Rav
Years ago

Chad Ford Mock NBA Draft 7.0

With the NBA Draft less than a week away, I thought I would share Legendary ESPN Analysis Chad Fords latest Mock Draft. Interesting to see if Philly pick another big in this draft? + See what the lakers and knicks do with their picks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Karl-Anthony Towns - Minnesota Timberwolves COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-11 WT: 250 POS: C
It's a two-man race between Towns and Jahlil Okafor for the No. 1 pick, multiple sources say, even though the Wolves also have been trying to get in D'Angelo Russell, traveled to Vegas to see Kristaps Porzingis and are bringing in Emmanuel Mudiay. Which guy will they take? General manager and coach Flip Saunders has been an Okafor guy all year, but most of his staff is pushing for Towns, who will be a better fit given Minnesota's personnel. Saunders traveled to Thousand Oaks last week to watch Towns work out. After the workout, I kept getting assured that Flip will ultimately turn Towns' way. But it's not a done deal. Okafor was in Minnesota on Tuesday and Wednesday.

2) Jahlil Okafor - Los Angeles Lakers COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-11WT: 275 POS: C - The Lakers will keep crossing their fingers that Towns somehow falls to them. If he doesn't, it sounds like it's down to Okafor versus Russell for No. 2. Both players worked out for the Lakers last week. While neither player necessarily wowed in the workout (Russell was fighting a bug and Okafor struggled a bit with the pace of the workout), neither hurt or separated himself, I'm told. Mudiay also came in for a workout, and while he was impressive in many areas, he didn't shoot the ball as well as he did in other workouts. The Lakers also traveled to Vegas to see Porzingis work out and they interviewed him afterward. They were impressed, but I'm told it's doubtful they'd select him over Okafor or Russell. There are arguments for both players, but I'm told the Lakers fear that getting a quality center via free agency or trade will be much harder than getting a scoring guard. Advantage: Okafor.

3) Kristaps Porzingis - Philadelphia 76ers COLLEGE: Latvia HT: 6-11 WT: 220 POS: PF - We've been hearing both Mudiay's and Russell's name here for months. But in the past few weeks, multiple sources around the league suspect that GM Sam Hinkie may actually be leaning toward Porzingis. He's an odd fit, given the Sixers' abundance of big men (though news that Joel Embiid's foot hasn't healed may change the fit analysis). But Hinkie has always drafted based on the best-player-available strategy. He doesn't draft for need. So while the team needs Mudiay or Russell more, if he believes Porzingis is the best player on the board, so be it. Or, as one rival GM believed, this Porzingis intel is all a smoke screen to get Orlando (who loves Porzingis) to trade up to No. 3 and give Hinkie another coveted asset. I believe Porzingis' camp strongly prefers he land in Orlando.

4) D'Angelo Russell - New York Knicks COLLEGE: Ohio State HT: 6-5 WT: 193 POS: PG - As I wrote on Monday, the Knicks are exploring possibly trading their pick if Towns, Okafor and Russell are all off the board at No. 4. They'd trade down a few spots, grab someone like Frank Kaminsky and get a veteran to help them now. However, in this scenario, I doubt they trade their pick. For all of Phil Jackson's talk about defense, Russell is an almost perfect fit in the triangle. While he could go as high as No. 2, I doubt Russell slides past No. 4.

5) Mario Hezonja - Orlando Magic COLLEGE: Croatia HT: 6-7WT: 200 POS: SF
The Magic have been very high on Porzingis, but he's not the only player who makes sense for them. The team badly needs shooting and Hezonja's ability to shoot from 3-point range, combined with his athleticism and aggressiveness on the scoring end, will be a perfect addition to the defensive-minded Magic. Willie Cauley-Stein is another option here for Orlando if Porzingis is off the board, but I think Hezonja's offense is more of a need.

