Dunkin' Dan
Years ago

Opals-Japan Series

Worth a thread I thought, despite our superstar being out.

Starting 5 for game 1:

S. Tablot (sic)
N. Burton
S. Batkovic
T. Madgen
T. Lavey

Topic #37578 | Report this topic

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Opals win game 1 86-65 in a pretty even performance. Steph Talbot led the way with 20, 9 & 4.
14 players hit the court for Australia, which is kinda weird.

Boxscore:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/48960/13/08/33/51MraNbyjAJVk/

Reply #539382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia 86 - Japan 65

Talbot wins out in every category except blocks.
20 points
9 rebounds
4 assists
2 steals

Lavey performed well also with..
14 points
3 rebounds
4 assists
1 steal

Reply #539383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the sick love obsession end?? BJ and the minutes spread... Sickening!

Reply #539388 | Report this post

annoy  
Years ago

Lavey is delivering what the issue?Talbot such a future dominate star! Good win by the girls

Reply #539400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he/she was referring to burton?

Almost 23 minutes for 2 points, 2 rebounds and 1 steal.

Compare that to say penaluna...
13 mins, 9 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal.

Reply #539417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree #9147, Penaluna over Burton in every way

Reply #539418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many options in the post positions but he continues to go to burton.

I mean tolo, Francis, Jackson, cambage, bishop, penaluna, hodges, batkovic.
Talent that can play both ends....

Reply #539424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey is delivering! she's also getting the opportunity to do so, if he ran the others the same amount of time they would probably be delivering more.

Reply #539467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#9467 100% correct in what you are saying. If the other guards ran her time they would put up much better numbers I just cant understand why the coaching staff cant see this. Tessa over dribbled the ball again last night. She hit some beautiful 3's in her defense but her game is no where near the level it needs to be. She's a good kid, just too much exposure

Reply #539485 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"I'm baffled," four-time Olympic medallist and friend Jackson said. "I've played on that team for 20 years and nobody has ever done that"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/lauren-jackson-baffled-by-liz-cambages-opals-snubbing-20150727-gilfiz.html#ixzz3h8u5gimV

Reply #539488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie`s win, get some minutes into young players giving a chance to see which ones will become the best supoort players come Rio - FANS STILL HATING.

Seems similar to what went on with the Socceroos with everyone complaining aabout the amount of players they gave a shot to. The result was a lot more depth.

We won, yeah it wasnt great competition but I enjoyed seeing some new players last night with the thought in the back of my mind that we have some high quality stars to come in down the track.

Reply #539490 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

The series this week is meaningless. The one against NZ in a few weeks is not. It's one we need to win. And even though we still should, we go into it without Jackson, Taylor, Allen, Tolo, Phillips, Francis, Mitchell, Bishop & O'Hea, most of whom are automatic selections for the 'real' Opals team. So it's not like we need so many backup options to be getting international experience. It's nice for them I'm sure, but it would be much better for the Opals team if it more closely resembled its proper lineup.

Secondly, I'm sure you enjoyed seeing some new players but I'm pretty sure that most of those people who bought tickets to #Homecoming would rather see Cambage in action than Burton. It also doesn't look great for BA, who put Liz front & centre of the promotion for the game. They wouldn't like having her make them look silly.

Reply #539496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, they promoted her and she would have well and truely known when things were on. she chose to go and party at a festival. thats fine and it is her choice but you then have to know there will be consequences. At the same age would Jackson and taylor have done that?

As above the longer she fights this publically the more it will hurt her public image,

Reply #539501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

suits her public image just perfectly. her public image these days is socialite not athlete

Reply #539505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Lizs appearance at Splendour in the grass was so important they did not even give her a mention on the website or promotional page.

Reply #539526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tall Ferns just lost to Taiwan's B Team 77-66 at the Williams Jones Cup:
http://2015wjc.basketball-tpe.org/files/902-1008-3524-10000.php

I'm pretty sure almost every WNBL team and perhaps the Gems would beat that squad in a series.

