Isaac
Years ago

Hawks sign ex-King Kevin White

Rob Beveridge and the Illawarra Hawks have completed the makeup of their back court for the upcoming NBL season adding guard and former Sydney King player Kevin White to their 2015/16 roster.

White joins Rhys Martin, Kevin Lisch and Tyson Demos to form the makeup of Beveridge's back court with Demos and White in particular set to cause defensive headaches for oppositions guards.
Full announcement

Two spots to go - SF and PF. One import spot left.

Unless it's a different Kevin White, he's been playing SEABL with Hobart. Averages 15.1 PPG.

Topic #37472 | Report this topic

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Heaven help them if Martin & Lisch get in foul trouble.

Reply #537176 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Why would someone pick up Kevin White and keep Tyson Demos? Neither of those guys should be in the league

Reply #537178 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Well put, Thunder Jam.

Reply #537179 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah really weird signing. Demos is ok, but neither he or White is good enough to be the first guard off the bench. White might be a good defender but his shooting is awful and doesn't provide anything else offensively. Surely you need someone who can add something at that end.

Reply #537182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White has been better then I thought he would be in the SEABL.

Reply #537187 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

My Kyle Armour tip was wrong then, or maybe he's headed to Cairns or Sydney.

Reply #537189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White is putting up good numbers in the seabl av 15 ppg @43% and 3p% 37. NBL a good option.

Reply #537193 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Those last 2 spots are the key for the Hawks. Who knows what they have in mind.
They would almost certainly be paying the minimum for White.
He might (I hope)just be the 3rd string 3/2 in their line up.

If they pick up another good (ish)local como or SG of the calibre of Carter (Or Madgen but I am dreaming probably) and the other import can play the 3/4 that will still be a strong, 8 deep lineup with another 2 cheap tough guy stoppers/good team guys.

Martin/Carter/Lisch
Lisch/Carter/Demos/White
Coenraad/Import/White
Forman/import/Davo
AJ/Davo

Reply #537194 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Of course the "completed their back court" statement is a big concern.

If that is the case Demos and White almost make each other redundant as they are so similar in what they bring.

Reply #537195 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"If that is the case Demos and White almost make each other redundant as they are so similar in what they bring."

Exactly. They should ideally be competing for that second guard off the bench spot. Neither is great offensively or can competently run the PG. I just dont understand this signing.

Reply #537199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Appears that Martin and Lisch will play heavy minutes unless final import is a 3 who can play a bit of 2.

Reply #537210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White plays D....Demos doesn't!

Reply #537212 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Kevin White has been given the opportunity to play in Sydney over three seasons and has been woeful.
2 ppg 2 rpg is the best he has done. A myth that Hammer created 'great defender'. 10 years since you coached him as a junior Bevo. Solid SEABL player. Bust at NBL level. Demos better but not much. Should have some good tussles at training.
When you have to say a player is great in community you are grasping at straws.

Reply #537214 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I doubt both White and Demos will be on the court together, they will likely interchange with Martin and Lisch just to give them a bit of a rest so one of Martin or Lisch will always be running the point.

The role of White and Demos will be to come in and play a quick hard defensive game and while they are on they are still going to have plenty of scoring ability on the court with;

Lisch or Martin, Coenraad, Forman, Ogilvy, Davidson and 2 imports.

Reply #537216 | Report this post

armchairs  
Years ago

White is probably 10th man, and therefore likely on minimum. Martin and Lisch can both play point.. Have they made a bad roster decision since Bevo arrived?

My concern with ftsos post is suggesting Hawks won't get a better player than coenraad at the 3. He could be a great impact player off the bench but they need more from a starter.

If you got say Lisch, Forman, a good Import3, and AJ on court with Demos or White do you think either of them are in for offence?

Reply #537218 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

He's a great defender if you think great defence involves being super passive and nervously glancing back over your shoulder all the time instead of watching the chest of who you're guarding.

This bozo has repeatedly showed he shouldn't be in the NBL but I'm just glad he is someone else's problem now.

