Sixers Fan
Years ago

Sixers Imports 15/16

Joey has stated he is looking for a combo guard and a 'scorer'. Boti highlights Kenyon McNeaile and Darnel Dodson. McNeaile would be a solid guard and would fill a need that the Sixers have been lacking for years with his shooting but we surely could do better unless the money is spent on a big name. What do you guys think?

Topic #37480 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

Dodson would be a terrible choice. The combo guard should be able to hit the 3 and spot Gibbo at the point in spurts. McNeaile would be ok I would think and is still quite young. The scoring import should be a wing able to play the 2 and the 3 and be a creator for himself and others. The 36ers should be looking for their Jermaine Beal or Cedric Jackson, someone who can stay on Sixers colours long term. We haven't had that since Willie Farley. I trust Joeys selection but he has picked two duds two seasons in a row. 2 quality imports are vital to compete in the competitive NBL.

Johnson / Hodgson
Petrie / Walker
Creek / Teys
Scorer* / Combo Gd*
Gibson / Sobey

Reply #537289 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I want an import to get excited about for once. Sick of these bargain bin duds.

Reply #537290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love a gun but if you ain't got the cash you'll get wat you pay 4

We spending big cash on Gibbo and DJ

Reply #537295 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Bring back Diamon Simpson please.

Reply #537299 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, when you've been spending big on local talent the last few years, it's pretty hard to complain that you don't have anything left for two superstar imports on top of that...

Reply #537303 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Worrying that we have no spread. Teams will just clog up the lanes big time against us. This team will live and die by how well we shoot the three , which with this line up will be pretty inconsistent.

If anything the guy who will draw defenders out will be our centre , dj. We are gonna get killed by a lot of bigs in the league like Kazzouh and the like.

Reply #537305 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

Ervin and Wilson have been bargain basement duds? No doubt you would have played better than both for less money too.

Reply #537306 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Ervin and Wilson were good but the other two, Jarrid Frye and DQ weren't up to scratch. Defensively we look thin down low unless Hodgy blossoms into a defensive stud.

Reply #537308 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would rather win than watch highlights that stop after the regular season. Wilson and Ervin were both more than serviceable and helped us to the post-season.

I think Diamon would be a waste in this team. Need shooters.

Reply #537311 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Phil, How can you say we have no spread when we still have 2 imports to sign? If those 2 imports are good from beyond the arc then the spread will be fine. Joey has already highlighted this as a need so I am sure he will sign someone with that ability.

Then DJ's versatility becomes even more important as he can draw the bigs out of the paint providing lanes for others to create and drive.

Tom, we need our imports (guard and wing) to be good defenders. Gibbo, Teys, Peach, Creek and DJ are decent defenders. DJ's defence has been much maligned but I have often felt he has in part been a victim of poor perimter defence, he switches as he should but then noone switches to his man and it looks like he is a defensive dud.

If our imports can be good defenders and keep players from getting into the lanes then DJ will be much better defensively I think.

Reply #537331 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'Don't get up, gentlemen.... we're only passing thru.'.......most likely,american import,adam ballinger was the last one to be here more than one season.

Reply #537332 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If we can get players like Rotnei Clarke and Chris Williams (2003 kings) (even better if a better jump shot) we will have a good team imo.

Reply #537333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hers have some great pieces, but to maximise these 'core pieces' the imports or atleast one of them has to be very very good to bring it all together. If not, its going to be a long season BASED on what other teams have put together. I dont have a massive amount of faith in Joey Wrights scouting abilities on Import types. Ebe Ere at Brisbane in his prime was great, but since then no real game breakers. And with this core Aussie group, the 36ers will need a game breaker... so hopefully someone is out there in the USA system who doesn't want to go via the Euro route to the NBA.

And no Diamon Simpson is not the answer...

Reply #537335 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The_Champs' last 5 posts have all been asking for us to sign Diamon Simpson. If not his agent, then certainly has a crush on him. I would ignore.

Anon, everyone said the same about the Sixers last year based on pre-season recruiting. After a slow start, the Sixers romped into the finals. It was all about having a core group and adding one or two important pieces.

