Oberon 28
Years ago

NZ Breakers sign Shane McDonald

http://www.nzbreakers.co.nz/article/id/r01lf7f8b3h215o72n6mtqz5e

Topic #37290 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great singing for them nice fit behind Jackson and hope he does well in NZ

Also Nice to see Shane is still growing at his age as last time I run into him (6 weeks ago) he wasn't 6"2 but maybe they measure things differently in NZ

Reply #533576 | Report this post

sammy  
Years ago

great Signing.. Why has he now made the decision? When hes clearly been the best (or top 5 every year) Australian seabl player for quite some years now.

Clubs clearly would have been interested at him, when you consider Shaun Bruce was given his opportunity after good 2 strong Seabl Seasons

- Finally a decent offer on the table?

Reply #533586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe fits with his work now or just better timing/security

Reply #533597 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Dollars must of been right as hes a school teacher i believe.

Reply #533599 | Report this post

lights out  
Years ago

Congrats to Shane another Country Vic Kid who deserves all that comes his way.

Reply #533616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HaHa what Is this a Joke where are there local guards got to give there own talent a go this is bullshit.

Reply #533630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HaHa what Is this a Joke where are there local guards got to give there own talent a go this is bullshit.

Reply #533631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can say that again mate!

Reply #533637 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

So they shouldn't have signed him because he's not from NZ?
Rhys Carter wasn't from NZ last time I checked yet no one was offended by his inclusion...

Reply #533644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shit signing. Journeyman. Surely there is a nz player who could fill a back up guard spot! Reminds me of when they used to play Ben Thompson, and other half talents from Aussie when guys like Steve fitchett weren't given a go. Yet they were good enough for the tall blacks.

Reply #533659 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

They are trying to repeat. It's not about giving blokes "a go"

Reply #533662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back in Lememis early days he used to pull every stiff known to man into the 7 to 10 positions in the team. Names like Adam tanner, Ryan kertens and Adam darragh.

Smells like that to me.

McDonald will do nothing to help us repeat. What has happened to the famed breaker academy? Can they not produce something better than a washed up "neverhasbeen".

Reply #533667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is, if you have a player available in nz, and a lesser player available from Aussie, why go for the worse Aussie player?

Reply #533675 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The NZ academy continues to produce very talented players.

But as is a common problem in NZ basketball, we can't produce high quality point guards.

The academy has assisted in the development of a lot of talented players - i mean Tai Wynyard came through and he is what..a top 15-20 high school player in the world.

I do see your point though - we have a really good PG coming through named Ili - he is just as good if not better than McDonald save for 8 years of age.

But i wouldnt be so quick to blame the academy given they can lay claim to a player like Wynyard. PG is a major issue and NZ hasn't produced a world class PG ever(?).

I have my own thoughts on why that is - Mr. Paul Henare. With all due respect, i am not so sure that he has the tools to develop elite PG talent (and same with Flavell). Learning the PG position from a guy like Henare would have massive benefits (defense and reading the game) but so many limitations as well and perhaps thats why they never kick on to the next level (Bloxham a prime example).

NZ basketball has proven its ability to develop big men with good fundamentals, solid skill sets and a great understanding of the game. Unfortunately, they haven't quite mastered the formula on developing PGs - which IMO requires greater technical learning and even more polished skill sets. No question its harder ti produce a Patty Mills than a Steve Adams. A Mills players has to be refined and polished in every facet at 19 to make the next level. An Adams player doesn't quite have to be. Still a helluva effort in any event.

Reply #533680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark dickel - lead NCAA in assists for UNLV and played in high level euro teams

Reply #533685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickek should have been drafted but nasty head injury at I think draft combine? Stopped chances

Reply #533687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you Macdub, although Mark Dickel was pretty good over here in his Titans days playing as an import.

The McDonald signing is baffling. He's one of those players who is a star in a lesser league but from what I remember seeing of him in the NBL thought he was fortunate to ever get a look in at this level.

I would've thought there would be 2-3 players of comparable talent running around in the NZ league.

Reply #533688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John McDonald was a great point guard. A few years ago now. Warwick meehl was okay

Lli, tait, bloxham, ruakawa, Kenny, leeti...

