Isaac
Years ago

Hawks to announce Kirk Penney signing Monday?

Bit of buzz around...

Lachy Reid:

Would love to be a fly on the wall when @illawarrahawks fans and @HawksPitCrew hear who their new player is @NBL #gun #lethalweapon
ATF:
(On paper) this may be the best starting line up the Hawks have ever had
Spenceley:
Oh yes @wollongonghawks get ready for some more BIG news ... can't stop smiling :) #gobevo

Topic #37555 | Report this topic

IAN  
Years ago

Any one got clues who it is?

They could use another 3 man to help Tim Coenraad. Maybe Stephen Jackson or Shawn Marion?

Reply #538790 | Report this post

Kevin 3  
Years ago

Hawks following Marion on Twitter

Reply #538791 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Hmm... high profile import? A local who was previously a huge target of the Hawks Pit Crew?

Reply #538792 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The best starting line up they have ever had? who have they signed so far?

Reply #538793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike dunigan

Reply #538794 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Kirk Penney?

Reply #538795 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

R. Martin
Lisch
Ennis?
Forman
Ogilvy

it would be hilarious if it was Ennis...

Rotnei is well on par with Lisch, if not more important at the time, Ogilvy is the best big man they've had in recent memory, surely? They'd need a pretty schmick 2nd import or superstar Aussie to make it the best, wouldn't they?

What Aussies are overseas that coming back would be a huge get? Any with ties to Bevo?

Reply #538797 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

The Shawn Marion follow is a bit of an odd one. Could he be the guy? #MatrixDownUnder

Reply #538798 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Could it be Kirk Penney?

Reply #538801 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Anyone know his contract status in Europe?

Reply #538802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought people were saying it's an import? If so, that means it's not Kirk Penney.

Reply #538803 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Don't think it's been definitively stated as an import. Just a "big signing" that will get everyone jumping on board.

Reply #538804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Meta World Peace? I'd come home from London if it was.

Reply #538805 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Remember Spenceley was ejaculating over his import circus jumping midget last year so I normally wouldn't get too carried away BUT with the other guys buying in this has me very intrigued.

Is the reference about the pit crew a hint that it is some one they have had a running battle with.

In this case it could be Ennis but I think his future at the Heat or the NBA is still up in the air.

Marion would fill a lot of holes and could play the 3 and 4 at NBL level which is just what the Hawks need. He would only be coming here to spend time in Australia as the money would be chump change to him.

Penney I doubt as he would more than likely only return to NZ.

Maybe it's a bit over hyped and the player is Ben Madgen who as far as I know still doesn't have a Euro gig.

Reply #538807 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Surely it is not Ennis or Madgen? Ennis will at least report to training camp with Miami and if he is cut I suspect he would pursue other NBA opportunities or Europe before he looked at the NBL.

Madgen is a nice player, but not a guy who you talk of in terms of major announcements, making people re-think membership decisions and commencing discussion about the franchise's all-time great lineups.

It certainly sounds like the signing will have a bit of "wow" factor to it.

Marion or Penney would tick that box.

Reply #538808 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Just to throw more cold water on the Ennis rumour, if he were truly interested in returning to the NBL, surely Perth would have signed him and not Casey Prather?

Reply #538809 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Shawn Marion...... are you guys even being serious?
Ennis is still with the Heat and as if he would come back to the NBL at this stage in his career.

Please be realistic

Reply #538813 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Marion is only in the talks because the Hawks follow him on Twitter (and don't seem to follow other NBA players), which is kind of weird.

Penney seems to be the guy. Lachie calling him a #gun and #lethalweapon and the Hawks saying the signing will shock non-Hawks fans too would weigh in favour of that. i.e. Everyone expected Penney would only return to the NBL via the Breakers.

Reply #538814 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Few comments as well in favour of Penney

Reply #538815 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

on twitter that is

Reply #538816 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Hawks signing everyone's favourite sons? Lisch, now possibly Kirk! :P

Reply #538817 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

I'm not sure how to embed tweets like Isaac did in the first post of this thread, but this from Penney's twitter account on June 10, 2015:

Maybe I've taken that out of context, but is he essentially bidding goodbye to his current club there? Which would add up to being a free agent returning to the NBL...