Yes, choosing good imports will be important. But that is always the case. But two good imports who play well in the system may well do the trick. Great if we can get someone even better, but I can't see us forking out for a 450 game NBA vet. So that just leaves you with an import lottery where sometimes you luck out.

Reply #537339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly??

Reply #537342 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Ok so all johno wants is two imports. One as good as Rotnei and the other as good as Chris Williams or even Chris Williams with a better jump shot.

Nice to be realistic.

Reply #537349 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... you know 36ers fans, fstos, always reaching for the stars and expecting it to be workable ;)

Reply #537351 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"Anon, everyone said the same about the Sixers last year based on pre-season recruiting. After a slow start, the Sixers romped into the finals. It was all about having a core group and adding one or two important pieces."

We also signed Motum and DJ after our terrible start last season. Chances are things wouldn't have ended up nearly as rosey if they didn't become available. Our pre-season recruiting wasn't great last year, we were just right place/right time with 2 big signings.

The imports are very important. They're the difference between this team being a genuine contender, and right down the bottom, with the strength of the league this year.

Reply #537353 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I know its not easy to get but Brooks and Mee (or Ced Jackson and Ibekwe) would be of similar caliber to what id be trying to get, Sydney could probably add Gary Ervin type next to Josh Childress and that gives a similar level combo, so not impossible but can be very difficult , and you may as well aim high and try and get the best combo your money can buy. If you get it right you put yourself in a great position to win the title.

Does Joey (and guys like Gibbo) still have connections with Ebe Ere??? He would be a great fit for the scoring sf he is after. Im pretty sure Joey tried to get him in his first season here.

Reply #537354 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

XY

Cheers for the acknowledgement.

I am NOT his agent. Rather than 2nd statement in a crush on the bloke.

Reply #537357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi Ere turns 34 next month, I'm not sure that is the route I would want the 36ers to go down.

Reply #537364 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good point re age, but could that be the thing that makes him more affordable/get able to a NBL club??

Lets face it he hasnt been affordable to the NBL for a number of years.

To me the bigger question is can he still play??? numbers in Europe still look solid from my quick look at real gm website.

Or are we better off going for a younger, less proven player??

With imports thats often the trade off as the guys in their mid-late 20's & proven imports are outside of our price range generally. So you go younger less proven, or older guys, Childress is in his 30s and still did well, so i wouldnt rule out a guy in his 30s, especially a proven NBL player as long as he still is playing at a high level.

Reply #537372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Delly keeps pushing for $4 a year the 6ers should snap him up after Cleveland laugh him out the door

Reply #537373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 6ers pulled a rabit out of the hat and were able to basically trade DQ and BJ for Motum and DJ, THATS the ONLY reason they turned the season around.

The 36ers need to get this right from the get go. Pressure is on Joey to recruit the right guys, he is good at talking the talk, but now is just as much the time for him to deliver as a coach as during the season!

Reply #537376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mail is Joey atleast has strongly considered Ere, I think the risk out weighs the good, but Joey is renowned for bringing in his boys, thankfully Ira Clarke is too old even for him to consider!

Reply #537382 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Anon 537364

34 is not that old Childress is 33 ? would you turn him down due to age ?

Reply #537387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bringing in DJ for BJ last year is a bit overrated in terms of how much it helped Adelaide. They were already up and rolling. He had a very minimal impact in the wins he played in (from what I remember). I'm actually a little more optimistic about than maybe others for that reason. It was Wilson and Motum that were big in the run to the finals last year. Not so much Johnson, who can go back to being the main guy this year.

As for imports, maybe they would look at a guy like J.P Tokoto from Philly? Athletic wingman that was taken pick 58 in the draft. Has been okay but not that impressive. Could be encouraged to follow the footsteps of Mcrae last year who was in a similar position with the same team. Absolutely not a rumour at all, just a thought.

Reply #537390 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

We should bring back Jamar Wilson and get someone in the Summer League. DJ Kennedy would be great.

Reply #537391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Although Tokoto is not really a scorer or a combo guard so maybe not.

Reply #537392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"34 is not that old Childress is 33 ? would you turn him down due to age ?"

No, because Childress is a cerebral basketball player and doesn't rely on athleticism but from what I remember Ere did on his shooting jumping over the top of people and at 6'5" and nearly 34 could turn out to be Willie Farley of 2004-07 era for us.

