Anonymous
Years ago

Oakleigh U18's - Any comparisons

I have followed the U18 top 4 thread with interest this season and before I start this topic I would appreciate genuine comments and feedback as it is a topic of interest to me and I am sure others. I am from the McKinnon Association so follow our local Associations closely.

For the morons who will no doubt post about me being from from Oakleigh (which I am not) etc etc just give it break and allow a genuine discussion for those interested.

After posting in the "U18 top 4" thread and copping some flak, I wanted to wait and see if the Oakleigh U18's made top 10 before posting this and now that this is the case, i thought I would share some interesting insights which I have discovered from some simple web research and a discussions with one of their team's dads who owns a petrol station i fill up at each week and we compare notes every Monday on our teams respective progress.

I am looking for a genuine discussion on this thread.

The points I have discovered is the following.

Oakleigh only have two domestic teams to draw from.

The best this team has done from the past 5 years is a VJL2 title.

Oakleigh as a rep club has been in existence since 2010.

In grading this year they started in pool 2 with a ranking of 32

Their team is nearly entirely made up of kids not considered good enough for squads at McKinnon and Sandringham. In fact some were cut from those programs or selected in four or five squads before moving onto Oakleigh.

Now they have qualified for the best 10 in the State.

While I like Bear, in the U18 Top four thread, worry about their ability to compete in that select company. I simply find it extraordinary that a club so small can achieve this, while my club who is much larger and much better resourced cannot.

To make this more impressive their U16 team also made VC and came within a whisker of qualifying for top 10.

As I have a limited knowledge of these things I thought I would put this out there and see if anybody who would know more is aware of another club in the past who has achieved something similar.

I find this a fascinating effort from these boys and kudos to them and their coaches by the way. I would just like some perspective on it from similar efforts in the past from other clubs in a similar situation as Oakleigh and how they managed it.

Topic #37145 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although I am not in Oakleigh or Mckinnon. I have found that Mckinnon is only interested in you if you are a very good player if not then see you later. I suppose Oakleigh would be more inclusive but have not had much contact with them.

Reply #529838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to get this right anon, you like Bear, is that correct?

Reply #529840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I congratulate Oakleigh and wish this team well for the next 9 rounds. If nothing else they get to experience playing the "best" Victoria has to offer.

Seeing them for myself they were a delight to watch. Their supporters were friendly and the boys genuinely played as a team and offered each other support. They seemed to have a common goal. How refreshing in U18s.

Reply #529847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love Bear, his posts are always on the mark and he provides genuine discussion points and feedback.

Reply #529857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great post and well done.

I'll get rid of all the doomsdayers out there for you; "You're daughter must have been cut", "just another whinging parent", "you must be from Oakleigh", I think I got them all, now we can get on with some intelligent conversation.

Yes great effort by a small association, both my kids are out of juniors (not from Oakleigh or McKinnon) but I have a good friend involved so get along to a small number of games and follow the age group although have not seen Oakleigh play. It seems they were actually a bit stiff with draws and could easily have made Classic if some things had fallen their way.

It's very tough for small associations to get on consistently in higher divisions, no sooner do they get a good coach or player, they seem to get poached so to get a group, even if they are, as stated, McKinnon or Sandy rejects and get them into the super 10 is quite special.

Building an association should be done from the bottom up, not the top down. From what I see of McKinnon with two Big V SC teams and not much under it, it seems that they are trying to do it from the top down. I'm not having a crack at them, just stating what I see and it doesn't work. Corio Bay SCM are another example trying to build down as I see it.

With Oakleigh, they have a Big V Div 2 men's team and something for the boys to work for, some will move on to better things no doubt but they are starting at the right point, so I don't know who is running the show at Oakleigh, and I could be off the mark, but well done to them.

Warrandyte did it some years ago, and whilst they aren't yet a 'powerhouse' club, they are certainly well represented in all grades now.

Well done Oakleigh and again, great post.

Reply #529878 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

My kids are not from Oakleigh or McKinnon and I have not been involved with either. Just wanted to get that out there.

I am ambivalent about Bear however.

Trust this is ok.

Reply #529882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO I am with you, although we know that Bear is not from Oakleigh or McKinnon but rather a BVC affiliated Club so maybe he will be objective this time.

Reply #529885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the language and grammar in the above posts are very similar. Seems like an intelligent poster so probably from different IPs

Reply #529894 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Ahemm, just say you are unsure HO, we can all be happy with that one time (from you) bro...

Yes, we are all found to be bias at times, thanks for some vote of confidence anon #885, I will try to be more objective just for you mate.

Saw these 18's Warriors only the once and they had one or two out, but as I have posted before I thought they were well coached and really brought some great intensity to their game, just couldn't keep it up for long enough to take the game on the night against an equally depleated Supercats team.