Reply #538820 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Marions the last guy they followed on twitter..

Why not? dare to dream

Reply #538821 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To put a few of you out of your misery, them following Marion is a prank. Ignore that bit.

Reply #538822 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If its Ben Madgen I am going to - whatever the opposite of 'care' is..

Reply #538825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hater... Madgen would be a decent pickup. Doubt its him but if it is, would liken that renewed rivalry between Kings and Hawks. Id say Penney, based on the opinion that itd be the best starting lineup they have ever had.

Reply #538827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Penney that good? They've already got Coenrad at sf.

Reply #538828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac is it possible to make this forum more friendly for posting links and gifs, etc for those of us without html skills (like reddit)?

Reply #538829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney is alot better than Coenarad to put it mildly. C'mon now guy was/is a stud at NBL level.

Reply #538831 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd like to say Rotnei but Hawks already have their guards filled. Surely if Penney was going to be interested in returning, Breakers would of been all over him already.

Is Ryan Broekoff even in the equation ?

Reply #538834 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Boti has posted an article saying it will be Kirk Penney - a much, much better pick up than Ben (Yawn) Madgen.

Reply #538838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Penney is elite level. Like Rotnei but with size. Could've played more NBA, IMO. Veteran now, but still a huge pickup.

Reply #538841 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

If it is Penney then he can cover the 3 starting and then swing to the 2 so the concern over having only Demos and White as backups has disappeared.

The next question is have they got any cash left to fill the last spot with an import. They only need a backup 4 but in an ideal world that player could also play at 5 in case Davo has his usual injury time. Don't need scoring from the last spot so only needs to play d and rebound.

Reply #538842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penny was elite.. A bit over the hill now? How old is he 36??

Reply #538844 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wow ! A lot to be excited about this year. Both for Hawks and the NBL.

Cats "30 straight" in serious jeopardy this year.

Reply #538846 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Penney isn't elite any more, but still a quality veteran who will make a good contribution inside a system and also have some match-winning performances when the body is feeling good.

Great signing if true, amazed to see him at an NBL club other than NZ, but the Breakers rightfully focused on Webster and Abercrombie.

Reply #538849 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Kirk Penney is 34, btw

Reply #538850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch, Penney and Forman.

Has to be one of the NBL's best ever 3 point trio's? Not only have they historically shot 40% from deep they have always been at the top of 3pt makes per season.

Knock down shooter like this will really open things up nicely inside for AJ Ogilvy.

Could Marion be their 2nd import?

Reply #538854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forget Marion.

Reply #538859 | Report this post

Pug 68  
Years ago

Kirk Penney back in the NBL would be amazing

Reply #538861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HUGEEE

Reply #538863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even if he's lost a step, teams won't be able to leave him open.

If it's legit, the Hawks off-season is roughly:

Nevill -> Ogilvy
Ervin -> Lisch
Carson -> Penney
Hill -> White
Ballinger -> ?

Import spot spare - if the points and cap space is there, go for it. If not, bring back Hill and keep the import spot as injury insurance.

Reply #538870 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

*slow whistle* nice get... Like everyone else, I'm amazed to see Penney back in the NBL in anything other than a Breakers singlet...

Those improvements have been huge, really... Hopefully the increased number of wins for the players who stuck around will make up for those couple of months they weren't being paid...

Martin [5] / Demos [0?]
Lisch [10] / White [2]
Penney [9] / Coenraad [5]
Forman [5] / ??? []
Ogilvy [9] / Davidson [4]
Total = 49

with saving 8pts with loyalty discounts, there is no worry about points cap, but surely they'd have to be using some marquee money? I know Demos and White would be cheap, and it all depends if they'll run with one import or not, but that's a pretty nicely stacked first 5... teams are really gonna have to work hard on the perimeter this coming season!

