Curtley
Years ago

Delly back in Cleveland for 1 yr, $1.2M

On that type of money he could buy a caravan park in Wodonga.

http://www.fearthesword.com/2015/7/27/9047699/report-matthew-dellavedova-re-signs-with-cleveland-cavaliers-on-one

Topic #37587 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or buy an entire NBL team.

Reply #539431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but but but he was holding out for 4 mil

Reply #539433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And only 1 yr.

Reply #539434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many players in the AFL would love to get a deal like that, seriously?
Good on him.

Reply #539435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will become a. Unrestricted free agent after the one year???

Reply #539438 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I see they are speculating that they are banking on the money opening up the following year and getting some of that. Shame he could not get a multi considering they brought in Mo. Anyway he will his butt if like usual and hopefully it get rewarded.

Reply #539439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Now just needs to play well for 82 games so a team will offer him a contract. Very brave of him to back himself getting paid next season by taking the qualifying offer. I guess that Portland offer didn't end up coming.

NBL teams should start saving up now

Reply #539440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got no looks so he had to take offer. Short of injuries he won't play much so he'll be a 3 string PG free agent next year and will likely get thr minimum or be in Europe.

After his finals performance to get no looks doesn't bode well for the future, best of luck to him as we know he'll keep working hard and taking each chance he gets.

Reply #539446 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Not sure he will get the opportunity to prove he is worth a bigger deal at the Cavs unless injuries occur to Mo or Kyrie.
But he could get a ring so good luck to him.

Surprised Philli didn't offer him more, they need a steady PG and he would have had a chance to show how good he is.

Reply #539451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those injuries are highly likely.

Reply #539452 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Kyrie will miss around 20 games, so he'll get a chance there. He'll get a chance at times at the 2 spot as well.

Reply #539460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will make it the third year in a row that he is not going to get much of an opportunity. . . . except he keeps getting an opportunity.
I'm just wondering how all you NBA scouts, coaches and General Managers that know so much about the workings of the NBA get the time to post on here.

Reply #539466 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Might not sound like a alot but its in US dollars and doesnt include endorsements.

Reply #539469 | Report this post

I doesn't sound like a lot in comparison to what other players make, not in comparison to the Aussie dollar.

Reply #539471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can keep talking up how he keeps getting a opportunity, third undrafted player to score 20 in a finals series blah blah blah.

In the end the NBA, not just all the 'haters' (aka those who aren't blinded by the fact that he's Australian which most people on here seem to think his 7 points and 3 assists makes him worth a multi-year multi-million dollar contract) has shown he's a third string point guard worth the minimum.

Stop defending him now

Reply #539476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is worth what he can get, he got 1.2m

Reply #539478 | Report this post

Chi  
Years ago

Would have been nice to get a bit more but I'm happy he's still at Cleveland. As others have said, don't know if he'll get much of an opportunity to try an earn a better contract next time but I think he's still in a good spot, with a team that knows his value and should be there in the finals

Reply #539479 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Stop defending him now"

The rhetoric on here about Delly has gotten stupid.

People hating on him and acting like those that say he's worth more than the 1.7% of the salary cap he's getting think he's the new Jordan.

He wasn't worth $4m per season this year, but given the cap spike over the next couple of seasons, could easily be worth that soon. And as far as negotiating, that higher figure is a good starting point. MANY players got overpaid this off season based on the coming cap spike.

I believe he's worth more than minimum. That's not me saying I think hes a max player like so many idiots keep insinuating whenever anybody "defends" Delly.

Reply #539483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's "worth" the minimum.

If the minimum jumps to $4 million then I have no problem with him getting that money.

Until then, he can bring the ball up the court looking like the hunchback of Notre dame for his measly 1.2 million.

Reply #539484 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

lol at the haters. Glad he's back with the Cavs (Bias here tho) I think he will get more court time than people think, Mo is on the downside and Delly's number will be called at the 1 and 2 spot depending on matchups I would say.

Reply #539486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really don't see how it's hating to point out that someone isn't that good at the level they're playing.

Lebron haters are idiots, guys the best player in the world by far.
Pointing out Delly averages 7 and 3 and can't score inside the three point line is just factual. If he was American you'd think he was shit, but he's Australian so it's perfectly okay to be a scrub.

He's a minimum player. None of you can change that.

Reply #539491 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Truth is, Delly barely improved this season to his rookie season in any stat bar his 3pt%. Still isn't a good playmaker, still doesn't shoot well, still looks like a better defender than he is because he fouls to stop fast breaks and can't stay in front of many people.

Yes he had some great playoff games no doubt, but a team isn't going to pay anyone big money to sit on the bench all year just in case their starting point guard goes down again.

He'll probably get 10 minutes a game, but is he going to be able to impress any of the 29 other teams enough in that time to get paid?

Maybe he deserved a little more, but the fact he only got the minimum isn't exactly mind blowing either.

Reply #539494 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

He was a rotation player in a team that went to 6 games in the finals. He was extended the qualifying offer, restricting his free agency showing that his team wanted to make sure they could keep him. That shows they believe he is better than what they could get from anyone they'd pay the minimum to on make good contracts.

He has his faults, but he knows his role and, his club at least, values that role.

Restricted free agency is tough these days.

Was Greg Monroe "worth" only the qualifying offer he signed last season? Now on a max deal is he now "worth" 4 times as much?

Reply #539495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players bet on themselves to get bigger contracts all the time. Moose did it, jimmy butler did it. The difference between those guys and Delly is that a lot of teams are interested in players of their calibre, and they're starting players who get a ton of opportunity to show they're worth those big contracts.

