Tom
Years ago

Greenwood, McCarron or Trist?

Assuming all 3 are playing in the new NBL this season, which one do you think would win rookie of the year? And which one would have the best career? Personally, I think if McCarron lands at the Kings he will win it as there is a huge hole at the 2 in Sydney.

Topic #37179 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

Also you could add Sam Rowley to the list who averaged 14 & 7 rebounds and Jeromie Hill who averaged 16 & 8 rebounds. Strong rookie class this year.

Reply #530782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is why there needs to be more teams.

Reply #530784 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

McCarron got bounce

Reply #530787 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It is a very good class - throw in Iggy Hadziomerovic in there too.

Expecting Iggy to land in Europe, but the others are definite NBL prospects.

Reply #530788 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

With these young guns coming in, stud Aussies returning home as rumoured they are and an import class as good if not better than last years. There is no reason to not be excited about the NBL next season.

Reply #530792 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Haven't heard much mention of Nicolas Kay, 13.4 and 6.5 rb playing with mccaron, would have to be sought after by nbl teams too surely. 6'9 Aussies with good college stats would have to be a rare commodity.

Reply #530793 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Kr, Putting up those numbers in Div2 isn't all that flash

Reply #530794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom - Do you know how many NBL Rookie of the Year come from D2 schools??

Reply #530795 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

How many did you put up Tom? Metro State is better than many D1 teams.

Kay could prove a nice addition to an NBL bench given the right opportunity. Only time will tell.

Reply #530796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay can go! McCarron is electric tho. Plays at both ends.

Reply #530797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #530800 | Report this post

Kaiju  
Years ago

Greenwood signed sith the Wildcats!!

Reply #530801 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Well I hope I'm proven wrong then.

Reply #530802 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Big fingers crossed that the Kings can step up and Coach Cotter can ink at least McCarron, the more highlights of him I watch, the more stoked I am with his game and think that he would fit in very nicely... Getting another solid young Sydney boy back in Trist would be the icing on the cake... I think the Kings are due for some positive things, surely? Eventually? Please?

Reply #530804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a huge fan of McCarron. Especially the salted caramel type, and also hazelnut.

Reply #530805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A massive boost for the nbl if they can get all 3 to sign

Reply #530807 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBL's a tough league for rookies, often it's better to be with a settled team like Perth or NZ to make the step up a bit easier. It takes a very good rookie to stand out on an average team.

Reply #530812 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The last few have managed to do that though, haven't they, Paul? I can't remember what state Cairns was in at the time they signed Cam & Clint (was it their down year after getting to the championship?) but I'd argue that with the type of players we get in as rookies, that it's easier for them to stand out on an average team as they get a better chance to make more of an impact... For their long term growth, well, that might be a different discussion topic, but you look at who Hugh would have in front of him and what sort of significant role he would have to play (barring injuries, which are, let's face it, always a high probability over there) compared to if the Kings sign McCarron (I am going to keep my fingers crossed until it happens!) and how much a role he'd have to step up to... Even players like Bose and Madgen and Brandt over the last few years, more has been asked of them and they've stood out more on teams that weren't really the quality of a Perth...

Reply #530813 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

McCarron is getting worked out by the Nuggets. watch this space

Reply #530816 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

McCarron has well and truly finished working out for the Nuggets already...he has a few more workouts to go (no dates or teams announced yet)

Reply #530822 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

So who are the likely list of college grads that are a chance to play Nbl next season?

And who can make an impact? Jeromie hill sounds exciting

Reply #530911 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

And any of them from sa?

Reply #530912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graduating class as taken from PnR

Name State Class Height Pos. School Conference
Jackson ALDRIDGE NSW Sr 6'0" G Butler Big East
Hugh GREENWOOD TAS Sr 6’3” G New Mexico Mountain West
Igor HADZIOMEROVIC VIC Sr 6’4” G Boise State Mountain West
Jeromie HILL QLD Sr 6’8” F Texas-San Antonio Conference USA
James HUNTER NSW Sr 6’10” C South Dakota Summit
Dexter KERNICH-DREW VIC Sr 6’7” G Washington State Pac-12
Sam ROWLEY NSW Sr 6’6” F Albany America East
Chudier PAL WA Sr 6’9” C UNC-Asheville Big South
Daniel TRIST NSW Sr 6’9” F Lafayette Patriot League
Ben WILSON QLD Sr 6’5” G Idaho State Big Sky
Corban WROE QLD Sr 6’2” G Hartford America East

Reply #530915 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Going to be a great year for rookies in the NBL.

Reply #530923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Kernich-Drew a possible 3 and D prospect in the NBL?

Reply #530924 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

McCarron was with the Lakers working out yesterday LC, but thanks for the news on further potential workouts. I think with guys like Delly playing so well in roles, there are always eyes open today to snag a great role player. Will be interesting as he has the strength and athleticism to play, and is a much better shooter than Delly. I'm unsure how he would go defensively at that level though.

Reply #530930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here are some video interviews with McCarron at the Nuggets and Lakers workouts.

Denver - http://www.nba.com/nuggets/draft/2015/prospect/Mitch-McCarron
Lakers - http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/150602DraftWorkoutsMcCarron

Speaks impressively and appears humble and just enjoying the moment. It cam at a great time that the Wall Street Journal said that every team needs an aussie due to the unselfishness (http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-every-nba-team-needs-an-australian-1433175989).

I still think he is a long shot to be drafted but a very high chance of making a summer league roster and then work hard and hope to knock down shots for a chance for a roster spot. Similar pathway to Delly.

I suppose for stats comparison, Cam Gliddon did not play Div 1 basketball either (NAIA) and McCarron put up better numbers than Gliddon and won Div 2 player of the year.

side note: wouldn't it be great if Basketball Australia actually did write ups on Aussie basketballers doing well overseas?

Reply #530941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"side note: wouldn't it be great if Basketball Australia actually did write ups on Aussie basketballers doing well overseas?"

Absolutely

Reply #531034 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754