mystro
Years ago

Tall Blacks name 14 man squad to tour Europe

Tall Blacks Head Coach Paul Henare has name a 14 man squad to tour Europe leading up to the NZ-Aus Oceania Qualifying Series.

Prewster, Bailey & Ili first time Tall Blacks.

Thomas Abercrombie, Duane Bailey, Everard Bartlett, Isaac Fotu, Leon Henry, Shea Ili, Jarrod Kenny, Robert Loe, Dion Prewster, Lindsay Tait, Reuben Te Rangi, Mika Vukona, Corey Webster and Tai Wynyard.

I guess the team will look something like....

Tait/Kenney/Ili
C.Webster/Bartlett/Prewster
Abercrombie/Henry/TeRangi
Vukona/Fotu/Bailey
Loe/Wynyard

Topic #37445 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Solid squad. I'd expect Fotu to play quite a bit of C alongside Vukona. A lot of frontcourts will have troubles with that pairing. If Adams commits for Oceania they have a chance, albeit as clear underdogs.

Reply #536587 | Report this post

Sean  
Years ago

What a shame Kirk Penney's not available. A lot of pressure will be put on Corey Webster to carry the scoring load. Other then Isaac Fotu there's no on the bench they can go to for big minutes if the starters are struggling.

IMO Kirk Penney is more valuable then Adams just because he's a guy that can get you 30 and is a proven scorer at all levels.

Reply #536609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealands top 12 players can beat Australia but when missing a few of these players there is no talent to back it up

Reply #536614 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous, NZ top 12 can beat Australia's what? Our current squad? Our Sino- Aus C squad? You can't possibly mean our best 12, can you?

I don't think New Zealand has 12 players that could beat Delly, Mills, Exum, Broekhoff, Ingles, Baynes, Motum, Blanchfield/Newley, Bairstow, Bogut, Simmons, Goulding/ any other guy we have in the 12th spot.Once you get past the Kiwi starting 5, it is slim pickings indeed.

I grant you Webster, Abercrombie, Vukona, Pledger, Penney and Adams would make it interesting for a half, or maybe 3 quarters, but I highly doubt that the team would win a series against a full strength boomers.

Reply #536732 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The 'potential' team could have been very good.

Two positions are going to let us down - PG and C.

Add Cedric Jackson (wouldn't he be great) and Adams to that squad and you have nice balance and strength at each position.

PG is a really really big problem for us.

Let's be honest - Tait, Kenny, Ili rotation is laughable next to Delly, Mills, Gibson.

Reply #536750 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

A lot of talk of Cedric Jackson, but yet to see him natuarlise. Until he does, should he really be in the conversation?

Reply #536754 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the conversation is about the possibility of him naturalising, then yes.

Reply #536763 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If re-opening the 'Kyrie Irving' Pandora's Box hyperthetical naturalisation debate is also still on the table, then also yes... :)

Reply #536765 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

except Jackson has signed & commited long term to NZ and has publicly said he'd like to play international ball for the Tall Blacks Vs Kyrie Irvings continual "keeping my options open" statements closely followed by him accepting a roster spot for Team USA.

Reply #536775 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

There hasn't been a debate about Kyrie Irving for a few years now. The guy plays for the USA, so the case is closed, and I haven't heard anyone on this page bring him up as a possibility in a long time.

Reply #536779 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I heard he might be playing at Rod Laver this year...

Reply #536783 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Just read an article that sounds like Brock Motum is a bit vague about playing the Oceania series. By the time it's here it won't even be worth seeing. No Baynes, Ingles, and a question mark over Motum.

Reply #536785 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Now that we have seen both squads, who wins and by how much?

I am being conservative and saying Australia by 16 in game 1, and by 12 in game 2. But I do have a feeling it could easily burst out to a very ugly scoreline

Reply #537096 | Report this post

GW8  
Years ago

Australia has Dellavedova so we should win both games by at least 30

Reply #537101 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754