Anonymous
Years ago

Mount Gambier Pioneers Season 2015

Can the Pioneers go all the way again this year in the SEABL?

It is very early to be calling a winner, but the Pioneers are starting to get on a roll. Just had their toughest road trip of the season against Geelong last night, 21 point win and Bendigo today, 18 point win.

Topic #37304 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on their impressive weekend you would have to think they are a very good chance. Playing some very good BBall.

Reply #533865 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

They are the benchmark!!!

Reply #533871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was Ballarat today not Bendigo. Absolutely smacked Geelong oat the arena. We're up by 30 plus in the third. The will finish top of South, likely to give them two home finals. Hard to see them not making championship game again. It's all about team for the pioneers, but Damian Johnson deserves a mention for his all round game today not far of a quadruple double today. 15 points, 12 rebounds, 7 assists, 8 blocks!

Reply #533875 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, well done to the Pioneers, just out of interest how many on their SEABL roster are home grown from Mount Gambier (I am not that familiar with the team)?

Reply #533891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear at Seabl level local players are great but reality is most clubs can't develop enough players to fill the side. Even harder for a team like Mt G with small population and lack of strong second tier comp.

If each club has 2/3 its a good result

Reply #533897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wouldn't Mount Gambier's drawing pool be SA? Daly, Hill, Burdon, Sutton, etc all have a lot of history playing in SA.

Reply #533900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A small town like Mt Gambier is never going to be able to compete with local players only. Having said that it is developing some good local juniors so hopefully they stick around. Football does draw away some of the young talent.

Some credit must surely go to Richard Hill for being able to recruit in the right type of player, including imports. To have everyone playing for the team and not being concerned about individual stats is very hard to achieve in this league. It was a big difference over the weekend. The fact that the core have stayed together for a number of season now also says much about the programme.

Reply #533916 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I understand the difficulty in developing SEABL level juniors through small towns and small Associations, not saying that the whole team has to be local talent either, even Geelong has to seek talent from elsewhere and buy in some imports to compete.

I was just wondering how many there are, who could be considered home grown?

Is there a stipulation by SEABL or a rule that governs how many a team must have, or is it open cheque book and off you go...?

Reply #533945 | Report this post

lights out  
Years ago

Bear , unfortunately SEABL is about making money or ends meet for many clubs. Even Geelong look elsewhere before developing their own. Werribee seems to be their location of choice this year. Very sad for those local players, both male and female.

Reply #533962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear acknowledged that Geelong also look elsewhere but they also have a few home grown every season. They also give their best local talent every opportunity, not as sad as you might think. Werribee have no SEABL yet, so what's your point ?

Reply #533993 | Report this post

lights out  
Years ago

@893 I am not from Geelong but presuming you are as you must have some knowledge about " They also give their best local talent every opportunity". I can only go by team listings etc and only local added this years Morris in the Womens SEABL side.

Reply #533996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's so competitive in SEABl so development is limited to spot minutes and youth leagues.

I think locals are great but reality is not every kid can play junior ball at a SEABL club for a number of reasons so to have rules around that sort of thing is a bit hard to enforce/impose on clubs.

In theory locals or great don't get me wrong but talent levels coming thru all clubs change year to year and really it's all about go recruitment and trying to get Aussies in when they return from college or out of lesser program in there early 20's and keeping them long term so they give back to the club and local community even if they didn't play juniors there.

Reply #533998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm wondering how many young local players coming through the Mt likely to get time in the court ?

Reply #533999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@lights out, as far as the Supercats go they have a few youth league or u/18 age that will be going to US college, so will pick them up possibly in 4-6 years time. They got Liam last year I think it was after 4 years in the US, he is local product and their youth league team is mostly local talent. Further to that their men's D1 Big V team has no imports at all, mostly local talent, and this only the men's group.

Reply #534015 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Brad Rathgen 16,Kane Dewitt 18 and Mony M? 18 getting court time at Mount but limited as you would expect for young developing talent. Great futures all of them. As they develop they will probably move on.
Basketball is about development not about where they play. Other clubs, other cities, college, AIS,
or not good enough for SEABL or higher. There is no club that would not love to have their local juniors represent them at the highest level. Just
doesn't often work out.

Reply #534017 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Pioneers turnaround seems to coincide with the arrival of Richard Hill. Is it just that, or is there more to it? Did the club increase their budget to attract players? Or was it more efficient to get guys like Hill before an import?

Reply #534020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say Richo is a huge part of their success. Championships seem to follow him at every coaching stop he has had. Builds a great culture and gets the best out of every player.

I also believe their board did some fantastic work behind the scenes to get the club in a very stable financial position, so kudos to them as well. With out that, they wouldnt be able to put the team they have on the court.