Its kind of the problem with the Opals. There is a lot of training and non competitive games until the real stuff happens, and even then they normally aren't challenged until after the group stages in the World Champs and Olympics.

Its also amazing that Jarry will have played more games in the Opals jersey then for her club teams over the past few years. A very rare accomplishment.

Reply #539527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Lizs appearance at Splendour in the grass was so important they did not even give her a mention on the website or promotional page.

Reply #539528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of Jarry, how did she go last night?

Reply #539533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id hate to be a selector come next year...

Cambage, Jackson, Francis, tolo, bishop, batkovic, penaluna, burton vying for 5 spots?

Taylor, ohea, allen, Talbot, jarry, madgen, ebzery, kunek, blicavs, snell and maybe even griffin? vying for 4-5 spots?

Reply #539535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great position to be in. Better then putting people in just to make up numbers.

Reply #539553 | Report this post

Mel O'McKarona  
Years ago

Lavey vying for one spot :p

Reply #539561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Snell can't still be in the mix

Reply #539562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take cole over lavey.... Imo.

I'd like to see...
Phillips/Mitchell/cole
Taylor/allen
Ohea/Talbot
Francis/penaluna/tolo
Cambage/Jackson

More than likely though....
Phillips/Mitchell/lavey
Taylor/allen
Jarry/ohea
Jackson/Francis/burton
Cambage/tolo

Reply #539564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodges might still be in the mix?

Reply #539568 | Report this post

Hugh J.  
Years ago

Isn't Cole injured ATM? I went to the game last night and we were just too big and strong for them. Would only like to have their PG No 12. It was the first time I have seen Lavey play and I thought she was good? Can anyone suggest who would be better than her apart from Erin Phillips?

Reply #539605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm Mitchell...

Reply #539613 | Report this post

annoy  
Years ago

If you look at the WC Team mitchell was ahead of lavey, so thats a given, yet again the selectors need to select from who is available and those that committ to the team culture. Its pretty simple, if players and there agents feel they should just walk in that aint going to happen...

Reply #539644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Penny Taylor? She's not playing anywhere right now.

Reply #539661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was at the ESPY's looking fab recently.

https://instagram.com/p/5YPP_IpWkm/?taken-by=sbird10

Didn't make quite the same amount of news as the Liz story did.

Reply #539663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yowza!

Reply #539666 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

Penny has made herself unavailable made it clear , is taking time off to recover from injuries to prepare her body for rio, she is also not playing wnba. ... Your point

Reply #539667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I take it attending the ESPYs (when you aren't a nominee mind) is less egregious of an absence than playing concert host (whatever that means). Joyce has his standards.

Reply #539669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know who the man is in that relationship.....

Brondello...

Reply #539670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh get off it Annoy. She sprained her ankle in February and hasn't played a game of 5 on 5 since Dandy's latest magnificent meltdown. If she can't right an ankle sprain in 5 months she may as well hang it up. She doesn't want to suit up right now, it is what it is. They'll both be back for the Olympics.

Reply #539671 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

Phoenix won wnba championship hence invited

Reply #539672 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

Penny has been playing Europe and wnba back to back from some time, she has been playing for over 10 years , she is taking a year off to get her body right, she ain't playing any ball so she can prepare for rio, which is great she will be in the team. If you knew ball penny has had many major injuries in her career achieved all in the game besides gold at the Olympics, hence taking time off as this will be her last Olympics

Reply #539674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's Diana Taurasi?? She looks............different.

^^ I think Cole is injured right now too but could be wrong.

Reply #539675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The obvious differences are that:
a) Taylor made it known months ago that she was not participating in the qualifiers or the lead ups
b) Taylor never committed to being at that camp
c) Taylor never expected to play vs Japan or NZ
d) Taylor isn't sooking about missing out, or posturing ridiculously with lawyers

But other than that, yes, the Taylor comparison is totally on the money and a tremendous one to bring up in Liz's defence.
Pathetic attempt #669

Reply #539676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole is near the end or close to the end of her rehab I believe.

