Anonymous
Years ago

Bill Woods article on Larry Kestleman

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/i-liked-the-league-so-much-i-bought-it/tabid/91/newsid/164417/default.aspx

Topic #37456 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wanted to take the piss out of the league so I bought it"

Reply #536805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go and hate somewhere else... Idiot

Reply #536806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate? What, calling it for what it is is hate? The new structure is no different from previous structures, with there being an owner running the league with his own agenda, except this one brought some cash along so its meant to all be ok? Give me a break.

If you can't see the issues of the current system, including the shenanigans of two clubs going in to VA (one of them being owned by a mate of LK) then you're obviously just blinded by the green being splashed around.

Reply #536808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait until United make their next import signing (a former NBA player), then tell me LK isn't completely taking the piss.

Reply #536810 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Sounding like an ignorant moron. I am sure the guy wants to make money from his investment, so I am sure he has no plans of the NBL going under just to prop up his own team. We've had a Perth centred league for the past few years, who cares if Melbourne U get a bit of a foot up?

Reply #536812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very intelligent, multimillionaire businessman (which I highly doubt you are) has invested $6 million of his own money to "take the piss".

You must be joking.

Let's see where this all eventuates. Only time will tell

Reply #536813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We've had a Perth centred league for the past few years, who cares if Melbourne U get a bit of a foot up?"

Sorry, who is the ignorant moron?

Reply #536817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" has invested $6 million of his own money to "take the piss"."

He has control of the league, at least three other owners are at his mercy for propping them up, owning a team and the league is the epitome of a conflict of interest, and now he is going to assemble a stacked roster, buy some championships and there isn't a thing that anyone can do about it. But this is the league that Boti told you all you wanted though!

Reply #536822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the alternative was to let it die and not have a 15/16 season?

At least someone is trying

Reply #536824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just worked out what your problem is. You are a former Melbourne Tigers supporter right?

Reply #536826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #536827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wait until United make their next import signing (a former NBA player), then tell me LK isn't completely taking the piss."

Boti is reporting United are chasing Diamon Simpson.

So, yeah, right a "former NBA player"

Reply #536828 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its an ego project. We've had rich owners in the league before. Simply having money doesn't make someone good for the league.

It will blow up when he loses interest or gets sick of how much money he's plowing in and not getting the insta results he is looking for.

Reply #536830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know Larry personally do you Cram?

Reply #536832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that when Marvin ran the NBL everything was ok. The only difference being then was that Marvin never put up his own money.
LK runs a company that funds the NBL afaik and technically it's not his money.
With the CBL looming it will be interesting to see where the NBL will be headed.

Reply #536833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We've had rich owners in the league before"

That have injected $6 million and have 51% stake in the League?

Who?

Reply #536834 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I've read plenty about him, seen his type before and, unfortunately see his vanity cars at work every day.

Reply #536835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you would rather the NBL be dead and buried right now then?

Reply #536836 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Rich owners whom people thought that were fine because "who else is putting their money in?" Eddy Groves, Tim Johnston. Egomaniacs like Seamus who controlled the league simply because they could.

It wont end well. You dont have to believe me. That wont make it end better though.

Reply #536837 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd rather start from scratch than to fall to the knees in front of a rich egomaniac

Reply #536838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you would rather the NBL be dead and buried right now then?

Reply #536839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram who is your NBL team that you support?

Reply #536840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Strange that when Marvin ran the NBL everything was ok. "

Are you serious? He was constantly criticised for his "self interest", despite come clubs wanting to drag the rest of the league down (which is also self interest) but now that a club owner has control of the league, self interest does not get a mention. Everyone has just been blinded by him flashing money around.

The league will "survive" with his investment but it will United's title to lose every year from now on, and clubs will be going broke trying to compete with them, just like what happened when rich sugar daddies ran the league in the mid-2000s.

Reply #536842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Questions need to be asked about Spencely being the one to take the original LK proposal to the club owners (because they are mates), running his team in to the ground and entering VA, meaning he didn't have to pay back the half mill he owed the league (you know, money that they needed to actually do something to promote the game) and also backing everyone in to a corner so they had no choice but to hand control over to ONE owner.

Reply #536844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I put $6m into something, I'd hope I had some self-interest.

There is too much tall-poppy syndrome in this country. The league's owners didn't have to accept LK's offer if they had a better way of progressing the league. They clearly saw this as the best way to make the NBL into a once-again viable product.

