kr
Years ago

Will Marcel Jones be on an nbl team?

I have to admit I know next to nothing about Marcel Jones, but noticed he was on the Pick and Roll free agents list. Would he be a good pick up for an nbl team 6 8" naturalised (nz) american, seems like a versatile 3/4 forward with experience in italy and Turkey.

Noticed he has moved teams a bit so not sure if there is an issue there or not. But there are not that many athletic experienced aussies to go around.

Replacement for Blanchfield at Crocs perhaps? Thoughts!

Topic #37422 | Report this topic

Dman  
Years ago

Crocs coach already in NZ checking out imports in the NZNBL finals. Could be an option. Conklin will re-sign with Crocs, so will Schenscher, and they will pick up a Pg/Sg(Mckenzie Moore?) to partner Norton with Djeric on rotation.

Reply #536119 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From watching him play in Europe and NZ I suspect he's a bench player in the NBL, the defensive side of things isn't great, and with the Crocs having Steindl and Henry to share the SF minutes I'm not sure Jones is a priority.

If the NBL adds some clubs next year I could definitely see Jones finding a home, providing he doesn't price himself out of the market.

Conklin/Schenscher
Young/Kay
Steindl/Henry
Moore/Djeric
Norton/Maynard

If Moore shoots more like his college days than he did in NZ then that team has some nice balance, even if light on star power. If the Crocs can defend better than last years they can be very competitive, but if not it could be a long year trying to score against packed defences.

Reply #536149 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Moore looks like he could be a great fit with his length and ability to create his own shot and finish. Crocs definately lacked someone that could create something out of nothing last year.

Paul that looks like a solid young team but you are right lacks Aussie fire power, will depend a lot on what Kay, young and Schensh bring. Conklin needs scoring help from the bigs for sure. Though there would have to be more potential for points from Kay, young and Schensh than Vandy, Holmes and Gladness one would think.

Can't imagine Conklin starting at the 5 though Paul, wouldn't that be Schensher backed up by Kay?

Reply #536167 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

Marcel Jones does quite a few things pretty well (except FT's). Not great but solid. Is he NBL quality? For sure, but with an 8pt rating I don't think any team would choose him over the established small forwards in the league.

With his resume and skill set, there's a pretty good argument to be made that he would contribute at level equal to or better than many of the starting small forwards in the league from last year-- Barlow, Weigh, Coenraad, Teys or Creek, and Steindl for example.

I think it would be a good thing to get the naturalised players like this in the league. Raises the overall standard. Expansion can't happen soon enough.

Reply #536216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcel is a good player. Can't shoot free throws to save his life but can play inside and out and can rebound. Only thing though is a bit hoggy for the Australian League. His points rating is another reason why I don't like the points cap.

Reply #536217 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Maybe the crocs could push Steindl to sg (he and Blanchfield started at 2 and 3 last year so not a big change) and bring Jones in at 3 to add more size and scoring.

Norton, Maynard, Djeric, young, Henry and Kay would all be low point players so points shouldn't be an issue.

Schenscher / Kay
Conklin / Young
M Jones / Henry
Moore / Steindl
Norton / Maynard or Djeric

Reply #536220 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Would love to see Jones given a shot in the NBL, would be interested to see what he can do.

His points rating of 8 is a bit high for someone who has never played NBL, hopefully someone still gives him a go at some stage, especially given he isnt a import.

Is Moore a similar player to Josh Pace? Who i thought was decent enough in his NBL stint with the Crocs,

Reply #536222 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Jonno from the YouTube clips Moore looks a bit like a slower Dante Exum, 6 6" pg or combo guard, good at beating his man and getting to the rim with ok 3 point shot. Not that I have seen him play.
Pace liked to post up smaller guards and use floaters etc, very different game Imo, although both biggish guards.

Reply #536224 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

kr, I just think Luke's body is beyond playing big minutes, but he can have a big impact in bursts with his passing game. He could start and come out relatively quickly, but it won't really matter, Dennis will mix up his combos throughout the game to get different looks.

The people who mentioned Jones' points rating being too high are spot on, although few teams have any issues with the cap the way it is now - a toothless tiger.

He is a decent offensive talent, and an NBL-level player, but his laziness at the other end caught him out in Italy, and for that reason NBL teams might be reluctant to give him significant minutes too, more as a impact off the bench.

Perhaps he might be a good fit for Wollongong if not too expensive? The shooters around him could make him hard to guard.

I wonder whether he'd play for that sort of money though, given he had an import job in Turkey Div 2 last season and put up some good numbers.

Reply #536238 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754