Reply #537394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me be the first to suggest.....Jayson Wells

Reply #537398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We spend on DJ, Gibbo and creek/Petrie looked after well so we'll be ons budget again.

The reality of the SEABL guys is because of limited funds for a second import, if we go all out on a big spend import chances are we might have to lower the expectations on the second import.

Reply #537400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's Farley up to these days...

Reply #537402 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson should be retained for sure. Phenomenal scorer. If the other import is above average I'm happy. Tom, that DJ Kennedy suggestion is great would love to have him.

Reply #537403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id be more than happy with 1 stud and one dud so to speak as opposed to trying to get to diamonds in the rough. The sooner we get this sorted as a club the sooner things start to gel, fans want to see the roster before purchasing season tickets, if money is tight too thesedays!

Reply #537406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too think Wilson would be a better the devil you know type situation so would prefer to see him re-signed and try to find a diamond in the rough for the 2nd import rather than 2 fresh imports who need to gel and mesh with our local core.

Reply #537407 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

...needless to say, our best wins were without an import,last season

Reply #537413 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And with this core Aussie group, the 36ers will need a game breaker...
As XY said, people said the same last off-season. And if you want to point to Motum/Johnson, you have to acknowledge that this time around, Johnson is already in the team and they still have two import spots to use.

Al Harrington is sick of China and going to retire if he can't get a good gig. Might not be an effort guy (and is 35), but he's a Childress-type name at least. 20 PPG in the NBA at some point. Ask him!

If they got Wilson and Tiggs, they could probably do OK.

Reply #537417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basically the 6ers coudld look at it now as a trade of Motum and poentially Wilson for 2 imports, or keep Wilson and then have to try and find a Motum calibre import.

Al Harrington wouldve been great for the Kings and the league in a fill in role, but I cant imagine he will care at all about training hard and winning for that matter. Could be the biggest risk of the lot.

Reply #537420 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac "Would rather win than watch highlights that stop after the regular season. Wilson and Ervin were both more than serviceable and helped us to the post-season."

Perfect post! People don't give enough credit to how good Ervin and Wilson were. There was some talks that Wilson could be in the running for MVP. Now we are all wanting someone better than Wilson who is exciting with dunking abilities, hits 3's and will basically be paid as a budget import. Sounds realistic....

Hendo8888 "We also signed Motum and DJ after our terrible start last season. Chances are things wouldn't have ended up nearly as rosey if they didn't become available."

Actually we were second place when Motum joined us. We then went on a massive losing streak.

Reply #537426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We may have been in 2nd but looks can be decieving. That team was never going to make the playoffs the way it had been assembled, and was just one aspect of one of the more bizarre 36ers seasons ever. To drop all those games once the 'saviour' Motum had arrived, BUT then to turn around a 3qtr time margin against United and go on to do some nice things with DJ in the mix. Point it=s this team will need much more talent than last season's team, because they got lucky in some ways to go on the run they did, and the teams around have all improved.

Reply #537436 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

With a settled roster the team will do great things with Joey at the helm.

Reply #537437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Settled they will do ok, talented, they could do special things.

Reply #537441 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like the talk of Ebi Ere. He wouldn't be a great player in the NBL anymore, but he'd still have some great moments, which is exactly the sparkplug Adelaide need.

If Adelaide could get Ere and someone the equal of Wilson alongside their Aussie contingent they'll be looking pretty good, especially given they've had a core together for a while now. Not sure whether they have the finances to do that though?

Reply #537505 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree, in a sg/sf rotation with Creek, Gibson, Teys Ebi Ere fits the bill of what they are looking for a 6'6 scorer, who is a alpha male and can take over games at times (and wouldnt need to be at MVP level all the time), which is what Joey said the team needed from the start of the off season.

Reply #537570 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I seem to recall that last year Ere was in the league he was heavily criticised for settling way too much for 3s at a reasonably low percentage and was possibly carrying too much weight.

...Just checked... it was 2009 with the Tigers. He still scored 21 ppg at 44% (down from 49% in 2008 with Brisbane) 32% on 3pt% (down from 42%).

Haven't kept up with his current euro form.

Reply #537590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754