Reply #539677 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I saw a video a while back on the Core Advantage YouTube channel showing Bec just starting rehab mode in the gym. (among other things they mentioned that it was a "messy" tear as opposed to a clean one)
I'd imagine there is a lot of muscle rebuilding and balancing to happen before she'd be anywhere near playing or even doing serious lateral movements, so she's out of the picture for now and I'd be very surprised if she played this calendar year.

If the ACL had never happened I'd happily have her starting in this series against Japan though. I rate her. Very good all round guard.

Reply #539678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia 85 - Japan 64

Talbot again with 19p, 6r, 2a. 20 mins.
Jarry 13p, 5r, 1a. 17 mins.
Lavey 10p, 2r, 4a. 22mins.
Burton 0p, 5r, 0a. 26 mins. Enough is enough?

Reply #539821 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Nice to see Jarry back on the court.

Tough to judge Burton's game just off a boxscore.

Reply #539822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every box score in the last year?

Reply #539823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give Olivia thompson a chance...

Reply #539824 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Every box score in the last year?"

Haha... fair call.
I like Nat, but I must admit I don't understand why she is in the Opals, or even the "Opals"

Reply #539825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to prepare opals for the future.
Take smith, froling or even magbegor.

Burton is 26 now. Francis, bishop, tolo, penaluna, Blicavs(sf mainly)?are all the same age or close to.
She won't get a chance...

The next pf crop is Thompson, mijovic, smith, froling, magbegor. Focus on them...

Reply #539829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is happening to Thompson at SEABL this year? Hasn't been dominant at all?

Reply #539833 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

As far as I'm concerned the "next crop" can wait a year. Within 12 months of the Olympics it's time to assemble the best team possible.

There's already about 10 players not available for this team right now (due to injuries, recovering from injuries, WNBA commitments, music festivals, etc.) and most of them will be in the Rio team if healthy, so to assess players for the small number of remaining spots I don't think we should be casting the net too wide anymore.

Reply #539834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Dunkin Dan

Reply #539841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't think smith would out perform burton already?

Reply #539843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith is a long way off, how did she go against Russia?

Reply #539851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not good...against Russia.
All star 5 though...

Reply #539860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't had a chance to watch these 2 games although Lavey has done well in the boxscore.

It looks like if she can stroke the 3 that she is hard to guard with her speed.

Reply #539863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trouble with the box score is lavey, burton and Talbot are getting twice the minutes.

I'd like to see Blicavs, madgen and penaluna get full game.
Ebzery and kunek more minutes also.

Reply #539872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only decent competition was against Russia and not many stood up.

Reply #539873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey burton and Talbot will always get more minutes, Talbot I can understand .......

Reply #539972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot should go to rio.
Jarry or ohea as the other sf?

I pick ohea...

Reply #539973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton was terrible and I mean terrible. Lavey was really good. Talbot best player on floor by a mile.

Reply #540003 | Report this post

Dr  
Years ago

Having watched Oheas last few games for Seattle and then seeing Talbot on Wednesday night... Talbot is my pick. Granted Ohea a better shooter (although struggling majorly with this in the WNBA), but she cannot get past ANYONE off the dribble.! Soooo slow, and defensively just awful. Internationally you need to be able to compete athletically and Ohea is just nowhere near it. Lucky to be getting minutes... It's only cause her team is woeful that she gets minutes in the WNBA.. Blicavs and Talbot are the future for sure.

Reply #540176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O'Hea over 5 wnba seasons is the 5th best shooter in the history of the league. http://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/leaders/fg3_pct_career.html (so not sure if I would call that struggling majorly)

If she wasn't able to defend then she wouldn't play. Its the first thing a coach will look at. Talbot is very good, although beating up on a Japanese team and playing against the best in the world every night is a different story.

