Anonymous
Years ago

Delly to Blazers or Lakers

Hear the Blazers are about to offer delly a contract - there is also interest from the lakers - it's unlikely the cavs will match if it's over 2.5 mil due to tax issues

Interesting days ahead

Topic #37551 | Report this topic

Lose  
Years ago

With Cleveland signing Mo Williams, Delly should probably just move teams, preferably to the Lakers. I'm sure everyone is just dying to see a Delly-Kobe partnership.

Reply #538715 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

If he can get a multi year deal somewherehe should definitely sign

Reply #538725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cavs won't match anything

Reply #538760 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah take the highest multi you can find and worry about the rest.

Reply #538806 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Won't be Blazers as they just signed Pressey.

Reply #538864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They signed Pressey to a non-guaranteed deal, a training camp invite. With all due respect to him Delly is a lot higher up the food chain.

Reply #538865 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am a Delly fan, and I have often been mocked for it on this page, but I think Delly is a little bit deluded about his worth in the NBA right about now.

Delly is in the league solely for his hustle and that is 100 percent it. There are millions of basketball players in the world with his level of talent, who don't quite break their backs every game for the team the way he does. For his hustle, he is worth more than every one of them. However, when it comes to NBA level talent, he stands in the bottom rungs at best.

The Cavaliers will not be in dire straights without him. The team might like him, organisation might like him, the city might like him, but he needs to stop thinking so highly of himself. He is not a necessity to the Cavs finals hopes and they could just as easily replace him tomorrow for another player.

He might not be worth the money he is asking. We are talking four million a season here. On a healthy basketball team Delly might play 5-10 minutes a game provided he is in good form, is this worth four million a season?

The guy is going to price himself out of the league.

Delly's best bet is to find the team willing to give him a guaranteed contract for the longest time possible. If Portland were to offer him 3-4 years on two million a season - damn well take it.

I fear that if Delly keeps playing hard ball, he is going to find himself in Europe or the NBL.

Reply #538903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB, that just shows how little you know about NBA free agency. He has a great agent and a gameplan. Thinking he will end up in the NBL of all places next season is almost as insane as Paul thinking the average NBL team would have a go at a team featuring four NBA lottery picks. I really wish there was more common sense and basic basketball knowledge on this board.

Reply #538916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has a great agent? Nah. He's asked a team for $4 million when players are lining up to play for the Cavs. If he doesn't like $1 or 2 million a year, take the qualifying offer, play well for 82 games, not just a few spread over the playoffs, then come play in Australia when he shows he cant, or take the first multi year deal you get offered.

Reply #538919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I'm sure Steve Nash was represented by a fool who know less than an anonymous poster from a basketball ignorant country. Delly has about 6-8 years to make money playing this game. He's surely not worth 4 million, but he's asking a lot to get the best possible deal. Blindly resigning a near minimum deal with the Cavs to play 5 minutes a game to say he has a ring is not exactly wise. Finding a longer term guaranteed deal with playing time available on the team for as much money as possible is. Should Delly eventually play outside of the NBA, it will be in one of the numerous European leagues that are head and shoulders above the dying semi professional NBL. The only time he will play with Mitchell Young again is at a St Marie's reunion. Get real.

Reply #538921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is a barely NBA level, third string point guard. The opportunity to sit on the bench and collect a ring each year is his ceiling. Can anyone name one team he'd start or be the backup on?

Reply #538922 | Report this post

I see #916 has shifted the Kentucky goalposts again. What a knob.

Reply #538923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the original debate was last year's Kentucky against an NBL team, the goalposts haven't been shifted at all. Another intelligent poster. Back to your video games now mate!

Reply #538924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA 2k16 will have college teams to play with which is stupid as their is a much better quality league right here in Australia they could have used. If Euroleague teams made 2K15 it would make sense that another league that would easily beat college teams would this time round.

Reply #538928 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

I think the problem here is that Delly brings something different to the table as a player and the stats sheets once it come to contract time will never back his game up, so its way easier to lowball him than most players.....but there is a reason he is in the NBA and it's not all about hussle, he's a very smart player that is not ball dominant nor a ball stopper that can run an offense without the need to "get his" so to speak (this is not as common in the NBA as u may think) He also knows how to make others around him look better, for limited minutes as a reliable change up any coach in the league would want a Delly to run things off the bench...just not at a price that takes money away from signing a guy that could get you 15-20 a night if called on, unfortunately delly will never be that guy. He's in a tough spot atm but his stock will never be higher that it is now so he should take a swing right now and see what the best deal he can get is imho.

