I would like to see improved is that there is a clearer understanding between all of the coaches involved in an elite basketballer's pathway so their agendas are all on the same page and the health, wellbeing and future of the athlete is considered first and foremost, not treated like a piece of meat or just a number (for want of a better example)!

It is good practise to learn from other organisations I feel...

Reply #531309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many elite level basketball coaches know how to properly develop our extremely long limned athletes, those who are extremely tall at a very young age or very flexible and therefore prone to muscle strain injury due to hypermobility?

Plenty of research is available and it is very important in our sport especially, if we are going to understand why athletes get injured or have pain as they are growing then we can create programs that can get the best out of them in the long run.

Junior elite basketball is too much about statistics and shooting percentages, however lacks in knowledge of sports science and sports injuries!

Reply #531909 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754