Reply #538874 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Get a nice athletic 4 man and relegate Foreman to the bench and they have a pretty nice squad there. You can almost forgive them picking up White and continuing with that nobody Tyson Demos.

I am watching all of these teams make big signings - but don't worry Adelaide! You have Lucas Walker!

Reply #538901 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

If true certainly justifies the signing of both demos and white which some were questioning. Penney will spend time at the two also no doubt, so I can't see white and demos playing many minutes.

Reply #538909 | Report this post

Sean  
Years ago

Big blow for the Breakers. Was looking forward to seeing him play again for us.

Hawks, Kings, United, Taipains, Wildcats, Breakers all have strong rosters who can contend for the playoffs.

The Big 3 of Lisch, Penney & AJ Ogilvy would be massive going against Childress, Thornton and Khazzouh

Reply #538930 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Adelaide will contend. They've returned the core of a squad that made the playoffs 2 years running and still have two imports to go.

Reply #538934 | Report this post

I hope Spencely's unpaid creditors are enjoying his tweets bragging about his latest spending spree.

Reply #538936 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Another great signing for the league. Little bit gutted it isn't in a Breakers jersey but also glad he didn't come here at the expense of someone in their prime like Corey Webster or Tom Abercrombie.

The Hawks must have found some cash in an old suit pocket as I can't see him coming cheap especially in NBL terms and then add in Lisch & Ogilvy and there is no way they aren't spending at least the whole salary cap.

R.Martin
K.Lisch
K.Penney
O.Foreman
A.J Ogilvy

Nice starting 5 but not sure who is going to stop anyone on another team from scoring?

Lisch and Penney play similar games so not sure how they would co-exist on court together.
They have both historically taken the bulk of their teams shots so not sure where Foreman & Ogilvy will get their touches from offensively either.

Reply #538948 | Report this post

Kolo Mee  
Years ago

Lisch is an underrated playmaker. He does more with ball-in-hand, whereas Penney's strength is more catch-and-shoot or quick hit moves after the catch. They will complement each other fine. As you say though, I will be interested to see what Penney brings defensively.

Rob Beveridge is a fine coach though, so I think you give him this type of talent he will take them to the Top 4 for sure.

Reply #538952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Adelaide will contend. They've returned the core of a squad that made the playoffs 2 years running and still have two imports to go."

A core missing it's two best players from last season. The imports both need to be stars for us to be a playoff contender let alone championship contender given how much the rest of the league has improved.

Reply #538955 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"I will be interested to see what Penney brings defensively."

and the other 4.
Lisch wasn't exactly a lockdown defender at Perth and Oscar Foreman struggles on the block defensively with most PF's. Rhys Martin & A.J Ogilvy aren't terrible defenders but aren't going to make the all defensive team anytime soon either.

Reply #538956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks will make he playoffs and think it'll be a very high octane offense that will be hard to defend. They'll do enough defensively. With every signing the 36ers have more and more pressure to get the import spots right, Im starting to get nervous and sceptical as to why no one has been signed yet. Can see the Adelaide boys missing the playoffs this season, its going to be very very competitive night in night out.

Reply #538957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Im starting to get nervous and sceptical as to why no one has been signed yet.
Summer leagues only recently wrapped up.

Reply #538959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If reports are true and kp is signed and bevo gets that import 4 who can flat out play as he has stated he wants Illawarra Hawks could be the team to beat

Reply #538967 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"If reports are true and kp is signed and bevo gets that import 4 who can flat out play as he has stated he wants Illawarra Hawks could be the team to beat"

how can they afford an import that can flat out on top of Ogilvy, Lisch & Penney, especially Lisch & Penney who were lured out of Europe?

Reply #538970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro.

It's the lure of Bevo. Players want to play for him.

Reply #538978 | Report this post

Kolo Mee  
Years ago

Disagree, I think Lisch is a better than average defender. He is a bit short for a SG, though.

Reply #538982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conspiracy theories anyone.
Good luck to the Hawks they look good for top 4 this season

Reply #538984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jax did just officially retire from the nba....

or If it does end up being Matrix by some crazy long shot...HOLY SH!T

Reply #538994 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"Mystro.