I will be keen to follow VC as it goes along this season (18 Men), for sure, however whether or not I will see Oakleigh play will depend on where I am that particular Friday night.

What I am really looking forward to is seeing the upsets continue, as there seems to be no power club/team this year like there has in the past couple. Close games ar good games as they say, so if Oakleigh can stay close to these other teams and grind games out, who knows they could make top 8 and finals...

Good luck to all of the teams!

Anon #878, just to set you straight on one small fact on your Corio Bay comment, yes it would appear the have gone top first if you are unaware of where the Association has come from, but they have had juniors in the VJBL for about a decade or so now and have played CBL for at least three years before Big V.

Not the overnight success you seem to portray them as, but I will agree they do need to continue to improve their junior program and build that base by directing additional funding where it needs to go, cheers...

Reply #529917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice posts but I was looking more for a comparison to Oakleigh's effort.

Somebody told me about Darebin for example same time back who had a VC team or two some years back. I don't even know if they exist any more.

Hope that doesn't happen for the Oakleigh boys and club.

Nice to see some fresh blood taking on the usual powerhouses.

Reply #529924 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Difficult comparison to make without knowing the club's history and doing some research into a few others, but good luck, I would be interested to hear some results if you get them...

Drawing comparisons with country Associations could be made on the basis of numbers, Oakleigh I am presuming is a small one, but being inner Melbourne they can draw from a much bigger population base, just a thought...

Reply #529927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bellarine girls who are now U18. At U14 they won through to Nationals and have been in VC a couple of times since. They are the Jewell in the crown down at Bellarine.

Reply #529928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops Bellarine girls still in U16s and doing very well in VC.

Reply #529930 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Good on them, awesome for the girls and for such a small Association! :)

Bellarine is a great example of how a small Association can be built over time, but purely on population alone the numbers are low compared to the potential an Oakleigh would have to draw on IMHO...

Reply #529935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No comparisons can be made to such an awesome club...go oaks

Reply #529958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Took you 15 posts before you had to say something sarcastic Anon, your slipping!

Reply #529960 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

I'm sure Darebin has had a VC team at some stage but I can't remember it in the 10+ years I've been involved in junior basketball. They shut down their Big V teams a couple of years ago and now have only 3 VJBL teams, all boys, 14s, 16s and 18s, all in Regional.

So certainly not going gang busters at Darebin the moment. I know an ex coach there and he told me the problem was that they don't have a domestic program to draw from so only ended up getting the dregs of other associations.

I don't know if Oakleigh have a domestic comp under their rep teams, but would hope they do.

Reply #529975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darebin I am sure had a VC team when they had malo Hicks in their ranks.

Oakleigh only have a smal domestic competition. But any feeder competition is better than none and one you can grow.

Was Peter Fiddes involved at Darebin? I think he was and plough some $$$ into the club to attract some taleneted youth.

Can't be 100% sure

Reply #530001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares

Reply #530003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maalo Hicks & Brett Meredith (state u16 & now AFL footballer) played at Darebin & in u18s (circa 2006?) they were near the top of VC but came up short in VC finals & also had a rough Classic.

Reply #530019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKinnon in 2005 had 3 boys teams qualify for VC when they were only a small size similar to Oakleigh now.

Funny thing is the guy that was in charge of McKinnon then is in charge of Oakleigh now. Must know how to get the best out of his players!

Imagine what he could do at a Dandenong type club!

Reply #530022 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ makes a very good point, success comes with the right people in your program, not just the players or how big or small the program is, but who is directing it makes all the difference...

Reply #530025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That same mentality would never work at the larger size clubs though. To many people would want there say and want to be involved. The larger clubs get there by sheer force of numbers and reputation.

Smaller club are able to make changes and act on them almost instantly if people will embrace it.

It used to be if you went to the power clubs like a Dandenong etc you knew you were going to get the A grade calibre coaches. The complaints that I have heard of late is that it is now the same as smaller associations with mum and dad coaches. The occasional youth league player thrown in there who is wanting to help out.

Reply #530034 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

For those who follow these things Oakleigh and Warrandyte have been very similar in standard over the years ( this group of boys plays together every second year when they are all top age ) and when we won VJBL 2 Warrandyte won VJBL1 after beating us by 1 point in a crossover ... How many good teams miss out by virtue of a dud crossover draw ?

Reply #530037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doncaster had a VC team in under 12 boys that went through and made it in 14s and 16s in 2008,2010,2012. These days only a couple of teams left in regional

Reply #530098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Doncaster team made U14 nationals too yeah?

Reply #530103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best threads are always the ones where people ask a question and then proceed to answer it themselves.

Reply #530108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that Doncaster team did make the under 14 nationals.

Reply #530111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darebin had an U/18 boys team play Classics a few years ago at Dandenong (maybe 5 or 6).

Reply #530178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2006 Darebin 18s played at Classics.