Reply #538931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Nash has more skill in his left pinky nail then Delly has in his entire body. Steve Nash can afford to ask for huge money because teams actually want him. The thing is, no one wants Delly. I wonder if the Cavs regret offering him the minimum to make him restricted. Players with a lot more skill are lining up to collect a ring, it's time for him and his agent to start either thinking realistically or ringing teams in Europe

Reply #538932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody was comparing Nash and Delly 932. Just noting they have the same agent, who surely isn't an idiot and knows exactly what he is doing with Delly. People fail to realize that he can still sign with the Cavs if a better offer does not materialize. The more skilled players lining up for rings are often attention seeking cancers who cause more harm in the locker room than a back up role justifies. Rag Delly all you want, but nobody with a competent amount of basketball knowledge will tell you he is not an exceptional team player or that he will not be in the NBA next season. The combined IQ of some of hoops.au's regular posters is likely in single digits.

Reply #538941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difficult to see Delly playing for the Boomers in Europe without an NBA contract signed.

Reply #538944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An exceptional team player can still be completely replaceable by every rookie drafted this year

Reply #538965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No matter what, Dellavedova should and will still be in the Boomers squad even if he's playing in Australia.

If the rumours are true that Portland want him then sign that offer sheet very quickly. Cavs know you're replaceable. Dan Gilbert's already paying $75 million in luxury tax, I doubt a man worth US4.8 BILLION would care about another $10 million tax if the team (Lebron) truly thought Delly was a required player.

In Portland, you're almost certain to be backup to Lillard (haven't seen anything of Tim Frazier but they average around the same stats, Frazier assists more, Delly scores more but only by a little) and Dame averages 36 minutes a game for his career so you're looking at 10+ minutes of game time a night. Ideal situation for him in my view

Reply #538980 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Thinking he will end up in the NBL of all places next season is almost as insane as Paul thinking the average NBL team would have a go at a team featuring four NBA lottery picks."

Since when are the Breakers an average NBL team? BTW I see another NBL team has signed a player who smoked Kentucky, it's getting a bit boring really.

Reply #539010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised he is doing this boomers stuff while this contract situation isnt sorted out.

Reply #539014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kentucky suck because a player who did well against them is now playing in the NBL? Perfect sense

Reply #539015 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Who said Kentucky suck?

Reply #539018 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Does anyone on this forum understand what is happening with the NBA's salary cap over the next few years?

There have been a bunch of free agents sign above their current market value on long-term deals because the cap is said to rise with the NBA's new broadcast deal, hence an increase in salaries across the board.

$4mil per for 3-4 years may sound like a lot, but this has been the norm of the offseason: long-term deals at - what will be - below market value prices. Moreover, Delly has proven in a short space of time to be a marketable team-first player, despite limited (relative) talent. This isn't an unjustified stance for Delly's camp to take.

Reply #539020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's unjustified because zero of thirty teams think hes worth what he's asking. Time to get realistic if he wants to find a team. Fine to say "I'd like to get $4 million" but time for his agent to find a price at least one team thinks he is worth.

Also nice of us Australians to say he's worth millions based on a couple of games and patriotism but actual NBA teams look at much more then outlier games. Truth is he's a 5 point 3 assist a game player (I think) for his career, and they're dime a dozen

Reply #539024 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If a team jumps at what you first asked for then you've probably asked for too little. He already has an offer on the table so he can afford to explore and see what he can get.

If his history is anything to go by, Delly will be a significantly better player in two years' time than he is now.

Reply #539027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's unjustified because zero of thirty teams think hes worth what he's asking. Time to get realistic if he wants to find a team. Fine to say "I'd like to get $4 million" but time for his agent to find a price at least one team thinks he is worth.

Also nice of us Australians to say he's worth millions based on a couple of games and patriotism but actual NBA teams look at much more then outlier games. Truth is he's a 5 point 3 assist a game player (I think) for his career, and they're dime a dozen

You don't understand NBA free agency. It has been reported by NBA journalists numerous times this offseason that teams don't what to waste the effort to sign Delly to an offer sheet because they all expect the Cavs to match it anyway. He's a restricted free agent not a regular unrestricted free agent.

