Anonymous
Years ago

KB Shafted by Central Districts

The story speaks for itself.... Those who know KB personally know he is phenomenal guy and coach. He will go onto bigger things I am sure. Amazing he stuck with them for 3 yrs only be told right before a game he was going to get dismissed.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/north-northeast/adelaide-36ers-great-kevin-brooks-slams-state-league-basketball-club-central-districts-for-lack-of-respect/story-fni9ll1r-1227458761786

Topic #37583 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

583, thanks for putting forward your opinion, because at the end of the day, that's all it is.

Much more to this than you know.

Reply #539423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do tell...

Reply #539430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shafted how?

How much was he getting paid? How many hours per week was he putting in?

How is he a phenomenal coach?

Not posting to have a go actually interested in the answers.

Reply #539441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was he a good people person? Did he engage in the team community as coaches do? Was he connected to the Junior program? Not posting to have a go, just interested in the story. He may suit another team, I saw the Tigers job come up.

Reply #539448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Was he a good people person? Did he engage in the team community as coaches do? Was he connected to the Junior program? Not posting to have a go, just interested in the story. He may suit another team, I saw the Tigers job come up."

These just look like leading questions and casting dispersions on this character.

Yes he is a great person in answer to your question. From the article I would question the ethics of the Club President mentioned, it doesn't seem to have been very ethically handled at all with mismanagement at every step if the article is true, and we have no reason to disbelieve it.

My understanding he has had a huge impact on basketball out there through his roles at the starplex and the college, as well as work with Centrals assisting their JDO. He took on a team that no one else wanted for the club and stuck it out for 3 years for what is a pittance for someone like him.

Conversation before the West game, before he coaches seems just totally inappropriate. I don't blame for reacting as he has.

Why should he go to another club? He has been dedicated to the community out there for almost 10 years and clearly delivered. Just look at their results in recent weeks and the club overall. That seems pretty dismissive of what he has done. Oh, a person on the committee doesn't like you despite all your sacrifices, why not just go. Who would want to contribute to that environment is beyond me?

Reply #539508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quoting a poster from the Advertiser website:

james
13 hours ago

Once again a poor decision by the centrals committee not only is it going to set the women's program back even further then before but once again, it will or already has made the club look like a joke and god knows how we will attract players to the junior program.

It is a massive lack of respect to him the coaching staff and the 'TEAM'!, that they wanted to terminate a coach and bring in a interim coach before the July 10th match against West Adelaide.

Considering there was no breach of his contract which was up for re-newal at the end of season anyway? (honestly could have had waited till after the match to inform KB of the clubs impending decision !), that would have been slightly better.....

Personally if I was told may coach was been removed before I was about to play, I would have gone to the same extreme as the girls were considering.

None the less massive respect to them for their loyalty and commitment to each other and coach, its not just a team after awhile it becomes a second family and for lack of better reasoning ripping it to pieces was the solution to improving the situation... what ever that is/was?

To some (un-informed), observers may look at the ladder and say " well they aren't winning many games it's a lack of performance issue", but that doesn't show all the close games that were only decided by a matter of a few points, despite this since KB has taken over a job that no one else wanted to "stain their resume' with", he and his coaching staff took the challenge head on and turned around what was for years a very weak program that for one season didn't even field a team in the regular ABA season, into a program that was professional, competitive had structure and a promising future with players and coaches committed to a common goal of improving and becoming the best they could be.

But now that lost due to a chain of poor choices and lack of better judgment by club officials, and now centrals will be seen as a joke and will suffer from this well into the future.

He was probably one of if not the best coach they have had in the women's program for the better part of 10 years, a coach who has one of the best resume's in the state league when it comes to experience both as a player and a coach I personally couldn't see other clubs not fighting each other to get his services next season and personally I would be doing everything in my power to keep him on board!

Out of all this unfortunately the people who loose out on this are the current and future players at the club that could have gained from the experience and knowledge that KB possesses.

I wish the best of luck to KB, and the girls in their basketball careers.

Reply #539511 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

there is always 2 sides to a story. looks like 1 side is takig the higher road.

Reply #539512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The higher road? Probably already took the low road by how they handled this, but yes there would be another side to the story, no one normally gets the sack for doing a fantastic job.

Reply #539521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds like someones Daughter didn't get enough minutes

Reply #539522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume you're referring to the girls junior program and not the boys surely?