It's the lure of Bevo. Players want to play for him."

You are talking about Australians, we are talking about an import spot & most Americans with no previous playing experience in Australia wouldn't know him from a bar of soap.

Reply #538995 | Report this post

Gongski  
Years ago

nice to see Spencely has found some of that missing cash that he couldnt pay me with. . Gotta love VA wipe away nearly 2 million in debt, make arrangement that continually contracted player debts get rolled over to a new contract. Ie foreman, davidson, demos, hill, coenraad etc pay minimal amount to front office employers who chose not to come back, get NBL to issue NEW liscence , register a NEW entity with same owner and management and hey presto your back in business spending that mysterious cash. . , what a fuc$&ng insult !

Reply #538996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It aint pretty when you put it like that, but its life. Even the most well stabilised companies can have issues, let alone a failing NBL team that was dead and burried a few months back.

Reply #539000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is knocking them for having issues but it's clear that he has shirked his responsibilities to people he owes money too, is getting away with it and has now taken to bragging about these new big signings. What a complete arsehole.

Reply #539002 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"You are talking about Australians, we are talking about an import spot & most Americans with no previous playing experience in Australia wouldn't know him from a bar of soap."

It's not what players know, it's what their agents know, and any international agent worth his weight in salt would know Bevo.

Reply #539009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So take him to court Gongski.

Reply #539011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tinkler 2.0

Reply #539013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rich dont get rich and stay rich by being nice... if there is a legal issue and you have a foot to stand on, take it to court, if not, whinging on a forum is just tacky imo As a fan of the NBL, im wrapt this team has some funds behind it and will be around for years to come.

Reply #539054 | Report this post

What, the guy whinging about being dudded is tacky but the rich bloke who deliberately shafted people over is ok in your eyes because it means you get to watch more basketball?

Reply #539058 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You should have a problem with the law, not the guy. What he did seems in line with the laws of the land.

Reply #539060 | Report this post

just because someone acts "legally" it doesn't mean they have acted ethically.

Reply #539062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your right, the ethics of it is very grey and tbh he sounds like a grad A jerk, BUT he didnt break the law, so whinging on a forum wont get anyone anywhere. AND the one positive fot the majority is that the Hawks are flying again....

Reply #539064 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Obviously a Hawks fan then, Anon, as there's legally and then there's ethically, and then there's gloating about things on social media when he's clearly done wrong by a LOT of people, and with all this money that he COULD have paid them, is now splashing around on top quality coaches and players (of whom are in no way at any fault), it's just incredibly classless on his behalf...

Reply #539074 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

My biggest concern with this roster was rebounding as they have been notoriously dismal under Gordie in that category, Bevo's teams crash the boards as a team so this team could win a lot but in their losses you'd imagine it would be boards and not ball handling, shooting or defence that's the undoing of this team of champions.

For what it's worth I think Lisch is a bloody good defender, I remember him staying on Deleon all game and kept him to like 5 points or something... I think that was against the Hawks too.

I'd love to read that Spencely has paid his players past and present what they are owed

Reply #539116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kirk anyone remember him?
Don't highjack the topic!

Reply #539117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys being negative are so one dimensional and immature in your thinking

yes going into administration is never a great situation but the process of going into administration is there to keep businesses alive long term, it's not dodgy or unethical. the hawks couldn't survive in their previous format, it was over, lights out.

the system works as it is designed to, some creditors were hit but the administration process kept the business alive and

10 players are employed
3 coaches
5 front office staff
businesses keep selling things to the hawks and make money
venue gets income and doesn't have to cut jobs (can recoup losses if they want to)
doctors, physios etc have income
people have a team to support in wollongong
... and not for 1 season but hopefully 30 years in to the future. That is 300 NBL spots that get to play that otherwise wouldn't have.

you talk about the poor players who were hit, many of those players wouldn't be playing basketball this season if the team folded, which do you think they prefer (and the evidence is they re-signed)

get over it, well done to spencely and everyone involved with getting the hawks back

take your petty small minded grievances elsewhere and think about the jobs (and those people's lives) created this season and for many seasons into the future

Reply #539142 | Report this post

"yes going into administration is never a great situation but the process of going into administration is there to keep businesses alive long term, it's not dodgy or unethical. the hawks couldn't survive in their previous format, it was over, lights out. "

They're owned by a guy who is worth $22 million. Yes, they could have survived.