LK, so far, has put forward all of the right plans for professionalising administration of the league. Good on him. Let's wait and see this thing work out, before announcing that it is a failure.

And yes, Melbourne are about to sign a top-level import with significant NBA experience... and I am damn excited about it for the NBL, along with all of the other top-level talent coming (back) to the league this year (Childress, Lisch, Goulding, Khazzouh, Ogilvy, Conklin, Beal, Kickert, CJackson, and the as-yet announced imports for the likes of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth *etc*).

Put that together with a rejuvenated TV deal and suddenly we're on the up again.

TL;DR: there are great things coming to the league - don't be a Negative Nancy. You come here because you love basketball, so give it a chance to succeed before you cause it to fail.

Reply #536847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What might be different here is that if he doesn't right the ship, his control reverts. He had an interest in winning championships before. No he also has an interest in the league surviving that and succeeding.

The Bill Woods article is pretty fluffy though. More NBA players this and participation numbers that. Getting the league moving after an awful off-season is something. Need real steps next.

Reply #536849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tall poppy syndrome is the new racism card. Pull it out as soon as you read something you don't like

Reply #536851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin had his way with the league and very few people criticised him. Everyone defended him for running Perth so well and "such and astute businessman" that it was a natural for him to run the NBL. Please don't talk so much rubbish.
The one eyed and blinkered Perth idiots were his greatest champion.
All that he ever did was allow the NBL to be run into the ground along with the other incompetent board members.
If the LK group cant get it to work, he will hand it back to those same people after 3 years.
Hopefully there will be a league in 4 years time. I agree. It's either this on nothing.
United signing a quality import is LK problem how?
The marquee rule was in before the change or ownership. Effectively now there is no salary cap. If clubs are stupid enough to go down the same road (again)of trying to compete with the rich clubs then so be it. There will be no NBL sooner rather than later and LK will be blamed for that too. Of course he will lose his money. See the difference?

Certainly the CBL will cause LK some consternation if that gets of the ground in possibly a season.

Reply #536852 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I thought Bill Woods would have talked more about the mans vision. So sick of hearing 'grass roots' & 'tv deals'. Give this guy a go IMO.

He's not just a negative F&^% Wit on a blog site like half of u lot!!

Reply #536859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few people criticized Marvin? Hahahahhahaha that is the biggest laugh I've read for a while.

He was constantly criticised, numerous blogs were written about him, then when that material dried up, more blogs were written where things were just invented. People took what said on those blogs as gospel and still repeat the bullshit written there to this day.

There are no blinkered Cats fans, just people that listen to both sides of the story. Marvin ran the league into the ground?..tell me, what would you have done if you had to throw half a mill at two basket case clubs to keep them alive, effectively costing the entire league money away that was earmarked for Marketing and growth? You idiot.

Reply #536865 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"I've read plenty about him, seen his type before and, unfortunately see his vanity cars at work every day."

Cram must be Larry's valet and he's just pissed that he didn't get a decent tip!

Reply #536877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and no doubt an upset Melbourne Tigers supporter.

Expect no less from these trolls

Reply #536878 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"And yes, Melbourne are about to sign a top-level import with significant NBA experience... and I am damn excited about it for the NBL, along with all of the other top-level talent coming (back) to the league this year (Childress, Lisch, Goulding, Khazzouh, Ogilvy, Conklin, Beal, Kickert, CJackson, and the as-yet announced imports for the likes of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth *etc*). "

So, that can't mean Diamon Simpson then? I am not a United supporter, but rather than rip this like other people, I am actually excited for what this may mean for THE LEAGUE (You know, the thing we are trying to save?)

""We've had a Perth centred league for the past few years, who cares if Melbourne U get a bit of a foot up?"

Sorry, who is the ignorant moron?
"

Still you!

We couldn't change the league to the botique TV product that Fraser Neil wanted because that would mean less crowds for the Wildcats - basically the only team in the league making money.

What team was shown every friday last season? I forget? Was it, ummm, the Wildcats?

When the NBL did rarely bother to put on a professional production for the NBL, what team was it for? Was it, ummmmmm the Wildcats?

The best import in the league has routinely played for (except for last season) - who?

Oh, this trivia is much fun.

