Indominous-Rex
Years ago

SEABL VS NZNBL, Which is Better?

Hey guys I don't really know to much about those leagues and I was wondering which league was better talent wise. So not business, but just which league has better players and coaches

Topic #37407 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL by the length of the Nile River!

Reply #535883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ by the length of the Nile River.
There are numerous NBL players on each team. The quality of Imports is far superior to that of SEABL..

How many ex NBA players are playing SEABL?

Reply #535888 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

NZNBL by a fair bit. Talent level is superior. Not many NBL MVP's come from SEABL.

Reply #535893 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

SEABL has more teams so talent is bit more spread out. NZ NBL get some more bigger names so that prob puts them over the top.. Don't think the difference is too great though.

Reply #535897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty bad seabl this season tbh.
Worst in a long time. Overall seabl is superior however.

Reply #535901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see a Trans-Tasman SEABL v NZNBL title match between the two top teams at the end of the finals series. A best of 3 game series with TV coverage on Foxtel and massive support from B.A and N.Z.B.L.

Then we could have bragging rights!

Reply #535909 | Report this post

What an awesome idea - netball have the Trans-Tasman would be an awesome thing I reckon.

Reply #535917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They cant afford to have nationals anymore let alone NZ involvement.

Reply #535920 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Southland Sharks & Wellington Saints who just played each other in the NZNBL final feature the following players (starting 5 first, bench follows).

Sharks

D.Bailey (Breakers)
T.Blanchfield (Sydney King)
K.Braswell (former Breaker)
A.Majstrovich (former Wildcat & Sixer)
T.Wesley (Breakers)

S.Illi (Breakers Development Player)
R.Smolenski
S.Everitt
J.Paringatai
A.Murphey
J.Wheeler
M.Newton

Saints

L.Tait (Former Hawk)
B.Polyblank
D.Prewster (Former Breakers Development Player)
L.Henry (Crocs)
D.Johnson (Sixers)

T.Craig (Taipans)
D.Ekenasio
I.Mauriohooho
J.Mills
H.Quinlivan
J.Mikaiio
N.Horvath (Former Sixer & Duke Blue Devil)

How many SEABL teams boast that level on talent? Last seasons Wollongong Hawks team would have struggled to beat either of these teams consistently.

Reply #535929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Spectres have Conn, Ballinger, McDonald, O'Hea and an import. Pretty good IMO. Old current and experienced. Well coached too.

Reply #535931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Mystro you forget that a team of champions will lose to a champion team!

Some SEABL teams just play well together, therefore you can boast about all the ex-NBL players you want, but your NZBL team will still lose.

Reply #535938 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ex, most of them are current players of elite NBL calibre and most teams have a few each.
Yes chemistry will take a team far, I won't argue that but talent will also get you a ton of wins.

Reply #535939 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NZ NBL isn't a chemistry free zone! It's not like they just have good players out there playing street ball!

Reply #535942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nznbl by a mile. How would Conklin and Craig go in seabl?

Reply #535948 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Might be worth remembering that the seabl got smacked by qbl teams the last time there was a national championship...seabl despite it's promotion is not necessarily the be all and end all of second division leagues

Reply #535952 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

despite its promotion? SEABL media under BA is a disaster

Reply #535961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last national championships, when 1947? Lot changed since then and SEABL is going from strength to strength. Bring on a cross Tasman game, would love to see it!

Reply #535968 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"SEABL media under BA is a disaster"

I disagree, the quality of the output, Roy Ward's stuff is much better. There may be less of it, and I know some people don't like the video stuff disappearing, but when you are playing to a tiny (minute) audience it makes sense to kill it.

As for the league, I cannot comment on the quality of the NZNBL but I have offered the view here previously that the SEABL is not really serving a purpose anymore.

It is meant to be a second tier league, but very few players in the men's competition are stepping up out of SEABL recently into NBL but ten years ago none of them went to NZ for a season, and it seems now quite a few are.

I agree with #535968, a lot has changed since the last national champs. The BigV has declined badly, the SA league and Waratah seem to have become irrelevant, the QBL has maintained a good level, and the SEABL has fallen away somewhat.

Reply #535975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players go to a league for one of two reasons, perhaps both reasons but mainly for opportunity and money. Which league pays more, SEABL or NZNBL?

Reply #535976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If SEABL is not on video people lose interest, not many people will travel over an hour to see a SEABL game but if they could watch it on video the interest will remain.

Reply #535994 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

While I am not convinced that argument is in any way correct, I should have been clearer, I meant their video shows, not their live coverage.

Reply #536004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gambier

Daly
Burdon
Hill
Johnson
Lee

Pretty solid line up there. Would love to see them face up against the NZ mob

Reply #536006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't make Top Four in NZNBL. Mika Vukona, Reuben Te Rangi etc all play NZNBL. Conklin played NZNBL. And Torrey Craig played this year. They would destroy SEABL.

Reply #536035 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If they all played in the same team anon^, is that likely?

It would be like say, listing all of the best SEABL U.S. imports and saying geeze this mod would defeat the NZBL mid week special Kiwi pink lady's team no problems at all!

:)

Reply #536041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on, SEABL has two conference with 7 teams in each and the COE making up an extra team to equal 8 in one conference (but I won't even count them).

So, SEABL has 14 teams from several four States, dominated by Victoria but with potential to grow.

NXBL has one conference for all of the Country and has 8 teams (I am talking men only at this stage).

So, to answer the question, which is better, well there is no doubt is there?

SEABL has double the competition, therefore spreads the talent further, what are you Kiwis on about?????

Reply #536191 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I think by that logic the BigV Championship Bush League is better than the NBA... I think...

Reply #536193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time I looked the NBA had 30 teams in two conferences, how is that inferior in any way to the Big V with half the amount of teams, ha ha

Reply #536208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everard Bartlett who plays for Ballarat has just been selected in the short list for the NZ National side- has only averaged 12.3 ppg & 3.9 rpg
with over 35min pg.- Seabl standard cant be to bad.

Reply #536771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754