Reply #539150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yawn

there is an 8th team in the league, that is great

if you want to cut tall poppies go visit a poppy field and leave the basketball forums alone

Reply #539153 | Report this post

hahahaha that isn't what tall poppy means, dickhead.

Reply #539154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tall Poppy Syndrome "to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements"

seems to be what has hijacked a thread about a player signing

Reply #539161 | Report this post

And none of those things apply here.

You're happy that you get to watch more basketball even though it took a lot of people getting screwed over to get there. Perhaps you can tell us what syndrome you have that describes that sort of selfishness.

Reply #539164 | Report this post

Anon1980  
Years ago

back to talking about basketball please ?

Reply #539165 | Report this post

We're talking about the current NBL here, plus what went on in the off season. Its completely relevant to the signing of Penney and other big name players.

Reply #539168 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well said anon 142, lets hope it does mean the Hawks are alive for a long time to come.

Reply #539189 | Report this post

And thats the other issue we haven't even touched yet. We've already seen Spenceley throw his toys out of the cot when things got too hard. Why would you believe that he has plans to keep this going for the long term? I mean, he won't be the first NBL rich owner to do that but sure, lets believe that this guy will be different.

Reply #539197 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about the post-VA process has made the Hawks viable? They've got a better team, but that could've happened without VA. They need the roster to translate to sponsorship or tickets for viability.

paul, I agree with Chalmers - ethics can't be overlooked. Tax minimisation is legal but ethically ambiguous at best. I don't like this VA scenario being ignored. Feels very unfair to me and I can sympathise with anyone on the wrong side of it.

Reply #539214 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Again, if you have issues with this situation it should be with the law that allows it.

Reply #539228 | Report this post

I think the usual paul is having his username borrowed by someone saying completely stupid things.

Reply #539233 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Saying people are within their rights to act within the law is hardly "completely stupid", in fact it's one of the foundations of our society.

I'm all for the law being adjusted, but not for attacking people who follow the current law.

Reply #539235 | Report this post

Its a law that is really only accessible to people who have an army of lawyers and accountants at the ready to get creative enough to absolve you of any responsibility.
Using those laws to knowingly do that is abhorrent behaviour but hey, we all get to watch more basketball so that makes it all ok.

Reply #539240 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So you think the law should be changed?

Reply #539241 | Report this post

Thats got nothing to do with the point I am making.

Reply #539245 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Its a law that is really only accessible to people who have an army of lawyers and accountants at the ready to get creative enough to absolve you of any responsibility."

Sounds like you are firmly against the law to me.

Reply #539249 | Report this post

Again, that has got nothing to do with the point I am making.

Reply #539255 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It has a lot to do with it. Change the law and it doesn't happen.

Reply #539256 | Report this post

Or, just don't act unethically. Don't screw people over just because the law allows you too.

Reply #539258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul.

Ethics isn't specifically about what it legal and what is illegal. There is a practical importance of the distinction between morality and law, so your point on discussing the law it moot.

It is legal for a man to cheat on his wife but it isn't very moral.

Snes is saying he isn't fond of the ethics in the situation. The Hawks aimed to be club for the community and by the community. No doubt the VA put strain on local creditors, who, we could assume in other instances VA, only saw a fraction of the money owed to them, whilst the league, now owned by someone believed to have connections wiped the team's debt from the NBL. Seeing the team's long term coach who had stuck with them through thick and thin walked away citing the clubs culture changing.

So please. Stop trying to make this a legal issue. It simply isn't.

