Anon
Years ago

Ringwood SCM Suspension

Heard one of the players on the Ringwood SCM team was possibly suspended? Something from domestic level? Can anyone confirm this... Was it an import??

Topic #37326 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will more than likely be kept under wraps like the Mildura coach currently serving a 4 game suspension and Calvin Henry situation being suspended in the last game of the playoffs last season vs LaTrobe.

Big V hide these things all the time.

Reply #534267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big v usually always come out and post a comment about any suspension

Reply #534273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there "star" players/imports are involved it'll get swept under a rug

Reply #534275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty poor by big v

http://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/story/3148358/heat-on-coach/

http://www.milduraindependent.com/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1352:basketball-shock-heat-coach-to-face-nine-charges-at-basketball-victoria-tribunal-hearing&catid=28&Itemid=593

http://www.easymix.com.au/news/49418-madigan-out-for-three-weeks

Reply #534276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another example of Big V being a Bush League, Madigan is a great guy, but this is another example of referees losing control of a game and coach/players suffering.

Fair and squarely the blame must fall on Referee Boss Alan Garroway and CEO Julie Anderson.

Reply #534277 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sounds like he got the hamburger with the lot!!!

Reply #534278 | Report this post

random  
Years ago

he got what was coming to him been doing it all season

Reply #534280 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So let me follow this, because Madigan is a "great guy" the referees must have lost control and ruined the game?

Reply #534281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can understand his frustration seeing who one of the refs was. Terrible communicator and arrogant to every coach every game he refs

Reply #534282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I mean is he is respectful to those who officiate the game but due to the continual very poor standard of the refs this season, enough was enough and blew his top. Plus agree Jordan B thinks the sun shines out his arse.

Hence my comment Alan Garroway and Julie Anderson should stand down from their positions.

Reply #534284 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

How much control do those guys have over the quality of referees they actually get?

I was at a SEABL double header recently where a referee did both men's and women's games and was told it is not uncommon in 2015. Apparently it is happening in BigV all the time.

That points to a lack of quantity, which would also result in a lack of quality.

is that really in the control of a CEO who has been in the chair for a year or so?

Reply #534285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it is her role. Alan Garroway needs to be made accountable for producing poor quality referee education to get these refs up to speed. He is being paid good money to do the role. He has been under performing for years and she should either give him a rocket or performance manage him out. She turns a blind eye to the boys club the VBRA is.

There are referees doing 3-4 games per weekend which again is squarely again the fault of Big V for allowing too many teams in the competition when not having enough quality resources to make it a quality league.

Reply #534287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigV CEO is away in holidays apparently.

There has been some serious questions raised about Referee welfare including doing double games not only the same night but next day, traveling long distances on saturday and backing it up again with a road trip on a sunday and general lack of attention to rostering.

The problem is now becoming dire.

Reply #534289 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Hate to bag a ref as I know it's a tough job, but Jordan B will be at the bottom of every reffing 'scandal' in a league.

Calls the game poorly and get's off at teching people. Huge number of ejections. Definitely the kind of bloke that makes the game about himself. PPPAAIINNFULLL to watch

Reply #534290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is even a ref doing D2 womens games that his sister plays in the comp.

Reply #534291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not turn this into a personal swipe at Referee's and individuals.

They have a difficult job and will always make a few mistakes, you just have to learn to live with it.

Regardless of how you see their officiating there is never an excuse for poor behavior.

Reply #534292 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

That was not my question - i asked if the situation was really in her control.

The CEO has been in the role around 12 mths? Huge shortages of refs are things that occur over many years. You might be able to blame the refs manager in part, but this cannot just be the BigV's fault and i think its rough to blame someone and expect them to resign over a problem that has probably been 3-5 years in the making and they have been there just 12-18 mths.

And is it just the BigV's fault? Are too many referees generally "over it" because of the commitments generally for the sport - how many refs are used on friday nights at 80 or more VJBL championship games? is the VJBL too big and thus affecting BigV? What has been the impact of three man officiating in SEABL? Is domestic basketball draining the pool? Are all associations pulling their weight and contributing?

Its easy to blame two people (one of whom has been there a long time and I agree should provide some answers) but there are a lot of other factors at play i would think. Its not just a BIG V problem - what responsibility should others share?

