ren and stimpy
Years ago

BA should categorize tournaments nationally

just my 2 bobs worth.

BA should categorize tournaments nationally so there is some structure.

i.e. u14 club / classics category A tourney

nunawading / Dandy category B

etc
etc

gives everyone some idea of the status and what to expect with minimum benchmarks - i.e. bench personnel supplied, level of refs

Topic #37215 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What problem does that fix?

Reply #531817 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe fixes parental problem. Or perhaps clubs let their members know beforehand. Which tournaments does Sturt condescend to attend?

Reply #531824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea. BA need to build up club tournaments. BUild up club system, strengthen pathway and help them succeed up the top. BA don't get it anymore.

Reply #531825 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What do you mean by club? Nunawading, Ballarat, Classic, all held this weekend are not really club tournaments, they are rep association tournaments.

I know Country Vic used to run a club championship (for domestic clubs), but I don't know of any other club based tournaments. Are there any in Vic or interstate?

Even Under 14 National clubs is actually a association rep tournament.

Perhaps a good starting point for the OP's question would be classification of Club vs rep vs state etc.

Reply #531830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is they are all so OVER the TOP focused on participation and getting more kids to play, they have devalued and diluted , Representative basketball. We have parents with U18 boys in the VJBL Regional 7 discussing what colleges their little Johnny might get into, when in reality he shouldn't even be playing Rep.

Reply #531831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO

SA don't have associations. All the teams you play from SA are smaller in size than some of your domestic clubs.

Reply #531836 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It sounds easier than it would be to do, reason being exactly what anon^ is suggesting. Each state has a different structure and while I think the idea has merit, not sure if BA would put in the effort.

HO, the Vic Country Club Champs, it is on in October and has been running for a while, I seem to recall some others, even in Geelong they tried it for a couple of years and got some decent numbers but the concept dropped off.

Reply #531858 | Report this post

ren and stimpy  
Years ago

that is why ba needs to categorize them - so interstate teams know what to expect and what levels of teams attend. some of the talk clubs are putting on their facebooks can be misleading ... i.e. won the "blah blah" tournament etc

Reply #531897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's only misleading if they didn't win it.
Are you really that worked up that Team A won B grade at Nunawading and are..suprise...proud of their team's achievement?
Sorry if a clubs facebook post chips away at your ego...

Reply #531898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think by now anyone and everyone should have an idea of what is what. The National Junior Classic is the pinnacle, being an invitation only tournament, then they drop pretty sharply away from there.

The problem with any one tournament in any one year depends on how many coaches drop teams down below their level to win a title. So a ranking as such becomes opinion.

I can only speak for Victorian tournaments and the Norwood Tournament and using a 1 to 10 rating scale with 10 being the best, IMO;
10 National Junior Classic
7 Nunawading and Eltham on a par
6 Norwood (only in my one year experience, could be better)
5 Southern Peninsula
3 Shepparton, Whittlesea
1 Ballarat

I know there is a Bendigo Tournament but don't know anything about it.

Again it all depends on the year, the age group and whether it is boys or girls. The only one out of this lot that you know will be right is the first because it is invitation only.

That's my spin for what it's worth.

Reply #531901 | Report this post

ren and stimpy  
Years ago

exactly - last poster - after the big regulars - we have no idea of what the levels are when looking for tourneys beyond the big ones - so at least a rating allows us to plan. Or even NZ teams in the future.

Reply #531902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rate Eltham an 8. It's more of a "pre season" type of tournament, but the majority of VJBL plays, including most teams that end up at the Classic.

Nunawading doesn't have the best 8 Vic or 4 SA teams, so it's a level below, even though teams are in mid season form by then.

Reply #531907 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

^ 907 You're right with just one suggestion, because coaches get the opportunity to play their teams up for the better competition even if they get flogged or play down to win a title, that sometimes plays with the crdibility of some grades.

Although the same could be said for the Nunawading Tournament but without the top teams playing Classic.

If anything I'd leave ELtham at 7 and drop Nuna to 6.

Reply #531918 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Eltham/Dandenong tournament is by far a better tournament than Nunawading. Almost every VC team plays in this as it is a good intro back from school holidays. As a previous poster said, Nunawading does not include the best 8 Vic teams and there is no guarantee of the rest as some don't bother because the standard is not that high.

Eltham an 8 and Nuna a 6 IMO

Reply #531932 | Report this post

Vic Parent  
Years ago

I basically agree with the ratings suggested but with the one exception that Classic is basically the pinnacle in terms of it is invitation only, the best of the best and there are no easy games.

Eltham even in A grade you can get very good and not so good teams, so for me with the standard being Classic at a 10, Eltham a 7 and Nunawading on par with Norwood on 5, the difference solely being the guaranteed difference in standard.

Reply #531935 | Report this post

Phobos 32  
Years ago

Would always rate Nunawading higher than Norwood. Shopping is better. In fact shops are open in Melbourne. Better food and better roads. In fact better footy venues and public transportation. Better accommodation. Where do I stop? What suckers go to Norwood?

Reply #531940 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Vic Parent - there are no easy games at Classic - have you seen some of the results?

Reply #531950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754