RMQ
Years ago

Music for Basketball Games

Ok before I start - Yes, some people think there is no place for music during games. I accept that opinion and to some extent agree, but this discussion isn't about that.

I'm the DJ/Sound Technician for the WA SBL All Star game this weekend in Perth.

I already have a library of songs, but thought I"d ask some bball enthusiast for what they think is appropriate and would like to hear while watching an all star game.

In case your wondering - I already do DJ work for some SBL clubs. We don't play music on every possession and do not let songs run for no reason. We mix it up with Drum beats/claps for crowd participation and have the odd effect here and there (eg. mario 1-up/coin FX for a made freethrow). Our aim is to use music to complement the play and atmosphere on court- not just play a song we like or that is popular for the sake of it.

So what would you expect to hear at an all star game?

To make things easier I've broken things into four categories.

- Warm Ups
eg. Sugar Gang - Apache

- Intros/Whole team/Starting 5
eg. Sirus

- In Game
eg. Rock and Roll Part 2 saved for the 3rd/4th quarter when things are getting a bit more serious if the games close

- Times outs
e.g Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk (basically any popular radio song current or old)

Topic #37162 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already a couple of threads on this topic mate, hundreds of posts for you to read. If you don't get something from those come back to us!

Reply #530368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If someone involved in the game comes to us for help, "search the archives" probably isn't the best answer;

Don't play Gary Glitter.

Play

Roundball Rock - NBA on NBC Theme

Thunderstuck - ACDC

Blur: Song 2

House of Pain: Jump Around

O.T. Genasis - CoCo or Drake - Trophies or Chief Keef - Love Sosa

And of course Ke$ha - Die Young

Reply #530381 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I don't find this msg boards search function all that flash and I'm pretty sure I've contributed to those threads.

And the thing with music is while there are classics, maybe there's something new or popular right now that might be useful.

I'm not asking for an entire playlist as I said I have an extensive archive of stuff, I just thought some ppl may have one or two favs they'd like to share.

People always complain about how things could be better so why wouldn't I ask and raise the topic to try and improve the experience.

Reply #530392 | Report this post

dr seuss  
Years ago

linkin park , jay z - numb encore

Reply #530395 | Report this post

dr seuss  
Years ago

and some frankie knuckles

Reply #530396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Zebra Music - Hustle Like Delly' is gaining huge popularity

Reply #530410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with #381. Under no circumstances to you play Gary Glitter, the songs may be good for the purpose but it's not a good look given his personal history.

Reply #530412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like music.

I like basketball games.

Reply #530415 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Gary Glitter is a hard one - I know some organisations do not play it (wildcats), but then it is still wildly used all over sports across the world.

Personally I think it's OK to play it - but I'd always seek the advice of the organisation first before using it.

After all, I still find the show Hey Dad funny but I don't condone what the actor did.

Similarly I don't condone hitting women but I like listening to Chris Brown's music.

Reply #530425 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I hope you're not being entirely serious there RMQ

Reply #530429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't Americanise it would be my advice. Plenty of Hip-Hop, Beats and Rock music from Australia to pump up the crowds.
Hilltop Hoods - Nose bleed section
ACDC - Back in Black
Spiderbait - Buy me a Pony
Birds of Tokyo - Broken Bones
stuff like that

If you must use international acts, have some freakin taste! No more Blur - Song 2, EMF - Unbelievable, or any of the usual rotations our major sports events still pander around. A few options below:
Public Enemy - Welcome to the Terrordome
RATM - Know your Enemy
Tiesto - Adagio for Strings
Beastie Boys - Flute Loop
Daft Punk - Da Funk
Foo Fighters - My Hero
Weezer - Say it Aint So

Reply #530447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch..

Reply #530449 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Everyone is seriously just going to let that earlier post slide?

Reply #530450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He brought up Hey Dad as well so I'm assuming (hoping) it was intended as a humorous post as nobody finds Hey Dad funny. It was a horrible show when it was on and its dated as badly as any show that has ever aired.

Reply #530456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would recommend being careful about the lyrics for such a family event. I am not the one to decide what is suitable or otherwise, but playing something like Blurred Lines, or songs entirely filled with innuendo, could be avoided. And probably should. Just my two cents.

Reply #530457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did this topic become about Hey Dad and Gary Glitter?

You're all drunk, go home

Reply #530458 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Timbaland: Throw it on me.

Love me some Voodoo dance!

Reply #530459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guessing Rolf Harris is off the cards too?

But seriously, avoid any of the R&B/Rap stuff full of expletives. Have been to many a State league game only to hear some songs loaded with stuff best kept out of the ears of most people.

Reply #530464 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Thanks for all the feed back.

Dunkin Dan - Rock and Roll Part 2 is still used at many sporting events. It was just recently used at game 5 of the Cavs/Hawks series. They used it at the Ice Hockey here at Perth Arena.