Reply #534293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, all of the above.

The leagues have expanded at a greater rate than they can attract, retain and develop officials.

It is not the officials fault. We need to get off their case and accept there is an issue and cut them some grace.

The issue lies over a multitude of areas and all collaboratively need to accept it and work to a resolution.

I know of at least 4 officials that have left home at 1pm on a saturday and got home 8 or 9pm sunday night after doing back to back saturday and sunday country games 2/3 or 4) all for a few hundred dollars.

No wonder they are burnt out and jaded.

Reply #534297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problems lies back prior to the current CEO taking over. Previous administrators allowed too many teams in and the infrastructure (refereeing resources) could not cope with the demand. When you have over 1100 games in a season that is a lot of ref spots to fill. The VBRA do not have the quantity or quality of referees to service the league. Add in as HO states the senior part of the panel (Panels 1,2 &3) are split with the SEABL and all of a sudden the quality depth disappears and disappears in a hurry. Until more resources are thrown at referees for education, travel, retention and recruitment it is going to continue in the same vain.

And his name is Garraway. If your going to bag the man get his name right. He can only work with the pool of referees and the resources he is given... both unfortunately arent at the required standard to support the size of the current structure of the Big V.

Reply #534300 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

How many referees would do both VJBL and BigV?

Reply #534301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there are 6 panels of referees and there are referees on panel 3 who still do juniors... so id say over 2/3rds of the pool do friday nights also. So 3 games friday, a weekend of back to backs and some are doing 7 games in 3 days..... not good from am OH & S perspective

Reply #534303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe all clubs / associations have to commit to providing 1 competent ref per 2 teams they have in Big V ? No refs should mean no teams for a club. Can all clubs deliver quality refs ?

Reply #534315 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Speaking with some of them, they make some good cash over weekends by officiating these games, if a referee does 7 games between Friday night and Sunday night they would be loving it and counting their cash, not worrying about OH&S...

Reply #534317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V definitely sweep things under the rug and don't want their limited quality to be lowered by any means. Including a suspension from Domestic levels. I would be surprised if the Big V didn't over rule the suspension from Domestic games and allowed the player to play in Big V only. League is a joke!!

Reply #534318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alot of coaches are players that have been in the league along time are becoming very disillusioned with the gap between the standard of officiating week to week. Last year we saw an introduction of calling every bit of contact to this year all but dissapearing some weeks. The coaches get forms to evaluate the refs but most have given up even filling them out as they feel they fall on deaf ears.

Reply #534319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Legally questionable.)

Reply #534323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cannot think of 1 positive game changing thing Julie Anderson has done since she has been CEO. 12mths is well and truly enough time to stamp your mark.

She has failed. Make a change.

Reply #534324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets be fair here, I think the Frankston CEO would run a close 2nd to DG at Dandy.

Reply #534327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance Dandy CEO owns the award and to be really honest in the coming months could have the trophy named after him.

Frankston CEO will come good, has made some great headway past 12 months. SEABL season to forget this year but Mens team will be back with vengeance next year. Junior program will improve over next 2-3 years when they attract some decent coaches to keep kids and families around.

Dandy SEABL program made look good by Anderson and Perry's players wanting to play for them. If the CEO was at all involved it would be a ghost house.

Disagree Frankston CEO is in this category, life member DG still owns the mantle.

Reply #534330 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How much do referees get paid to ref a Big V game and why dont they put up the penalties on the website?

Reply #534331 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

HD, it does seem strange that they don't report on tribunals and etc involving their own league - fair enough that they don't report on domestic tribunals.

Reply #534332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason they don't put report on these things is because they are not transparent.

Reply #534333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just as u transparent as the Referee rankings now. That system has gone massively backwards this year with zero transparency or accountability now.

Reply #534337 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Some of our senior leagues put that information up on their website.To be honest nobody blinks an eyelid at it these days.Across our 3 senior leagues including reserves and under 19's we would get on an average of two charges a week and most take set penalities.The tribunal only convenes every 2 or 3 weeks and there all independant.

Reply #534342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is transparency if your related...

Reply #534343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is exactly right.. In right group of friends

Reply #534344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What gets me is because there aren't many refs they can ref like shit every game they have and there are no consequences, they just move on to next week

Reply #534348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ignorant comment.