Reply #539260 | Report this post

I can't believe Geordie walked out on the club. Didn't he know that all of this was legal?

Reply #539261 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Once again, change the law and this doesn't happen. The rest is just pub talk.

Reply #539268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chalmers, from what I guess is your usual political slant, paul is arguing the position I'd more expect from you!

paul, surely you can see that someone might have a view of the law and of something from an ethical perspective? And that beyond "pub talk", that pushing awareness of it has value.

Aggressive tax minimisation is a reasonable parallel for this sort of thing. Legal but ethically questionable and available mostly to the wealthy.

I run a small business and I've had to write off money owed by Australian basketball organisations. It's really damaging at this scale of business. I think Gongski (and players) have a right to feel aggrieved.

It's one thing to can later years in a contract (Nevill is one example), and another if you're ditching money owed under an amortised contract where the service has already been rendered. I think that's really unfair.

Reply #539278 | Report this post

I think I know what you mean Isaac but I don't think I have ever been in favour of hiding behind a law to blatantly rip someone off.

Reply #539282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel for you gongski and other small to medium business owners in the Gong as it is a slap in the face. Have the Hawks at least offered to keep you as suppliers so you get at least continued business off of them? I can understand if you wouldn't accept but hopefully the club offered.

Reply #539283 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"paul, surely you can see that someone might have a view of the law and of something from an ethical perspective? And that beyond "pub talk", that pushing awareness of it has value."

I do, but I think it's meaningless unless you're campaigning to change the law to align with those ethics. I'm all for changing the VA laws, but not for attacking people who act lawfully.

Reply #539286 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

Paul I think the issue is that VA is used as a tool by some to negate their obligations. Trump has been liquidated many times but still maintains billionaire status. I would have a grievance too if a shelf company was the thin layer between my rightful income and being shafted.

Once the VA started the staff had their income turned off, all the while knowing that the guy turning the tap was perfectly capable of paying them what they were owed.

Not sure how you build confidence and a succesful culture when you have done that to people

Reply #539291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its okay guys. We understand that a journalist wouldnt be able to comprehend ethics.

Reply #539292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul clearly a lifelong employee never risked a cent being in business for himself. you take a giant risk and then legally there are ways to circumvent it. really hurts others lives. think of the children!

Reply #539293 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul I think the issue is that VA is used as a tool by some to negate their obligations."

Exactly. That's why the laws surrounding its use should be changed. Until they are though, a business owner is within their rights to use them.

For the anon who knows me so well, I work as a contractor and have for a number of years. One thing I've learned over those years is when people don't have a good argument they attack the person.

Reply #539295 | Report this post

paul, do you think the whole Hawks VA scenario is ethical?

Reply #539297 | Report this post

Big Dog  
Years ago

WOW

Reply #539312 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

Is this the real reason why we have the Illawarra Hawks now because to issue a new license there had to be a name change or something along those lines?

Reply #539315 | Report this post

64Datome  
Years ago

It's worth noting that one of the aspects that makes Australia attractive as a destination for imports, is the fact that team owners generally act in an ethical and predictable manner when it comes to financial obligations etc. Flying in the face of that, by essentially leaving creditors high and dry, in order to get a fresh start, puts a dent in that reputation (however small).

Reply #539319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how does Gonski get exposed to a debt dealing with an organisation that has been financially questionable for a fair while. If it was me it would always be COD.

Reply #539321 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I just hope that all this spending on elite players doesn't follow suit on last years financial problems. Would be a massive disaster if they went into VA again this year. Hawks fan need to show up in the masses and support the this quality team.

Townsville seem to be a little more sensible with their spending so far.

Reply #539322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the team struggles out of the gate and aren't drawing crowds can they go into VA mid season?

I'm looking to put my credit card balance into VA, any advice?

Reply #539324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, the right thing and the legal thing (especially in business) are often some distance apart. Obviously countless people argued against Rosa Parks' actions at some point in the past and were legally correct. The person who protested or complained at the dinner table or wrote to a newspaper contributed in some way towards the public sentiment that helps realise change.