Reply #539523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding why the club wanted to terminate Kb is the very weak argument using the excuse of "we are concerned that the numbers are low in the squad", as a means of terminating KB's contract, when the squad numbers are low due to 1. injury 2. players not abiding by team rules stated in their players contract 3. lack of commitment and just simply quitting because they don't get their way.

The only reason you would go to the extreme of sacking coach before his contract is up would be because said contract was breached severely!!!!!!!,

Currently nothing has been mention on this in any thread anywhere that KB had breached his contract in any way that would call for such a drastic measure and right before a game what sort of shit is that?? not cool at all especially for the players that would completely mess with your mindset before the game!!!!

NO RESPECT SHOWN FOR THE COACH!!!
NO RESPECT SHOWN TO THE STAFF!!!
NO RESPECT SHOWN TO THE PLAYERS!!

Where's Aretha Franklin when you need her cue song!.

And no one come on here and say its a lack of commitment, because 36ers was a priority, well duh! its his job, don't think ABA coaches salary quite pays the bills in this country, I think he managed it quite well and that's why there's assistant coaches who knew the program to help, if that was a problem then maybe the club should have looked at hiring someone else? but they knew full well his other commitments so that cannot seriously be used as grounds for termination either.

For what he probably got paid and the effort and running around he done for that club they should be very thankful!!!!!!

I'm sure other clubs have encountered similar problems and didn't go about beheading the coach for something that's not completely in his control, you cant prevent injury you can't make people stay and play and you can only discipline a player(s) so much till it gets to the point of " sorry your services are no longer required", because you have a whole team to worry about then just one player(s) desire to have their ego filled. (greater good).

You cannot compromise the integrity of your programs rules and guidelines to try and keep a few people happy because that will simply upset other participants, I believe that is called double standards???

I think for too long players used to dictate how the women's team was run and obviously for years that resulted in some pretty poor efforts.

KB comes in establishes a program and those use to getting what they want which probably goes all the way back to their days as juniors weren't happy with the new status quo and by rights should have considered themselves very privileged for been in the squad because at most other clubs they would probably be lucky to make div 3!

( And its a seniors program but still!! we have mummies and daddies going around meddling with something that frankly isn't their business anymore) the blight of every club no doubt!

And yes maybe what the committee and club president done wasn't the best move, maybe they were feed with un-reliable and 'bias' information from self interested parties regarding what was happening within the inner workings of the team? who knows ....who knows? but this has now lead to the train wreck it is and what will probably be the hottest topic in SA basketball leading up to finals this year.

Seriously how stupid do you look sacking the 36ers current assistant coach, i mean it takes some pretty big balls to make that move I will give them that.

Good luck to centrals getting anyone to fill that role next season with the knowledge of what happened to the last coach specially someone like KB, no high profile coach or players are going to want to head up north next season like how good was it for a club that for years struggled and to get someone with such a CV to then piss it away so flippantly into the wind.

What Club wouldn't want to have and KEEP! such people at their club it could someone like KB or Brett Maher, Andrew Gaze, Andrew Bogut, Patty Mills, Steph Curry! to a extreme lets throw MICHAEL JORDAN! what great mentors they would all be amongst senior and junior programs at any club!

KB's treatment is well below what he deserved or any coach for that matter and I'm not saying he is a God and should be bowed to and respected simply because of all his achievements and where he has come from, no

but respected for taking on a team that faced some pretty big challenges a team that no one else would take on and the pure fact he loves basketball, has a world of knowledge and unlike many players who share similar experiences, he was one willing and prepared to spend his time and share with others what he knew about the game of basketball that he and others love so much!

Its a shame really, the team was looking good next season might just have produced a finals appearance with the solid base they now have established it could only get better!

"Rome wasn't built in a day but it sure can be burnt down in one!".

SEMPER FI KB!

Reply #539600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying I agree with the decision or they way it was handled, but wait a minute....

Was KB an assistant at the Sixers before joining the women's group?

Seriously why are people mentioning the junior program? From what I know KB has put in very little time into those group.

Club should be thankful for KB? There are plenty of coaches and other club volunteers who do more running around and been at the club a lot longer than KB and oh yeah haven't been paid a cent for their time. Why should the club be so thankful to him???

Hahahs to an extreme cause curry wasn't an extreme already!

Not saying he's a god? Ok so can you direct me to all the other posts you have made about other coaches that have been mistreated in the past?

