Indominous-Rex
Years ago

Sydney Kings Sign Steve Markovic

http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/eefdmsu3bpx01lof22sxr3kn7

Great pickup, exactly what this kings team needed last year. Also heard that chill is talking to the kings about his contract too.
Welcome Steve

Topic #37355 | Report this topic

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Here's how I think the team should/will go

PG: Markovic/Cadee
SG: Import/Young Aussie Guard
SF: Chill/ ? don't know yet
PF: Garlepp/Ellis
C: Khazzouh/Brandt

Reply #534919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markovic is likely better then Cadee at this point, although Cadee may be better off running the second unit where he can look to score more without having to get JChill and the other import involved as often.

Reply #534925 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm all for going with an Aussie PG - too much of a risk to pick a rookie import at the position, and probably too expensive to grab a veteran at the spot if we hope to re-sign Childress.

I think a Childress/Khazzouh frontcourt would be just about the only way to make Garlepp at the 4 work. For all his scoring - and he's really improved in that area - he is just too weak on the boards at the 4 spot if we don't have a 5 and 3 who hit the glass.

Reply #534940 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Very true AngusH. Childress was alone on the boards last year with none of the 4/5s in the team having any impact on the glass.

Reply #534945 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Nice work Kings.

Childress is currently in Sydney apparently.

Here is a stupid question; if the Josh Childress foundation is set up as a registered Austraian NGO and Josh is made the CEO or MD or whatever and paid $100K by some donor who is a Kings supporter would that be against the rules?

Reply #534955 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

PG: Markovic/Cadee
SG: Rotnei Clarke/SOJ
SF: Chill/ Brad Hill
PF: Garlepp/Ellis
C: Khazzouh/Brandt

A line up like this would be achievable and decent.

Reply #534962 | Report this post

Dman  
Years ago

Good luck sydney, Markovic will have one eye on the court and one eye on opportunities for retirement! Injury prone and "my way or the highway" type of guy.

Reply #534971 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Like how the Kings have built. Very hard to see a lot separating a lot of the teams again next season. Markovic may simply need a change of scenery to start producing again.

Reply #534982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fstos, nice lineup accept for SOJ, would much rather have Jason Freshwater out of the waratah league over him. Also any one else who plays in SEABL

Reply #534992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here is a stupid question; if the Josh Childress foundation is set up as a registered Austraian NGO and Josh is made the CEO or MD or whatever and paid $100K by some donor who is a Kings supporter would that be against the rules?
Yes, that would likely be against the rules. But for the sake of Childress in the league, I can imagine the NBL turning a blind eye or finding another way to permit it.

I think Kevin Brooks was at some point paid by Coca Cola when playing for the Kings? Was that the story?

Reply #535000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid pick up. Even if Chill isn't back Sydney will probably be better this year imo.

Reply #535016 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wow that's a big signing, well done to the Kings for smartening up about rookie imports playing the point.

If they get Rotnei and with the talent and Illawarra and Melbourne and the confidence in NZ... I think my Wildcats may struggle to make the playoffs...

Whilst we are on the Wildcats, if Wagstaff leaves can the Wildcats make a play for Cosy Ellis or is his contract over at the end of next season?

Duinker looks to be on the outer according to everyone

Reply #535019 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I've been on the record for a long time saying that this was a great idea^ and that we needed an experienced floor leader instead a kid fresh out of school, so this is a good get (since Gibbo re-signed) which should be at an affordable price to free up a bit more cash to splash on an import SG and Chill (hopefully) not to mention paying for Jules as well...

... paid $100K by some donor who is a Kings supporter would that be against the rules?

I seem to recall at least in the past, that all money earned, even if not basketball related, was subject to the cap? However, with how the marquee rule is set up, with only $150K needing to go against the cap, surely they can find specific sponsors to pay just for him in a completely legit way?

@fstos - I dig your line up, and before this signing, thought Clarke was the better option over Lisch (if I was to be super greedy!) as he always dazzled me with his ability to make the Hawks better and get it to the open shooter as well as being able to take everything on his shoulders and to win games just by himself...

If it means getting Clarke (or Lisch - still holding out some sort of hope!) then I'm ok with SOJ, he's at least not shy to shoot... I'd MUCH rather Mitch McCarron though...

^ - if he can stay healthy

Reply #535027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Cadee will still be given the start as Markovic will be cotton wooled a fair bit this season with minutes. If he is healthy a good signing.

Reply #535058 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754