RMQ
Years ago

Jermaine Beal contract situation with the wildcats

Can anyone explain the the wildcats latest instagram post which reads:

"it's July 3, which is after July 1, with means jermaine beal will officially remain a wildcats this season"

Was there some clause that he wouldn't be a wildcat for a particular reason?

I imagine he might have had an out clause to sign with an overseas team before July 1?

Topic #37389 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Never mind - worked out he had until July 1 to opt-out.

Reply #535452 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jermaine Beal is a great import, and I dare say underrated in this league.

Reply #535453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think before posting RMQ

Reply #535460 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He had a buy-out clause. Meaning he (or more likely a team in a more lucrative league) could buy his contract.

Reply #535478 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If he is agressive and attacks the basket, then he is a quality import but if he relies solely on his jump shot then he can be an average import!

Play aggressive Dolla and stay as long as you like mate... Heck you can even naturalise in a season or two

Reply #535481 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

I guess with Beal's position being confirmed we should expect to see Lisch signing with another club becoming official shortly.

Reply #535656 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

@Proud - He was more effective in his first year because of the attention Ennis needed. Because DeAndre wasn't as much a threat times double teamed Beal.

Neal's success will depend on how good our other import is.

That said. he is still a quality import and I'd take him over Lisch.

Reply #535726 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

Lish is hands down better than Beal, wildcats would be much better off to cut Beal.

Reply #535770 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Lish is hands down better than Beal, wildcats would be much better off to cut Beal.

I loved Lisch and was sad to see him go, but its a pointless debate. Beal is contracted and not going anywhere, Lisch will follow Bevo to the Hawks,

Reply #535810 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Beal doesn't and didn't get doubled RMQ. He isn't that good in any aspects of his game to draw a double. Knight last year probably the only Cats player to have that attention at times when he backed weaker players or poor defenders down.

Reply #535811 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, must have got that GF-MVP award from a Wheaties pack.

Reply #535825 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

And produced no where close to that form last season, which was what we were discussing.

Still think that GF form was an outlier at the right time than a true indication of his ability if you want to go there.

Reply #535840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Beal doesn't and didn't get doubled RMQ. He isn't that good in any aspects of his game to draw a double. "

What? He was always doubled (trapped, I suppose) off the screens last season. You must be thinking of Daniels that didn't warrant a double at any stage.

Wildcats offence stagnated so much last season because of the double to the ball carrier, and also the ball stopping when it reached Daniels.

Reply #535845 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And produced no where close to that form last season,

He increased his points from 15.6 to 16.4, and won the Cats' MVP, so there goes that theory...

Still think that GF form was an outlier at the right time than a true indication of his ability

So producing his best form of the year, right when its needed most, in the toughest games of the year, is an "outlier"??? FMD some people are never happy.

Reply #535850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dazz, pretty sure he said didn't produce anywhere near his GF MVP form (ie form in the grand final), so I think the theory's back in play.

Reply #535851 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Beal's best performances came when he was not the focus of the defence. IMO Ennis didn't get enough credit for how much attention he drew even when he was not scoring directly.

Beal's efficiency dropped noticeably last season as he had to create and at times force things himself a lot more than the previous season.
His points per game may have been marginally up last season but I would bet you his shooting percentage was significantly down.

Reply #535853 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Here we go:
2014: 15.6 PPG @ 42.0% (43.3 3P%), 3.4 ast, 0.5 stl, 2.0 t/o
2015: 16.4 PPG @ 37.3% (33.5 3P%), 2.6 ast, 0.6 stl, 1.6 t/o

I know which version I prefer.

Reply #535859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not just the Ennis factor. Martin was in a scoring slump last season. Too scared to shoot the open shot last year, and too often Beal was left to bail out the team with a forced shot at the end of the 24. Maybe he isn't good enough to the go to guy on a team but the Cats didn't do much with Lisch as the sole scoring option either.

Reply #535867 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Absolutely. Not blaming Beal for being less efficient with the much bigger role to play, and yes Lisch also struggled at times to be 'the man' in a stagnant offence. (I'd love to have seen what Lisch could have done as Ennis's sidekick)

I don't know that Martin was in a scoring slump last season. To me he has never been good around the rim and I'd be generous in describing his outside shooting as streaky. He has shot > 33% from 3 point range in only 2 seasons. (it sticks out dramatically that one of those seasons he went 49%. That's just bizarre). His 31% last season doesn't look that slumpy next to his career 32%.

Reply #535869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, by scoring slump I didn't mean just the numbers he put up. He went through a spell where he just refused to shoot the ball - open threes, open layups etc. Makes it a hell of a lot easier for the D (and much harder for Beal) if they know they dont have to cover a scoring option.

Reply #535874 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I watched virtually every NBL game last year. No doubt teams may have trapped Beal when he used the high ball screen. Plenty of teams do that on a regular basis. There could be two or more reasons for them doing so on Beal.

1) He is a great player who will destroy you off the pick and roll

or

2) His ball handling and decision making are not so good so you can stagnate the offence by trapping him.

IMO option 2 is the more likely.

I have watched NBL for many years and base my opinion more on the eye test than anything.

I don't think he is a bad import but at best on last years form rate him in the middle of the road. I just think Perth with their resources could and indeed need to do better at that spot.

Time will tell.

Reply #535916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3) They can throw a double at Beal, knowing that if he does dish it off, its going to go to someone who is not an offensive threat.

So yes, its to stagnate the offence but its because Beal was the only one who was dangerous last season. Its the exact same thing that happened with Lisch when he was the only one on Wildcats teams who could create his own shot.

Reply #535922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754