Reply #539616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly a lot of detail in this last post from someone that seems to be very much on the inner sanctum (an assistant, support staff or player maybe??). The great thing about the media and this forum is it does hold people accountable. Nathan even seems to proudly state what happened, which in most peoples eyes is pretty poor form. Too often this kind of treatment is swept under the carpet.

I'd be fascinated to see the Centrals committee defend the indefensible treatment of one of the game's greats.

From the outside looking it in it seems that the biggest problem is that non-basketball people are too involved in basketball decisions. They need to focus on what they are there for and what they have the capabilities to do.

Reply #539617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he's paid and has a contract then go for the wrongful dismissal. That will give a definitive answer.

Reply #539638 | Report this post

Hogwash 84  
Years ago

Anonymous, they are no one from the inner sanctum, I can assure you of that. Just one of many that are not happy with what has happened and is about to happen.

What they have posted only glosses over what has taken place, and the circumstances that have lead to this mess.

Reply #539639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going to have a guess that #600 may be KB himself.

Reply #539640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

638 how can he go for wrongful dismissal? did you even bother to read the article? He's seeing out his contract. You can't go for wrongful dismissal because you reach the end of your contract!

Reply #539641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, it's not wrongful dismissal.

Just a complete and utter botchup that shows a lack of respect and tact.

The President tells a coach right before a premier league game that we are meeting tomorrow to sack you. Then they meet and decide to keep him.... ummmmmmm.......

Who is the President anyway and what is his basketball background to make such a call on KB without the support of his committee??

Then when interviewed for this article it appears there is no acknowledgement whatsoever of his efforts in taking a team no one else wanted and turning them into a competitive unit this year. The President seems to have messed it up, now just help this NBL Great and 36er legend leave with some dignity and respect that he deserves for all he has done out there over the past 10 or so years.

Reply #539645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um...weren't competitve the last 3 years.

But yes very poorly handled by the club.

Welcome to basketball where parents manage volunteers.

Reply #539652 | Report this post

Hogwash 84  
Years ago

Anonymous # 640 wrong, so wrong

Reply #539653 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Looks like to me that the committee was not going to renew KB's contract for an undisclosed reason. Telling him that just before a game is a bit like telling someone they're getting retrenched while they're in the dunny.

There's a proper procedure to follow and some would argue it wasn't followed.

Should he have been given the boot? Always two sides to the story, but sounds like we may not hear them.

I guess if people think KB was unfairly shafted by the committee, they could always put up their hand

Reply #539659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals do have a bit of history in this area. Jantke was given the boot despite building the junior program from the bottom of the barrell to one which is now seeing it's rewards amongst the mid-older age groups. It will be interesting to see if the groups since he has left (12s/10s) will remain such highly competitive groups.

Reply #539704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There have been other people that have helped with Centrals junior programs.

Reply #539803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct 803, who could 704 possibly be?

Reply #539817 | Report this post

GoLions  
Years ago

This is my only comment here.

I was hoping my name wouldn't be associated with this mess as my time at Centrals is well and truly in the past, with some great memories, lifelong friendships and ongoing working relationships established there.

I'm proud that 2 of the stronger clubs in South Australia at the moment are Centrals and, as always, Sturt (that is not to discount any others I'm sure other clubs would/could claim to be strong too).

It is obvious that the Lions could not have built from where they were without the hardwork of so many in that community and a fair bit of luck too. For someone to cast dispersions that I would state otherwise is just ridiculous. It just isn't accurate, it was a team effort by quite a few great people associated with Centrals, STARplex AND Trinity College.

The Lions have also clearly moved on too from my time, they have gone from strength to strength. The club is one of the strongest boys clubs in South Australia and has an ever increasing number of locally based girls joining which is great for the game in the region and sustainability of Centrals.

Leading the junior boys part of the club for a period of great growth and development was privilege but I was more than happy to hand the role on. I had even successfully begged the club to advertise to find a replacement a couple of years prior to me leaving the role which they did, but with only two applicants (me and some guy from Iceland or something) for the boys role I stayed on.

So, 704, I was not booted out from the JDO role either, after my time I stayed on for a while working in the junior program. I moved on 100% by choice as I felt that a club of Centrals burgeoning size was best run by a fulltime professional JDO working at STARplex too. If you want to know any details about anything else just contact me, better to get your facts right first.

Reply #539881 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754