Josh
Years ago

Majok Majok joins United

Born in South Sudan, Majok moved to Perth with his family as a boy, spent six years in the United States at high school and college, and just completed his first pro season in Europe.

But the exciting and athletic 206cm centre is bringing his game and enormous potential back to Australia, and not without a grand welcome.

Majok, who was today presented with his new Melbourne jersey in front of the Sudanese community at their National Basketball Festival was also joined by NBA super-star Luol Deng.
Announcement

Topic #37436 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

I wonder if this is the same Majok that started his basketball career at the East Perth Eagles. I played with him and another Sudanese player named Arol - who said that Luol was his uncle.

It all kinda makes sense now!

Reply #536353 | Report this post

IKMTB  
Years ago

Hopefully he will be a solid ambassador for the Helping Hoops program which is run in Melbourne.

Reply #536356 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Had a great few years at Ball State in NCAA Div 1 before playing solidly as an import for Helios in an improving Slovenian national league last season.

Reply #536357 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

How good is he? What can we expect?

Reply #536365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn43bjU-X0g

Reply #536369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqO-AtI-H9o

Reply #536370 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think this is great. We need to recognise the talent in the Sudanese/Australian community, and this is a step in the right direction.

Reply #536371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not recognise that it is the Australin/Sudanese community? Australia should come first if this is where they are living now.

Reply #536375 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

It's been almost 10 years since I remember playing with Majok. I think in another 10 years the NBL talent landscape will be much different with all the Sudanese Australians playing.

Reply #536377 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I believe Frankston is claiming him as one of their own!!!

Reply #536379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he is Frankish Sudanese Aussie then?

Reply #536380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good pick up. Brings athleticism to the table.

Holt/Tomlinson
Goulding/odigie?
Blanchfield/Barlow
Kickert/Patton
Import?/majok

Reply #536385 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Ater Majok's cousin

Reply #536386 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Majok Majok played 15 games for East Perth in 2007, averaged 6.5 points and 5.1 rebounds. Moved to US in 2008 to attend Northfield Mount Hermon School

Reply #536393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a good signing. Majok basically averaged a double double during his two years at a D1 college. If he can rebound and provide a defensive presence inside then that should address some of United's deficiencies last season.

Reply #536394 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I believe Frankston is claiming him as one of their own!!!

How do they figure that?
He went to school here in Perth with my kids.

Reply #536395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a joke Dazz, albeit not a very funny one

Reply #536414 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

He wasn't born here, so sudanese- Australian is apt

Reply #536490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754