Nobody sets out to officiate poorly but there are different standards and levels of officials just like there are standards of divisions.

From what I've seen of BigV you get about the same level of officiating as there is standard of game...

You won't get NBL std refs on D2 etc.

Reply #534349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The facts are, in the Big V in 2005 there were 9 divisions and 91 teams.

In the Big V in 2015 there are 12 divisions and 134 teams. That's an increase in number of divisions by 33%, and an increase in number of teams by 47%.

Reply #534352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, that's a huge increase. In the same time SEABL has gone from 2 person to 3 person officiating on both men and women's games.

It's easy to see why resources are stretched.

Reply #534353 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Catch - 22 at play here.

Not enough ref's so they can do what they want or not enough ref's because they don't have incentive to continue under poor conditions and treatment therefore we are left with those that will stick it out!

Don't forget that the sport, like all others, needs officials...

Reply #534356 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Further, in a growing competition, it takes time to develop better officials, we appear to be in a growth pattern now, so we need to give referees time and room to develop (To catch up with their numbers)...

Reply #534357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the later I can assure you.

Nobody goes to work wanting to do a bad job.

The other point I'd make is the standard of competition does at times make it hard to officiate given how scrappy it is, sometimes higher standard games are cleaner and easier to officiate.

Reply #534358 | Report this post

Bush League  
Years ago

Bush League

Reply #534365 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"Bush League"

helpful. added a lot.

Reply #534366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On referee development can someone explain to me how the VBRA Senior panel rankings will work this year?

I remember a time not that long ago panel rankings were published along with your numerical score from evaluations, no hiding, everyone knew where there were, total transparency.

We seem to have completely thrown out any form of hard measurable evaluation system, so how on earth those rankings and finals appointments are made for SEABL and BigV at seasons end is beyond me.

ZERO transparency and totally at the "discretion" of the leagues.

Reply #534367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did this end up in the Ringwood thread??

"Frankston CEO will come good, has made some great headway past 12 months. SEABL season to forget this year but Mens team will be back with vengeance next year. Junior program will improve over next 2-3 years when they attract some decent coaches to keep kids and families around."

Reply #534410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure, but its obviously written by a family member!

Reply #534418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know of coaches who have followed the Big V guidelines/advice in submitting concerns about referee's standards etc only to be told by the administration they will get the Referee;s Director to contact them directly but still haven't had any contact or response.

Not sure what is failing here but it is disappointing to hear.

Reply #534431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact ^^^ is true. I have never seen Alan at a Big V game in my 10 plus years involved in the league. no doubt he sits at home with his granny blanket on his knees rocking in front of the fire only coming out for Nationals to stroke his ego.

On ya bike Alan.

Reply #534432 | Report this post

puig  
Years ago

Send the CEO on her way.

This is just another case of her getting involved in things that do not concern her.

Create a mess then goes overseas on a holiday? I'm sorry but there is plenty of time to go on a holiday during the Big V off season, not a few week from finals starting!!

Reply #534435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of curiosity how can the CEO get away with going on holdays mid season?!

Reply #534477 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

To Anon 432.

I'm neither a Garraway fan or otherwise, I've been involved in Big V for about 10 years in one way or other and I've seen him at a very good number of games. At an educated guess at least 2 or 3 a year.

Just because you haven't seen him doesn't mean 'for a fact' that he has never been to a game. Your representative sample of one is not a great statistic to go on.

Reply #534500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of crap being talked, is anyone going to post who Ringwood might might not have at their disposal or what ???

Reply #534511 | Report this post

lo 57  
Years ago

Former Referee here.

Refs dropping out all the time due to rostering concerns.

I my self have been rostered to a mildura double header on a saturday night and then Werribee on a sunday. worst weekend ever.

Forgot a social life.

Garraway spends alot of time at games over a weekend, and video evaluates many games that are sent out during the week.
the log jam at the top of the panels makes it tough to pull yourself into games every weekend, knowing you may be stuck reffing D2 or D1 for a long time until someone else retires and theres an opening

Reply #534725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the big v CEO on a fixed term contract or permanent ongoing employment?

I would think that surely the members of the league are entitled to know, given the members technically own the league

Reply #534942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754