Delly won't have those chances, and it was incredibly risky for him to sign the offer sheet of his goal is to try and prove he's worth big money at the end of the year (if that's why he signed it). If he signed it because nothing better was coming, then he really should have pushed for a couple of years at 1.5- 2 million. Better than the no contracts he could get offered if he does nothing of note this year

Reply #539499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"measly 1.2 Million".
You knob. Obviously earning way more than that.
Oh... and playing in the NBA I bet.

He is there, about 0.0001% of the worlds basketball players get to the NBA and he's earning 3+ times what our prime minister earns.
Whether he's a star or not, I would trade places with him any time.

Reply #539506 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

On a different note I think the players union will be going all out to get rid of restricted free agency when the current BA expires.

It seems to screw over a lot of players, usually the average to good ones. The great ones just get max offers anyway, ie Jimmy Butler

It just stops teams from even trying to get RFA players from other teams and then some teams just wait until there RFA don't have any other option but to take the offer they give them or take a 1 year deal to be UFA.

Reply #539507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cavs only gave him 1yr at $1.2 man they are haters! This is much more inline with his worth, neither side can be upset with this realistically.

Reply #539513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Report was just released by ESPN analysts that said Cavs got him cheap and he is worth much more. They said that Portland wanted him but Delly wants to stay in Cleveland.

Reply #539539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Until then, he can bring the ball up the court looking like the hunchback of Notre dame for his measly 1.2 million."

loooooooooooooooooool

Reply #539542 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Good luck, well done and all the best to a country Victorian lad who is a proven winner, who displays the effort and intensity in his game that every player in the NBA dreams they can do and has always shown respect for his family, his country and his team mates...

Yes, it will be another year of 'Peanut Butter Delly Time' and I for one am looking forward to it!

Reply #539545 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Notice I didn't even mention the impending 'Beast Mode' (go you good thing)...

:)

Reply #539546 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Cleveland should have given him 2 mill. Shown him they appreciated his efforts in the finals. 1.2 is good dough but they should have shown a little more respect! What's 0.8 mill to them? Poor form!!

Def not 4 mill but a tad more than the minimum.

Reply #539555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously getting more money than THE CONTRACT HE SIGNED? Ah no

Reply #539563 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

actually 0.8m to them is quite a lot more than 0.8m because of the luxury tax.

Reply #539578 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Delly isn't the player who has caused their luxury tax issue though, he is only a pimple on that butt!

Reply #539579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trading Hayward and miller cleared their luxury tax from 32 million to 4 million. That extra 0.8 million might have made them pay a bit of luxury tax but barely anything compared to pre-Hayward contract dump tax situation

Reply #539583 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Tax no problem next season with the cap expansion. Delly forging good relationships.

Reply #539586 | Report this post

Compared to all his team mates salaries, Delly is in Least Mode.

Reply #539588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It shows Cavs and other NBA teams doesn't appreciate a defensive minded player like Delly unless they are in a desperate situation due to injuries.

Delly need to adapt the selfish mindset like most NBA players, looking to score every time they get the ball take a leaf from Patty. Then at least his stats will get nba teams attention with confidence he a can be a solid consistent scorer.

Reply #539621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or it shows that 30 clubs saw him as a fluke and didn't think he was worth more than the minimum. But don't take my word for it, take the fact that the Cavs wouldn't budge on paying him more than the minimum and he got a grand total of zero offers.

Reply #539625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly shooting more is a sure fire way to end up in the NBL next season. His playoff shooting stats were horrible.

Reply #539630 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Helping his side eliminate Chicago & do some decent stuff after this should have got something. Delly is on the same contract as Bairstow for christ sake!

2 mill was a good no. for mine!!

Reply #539648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

630, what about his regular season stats?

Reply #539654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40% 3 point shooting making one a game, less than 40% field goal percentage, averaged 5 points a game I think. Maybe 7. Not horrible but not good either. His floaters probably put 10 teams off by itself

Reply #539658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the guy making more than an entire NBL team combined is just one bad season away from joining their ranks. People who think the fringe of the NBA is anywhere near the upper levels of NBL need their head examined. The odd American import who is fringe NBA level shows up because we speak English and NBL teams are desperate enough to give them 40-50% of the salary cap. It is hardly the strength of the NBL that attracts them. There are about ten European leagues and many hundreds of thousands of dollars between Delly and the NBL should he find himself out of the NBA.

Reply #539680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If motum makes the Jazz he'd roughly be on a million and it's not like he tore the league apart.

A team also has to want a no-offensive-game having, slightly-above-average defending, in-the-hospital-after-two-games-of-normal-for-someone-remotely-good-amount-of-minutes-in-a-row playing, minimum contract hamster-man.

I got the feeling even the Cavs wouldn't be upset if he didn't resign with them. A team throwing that much money around couldn't find two million anywhere? If they truly thought he wasn't replaceable they'd have paid the luxury tax no worries.

We'll see where he ends up because it won't be the NBA after this season

Reply #539685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Average 21 mins a game for 3.2 points, 34% shooting from field . done well the get what he has so far

Reply #539690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only a moron will choose to base his whole argument on statistics! Too many moronic statements here. If you watched him play you would understand his value to the team.

Reply #539695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh i watched him play :)

Reply #539697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taaaaalllll poooooopppppyyyy!!!!!

Reply #539745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched him play and know his value to the team.

A contract where he gets paid the absolute minimum amount a team can pay him

Reply #539748 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"There are about ten European leagues and many hundreds of thousands of dollars between Delly and the NBL should he find himself out of the NBA."

Delly has far greater currency here than he does in Europe, where he would be looked at as a mid-level international PG. I think he would get some offers there too, but for an NBL club he would be a valuable marketing tool potentially worth spending big on.

Reply #539752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754