I'm all for using it - but if the organisation tells me not to then I want. Regardless of what the singer is guilty of, the song is great.

The question is - if a coverband recorded their own version of it would it be ok to play that?

Swear words and explicit content is an obvious no go zone. However if I can get censored versions of songs I do use those - within reason.

Avoid songs with extreme explicit messages - for example An organisation sponsored by a Healthway type organisation may not allow the use of songs that promote drinking alcohol or have any references to drinking alcohol or sex. (which I think is over kill). There's a fine line - I won't be playing any Khia - my neck or Lil Kim - How many licks. However a censored version of Lil Jon - Shots could be acceptable.

Reply #530482 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

RMQ, just to clarify, the part of your post I found troubling was when you said you thought Hey Dad was funny.

Reply #530488 | Report this post

Backspin  
Years ago

Generally if you are going to have music;

- Warm Ups
Keep them simple, use the time to build the atmosphere and has a good beat stuff like:

Pitbull - Fireball
ACDC - Thunderstruck
One Repubic - Love Runs out (Rock is a good start pregame)
Flo Rida - I don't like it, I love it
Darude - Sandstorm
Watermat - Frequency
Avicii - The Nights
Rudimental - Feel the Love
Oliver Held - Last all Night (Instrumental)
Faul ft Wad Ad vs Pnau - Changes (Tocadisco's Sunny LA Mix)
Black Joe Lewis - Come to My Party (Great Intro Song)

Plenty others out there

- Intros/Whole team/Starting 5
Puff Daddy - Come With Me (Instrumental)
Eminem - Fast Lane (Instrumental)
Macklemore - Can't Hold Us Down

Stuff like that

- In Game
Some time a bit of dance music works well, whatever you play (if you play music) has to have a fairly quick beat for the crowd

- Times outs
e.g Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk (basically any popular radio song current or old)
Or again rock or dance tune, that you can grab the chorus in the minute

Reply #530490 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Dunkin Dan - hahahah oh snap! :( the sad thing is... I used to really like Hey Dad as a kid haha. It's australia's only ever sitcom!

Reply #530498 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Backspin - thanks, you are on the right track ;)

Reply #530499 | Report this post

Backspin  
Years ago

Thanks

Good Point about how much is too much music though, find it definitely has a place in the games, as long as it compliments the overall night as a whole.

Reply #530503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

x2 for Zebra Music - Hustle Like Delly

Reply #530505 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

x3 for hustle like Delly. The serious fans will eat that up :)

Hey Dad was a family fixture for years when I was a kid too, btw. I probably even laughed sometimes ... I can't be sure ... like Sarah Monahan, I now try to block out that portion of my life.

Reply #530510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turn down for what - Lil John and DJ Snake
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
300 Violin Orchestra - John Qunitero
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Here Comes the Boom - Nelly
Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
Party Up -DMX (get the clean version)

Just a few that I use

Reply #530540 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

I like having "popular radio songs" on during the warm-ups. Sing-along type stuff. Gets people in a good mood for the game, then play the more amped up stuff as the starting 5s progress etc.

What are the thoughts on things such as "Everybody clap your hands" tune (followed by clap beat) the NBA uses?

Reply #530643 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

sixty years of music on Rockwiz is pretty good to watch

Reply #530725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how'd you go today, RMQ?

Reply #530791 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

It's an all star game... Hustle like Delly doesn't really fit the atmosphere - maybe in a grandfinal ;)

It went well. To be honest doing a Womens All Star game then a Mens back to back is really tiring.

We usually do a womens game then a mens - but no offence to the women, the mens game has that "main event" vibe. With the all star game both were "main events".

I'd say doing the music for an all-star game is a lot different to a normal game. While I'm very pro "don't play too much music" it's harder to do that in an All Star game because the crowd has no invested interest in either side.

It was fun - and a really good experience do be able to perform for a larger crowd for a more professional event.

Thank you for all your suggestions - like everything some songs on paper sound like they'd work, but when you get there you realise they don't. It was a great learning experience and we'll be back for the Grand Final :)

Reply #530829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't imagine how tiring playing music for 2 basketball games is. I assume you got to take a nap after the first game?

Reply #530831 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Nope - The women's game ended and then the men started warming up.

Reply #530866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha #530831

Reply #530871 | Report this post

Clinton  
Years ago

Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack
Ice Cube - You Can Do It
Kurupt - It's Over

Reply #550642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Clinton, they are just more of all that C-Rapp music we hear all the time, not what I would want to hear at a hoops venue, try again champ.

Reply #550741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stevie Wright - "Evie"

Sweet - The Ballroom Blitz

Suzi Quatro - Can The Can

The Shadows - Apache

Los Bravos - Black Is Black

and when someone is ejected play this:

Eruption - one way ticket

Reply #550742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754