I'm reminded of Kerry Packer's quote:

I am not evading tax in any way, shape or form. Of course, I am minimising my tax. Anybody in this country who does not minimise his tax wants his head read.
Anyone who employs aggressive tax minimisation to the extent we see employed by large companies in 2015 needs their head read, IMO. Selfish bastard.

Reply #539330 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree, and Rosa Parks actions were about changing the law, which they did. All i see here is talk about am individual, no talk and particularly action about the offending law.

I'll support action to alter the VA laws, I don't think they're right, I just won't vilify people who are following the laws of our country, I think I've made that pretty clear.

I don't subscribe to the current subculture of our country where people think they can vilify individuals simply because they disagree with them, arguing on moral grounds that don't require reasoned argument. It's the technique of autocrats and has no place in a genuinely democratic country.

Reply #539334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's an interesting point.
Surely / hopefully the LK group are vetting the financials of all clubs. Essentially with no cap now the clubs can spend as much as they want. The supporting financials need to be submitted to ensure that the spending can be covered. Pretty simple really I would have thought.

Reply #539337 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The arms race has resumed, you're definitely right, and let's hope it's not all riding on the TV rights fairy coming through quickly. Counting your chickens before they hatch often doesn't end well.

Reply #539338 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's the technique of autocrats and has no place in a genuinely democratic country.
You think the law should be changed to make the Hawks' actions illegal, and the other side is being autocratic?

You're telling people they're not allowed to make moral judgments about others, and the other side has no place in a democracy?

Wow.

Reply #539339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was the Marvin task and now it the Kestleman 60/40 plan. Time is running out for everyone.

Reply #539340 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"You think the law should be changed to make the Hawks' actions illegal, and the other side is being autocratic?"

You think we shouldn't have laws?

I've got no problem with moral judgements, it's vilifying someone based on them when they're acting within the law that bothers me.

Reply #539342 | Report this post

Paul, you can be doing something legal AND unethical. It's not hard to understand why he is being vilified (and it's not a personal attack). If you know the laws are unjust, allowing him to act unethically and screw people over, why are you hiding behind "well it's the law" as an argument?

Do you think the whole VA thing was unethical?

Reply #539349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unethical for sure. Legal for sure.
Fine line and that's the point. They have gone from a semi basket financial cast to all of a sudden recruiting players that require a lot of money. Hardly seems fair nor ethical.
I wouldn't want to be on their board that's for sure.

Reply #539350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm saying the law should be changed to stop it happening again. These aren't new laws, I'm pretty sure James Spenceley had no part in creating them and I'm pretty sure he is nowhere near the first business owner to use them.

If the laws that allow it to happen were addressed we wouldn't have this issue. Until they are addressed these situations will continue to arise in situations few ever hear about. If you're worried about people being hurt, focus on the laws that could prevent it.

Reply #539351 | Report this post

Why won't you answer the question?

Reply #539353 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Which one?

Reply #539354 | Report this post

Do you think the Hawks VA situation was unethical?

Reply #539355 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a good question. Red flags certainly go up when a business owned by someone worth a decent amount goes into VA, cuts a tight deal and then comes out spending.

The owner might say this is the level of investment required to make the business viable. He has certainly been quoted as saying they need better players to get people through the doors. Not all would agree.

You can look at it by summing up if more people benefit or are hurt by the VA outcome? Does the investment that goes into the Illawarra community, and the associated benefits of having a team, outweigh what was lost in VA?

You could say if the owner walks away after a year or two and the club dies or goes into VA again that this isn't the case, and the original VA was an unethical owner just using a sports team as a toy.

If the Hawks now become a viable business and deliver benefits for the community for decades to come perhaps the VA action was for the overall good?

Of course, the nagging question remains whether the owner would have actually walked without the VA deal in his favour?

I can't give you a yes or no answer because it is a complex issue, I haven't read all the documentation and I think what happens next is important.

But it would be nice for the VA process to somehow take into account an owners' capacity to pay, not just the business'. That would lead to greater accountability of business decisions.

