Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Television coverage very, very difficult

This was from an article by sbs two hours ago:

"There's a long way to go.

Crucially, the competition still has to secure a television deal and also a naming rights sponsor for next season.

"I would have loved to have been doing this deal with them six months ago, the timing is very, very difficult, but we're confident that we will a deal of some sort," Kestelman said."

I personally think Larry is saying they won't have enough time to secure a Television deal for the coming season

Topic #37547 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Surprised he hasn't put up one of his own businesses as a stand-in naming rights sponsor just to remove that element of criticism. I've always said that the NBL needs to shake the stench of decay. Any issues like sponsorship are part of that.

Reply #538657 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why can't you people link the articles?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/24/rejuvenated-nbl-gets-facelift

It's interesting how the NBL/Kestelman has got himself into the news on various different sites that haven't really carried much NBL news for a long time. It seems like he has some good connections!

Reply #538661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET - if you are an anon you cannot post website links, the website will come up with an error message. I assume this is to stop bots posting spam.

Reply #538662 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

""I would have loved to have been doing this deal with them six months ago, the timing is very, very difficult, but we're confident that we will a deal of some sort," Kestelman said."

I personally think Larry is saying they won't have enough time to secure a Television deal for the coming season"

----

Some serious reading comprehension issues there! Larry said he's confident he'll have a deal of some sort. It will be on TV, even if it's revenue neutral or worse.

I guess he's saying it's difficult because all the other sports are already locked in, meaning they have to fit around them.

Reply #538664 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Has he could considered putting a proposal to NITV who are
Part of SBS? Someone like Danny morseau could be involved.

Reply #538668 | Report this post

Henry  
Years ago

I'm going to suggest that the problem is not actually getting it on Fox but the issue is who is going to pay for it.

I would think that Fox will be happy to put the games on TV but they are not going to pay any fees and not even pay for the production costs as they have done in the past. Each game costs on average $25,000 to produce.

Larry might be putting a lot of his own money in but he is obviously no fool and is not going to throw away the amounts of money this will cost him.

I also heard that the upcoming match between Sydney and LSU was going to be a test event for a new HD Youtube channel that the NBL was potentially going to use. There was going to be a $5 fee to watch it live until LSU pulled the plug on the idea so no-one back in the US could watch what they were doing.

Reply #538677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going from 2 games on FTA to zero games on tv would not be a good look for the start of the LK era even though we know there are extenuating circumstances.
Hopefully he can come through for us, and with a deal that doesn't require the NBL to pay to be on tv!

Reply #538685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what did Nick Marvin do in his time with the NBL to assist this process? The preliminary talks that should have been underway must have helped.
Kestleman inherited what Marvin was supposed to be doing didn't he? So surely all good!

Reply #538688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the problems with NITV, SBS, and to some extent the ABC, is that they have a charter which drives their programming decisions. If the NBL doesn't fit into their charter (e.g. the product is not minority focused, or likely to get good coverage in mainstream media) they can't pick it up, regardless of a financial benefit to them.

Reply #538689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL was always a minority sport and look how well that ended up.

Reply #538692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm fascinated by this comment:

"I also heard that the upcoming match between Sydney and LSU was going to be a test event for a new HD Youtube channel that the NBL was potentially going to use. There was going to be a $5 fee to watch it live until LSU pulled the plug on the idea so no-one back in the US could watch what they were doing."

Where on earth did you hear this? And who was organising this?

Reply #538694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go see Ben Simmons for free I say in Melb.
Stuff syd.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-basketball-victoria-offer-free-showing-of-ben-simmons-20150722-gii7ca.html

Reply #538710 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

I don't think any FTA broadcaster would want NBL as they could spend that money on other things. I say good luck to him on getting a new TV deal.

Reply #538826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a feeling this time next year (July 2016) we are going to be STILL discussing tv coverage of the NBL.

Reply #538968 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754