Coach Jay
Years ago

How to get players to cope with changed team

Hi guys, hoping to get a bit of advice here. I've coached the same core group of boys for the last five seasons. There has been very little change to the team makeup, except for one boy leaving, one coming in every season.

The boys have gotten really close, and do things with each other outside of basketball. They really love playing together. They even won the grand final together last season.

This year however, the club has decided to do a big shake up. Out of the nine i had last season, only five will stay with me (it was only supposed to be four but i fought tooth and nail to get one back)

Firstly, how do i break the news to the four we've lost? Two of them have mentioned before they'd probably quit if they didnt stay in the team, but i want them to keep playing, even if its not with me this season.

Secondly, we've got three new players to replace the four we've lost. How do i get the five who remain not to gang up on the three newbies? I think after a while they'll warm up to them, but i really dont want there to be an "us vs them" mentality right from the get go. The three new kids are all younger too, so i dont want them to be pressured into thinking the older ones run the show. I need them to play as a team-equally

How do i go about this?

Topic #37490 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on the age group I think, younger ones tend to have short memories and especially if the new kids can play they should be accepted.
As for the ones wanting to quit, let them. Hopefully it will teach them they can't hold people/coaches hostage. If it's because they have to go down a level then they will have to work hard to get their spot back. If they're moving up, isn't that is what kids want, to play at a higher level.
If they truly want to stay together, make up a social team.

Reply #537562 | Report this post

Coach Jay  
Years ago

Hi Anon

The older boys are all 15. The ones coming in 13/14. Not much age difference, but ive noticed it makes a difference in how they interact (for some reason).

In terms of the kids leaving, they're not moving up or down, staying in the same grade, just a different team within that grade (so they'll be playing against their old teammates eventually)

Thanks for the advice though

Reply #537563 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Nice move by the club imo, it's good for kids development to have to build new relationships from scratch and develop chemistry and people skills within their own peer group. They will learn to be competitive against their former team mates but will maintain respectful as they are friends.

It will get them all out of their comfort zones and serve them well down the road in life on and off the court.

Reply #537625 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

what level are we talking? domestic or district? If it's district then you have to follow your club's rules. If it's domestic, there should be nothing stopping you from creating your own team with the same 9 boys..................

Reply #537626 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

the whole team should just move clubs

Reply #537663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville have lost enough teams already.

Reply #537684 | Report this post

Coach Jay  
Years ago

its domestic. Leaving and forming an own club has been discussed, but most parents have already paid the fees and dont want to have to pay a second round.

Thanks for the advice guys, it'll definitely help in breaking the news today

Reply #537913 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Get them all to help build a bridge maybe

Reply #538375 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754