6) Emmanuel Mudiay - Sacramento Kings COLLEGE: China HT: 6-5WT: 196 POS: PG - The Kings have needed an elite point guard for some time and I think if Mudiay is on the board, it's going to be hard for them to pass. On talent, he's a top-four pick and is a major upgrade over Darren Collison at the point. Cauley-Stein is the other option for Sacramento, and he's also a fit, but I just don't see them passing on Mudiay if he's still on the board.

7) Justise Winslow - Denver Nuggets COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-6WT: 222 POS: SF- We've had Winslow here for a while and still think this is his floor. He'll get looks as high as the Knicks at No. 4 and the Magic at No. 5. But he'd be a good fit in Denver, and defensive mastermind Mike Malone, the Nuggets' new coach, could really use a player like Winslow to help jump-start the defense.

8) Sam Dekker - Detroit Pistons COLLEGE: Wisconsin HT: 6-9 WT: 219 POS: SF - Everyone in the league has Mario Hezonja pegged here for the Pistons. And if he falls to No. 8, it's likely he'll be the pick. However, if he's off the board, don't be surprised if the Pistons select Dekker a few spots higher than other NBA teams have him. He had a terrific workout there Saturday, shot the lights out, and is more NBA-ready than several of the wings. The Pistons also have a huge hole at the 3. Stanley Johnson and Devin Booker will be other options for Detroit.

9) Devin Booker - Charlotte Hornets COLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-6WT: 206POS: SG - The Hornets traded Lance Stephenson to the Clippers on Monday, getting Spencer Hawes and Matt Barnes in return. Barnes likely will be waived, which means there's a very strong chance the Hornets will look to replace Stephenson with a 2-guard who can shoot 3s. Booker is probably the best shooter on the board. No. 9 might be a little high, but given how desperately the Hornets need shooting, I don't think they'll mind reaching. There's another scenario to consider. The Hornets also really like both Kelly Oubre and R.J. Hunter. I'm told they'll explore options to trade back into the mid to late teens if they can land a valuable veteran as well for the No. 9 pick. One team to watch in that scenario? Boston. They've been exploring moving up for a while and would be especially thrilled if Willie Cauley-Stein was still on the board.

10) Stanley Johnson - Miami Heat - COLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-6WT: 242POS: SF- Frank Kaminsky, Dekker and Johnson are the three players most likely to find a home in Miami. In this scenario, Dekker is off the board. Kaminsky is an option -- they could use more offense in the middle -- but the Heat's needs at the 3 may push Johnson to the top. He's tough, plays on both ends and is super-competitive. His upside might not be as high as that of several others on the board, but I wouldn't be shocked if Miami is content to hit a double instead of a home run.

11) Willie Cauley-Stein - Indiana Pacers COLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 7-1WT: 242 POS: C - Team president Larry Bird told Cauley-Stein he thought he'd be a max player someday. For weeks, it has looked as if Cauley-Stein could go as high as the Knicks at No. 4 and the Kings at No. 6. That's still possible. But if both teams pass, then Cauley-Stein could slide, and I doubt he gets past the Pacers. They are looking to re-energize their front line with speed and defense. Cauley-Stein offers both and is worth the risk. Cameron Payne, Myles Turner and Bobby Portis are other players getting a strong look from Indiana.

12) Myles Turner - Utah Jazz COLLEGE: TexasHT: 6-11WT: 239 POS: PF
The Jazz have been looking at about seven players at this spot: Turner, Trey Lyles, Frank Kaminsky, Johnson, Dekker, Kevon Looney and Kelly Oubre. You can make a solid argument for each of them. However, if Turner somehow falls to them at 12, I don't know how they pass. The Jazz have the ability to be patient. They have starters at every position and money to add a few free-agent veterans to support the bench. And Turner gives them something they don't have: a big man who can really stretch the floor. If Turner is gone, I think Lyles is the next most likely option.