So don't try to tell me the NBL hasn't been Perth-centric. It has been nothing but since the Kevin Lisch days. I, for one, don't care if the balance sways to United. Perth will still get theirs for crying out loud!

"I'd rather start from scratch than to fall to the knees in front of a rich egomaniac"

Cram and anonymous are the same person. I can tell because IQ's this low are not that common.

Present for us, if you will, evidence of Larry Kestleman being an egomaniac?

He is a man that believes he can run the league, and he is putting literally HIS money where HIS mouth is. He has already shown more faith and belief in a direction than every CEO or shareholder in the league over the past 20 years; if that makes him an egomaniac, then so be it.

Reply #536879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB very well said

Reply #536882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL put on the professional production? Um no, dickhead, Perth paid for it and it was designed to show how good the TV product can be.

Seriously GWB, you miss the point on almost everything you ever write. Try and understand what is being said before you type from now on. This has nothing to do with Perth.

Reply #536886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, Sydney and Melbourne had more televised Friday games than Perth last season. But good job, good effort.

Reply #536889 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Wait and see people...

Reply #536891 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Cram - I'm happy for you to say I told you all so.....But for now I'm going to give him a chance to prove himself as a major stakeholder in the NBL. Bring on 2015-16 seasons already.

Reply #536892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where was that elusive and not spent $1/2 mill dollars spent?
So the 2 clubs that went into VA were just allowed to do that under Marvin's watch and his board? Jeez I have never seen someone so blinkered, Who gives a stuff. I certainly said a long time ago and no one cared that Marvin would be usurped by the DoDo guys. I for one have written every criticism and blog about him that you have read. I am glad you like my work. So go and STFU.

Reply #536899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Bill Woods can spread the word of the NBL on Sportsfan Clubhouse more and I think it would if NBL is on 7.

As for United winning championships.... This new import of theirs must be a hell of a player as I think they won't even make the playoffs!

The league is absolutely stacked and even Townsville who looks to be worse than last season have young players in Steindl, Norton, Djeric and Young that will all improve and they still have spots available.

Good discussion guys but I think we will judge LK when United aren't doing too well and he has to cut a coach or import early... But I'm excited that we could get a new NBL logo, major sponsor, more advertising, new TV deal and ultimately more teams

Reply #536906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm struggling to make sense of anything in #899s post. English, please.

Reply #536910 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

While there have been various bad examples of rich club owners, there are also good examples. Look at what Bendat did with the cats. There's no reason why LK can't apply the same success to the league. Give the guy a chance before you shoot him down.

Reply #536915 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Cram and anonymous are the same person. I can tell because IQ's this low are not that common. "

Wrong. I post under my own name. Always.

"Cram - I'm happy for you to say I told you all so.....But for now I'm going to give him a chance to prove himself as a major stakeholder in the NBL. Bring on 2015-16 seasons already."

Thats fine. I'm glad I don't have to be here to see it.

"Yes and no doubt an upset Melbourne Tigers supporter.

Expect no less from these trolls"

Yes, a Tigers fan.

How does being a displaced fan who doesn't want to see the man who destroyed his team also work his "magic" on the rest of the league he's been following for 25 years make someone a troll?

Seems the only trolling is coming from those who will have no bad words said against their dear leader, Kestleman. He has money you know!

Reply #536921 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Cram must be Larry's valet and he's just pissed that he didn't get a decent tip! "

Haha, I'm guessing even he's not stupid enough to let me near his fleet on phallic objects

Reply #536926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There's no reason why LK can't apply the same success to the league. Give the guy a chance before you shoot him down."

But what about self interest? Remember that? Its the buzzword that everyone threw around last year to criticise the board. This year, there could not be a better example of conflict of interest, we've already seen a few examples of United being put ahead of the interests of other clubs/the league but for some reason its all ok.

Townsville must be thrilled that he poached their best local player and tried to get the MVP from them while there was a free agent moratorium. What a great bloke!

As Cram said, its because he has money that he gets a free pass from everyone.

Reply #536928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we bring back the fake GWB? Hell of a lot smarter than the real one.

Reply #536929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boti is reporting United are chasing Diamon Simpson.

So, yeah, right a "former NBA player""

So what was that about Simpson?

Assuming they get Brewer, does that mean Kickert is no longer the marquee player? Or has the league owner allowed them to have two this year?

Reply #536940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert is not the marquee player.

Reply #536952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice of him to take a "pay cut" then!