Seems like the club has a great future with both Hilly and their current management.

Reply #534028 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Players don't always go where the money is. Anyone who knows SEABL and Mount Gambier know its not about the money.

Reply #534039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aonon #015 the Supercats also developed the Varley brothers out of their youth league program last year, plenty of local talent being produced in their program. Not about the money their either I assure you anon^, they are both just very well run organisations, like most SEABL teams.

Reply #534042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think the basketball community truly appreciates how good the SEABL league is. Many leagues in europe that are 75% professional rosters arent as good or just as strong as SEABL.
Its a professional standard league. Not every junior is going to be able to play that standard. Its nit a case of clubs not playing home grown talent, its a very high quality league that some kids who play state teams will not be able to ever cut it at.

Reply #534043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true, a high quality league on and off the court, until you get to the media and promotions part. Where is SEABL TV? What's going on with BA and its involvement in SEABL? Where is it heading??????

I know this is off topic, but it is not clear to me where the future of SEABL is going.

Reply #534044 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

A league where Herbert,Conn & Crosswell still score easily is hardly high quality...Thanks for the laugh!

Reply #534048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All three were/are nbl players. Forget our top tier league only has 8 teams and isnt known for its roster turnover.
If league consistently had 12 to 14 teams you would see more top seabl players playing nbl. If you dont think they are good players you have no idea.

Reply #534051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Thunder Jam, please put your head back in that sand bucket!

Reply #534054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbert could have kept playing and could still play NBL.

Conn might be a touch slow but he could still be a back up in the NBL and compete on a nightly basis if anything he'd be just as good as Jervis so often helps to land on the right roster/situation.

Reply #534057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunder Jam = FigJam

Reply #534059 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'039, what else is Mount Gambier doing? It's not a horrible town but it's not a destination either. Are they doing more to provide off-court (accommodation, employment, etc) for players?

That would seem sensible.

Reply #534063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every time we go down it seems like the players get looked after, pretty sure they aren't paying for a meal in town, plus for fringe NBL guys great place to work on your game without other distractions and in supportive environent

Reply #534069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree its not always about money. Players look at more than just money like any other "job". There would be many factors. Livability of the place, coaching, team environment and relationship with other players, relationships with others in town, employment opportunities outside of basketball, assistance provided to improve individual game, accommodation, culture, importance of winning, just to name a few!

It might be that some clubs do things better than others rather simply stumping up bigger amounts of cash, or it maybe that his how those without the cash availability can keep pace with or perhaps even out do those clubs with the cash.

Reply #534215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and they keep on keeping on with another w, this time over Bendigo. Their defence is ridiculously good. Tony Lewis held to 2 points in the first half and 7 for the game. He only had four but hit a three in junk time. D Johnson for the Pioneers led them in every stat category except for blocks! and this would be the first game of the year he hasnt lead the team in block shots! He should be leading the MVP vote at the moment but im sure he wont be because all that is looked at is how many points you score!

Reply #534561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another good win way to go!!!

However starters play Mega Minutes, hope nobody gets injured or 'worn down'.

Coach Hillie would have no idea of the bench capabilities or in fact their names.

Reply #534583 | Report this post

Ballarat old boy  
Years ago

Anon 015

Liam McInerney is a product of Ballarat not a Geelong Junior .

Reply #534589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's your point Ballarat old boy? Owusu was born in Africa but until the opportunity at Geelong came along his development was no where near what it is today. Liam may have come from Ballarat originally but was coached locally at Geelong before college. Do you give Stetson any credit for his development or has he become the player he is today because of some under 10 Ballarat coach?

Next you will be telling us Kyrie Irvin is a product of the Melbourne Tigers!?

Reply #534593 | Report this post

Ballarat old boy  
Years ago

^
the post I responded to was about juniors coming through the ranks and staying on to play SEABL in their home towns, no point to be made , simply a fact, Liam come through Ballarat Juniors not Geelong.

Reply #534594 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anon I think coach Hilly he might know their names. Works with them day in and day out to improve their games.

Reply #534597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Liam is from timboon and played geelong juniors prior to ballarat and then Kilsyth before returning to Geelong post Stetson

Reply #534614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now being critised for not using the bench, at least there are 5 on the court who are all involved and contribute seems to be working, compared with those that spend mega money on 2 players and think that will win championships. The
Other teams are forced to use the bench trying to come up with 3
Players who can pass it to their studs and then watch them. Most of the competition is far to predictable, unlike the neers and it seems to be working.

Perhaps if you are unsure if hilly knows who the bench are should have been at the ice house at 6am most mornings for the last 7 months.... Probably wouldn't be asking the question then.

Reply #534638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754