Reply #537233 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I am not suggesting that they wont get a better player than Coenraad. More that if they want to strengthen the back court rotation with another Aussie guard then that import needs to cover the 3/4 spots. In fact I will be very disappointed if the guy is not better than TC.

If they don't go with an Aussie combo and a 3/4 import they could always go with a 3/2 import and get an Aussie to back up Oscar at the 4. (Cody Ellis?).

If this is their planned back court I'll just cross my fingers that Lisch/Martin stay injury free for the season.

Reply #537241 | Report this post

Fast break  
Years ago

Didn't brad hill sign a 2 year deal last year?

Reply #537263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a great signing ....for the Kings

Reply #537264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Existing Hawks contracts ditched by Spenceley. Nevill had a two year deal as well.

Apart from the redundancy with Demos, I don't mind the White signing. Always seemed OK for Sydney to me. Surprised they didn't go for Carter.

Should get a 3/2 now but he's said 4/3.

Reply #537270 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Bevo has been out of the country too long.

Reply #537280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Larry Kestelman deal should hopefully do away with the VA thing. Its a joke a club can sign players/coaches to multi year deals then just magically wash their hands via VA then a month or 2 later sign different coaches/players to bigger deals.

The players union if in a better spot should almost organise a work stoppage over this sort of behaviour.

Reply #537283 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the Kestelman deal changes anything on that front. Hawks players went without pay during VA (despite contracts), had remaining years in contracts dumped and then were offered new contracts at lesser values.

Reply #537285 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

Bevo loves those hard-working, battling types like Robbins he had in Perth.

Might be a good thing to establish the right culture in the Gong, but they might be found short of talent if as others point out, the starters aren't able to play big minutes.

Reply #537286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did players and agents take Hawks for a ride previously? you have to think some of them might have been paid above market value if no other team signed them? if i've followed correctly they're retained their core with two new imports, Olgivly and White. and with Ballinger retiring it leaves who with a multi year contract that misses out? anyone?

Reply #537297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some Hawks players had to pick up part-time jobs in the off-season to cover for lost income.

There would be mid-range guys with mortgages and wages amortised over a full year who lost that income for a stretch of a number of months.

Not sure who wouldn't have got a job elsewhere? Besides maybe Demos, that core would all easily get interest from elsewhere, especially if they were clearly free agents before other clubs started to lock in their teams. Someone like R Martin could be useful anywhere - smart local point guards are hardly common in the league. D Martin, Gibson, 1-2 in FNQ and then the rest have baggage or larger holes in their game. Coenraad might not get a start wherever he wanted, but worst case he's a solid rotation player.

Reply #537310 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm actually surprised that as many re-signed as they did, really... I know there are limited teams, and as dads you take a hit when it's the best location for your family, but I certainly hope that at least some of the missing funds were caught up with the new contracts...

Reply #537314 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I also found this strange. They apparently got short changed by use of VA,have now received new reduced contracts but none of the guys appeared to shop themselves elsewhere.

Just doesn't add up.

Reply #537316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My regard for Bevo as a coach has dropped a peg or 2 with this signing. It's one thing to be loyal to your old boys from NSWIS but White has had more than enough opportunity to prove himself at NBL level & has failed dismally. Surely there are other players who could fill a similar role with more upset potential than White. This is just a waste of a roster spot.

Reply #537318 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

In all honesty based on last years form SOJ would have been a better option than White.

Reply #537319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& Joyce at least was an Illawarra junior.

White is 28 & so you would not expect him to get much better than where he is. How many college kids are returning this year who could fill the same position? Surely one of them would do just as good a job as White right now with the added benefit of having the potential to develop into a quality player.

Reply #537320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce to make a comeback

Reply #537322 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It seems they need a Drake U'u in this team to offset the lack of natural ball handlers; it's not like they currently have a point forward in their team and yet I'd trust Brad Hill more running the point than White or Demos

Reply #537462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would require an NBL team to think about development. I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

Reply #537466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that Aaron Bruce will never appear on a team coached by Bevo.

Reply #537470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I snoop teams Twitter accounts to see if they might let slip any future signings. Hawks have just started following The Matrix Marion.

Reply #537491 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754