Samuel
Years ago

Todd Blanchfield $$$$$

Word on the street is that Melbourne United paid Blanchfield over 200K and season. WHAT????

No way is he worth that.

No wonder Worthington told them where to go.

Topic #37132 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Either way, he's definitely worth more than Wortho.

Reply #529483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Onya Samuel. There's no way that the existing Blanchfield thread would have been suitable for your post.

Reply #529485 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He would be the aussie with the most potential in the league and most likely to pick up a good Euro gig. Yes, he is probably worth it.

Reply #529490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Samuel are you Toms brother?

Reply #529491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What street was this heard on??? Or was it on the corner of Nonsense and Crackpot Streets.....out front of BS Fertilsers shop

Reply #529498 | Report this post

tim behrendorff  
Years ago

200k per year or over 2 seasons?

Reply #529507 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Worth way more than Wortho

Reply #529512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems about right. There were plenty on the Melbourne roster getting more last year.

If you are serious about inproving as a player by being developed and challenged by a quality coaching panel, Melbourne would be the choice.

If you are on your way out, and just trying to milk some cash without really working, you would leave to find somewhere more comfortable.

Reply #529513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worthington is a role player, Blanchfield is a great up and coming talent. You pay for talent. Deal with it.

Reply #529518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho may not be the superstar he thinks he should be paid like but he's still far better than a role player.

Even United think so, he won their team MVP award this past season. They just asked him to take a huge pay cut (down from superstar money) and he balked.

Reply #529520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worthington won the team MVP purely out of spite towards McCrae, he isn't successful at this stage of his career, and seems to be making more enemies than allies these days. Guy is pretty selfish.

Reply #529521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he didn't otherwise they would've given the award to Kickert, their second leading scorer (behind McRae), lead the team in fg% and lead the team and league in 3pt%

So he obviously didn't get it just to avoid giving it to McRae.

Reply #529528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree to disagree.... was all a 'suck up' ploy to entice him to take less this upcoming season. Think about it.

Reply #529530 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's 100% true. United are well and truly cheating the cap. Big time.

Reply #529531 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Blanchfield is a good up & coming talent but he isn't worth $200K...!

Reply #529533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#529521: they've busted the cap "big time" with a four player roster???

Reply #529536 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

they could break the cap and still miss the playoffs with their off court issues.

signing a good young player doesn't build trust between the players and the owners or make all the players magically get along.

They need to sign an experienced Coach that they are prepared to stand behind win or lose and that the players are going to respect despite their ego's telling them they deserve x amount of minutes/shots.

Reply #529540 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd pay to see Todd, I hope he continues to develop

Reply #529541 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wortho's only ever been a role player, albeit a very very good one at times.

It's unlikely a team like Melbourne would have been able to lure Blanchfield away from Townsville without offering the good bickies. For his sake I hope Melbourne isn't the home of basket case basketball like it has been five of the past six seasons.

Reply #529545 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just watched Todd play for the Southland Sharkd here in NZ.

Boy he has a beautiful jump shot. So sweet. Nice balance and text book release. I watched him catch fire and hit 10 or so 3s.

Up until now, i thought he was a good shooter..but seeing him last night. He is a dead-eye

Reply #529589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they haven't paid him 200k, cos he's not worth that much.

Then again, he's still only 23. Look at the way Goulding improved in his two seasons in Melbourne- if Blanchfield can do similar, then 200k will be a bargain.

But that's a big if.

Reply #529596 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That was me

Reply #529597 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Blanchfield is the best up and coming Aussie talent in the NBL. He is worth every cent of that 200G's and then some. Tell me what other 23 year old kid in the NBL has half of his ceiling? Todd is exactly the type of player we need to keep from running off to Europe right now.

Reply #529633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long after the free agent moratorium ended did United sign Blanchfield?

Reply #530852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you just say "after" the moratorium?
Hahahaha good one.
I'm sure the official contract has a valid date on it and that's all that matters in the end.

Reply #530855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats kind of my point. No doubt the contract is valid; I'm just surprised that there hasn't been much scrutiny of the new owner of the league playing this game so soon. Maybe some journos are too busy fellating him to realise what is going on.

Reply #530865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:12 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754