All would be better than a school teacher from somewhere in Victoria

Reply #533690 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would have liked to see the sign Brook Ruscoe and play Corey Webster at PG when Jackson is on the bench. Ruscoe has really found his groove this NZ NBL season and is a player of the future.

Reply #533701 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Congratulations to Shane though, really looking forward to seeing what he can produce. What an opportunity in a truly elite sporting organisation.

Reply #533702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul

Great option

Ruscoe is a very talented player.

Reply #533716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They trying to win it this year so Shane plays 5-10 mins a game behind Jackson, he is mature causes no issues and will keep Off flowing. Think it's a great pick up and they still have Devlop spots

Reply #533733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the local NZ kids are good enough then there are 7 other clubs that can also bring them in.

There wasn't the same backlash when NZ signed Corletto and Carter who are of similar ability, just were probably more well known.

Cairns could have brought a local Cairns kid into the program instead of Shaun Bruce. Shaun was plucked out of the SEABL without a impressive resume behind him, and he has really helped their program.

I'm not a huge fan of watching Shane McDonald at SEABL level. He is an assist hunter that runs a lot of stuff for himself and only passes when it is likely that an assist will be the result. Although I'm sure he'll fill a role for NZ and do what they need him to do.

Reply #533740 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He'll do what he's told or he'll get cut, it's that simple.
Breakers have been holding trials for the development spots.
The Breakers staff know who's out there locally and their abilities and still decided to go with Shane, I'll trust them on this one. I like that he's older as Bailey and TeRangi are still pretty young but only time will tell.
Look how many of you thought Melbourne had a hope in hell last season.....

Reply #533748 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

Where is Rhys Carter going?

Reply #533792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Similar ability to corletto and carter?

I would not have thought so.

I've seen him play and think he is mud. Seems to do ok in seabl but everything goes through him.

Would jarrod Kenny. A former dev player for the breakers, a tall black, could he not have come in and played 5 to 10

Reply #533808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AGREE 100% give Kenny a go or Shane lli

Reply #533811 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"Would jarrod Kenny. A former dev player for the breakers, a tall black, could he not have come in and played 5 to 10"

Jarred Kenny is no threat from outside, Shane McDonald apparently goes ok from range.

Shea Illi is likely to continue to be a development player.

Reply #533824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro

Life is full of trade offs. Sure he can't shoot but can defend and drive better and is imo a better player...

Reply #533902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With a few young guys already in the rotation it makes sense as a signing.

Been around league a few times before is a bit older and by all reports keeps himself in great knick plus is mature so helps balance with a couple of younger heads.

Those younger guys mentioned could have a future but they'll get chances if good enough, also think just cause they NZ based they have to take guys from NZ that's wat the devlop spots are for roster spots are the winning/here and now part of franchise. Sane as Aust teams have picked up Kiwis before don't think it matters were u ftom

Reply #533903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrod Kenny ain't that young

Lindsay tait?

Reply #533922 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"Mystro

Life is full of trade offs. Sure he can't shoot but can defend and drive better and is imo a better player..."

With the rest of the squad they have the Coach wants to be able to space the floor so Abercrombie has room to cut and Vukona and Wesley have room to isolate defenders on the block.
Having a ball handler that is no threat to blow by anyone or pull up from range doesn't help that strategy. Dean Vickerman trusts him to run his offence how he wants him to and find the open guys with his passing game and knock down shots when required, hopefully he can do this.

Jarrod Kenney has played in front of Paul Henare and Judd Flavell countless times, not to mention Dean Vickerman. They know his abilities and limitations.

Reply #534014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know his limitations as well. I've also seen McDonald play several times as well so know we are getting a slow pg with no penetration or defending skills. Assuming he stays on the court long enough without these being exposed, yes he might hit the odd three. Life is about trade offs

I think the argument that the coaches have seen them and picked them therefore it is right, is no argument. Shut down the forum if that is the case.

Are you vickermsn dad? How else do you know what the coach wants to do? You could speculate what the coach wants, but you tell us as though you are an assistant. You have no idea what the coach wants to achieve, you speculate like everyone else.

If you are correct, then it makes no sense for his game plan based on last year. Last year they flagged corletto, not because he could shoot and space the floor, but bc he was slow and not a great defender.