Reply #540181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For rio though.. Who do you choose? (If griffin available)
Talbot/ohea
Talbot/jarry
Talbot/griffin
Ohea/jarry
Ohea/griffin
Jarry/griffin

Blicavs and kunek are 2 other sf's that will come into frame after rio.

Reply #540186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd have to put Allen in that mix as well. I'd say Talbot is in and you have Allen as well, and Taylor.

It would be a struggle for O'Hea and Griffin who haven't been involved to date.

Reply #540188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

theyll be a lot of spots open soon...
Can't see Jackson, Taylor, batkovic, hodges, Phillips, Mitchell, snell playing for opals much longer..

We don't have An abundance of good quality, experienced pg's coming through.
Cole, lavey, Clydesdale, Wallace and panousis look like the next crop.

Still have Francis, tolo, bishop, cambage, penaluna, burton, bunton, mijovic to choose from in the bigs department. All of which are aged between 21 and 26. Still some mileage on these girls.

Talbot, Blicavs, jarry, kunek and garbin maybe will all be after that sf spot.
Ebzery, madgen, cumming, Garrick and a few others after the sg spot.

Reply #540190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah allen will play behind Taylor as a sg like at the world champs.

Reply #540192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need an sg or sf who can play the 1 if necessary so we don't have to take 3 pg's.

Wallace is the only descent 1-2 coming through. Clydesdale maybe in the future if she can shoot better from the perimeter.
Madgen, ebzery can play 1.. But not very well atm.

Reply #540194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace may have been OK against those weaker teams at Un19s but she struggled against Russia big time and Spains guards outplayed her, Panousis has a very limited game, neither are ready for the next leap and you wouldn't even be considering them just yet if you were a coach with any sense.
In a few more years maybe, but then their will be others coming through who will possibly overtake them then.
Focus on what's ready now as by the time these ones are coming through their will be a different coach who will look at players in a different light yet again.

Reply #540197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would over take them out of... (College to u16)
Pirini, Nakkasoglu, Mckenzie, stirton, wehrung, trinder, antoniadou, Deakin sharpe, delcastegne, Yaegar, rocci, Molloy, Cubillo, Shelley, white, heal?

Who else?

Reply #540205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See my best starting 5 is Mitchell, Phillips, Taylor, Francis and Liz.

Allen, Tolo, Talbot, and up for grabs for the rest.

Reply #540210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phillips
Taylor
Talbot
Francis
Cambage

Mitchell the better form but can't play defence.

Reply #540211 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Mijovic lazy defence. Tolo Tolo Tolo. Can't wait to see her play again, one of my faves

Reply #540213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying that someone that plays 20+ minutes a game in the Wnba can't play defense is incorrect as it just doesn't happen.

The biggest drawcard in the league Shoni can't get minutes due to lack of defense.

Reply #540214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #540205

re: Opals-Japan Series

Who would over take them out of... (College to u16)
Pirini, Nakkasoglu, Mckenzie, stirton, wehrung, trinder, antoniadou, Deakin sharpe, delcastegne, Yaegar, rocci, Molloy, Cubillo, Shelley, white, heal?

Who else?

four years is a long time so could be a few of those but my bets for now would be Wherung, Antoniadou, Rocci, Shelley and Heal out of that list would be strong contenders, Wherung and Antoniadou the strongest.But as I said four years is a long time and being realistic thats how long its going to be before they will really be looking at having a big impact in a national team.
With Lavey, Ebzery, Cole,Garrick and Clydsdale all still young enough to keep going in the 1/2 spots for another several years, baring injury taking them out of contention if Joyce is still coaching then this lot are there

Reply #540243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't ignore the likes of Casey Samuels,or Alex Wilson when discussing players of the future.

Reply #540254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was only PG/SG that was mentioned but yes your absolutely right, so many good players out there that perhaps have yet to peak and some who have peaked and will not continue to develop and some are yet to be recognised by current coaching staff for what ever reason. 4 years is a long time in basketball anything can happen so to speculate now who will definitely be their then is silly.

