Years ago

NBL missing NBA Finals boat is a massive blunder

Another missed opportunity by the NBL.

This article on The Roar says it all.

Topic #37238 | Report this topic

Greg  
Years ago

Here's the link to the article!

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/06/10/nbl-missing-nba-finals-boat-massive-blunder/

Reply #532340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truly amazing how poorly run basketball promotion is in this country! But having said that, what is it exactly that the NBL should be doing?

Isn't it BA's job to promote the sport here, not just the NBL, and isn't the NBL a private organisation now, run like a company?

Is it the NBL's responsibility to link up with the NBA? Does the NBA want it as a promotional partner, does the NBA need the NBL or does the NBL need the NBA?

Reply #532344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screenings and clinics....yeah, what a great idea.

Terrible article.

Reply #532347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is getting too much positive press let's bring it down a notch by bagging the NBL

Reply #532348 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

As Anon above says, BA's job to promote the sport in Australia. Thought they shoudl be pushing the potential of 2 NBA finallists playing in teh Oceania Championships in a couple of months.

I'm not sure NBL would want to promote a competitor and, until they form some sort of alliance, NBA is very much a competitor. NBL also seems currently very focused on getting tv deal sorted, which is much more important to its survival than promoting Australians in the NBA, at the moment.

The article is a bit shallow and emotional.

Reply #532349 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Any publicity has to be good publicity for the NBL. If the product is inferior a TV deal won't fix it.

Reply #532360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wouldn't be a bad thing to promote but the NBA Finals are not really something the NBL can capitalise on. The article only listed two things - one was a clinic. He ran out of ideas after that.

Reply #532362 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The Nbl season should start midway through the NBA finals IMO.

Reply #532363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should run a clinic first.

Reply #532364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How were you going to boost the NBL based on two Aussies playing in the NBA, a superior league in every way? If anything if im a casual sports fan hearing about Delly or bogut it's gonna make me watch the NBA before it made me watch the lowly semi-pro NBL.

Reply #532372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not sure they'd want to promote a competitor"

That is like saying "oh our under 12 Auskick squad can't go watch the Power play, that's supporting a competitor"

Reply #532373 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

The Big Banga has clinics coming up in Syd and Bris. Check his fb page for details! They in July.

Reply #532374 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

No mention of BA involvement on the poster mind you!

Reply #532375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think any time an aussie has a good patch in the NBA, the NBL should take immediate action and start their next season straight away to capitalise on it. Also they should strike while the iron is hot with the basketball following public and suddenly conjure up a big promotions budget to do stuff with. Also Basketball Australia should run some clinics about how to write a sensible article. I follow the Wildcats in the NBL and I can tell you for sure that if they made a few tweets about Delly & Lebron then more people would surely flock to Cats home games in October in response.

Reply #532393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a joke right? You'd go to an NBL game because that team tweeted about two players that are playing in a much superior league and who have never played in the NBL so they can't even make the connection between the two leagues.

Reply #532395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whole thread is a joke!

Reply #532402 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Some formal link between the NBA should be one of the highest aims for the NBL, but it's naive to suggest this is easily done.

I think the NBL could have tweeted a bit about Australians in the finals etc but it's hardly a massive blunder not to make the most of this tenuous link.

Reply #532620 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754