Reply #539360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Paul, Hawks were never ever worth "a decent amount"

The VA stuff is a cop out. Now they supposedly have money and who knows where it comes from. Don't be surprised if at seasons end it all occurs again.

Reply #539367 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was talking about the owner - "a business owned by someone worth a decent amount".

Reply #539370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money comes from the owner. He always had it. There was no need for the VA, except for the leverage it gave LK.

Reply #539372 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The money comes from the owner, who knew?

Reply #539373 | Report this post

It's wrong  
Years ago

Owner with plenty of $ goes into VA. Voids contracts and last three months of payments. Offers coach a deal he couldn't accept.( still had 2 years to run) Recruits new coach for probably more $. Asks and gets contracted players to take pay cut to sign under the impression they have limited budget. Signs a number of high quality players who one would expect would be on significant $. Not to mention the non basketball creditors. Tried to buy success last year and made terrible decisions. Illegal no.
Morally and ethically totally wrong. I would not want to work for this ?? and certainly will not be supporting this team. It once was the team for the community and based on working class values. If this team does not win JS will walk.

Reply #539384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every team apart from Townsville should expect to make the 4 this year.

Reply #539390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a crock. Itswrong sums it up far better than I.

Reply #539398 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, there's a lot of forward looking in your assessment there - easy to excuse any action with hypothetical musings. Who knows, maybe all the post-WWII angst will somehow come to mean that the planet as a whole is better off!

At the time of the VA process however, payments to creditors were clearly neglected - no need to look forward for that. I don't think the net return to a community is a factor when making an ethical judgement about an entertainment venture, of all things!

It's a bit like pushing someone from a bridge and then saying "But it might force a driver to swerve and prevent a bus from crashing and killing a class of school kids." Or even making that judgement after the fact. (That sort of thing is sometimes used as an ethics thought experiment.)

Reply #539414 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You're overthinking it Isaac. You can either go on blaming every business person who uses VA for anything other than its purest intentions for eternity, or you can tighten the rules accordingly.

It's a bit like Fed Govt ministers comparing people claiming two lots of PPL to fraud, when all they were doing was acting in accordance with the rules made by the government.

Reply #539415 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, you were responding to a different post to what I thought.

Re 'forward thinking', how can you assess an occurrence until you see what its effects are?

Reply #539416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul , spencely knew exactly what he was doing when he sent the business into VA. you seem to be defending the intent of deliberately causing financial pain to good people purely because he could.

This was a bogus VA. the creditors were seemingly manipulated and as was said above others took what they were offered in good faith thinking that it was a legit VA.

Reply #539419 | Report this post

And it strengthened Kestelmans position.

Reply #539422 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, any action influences infinite more after it. By your reasoning, how can any then judge anything?

I would tend to put greater stock in well-considered ethics than the law of the moment struggling to keep up.

Reply #539427 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, this got real esoterical right quick.

The law is not the bastion of what is ethical or appropriate. Something can be totally legal and yet morally bankrupt. I don't know the whole story, but there are elements of this that stink.

Maybe parts of it were valid and necessary restructuring, but most of that can occur without the VA. It seems more an attempt to get debt forgiveness in relation to pre-Spenceley debts which, if I recall correctly, had been guaranteed (at least in the loose sense) to be paid as part of the purchase.

Paul, it might be a great business decision that the suits can laugh about with their mates down at the club, but it reeks of very sharp practice.

Reply #539447 | Report this post

paul being a contractor isn't being in business for yourself, as a journalist what are your capital outlays? Exactly - no stock or wages on your end that need to paid to others before you get paid. I'm talking a business with assets which clearly you can't relate to. I feel for gongski and co. These big businesses will never do COD so you have to risk or else forgo turnover.

Reply #539550 | Report this post

also never forget that Spencely is just the puppet so ask yourselves who is the puppetmaster? It is Kestelmann who has been friends with Spencely for years before he bought the Hawks. LK needed a placeholder to keep the team alive to have a minimum of eight clubs and no doubt hatched the plan

Reply #539551 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754