Reply #540322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

silly is an understatement, this thread has become ludicrous and doesn't even display a base understanding of currently available talent let alone have any hope of forming a view on how players will develop.

Reply #540328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost against Japan...
76-75

Reply #540449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fire Joyce in the morning. He's had his chance:-)

Reply #540450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And once again he uses one player 29 mins in the pg spot the other 5 that can play that position don't even accumulate that amount all together, why on earth does he bother!

Reply #540476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the centre spot.

Reply #540478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By giving them more minutes to accumulate stats makes them look like better players at first glance when infact they play 2/3 less minutes.

1 rebound for a centre in 26 mins against a team who's centre is what 6'1?

Average height of japans squad is 5'9.

Reply #540494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he uses one player 29 mins in the pg spot..."

LOVE IS BLIND

seriously, this is getting a bit worrying now

Reply #540495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'5 batkovic (didn't play)
6'4 burton
6'4 penaluna
6'3 hodges
6'3 Blicavs
6'2 kunek
6'2 Talbot
5'11 madgen
5'11 snell
5'10 ebzery
5'10 Garrick
5'10 Clydesdale
5'7 Wilson
5'7 lavey

Japan move the ball well and they shoot well.
But they shot worse than us overall...
And they had the same rebound count as us? How?

Reply #540496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His just making up for the time she didn't get in the wnbl as the 3rd string pg?

Don't get me wrong ... Shes a great player but maybe a few years off a full time opals spot....

Throw madgen, ebzery at the one for a while and see what they can do.
Cole should definateley replace lavey in the short term.

Reply #540497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio is a huge worry right now!!

Reply #540544 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Why is Rio a huge worry right now?
I don't see it that way at all. Despite the issues at the 1 & 2, which we have seen coming for years, I still think we're as good a chance for silver as anyone.

Reply #540563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

really with Lavey at the helm because that's how its going to be.

Reply #540570 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

You really think Lavey is going to be in front of Leilani & Erin in the rotation?

Reply #540574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone listen to Joyces interview with Basketball Australia.....he goes on about how he has 14 players and he has to rotate them all to give them minutes so they can show what they can do, and how it would have been easier if he only had say 9 to give good minutes"
He obviously doesn't look at stats lol

Reply #540597 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

Lavey and Talbot are being groomed there is no way Lavey is ahead of Philips or Mitchell, Joyce is establishing depth for past rio. Work it people it's called development I really wonder about the iq of some people

Reply #540638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listen Einstein..People know it is development. what they don't know why Lavey? an ordinary payer by all accounts

Reply #540640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would people agree that this is our best possible side?

Phillips/Mitchell/cole
Taylor/allen
Ohea/Talbot
Francis/tolo/penaluna
Cambage/Jackson

Maybe bishop for penaluna but she hasn't showed much so far in the wnba.
And penaluna adds a bit more length, height, blocks and better shooter.

Reply #540664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look into the BA's URL below

http://www.basketball.net.au/opals-complete-sweep-japan-oceania-championship-warm-series/

a "Wishful Linking" ? LOL

Reply #540696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha! well spotted

Reply #540724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't blame them much..Australia loosing to Japan in Australia wasn't a possibility until now

Reply #540771 | Report this post

Hugh J.  
Years ago

Hopefully Cambage has learnt from her mistake and can comeback better for the experience.Who the hell is giving her advice? If she had have taken BA to court and won(most unlikely) BJ would have left her on the bench - where she belongs until she shows 100% committment. I agree that we can win silver at Rio - so much much talent to come back into the team and also so much talent coming thru the Junior teams - talent pool is awesome - go OPALS.

Reply #540819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia and Spain have equal talent.
Canada will be right up their to.

Silver or bronze. Usa to win gold.

Reply #540821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage denied reinstatement.

Reply #540989 | Report this post

boo hoo  
Years ago

Reply #541012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754