Reply #536953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to start posting as the fake GWB again but he has a cry each time and I can't be bothered dealing with his 12 year old whining

Reply #536962 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'll preface this with saying that I'm a Kings fan, so definitely no love for the Unitards, but how is LK responsible for United signing Blanchfield? They put a gun to his head and forced him?

Also, there's no real evidence that they talked to Conklin before the FA period was open, and even if they did, that crap extended on for so long, I don't blame players or teams for getting a head start, I seriously doubt they would have been the only ones... How long was Wortho to Cairns being talked about as a locked in deal?

It's a giant self interest, even if he signs over his controlling stake in United or whatever he had to do, as really, that doesn't mean much I wouldn't think, as most of us would suspect, but yes, the fact that he's putting a huge chunk of cash into the league with the purpose of building it up DOES seem to give him a free pass with most fans, as it's been god only knows how long since we've had that sort of focus and drive to push the league... The last board did their best to keep it afloat after the BA mess, and I was more than willing to give them a chance at the start, but they did nothing... In-fighting, broken promises, and pretty much a huge mess was not all that reassuring, can anyone blame fans for being excited to get someone in charge with money who is willing to spend it and actually seems like he has some push to get things done?

Until HE starts to not deliver, then I think he has the floor...

How does being a displaced fan who doesn't want to see the man who destroyed his team also work his "magic" on the rest of the league he's been following for 25 years make someone a troll?

it doesn't make you a troll, but you have to admit that it's pretty clear that you're biased against him, and I personally don't blame you, but that doesn't mean that he will be the downfall of the NBL... Tigers fans aside, is what he did to the Melbourne team an improvement on any actual numbers? Tiggers were barely filling the netball courts at one stage before he took over, weren't they?

As for buying a championship, didn't they try to do that last season and how did that work out for them? Just because he's in charge of the league doesn't mean anything in regards to what the Unitards are spending and recruiting until they obviously go over the cap, but with some decent management and the marquee player rule, I can't see how that can't be managed properly if they DO manage to get Ronnie Brewer (2 drafts back from Childress) as rumoured... If there's more talk about this than there is of how the Hawks are managing to splash all this cash around for a top level coach and players weeks after coming out of VA, then there's something wrong...

Reply #536984 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"it doesn't make you a troll, but you have to admit that it's pretty clear that you're biased against him, and I personally don't blame you, but that doesn't mean that he will be the downfall of the NBL... Tigers fans aside, is what he did to the Melbourne team an improvement on any actual numbers? Tiggers were barely filling the netball courts at one stage before he took over, weren't they?"

There's a huge amount of fudging any numbers that are coming out of United's camp. They've given away a huge amount of tickets and their "10k members" claim is laughable in its dishonesty.

Aside from that, by discarding the one brand in MElbourne that did survive (no mean feat, with so many other rich benefactors coming and going in that time) they've eliminated (or heavily reduced) the likelyhood of a second Melbourne team. Two teams in Melbourne is a must. The rivalries between the Tigers Vs Dragons/Titans/Magic/Giants have always been so good from day one because whomever supports the "other" team is UNITED by the fact they hate the Tigers. Thats gone.

You can bet Larry wont let another team in on his market as he feels his team represents the whole city. Its a mistake. So many other fans of those other teams will never support United because for them they still have the Tigers "stink", but they would support a NEW teams AGAINST the Tigers. He's taken that away.

I think returning to the days where the few teams with cash are in a battle to sign the biggest name stars, while the rest of the teams struggle to put a decent team together can simply not work too, and thats a direction he is pushing.

Reply #536992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but how is LK responsible for United signing Blanchfield? They put a gun to his head and forced him?

Also, there's no real evidence that they talked to Conklin before the FA period was open, and even if they did, that crap extended on for so long, I don't blame players or teams for getting a head start, I seriously doubt they would have been the only ones"

Holy shit, I've never seen a point missed by so much!

Reply #537004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is this "drive and focus" from LK that everyone is banging on about? He has so far done nothing, said the things that people want to hear....its really been no change EXCEPT he has money to burn. Splashing cash does not equal "drive and focus".

Reply #537005 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

"Holy shit, I've never seen a point missed by so much!"
Hows about you explain instead of bitching then? I'm happy to be proven stupid, it happens all the time (not so much by anons here, but you never know) but I can't seen how Blanchfield moving for the money and possibly winning more games is a huge conspiracy...

