Tom
Years ago

Keep or Drop Jamar Wilson?

Would you guys like to see the 36ers retain Jamar Wilson? He had a MVP calibre season and was a quality scorer. Joey has said he is looking for a combo guard and a scorer but why not kill two birds with one stone? The second import could still be a cold blooded scorer and Jamar would be a lethal second option. That's my opinion what do you think?

Topic #37494 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Is he keen to come back? Would have generated some good interest in Europe after a good stint in France.

Reply #537664 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Drop, no point scoring if you create massive holes defensively and change the rest of the teams game.Something Curry learnt pretty quickly in the finals series and rectified. Problem is with sweet scorers is that coaches become blind to what else is happen on court as a result of the over handling of the ball.

Reply #537665 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I could go 50/50 on Jamar. I think he's alright but I would want a great athletic guard to accompany him - plus he sometimes can be a ball hog.

Reply #537666 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty sure Joey Wright brings in players like Gary Ervin, Adris Deleon and Jamar Wilson to be ballhogs. When they find that balance of being aggressive but not overhandling they become very dangerous players.

Reply #537667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need a guard that can shoot from 3, Jamar is not our guy this season hopefully.
He did play a better second half of last season, but his shot is way too inconsistent.

Reply #537668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to bring him back, otherwise who are Adelaide fans going to hate on when you lose a game?

Blaming the refs only works for away games, so what about when you lose at home?

Reply #537670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson would've come reasonably cheap last season, he was coming off the bench at Cairns and had never gotten them into the playoffs but after this past season he's probably looking for a raise and maybe Joey and the new owners think they can get similar out of a cheaper guy.

Wilson certainly has his faults but personally I would prefer to see the club bring him back, unless of course he's asking for something ridiculous and settle for the cheaper Frye type gamble for the 2nd import spot.

Worse comes to worse we could always cut that 2nd import loose during the season and reach out to Motum if he gets cut during training camp again ;)

I know he's said he would play in Europe if so but we've just re-signed his best friend Teys for another 3 years and there is still no team in his hometown of Brisbane to lure him back so might be an option again.

Reply #537672 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

Wilson shot 39.8% from 3pt range last season. Not the prettiest shot, but you really can't argue with that percentage too much. Ervin was 37% the year before and Rotnei Clarke was 40.3% for the Hawks.

Reply #537681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey should be talking to nba teams and show what playing in the nbl to offer, a good place to start out career, earn ok cash, cultural similarities in terms of language, food etc. Plus the nba team can keep an eye on their progress. Guys like Wilbekin who got passed over but still would have interest from nba teams would be ideal before we go down the veteran who's played all over the world. And a great defensive big should be easy too.
I can't see why we can't get more contacts with nba teams to bring a nba draftee albeit a 2nd rounder.
I would love the glory days of the 9th when the imports were high scoring dunks rather than go with australian centered teams. It's like watching the wnba sometime, no dunks but the fundamentals are great.
We can't be a budget team like we had at the start of last year, you have to spend money to make money. Julius Hodge may have made some enemies but Damn he could play and at least created interest.

Reply #537682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go grab him Townsville :)

Nah seriously I think they can do better and hopefully the remaining import spots can be NBA affiliated and we can improve our relationships with NBA

Reply #537689 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke would be a nice pick up.

Reply #537693 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

Rotnei signed in Germany.

Reply #537723 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

IF Wilson comes at right price and the rmeainder is spent on a genuine locked star player then absolutely, if he is the better of the 2 imports we would be getting, then no. Im just really interested to see how this pans out in next few weeks. Could go in so many different directions!

Reply #537737 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Jamar was purported to be a budget import last year.

If true then he must be the best value for money import last year.

I too had him highly ranked in the MVP stakes for the amount of times he carried the 6ers over the line.

The team should most definitely pick him up again for 1-2 year contract.

Reply #537748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season he probably was a budget import, but if he comes back it will be in a higher yielding contract, so wouldn't make him such great value based on what he offers.

Reply #538013 | Report this post

Air-T 18  
Years ago

If we can land the athletic swingman import for the starting five, then I'm sure Jamar would be a more the suitable secondary option, you know what you get with Jamar and that's valuable, Gibson and Jamar both clicked towards the end of the season and he gets it done against the big teams

Reply #538031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Gibson would be over the moon about a Wilson return, unless one could come off the bench for a spark. Wilson is as ball dominant as it gets, not that, that is a bad thing, but doesnt help Gibson's game of being a floor general AT ALL.

Reply #538074 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754