He's already got a team the Cavs! They've already extended him a qualifying offer (1 year about $1.1 million) he's holding out for either a better offer from the Cavs or another team. I dare say the Cavs situation is drawn out because Tristan Thompson still refuses to re-sign until he gets offered Draymond Green money and they've got JR Smith to worry about too on top of Delly.

There's nothing dime a dozen about becoming just the 3rd undrafted player in NBA history to have a 20 point game in the NBA Finals.

Reply #539039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a nothing stat and literally the only one people use to justify that he's any good. Forget his what, 17% shooting from 3, he scored 20 in one game so he's a beast and worth 4 million to play 5 minutes a game

Reply #539041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One team thinks he's worth $1.1 million, and 29 think he's not worth offering anything to despite the Cavs finding a better back up. 29 teams know the cavs won't match $4 million, so why aren't they offering him that now?

Reply #539044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly better in two years? That's a good joke

Reply #539050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Though not unlikely, pretty hard to not improve on 20% shooting on 2 point attempts

Reply #539051 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

If a QO comes in, Delly has to accept it before the Cavs get to match it correct? Delly can just turn it down?

Does anyone have a link to a journo saying teams can't be bothered waiting? Keep reading it here but haven't seen anything myself

Reply #539056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Delly shot 41% on 3pts last season.

The latest talk is Portland are preparing to put an offer to him and the Cavs are also talking about trading Brendan Haywood's non-guaranteed contract to Portland so Delly could be included in that in a sign and trade deal.

Reply #539061 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

That 41% worked out to one a game. Nothing to write home about

Reply #539063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orbs,

The Cavs have already offered Delly the QO. He's refusing to sign it in the hope of either the Cavs offering him a better deal or from another team. If he signs an offer sheet with another team the Cavs will have 3 days to match it or not. This all happened with Baynes last season he refused to sign the Spurs QO even threatened to go back to Europe (the Spurs would have retained his NBA rights, just like the Cavs currently own Delly's NBA rights) but eventually the Spurs blinked and offered Baynes a 1 year deal for $2.1 million. QO can be rescinded by teams but I can't see the Cavs doing that.

btw

It's was always going to be hard for Dellavedova (or, more accurately, his agent) to secure an offer sheet from another team for the point guard because teams assumed the Cavs would just match. Why tie up your cap space for a few days to offer a player you’re not going to get?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/15/report-cavaliers-matthew-dellavedova-still-well-apart-on-new-contract/

Reply #539065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I consider the cut off point for paying attention to shooting stats is at least 2 attempts a game. In his 67 games with the Cavs last season Delly attempted 2.5 3pts per game and shot 40.7%. He shoots 38.8% in his NBA career, that's a pretty good clip.

Reply #539066 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Sorry, I initially meant if Portland send an offer sheet, does Delly have to accept it before the Cavs get to let him go or match. If Portland offers him something he doesn't like, can Delly say no thanks or is it a binding you have to match or let him go deal

Reply #539067 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

I think for threes you have to shoot a lot before you worry about the percentages. Two isn't enough at all. To say you're a pretty good three point shooter you need to be putting up redick or korver number of attempts before shooting 40% is decent. Making one a game isn't all that impressive at 40%. Personal opinion, but I do agree his three point shooting is one of his strengths

Reply #539068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly doesn't have to sign an offer sheet from Portland or any other team if he doesn't want to. Let's say Portland do offer him a contract and he signs it, the Cavs as they own his rights will have 3 days to decide to match the Blazers offer or not.

Reply #539069 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Hopefully Portland send something through soon so we can stop guesstimating his worth

Reply #539070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Bron would be in love with Delly for his contributio ni the Finals and make sure Cavs took care of him. Evidently not..

Reply #539284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blazers just signed PHIL Pressy so don't think they need Delly.

He better hope lakers or he might be playing back 4 cabs or worse not in the league at all!

Reply #539285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly to be out of league and in Europe thus year

Reply #539296 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Hayward and Miller just got traded, Cavs cut their luxury tax from 32 million to 4 million. Dellys probably about to get signed for a couple of million now

Reply #539331 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754