@Cram - All very decent points and I'm with you on the fudging of numbers re: memberships. I think all teams but Perth would be drastically reduced if they didn't count partial season memberships as well, but didn't United have some sort of student membership or something that was basically free? Probably exaggerating due to not remembering it clearly, but I remember thinking at one point last season that something would have really inflated the numbers drastically...

Reply #537009 | Report this post

jodiechrist  
Years ago

Dunno about the student thing, but any local club they went into "partnership" with got a whole bunch of "memberships". They seriously had 1 game memberships, given away for free. Soooo no, I wouldn't be counting that as anything like a real member or supporter.

Also despite the giveaways - of which there were many - and hype and general bs, they still failed to actually get bums on seats. Photos from the inside of those home games showed an abysmal turnout throughout the season, which is a great shame since the Tigers final season was very well attended, and was an excellent third year of growth in the leadup to Margaret Court Arena. Just as the club had really turned a corner and had built some momentum, this was all taken away.

Then there was the team implosion itself, which is another matter I guess, but has anyone in recent history seen another team so violently pull itself apart in the start & middle of a season, to the point where the coaching team and playing group has essentially had to be completely rebuilt?

But all this is aside from the LK point - what I don't understand is how people on this forum get so defensive of him. I'm an old Tigers supporter, so no I don't have a lot of love for him, but that also doesn't invalidate my opinion of him either. He dishonestly mismanaged the Tigers and rebuilt United in one of the most haphazard and cash splashing ways possible. And now he's in charge of the entire league.

And aside from LK himself and what I don't like about him, there has to come a point where the NBL needs to be self sustaining and club driven - that's simply never going to happen while the league bounces from one entrepreneur to another - fans simply just have to endure one rich dudes playground after another.

Reply #537121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bouncing around from one entrepreneur to another?"
"Dishonestly mismanaged?"

Yet another deluded 'fan'

Reply #537149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is deluded about that? Its spot on.

Reply #537156 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

As much as I would love to see LK's plan succeed and the NBL grow to be a commercial success, and I do believe he has the ability to do this, I also like what jodiechrist has written, and do agree with a lot from that post, particularly with the Tigers.

Definitely agree with the whole membership numbers thing. I think its a load of crap when clubs spruik their numbers like United did when so many are free tickets, or one-game memberships. That surely should not count as a 'membership'. Its a casual fan with a free ticket is what it is.

Still, for now I'm on LK's side and look forward to seeing what he can do. The NBL needs to get out of this bush league mentality and into a commercial success that the mainstream can follow. And to do that, you need a few $$$ to prop it up. Which for the next 3 years, it has.

Reply #537162 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ah right, it was that one game membership bollocks that I was thinking of... Really, I haven't seen such a blatant attempt at fudging membership numbers ever...

there has to come a point where the NBL needs to be self sustaining and club driven

We've been trying that and things got worse, not better... Granted, they were stuck with a couple of leftover BA contracts, but still, I never saw anything that gave me any confidence that they were making things better... I agree with this in principle, and hope that we get there at some point, but the league needed a shot in the arm, and I think the LK route was the best chance of getting that...

while the league bounces from one entrepreneur to another - fans simply just have to endure one rich dudes playground after another

Either you're getting ahead of yourself or confusing that with clubs, as I'm pretty sure that having the one league owner in charge is the first time that has happened for the NBL?

I'm not a fan of what he did to the Tigers, even while not being a melbourne basketball fan, but the truth is, the league was going downhill fast and we needed something to change... If LK can put his money where his mouth is, great... if not, it's probably bought us a couple more seasons that we might have had without him...

Reply #537174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deluded is suggesting that the NBL has been run by other entrepreneurs. It has never been run by any entrepreneurs previously.

Deluded is suggesting dishonestly mismanaging.
Totally wrong on both counts.
BTW how can anyone dishonestly mismanage?

So you mismanage something and do it dishonestly? That makes no sense at all.

Reply #537185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahha what an idiot.

Reply #537197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes you are.

Reply #537235 | Report this post

Hugh J.  
Years ago

GWB - yours is just about the best post I have read on the forum. You remind me a bit of Andrew Bolt - you have done your research and given it to a lot of MORONS on this thread - WELL DONE.

Reply #537769 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ overload of sarcasm?

Reply #537798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754