13) Frank Kaminsky - Phoenix Suns COLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 7-1WT: 231 POS: C
It has been hard to get a read on what Phoenix is going to do at 13. There are a lot of variables left in the draft. But Kaminsky makes a lot of sense for a team that's trying to fight its way into the Western Conference playoffs next season. He's more ready than most draft prospects to come in and do his thing. His ability to stretch the floor is especially appealing. Alex Len can't play 48 minutes a night. The Suns really need backup help at the 5.

14) Cameron Payne - Oklahoma City Thunder COLLEGE: Murray State HT: 6-2WT: 183 POS: PG
The Thunder have been on Payne for a while. They need a long-term backup behind Russell Westbrook, and the buzz around Payne has made him a real draft sleeper. Payne has a high basketball IQ, excels in the pick-and-roll and has great quickness for his size. Another sleeper at No. 14, I'm told, is Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

15) Bobby Portis - Atlanta Hawks COLLEGE: Arkansas HT: 6-11 WT: 246 POS: PF The Hawks get this pick from Brooklyn. Portis has drawn raves everywhere he works out. He has a great motor, is skilled, and competes on both ends of the floor. He's one of the safest players in the draft and could go as high as 11 to the Pacers. But at 15, he gives the Hawks some much-needed support in the frontcourt. Portis can rebound, block shots and stretch the floor, and he gives you tremendous energy. Trey Lyles and Kelly Oubre are other potential options for Atlanta.

16) Kelly Oubre - Boston Celtics COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 6-7WT: 203POS: SF

17) Trey Lyles - Milwaukee Bucks COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-10WT: 242 POS: PF

18) Tyus Jones - Houston Rockets COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-2WT: 185 POS: PG

19) Kevon Looney - Washington Wizards COLLEGE: UCLAHT: 6-9WT: 222 POS: PF

20) Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - Toronto Raptors COLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 211 POS: SF

21) Jerian Grant - Dallas Mavericks COLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-4WT: 198 POS: PG

22) Rashad Vaughn - Chicago Bulls COLLEGE: UNLV HT: 6-5WT: 199POS: SG

23) R.J. Hunter - Portland Trail Blazers COLLEGE: Georgia StHT: 6-6WT: 185 POS: SG

24) Delon Wright - Cleveland Cavaliers COLLEGE: Utah HT: 6-6WT: 181POS: PG

25) Justin Anderson - Memphis Grizzlies COLLEGE: VirginiaHT: 6-6WT: 231POS: SF

26) Montrezl Harrell - San Antonio Spurs COLLEGE: Louisville HT: 6-8WT: 253 POS: PF

27) Joseph Young - Los Angeles Lakers COLLEGE: Oregon HT: 6-2WT: 182POS: SG (via Houston)

28) Jarell Martin - Boston Celtics COLLEGE: LSU HT: 6-9WT: 239POS: PF

29) Chris McCullough - Brooklyn Nets COLLEGE: Syracuse HT: 6-9WT: 199 POS: PF (via Atlanta)

30) Anthony Brown - Golden State Warriors COLLEGE: Stanford HT: 6-7WT: 211POS: SG

Topic #37295 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this is more accurate:

http://www.nbadraft.net

Reply #533638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joke i hope, that is vomit inducing order.

Reply #533640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which one?

Reply #533643 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Might miss out on RHJ at 20 but Spurs will get a nice rotation player from 22-28. If we trade out of the 1st round you know the play for the big time free agent is alive and it's all out cap space time.

Reply #533647 | Report this post

Hatty Pills  
Years ago

It's amazing to think that in America, basketball is so popular that people get paid to predict what the NBA draft will be like.

Reply #533650 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Nba draft net one is bogus for mine

Reply #533668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We shall see. It is certainly possible

Reply #533683 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

I really like the top 6 guys.

Reply #533705 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how Kristaps Porzingis. His jump shot looks good, and his play has been better than decent in Europe. He is stick figure thin though and needs to go to a team with an established low post banger already (do they still exist).

Kind of stunned that there is "talk" that Jahlil Okafor is slipping in the draft. That package of size and interior scoring just doesn't happen out of college any more.

Reply #533724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:02 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754