sharod
Years ago

Viable approach for NBL Wellington expansion

Following the latest NBL acquisition, which Wellington expansion approach would be more viable from the previously/currently proposed models between Bill Wallace (cross regions community model) or Nick Mills (self ownership driven)? Any thoughts?

Topic #37169 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

None, it doesn't make sense to invest in low growth NZ markets.

Reply #530575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afaik they never applied.

Reply #530578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barely any of the current teams are viable, why bring more one and done clubs into the league

Reply #530605 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If they bring more TV broadcasts and have a sound business plan there is no reason why not. Further tapping into a market of four million also makes sense. Like anon further above, afaik there has never been an actual bid from Wellington.

Reply #530626 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wellington could easily be sustainable and a very well run organisation.

As mentioned in earlier threads, they (the Saints) already have virtually everything that a NBL club has (including a comparative roster).

Only issue is the sole ownerships vs. Consortium dilemma. Mills wants the former.

He hasn't formally put forward a bid because the above issue hasn't really progressed

Reply #530651 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I prefer the proven track record of Mills & the proven brand of his Wellington Saints to Wallace's fresh consortium approach.

Reply #530697 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Guys, I would love to see two NZ teams in the NBL one day, it certainly would complete the league as far as providing that international flavour and NZ basketball is improving all the time so it would help to provide more options and pathways over there.

How much does travel hurt the Breakers financially? I would not think it was much different to that of the Wildcats travelling from Perth every other week, but it may be more? With two teams in NZ they should play each other a few times, that will create a terrific rivalry and reduce some costs I would imagine...

Reply #530698 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mills has been talking NBL long before the other consortium entered the fray though MACDUB.

I would like to see a mixture of both to be honest, with Mills running the show but the varied ownership giving a bit more stability. There's a big difference in cost between running a team in our league and the NZ NBL.

Reply #530699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you guys are missing the point.

If the NBL want to be a successful league it needs to focus on where people are in where they are going to be in the next 10 years.

This rules out NZ, Tasmania, Adelaide etc.

But rules in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Sydney big time.

Kestleman doesn't need another scraped together team in the league, he needs future powerhouses.

Reply #530701 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Because a 2nd Syd team has always been so viable and successful. They have barely ever cared about their Kings.

Can't wait to see yet another "West Sydney" in the league, with it's 547 fans. It will be great!

A 2nd Perth team? Who in their right minds will support them? I know if I'm a Perth person, I'm sticking with the most successful franchise and an icon of that state's sporting landscape. Talk about bankruptcy waiting to happen.

Reply #530709 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I tend to agree somewhat, that Melbourne has potential for a second team (Victoria at least), and Brisbane would be next cab off the rank regardless. Then Tasmania and perhaps a NZ team down the track, but first comes solidification of the league...

Can't see Perth, Sydney or Adelaide getting a second team soon, it would water down their market too much IMO. The NBL has proven in the past that high populations in major cities isn't always the guide to success.

Reply #530711 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Absolutely, Victoria could maybe even have 2 more teams in the future. It's a big population with a big basketball culture.

Bris and another Melb in the next 3 years would be real progress, expansion-wise.

Reply #530712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great product + polulation = success.

Need to fix the product and Syedney etc. will get on board.

Reply #530714 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yeah, I can't be sold on Sydney. It has just never seemed like a sports town to me. Unless you are called the Blues and play your Northern neighbors 3 times a year, the city just doesn't seem interested.

I do understand what you're saying. But I think you are selling regional centres short. A well-run regional club can be iconic. Just ask the Geelong Cats and the Green Bay Packers.

I just dread the thought that the NBL will end up being Auckland, Brisbane, Sydney, Sydney, Melbourne, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Perth. That will be monumentally boring.

Reply #530720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green Bay Packers and Geelong are 100yo organisations at the peak ofeir country's dominat sporting code lol

Reply #530724 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yeah thanks, well aware of that. Just pointing out that a league with just the "major cities" is pretty dull in my eyes. Like the NFL would be with just NY, NY, LA, LA, Chicago, Dallas and Philly.

The Crocs have been around for nearly a quarter century, who's to say that if the NBL still exists in 25 years, that if run well and with a bit of luck winning a few titles, the Crocs couldn't be an iconic 50yo club in this league which players want to play for, like the Packers?

Reply #530726 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not to draw a direct parallel with another code, but the A-League is kind of like that, isn't it?

They have had their failures and successes along the way, now seem to have found a formula that appears to work, but at the same time I think the A-League has benefitted greatly from the exposure soccer success has had internationally...

For baksetball it will not be much different I feel, they are both world games and any success in the NBL will also need an injection of international success to make it really work in this country IMHO.

Reply #530752 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just on that thought, we have had major success at international level these past years (JUNIORS), with gold and silver medals and great games v USA.

Could the country possibly get behind these teams and show the tournaments on Fox TV or something, at least promote some of our great recent results?

Imagine how much interest we could have got out of decent promotion of the Aus v NZ qualifying game with that 3 pointer on the buzzer in OT, that kind of stuff should be gold for promoting the game but we don't get the coverage, it is cricket and soccer and footy or netball that appear to get it all...

It can only help basketball and the NBL IMO!

Reply #530753 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So people think a 2nd Adelaide team is the go, but NOT a 2nd NZ team???

A 2nd NZ is potentially a great idea, although I don't know enough about NZ demographics to say whether it should be Wellington or Christchurch (South Island) based.

Like any potential new franchise, it would require DEEP pockets. If Mills is prepared to stump up the cash, with long-term guarantees, then why not let him have a crack.

Reply #531078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The A league is still losing sqillions Bear.

Reply #531081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prove it anon^ don't just comment on it where have you read about it?

Reply #531100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754