Reply #530194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it ironic that the OP is comparing Oaklegh & McKinnon.

If any had bothered to do their research they'd find the reason behind Oakleigh's success is largely the Head Coach, Bob Mann. To a lesser extent the committee & volunteers can take credit as well. Also, the Oakleigh Association has been around for 20+years. But was largley dormant as far as Big V or VJBL was concerned until Bob got involved. Good to see as he is providing opportunites for kids to develop their game.

Bear, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Bob in you responses? Surely you know or have heard of him?

For those that don't know, Bob founded the McKinnon Basketball Association, was their head coach and had been their President & GM for long periods before the McKinnon Committee forced him to leave their association along with the domestic Junior Club who he was head Coach for at the time. The MBA prevented some 150 odd kids from partiicapting in their summer domestic comp after they had played 2 or 3 domestic grading games. This was one of the lowest, dog acts I have seen in Kids Sport. It was a shameful exercise.

But, Bob is s survivor and he knows how to get the best out of players. He moved to Oakleigh and almost single handedly started their VJBL Rep Program.

I know Bob personally & I also know he can be a polarising character, but he does know how to coach basketball skills and instill work ethic and effort into his players.

Agree with others about bigger clubs, too many parents get involved to provide opportunities for their kids and they know who they are. This was Bob's downfall at McKinnon. Broadly, this brought about Bob's downfall - people within McKinnon and the committe of the day pushing their own agenda and Bob was forced to leave via an ultimatum. Others on the committee at the time that didn't have kids involved were unfortunate pawns in the whole saga. It would interesting to see if they now had different opinion?

None of my kids play VJBL any more, but my kids suffered from parental involvement (Coach, Committe, Team Manager)at their clubs to gain opportunities, unfairly, for their kids. Didn't matter we moved on and my kids have enjoyed success and continue to do so elsewhere.

Reply #530394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Know the Bob Mann story and wish him and his boys all the best but I was more interested in any other clubs achievements. Sorry.

The Darebin and Doncaster stories are interesting any stories behind those teams?

Like I said previously I think Peter Fiddes who owns AND1 put some money into the club, not sure who coached them though.

Would be interested to find out more about them bth

Reply #530402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that Darebin don't have a domestic comp and in VJBL always seemed to end up with the discards from other clubs when you got cut. As a result, they have teams in one year in an age group and none the next, three teams this year, all boys, all regional.

In Big V they were always Div 3 for men and women (when there was a Div 3), the men won the title in 2006 or 2007 and went up to Div 2 but went straight down again. Again, if you couldn't get a gig elsewhere you went to Darebin. They pulled out of Big V altogether at the end of 2010 if the Big V previous seasons section of their website is correct.

Reply #530411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why doesn't Doncaster do more? Very rarely in VC, don't have a BIG V team but have been around for years.

Have had strong MMBL teams for years and have a decent enough venue.

Wht aren't they achieving more?

Reply #530418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Bob as well as i played under him for five years at McKinnon. He is unique in basketball circles. He selects his teams based on merit not by who sits on what committee or sponsors the most money. He also makes the effort to recruit coaches who are not parents and are independent of influence.

In some circles this makes him unpopular as parents who want to push their kids agenda just meet a brick wall.Those parents at times then look to work against him in the background. He just ignores them and gets on with it.

With Bob and Oakleigh it's quite simple, do the work, improve your game and your knowledge of it and you will get rewarded.

The other thing he does is he gets to all his club's domestic games and training and he also attends and at time takes all his junior rep teams training from U12' to BIG V. That's 20 teams currently.

He is always looking for kids with talent and looking to develop and nurture that talent. He is a hard arse, but if you were a kid with ambitions who was frustrated at your current club playing in a thirds or fourth squad for example you could do worse than getting down to Oakleigh. If you have some talent he will spot it and work on it and bring you through.

Just be ready for him to ride your arse to get the best out of that talent. One night we did 450 push ups in 90 minutes because we couldn't do a transition drills properly. If you can't handle discipline Bob is not your man, plenty have quit because they couldn't handle him, but he wasn't interested in that type, he wanted competitors who wouldn't give up. That was his first criteria. He would push out weaker kids through his discipline. Again not popular in this politically correct world.

He worked us hard and got a team that shouldn't have made VJL2 into VC and the next year we made semi-finals in VC.

An amazing coach who was hard but fair and would do anything for his boys. Hope he keeps doing his thing at Oakleigh for years to come.

Reply #530420 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks for the history lesson anon#394 it is appreciated and I enjoyed reading it, unfortunately I don't know him.

He sounds like a decent hard working bloke, I do know quite a few of those involved in basketball however...

I hope he continues to help out the kids and is supported better in the future.

Reply #530421 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon #420, yet another fine endorsement, nice post right there, but still doesn't answer the OP's comparison question...

Reply #530423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #755241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754