Btw McDonald ain't blowin by anyone. Say no more.

Reply #534037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I've also seen McDonald play several times as well so know we are getting a slow pg with no penetration or defending skills"
I hope anonoymous you aren't talking about Macca. If you say you have seen him play yi6u clearly have never seen him play.

Reply #534041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right

Reply #534136 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dear Jarrod Kenney's Mum,

It's lovely that you still rate your son highly. Give him a cuddle and a pat on the back for everyone and tell him maybe next year.

Love

Everyone Else

How do I know what Vickerman wants?
I read a statement he made in regards to why he picked Shane.

I'm not an assistant at the Breakers, merely someone with the ability to read.

Reply #534142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=190395571&client=0-189-12314-125710-369909

I presume his shooting ability has improved in the last 4 years?

When he played in Perth he couldn't shoot over a Coke can.

Reply #534143 | Report this post

TYRELL  
Years ago

Vickerman know's him from Singapore Slingers days!

Reply #534180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro

I can read to. If u can't come up with something more insightful than rejurgitating the generally poor Nz media and what the coach says then don't bother. Like I said, the coach is not always right. That is why we have the forum

also don't bother if you can't come up with something a little more original than " xyz " mum. It's unoriginal. Given all the other names mentioned on the post tait, lli, etc etc..

Reply #534251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember him as a very poor guard at the slingers. Then he came to Auckland with a Melbourne team. Even worse.

Reply #534252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon pretty sure he was a short term signing with melbourne for like 2 weeks off 1 training session.

Reply #534274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Wikipedia

With the Tigers having sacked import guard Ayinde Ubaka, the club signed McDonald to a short-term deal on 18 January 2012.[9][10] He managed just one game for the Tigers in a road loss to the New Zealand Breakers the following day; he managed four points and one assist in five minutes of game time.[5]

Reply #534350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think someone's mum or brother isn't happybthere little cuzzie got over looked like totally choice bro

Reply #534359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are lovers bro

Reply #534395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So clearly anonymous you know nothing of shanes current game. Just tar him with a 1 game game expert opinion from umpteen years ago.

Reply #534397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw him play 3 games for slingers, once for Melbourne. He's mud

Reply #534467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Only time will tell with this debate. Vickerman has had mixed recruiting form the past two years, so we will wait and see where this one falls.

Certainly McDonald is stepping into a great system and team culture which should help, although the big question mark is what their rim protection will be like next season, and that will have an impact on McDonald.

Reply #534469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul

Appreciate the insightful reply. So much more educated than blindly quoting the media and the coach therefore it must be correct. Or because I suggest other players I must be their mum, which is very funny and original. Or just claiming I never saw the player, when clearly I have. Instead you add to the debate with something intelligent.

Nz breakers fans have been fairly tolerant of some poor "they come from Aussie, or have been successful in Aussie therefore they must be better". Good examples include John rillie and Marcus Timmons. But over the years we became less tolerant. This coincided with The breakers discovering their kiwiness, they recognised what made them special. Which in turn coincided with a pretty good run. I think this is a return to the old thinking.

As Paul has correctly stated

Time will tell

Reply #534505 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Re #533659

Macca is generally regarded as the best PG in SEABL, and by a fair margin. He thrives on penetration, and is an excellent perimeter defender. Excellent basketball IQ and has an NBL history. Couldn't be happier for the guy, and he'll be good for the Breakers.

Congratulations Macca.

Reply #534541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go dee Macca play. Simple. You probably have never seen a seabl game anonymous let macca play now in 2015. The above post sums it up.
^5

Reply #534545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are right I have never seen a seabl game. Seen hindreds of nznbl.

you could say tait is considered the best pg I n the nznbl. Has been for years.

I have heard it say nznbl is above seabl

I guess you know where I am going with this. Good points though

Reply #534547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do. Tait is the best in nzbl and Macca is the best in seabl. Yet based on performances yrsrs ago Macca us mud. Great logic.

Reply #534554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do. Tait is the best in nzbl and Macca is the best in seabl. Yet based on performances yrsrs ago Macca us mud. Great logic.

Reply #534555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

English not a strong point clearly. I'd love to respond but I'm not sure what you are trying to communicated

Reply #534600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754