Samuel
Years ago

Maynard and Sobey leaving the Marlins

Why are these two not playing Marlins anymore?? I find that very unprofessional and in my opinion shows the character of these two.
They committed to play for the Marlins and walk away after signing new NBL contracts somewhere else.
The Marlins are a very good program and have been for years.
What a joke. If you two are reading this you should be embarrassed. Thats the basketball world you guys live in and when you sign and commit to a team play the season out.
All you guys are worried about are yourself and not your teammates you left behind
Selfish
Selfish
Selfish

Topic #37589 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The probably need to sort our leaving arrangements in their new cities a report for pre season training.

Reply #539454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't Maynard cut by Cairns? And now he'd need to report for pre-season x days/week in another city?

Reply #539455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the guys that play for Cairns in the NBL are 'required' to play for the Marlins also, hence if you sign somewhere else, this no longer becomes a priority and the team you sign with does. The Crocs and Sixers will be starting to get their pre-season training started and as such, these contracted players would be required by their NBL teams as a part of the deal by a certain date.
Think clearly before trying to defame two quality young players on a public forum, or you may find it very hard to get guys to play for the Marlins in the future.
Go kick rocks somewhere.

Reply #539456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In most instances they have to leave because the NBL teams demand that they are part of the pre-season. Do not be so hard on them Samuel ... I agree it can be very upsetting when good players leave when the season is still on. Same in SEABL ... just ask some of the teams who have got into the semi finals just to find they no longer had their best players. Maybe one of the reason why some of the SEABL clubs no longer are recruiting current NBL players but going for players which can commit to the full season.

Reply #539457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks more like the Cairns NBL team has bought this onto the Cairns QBL team.

Go throw rocks through their window mate. If your program insists they stay in town and play QBL, maybe you shouldn't then go and cut them.

Reply #539468 | Report this post

Run and Gun  
Years ago

@Isaac He wasn't cut. The Taipans offered him a new re-structured 2 year deal but he asked for a release instead and chose to go elsewhere in search of more opportunity

Reply #539473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure that shows Corey's true character more than this does http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/cairns-taipan-rookie-corey-maynard-helps-little-fan-doing-it-tough/story-fnjpusyw-1227212855711

Reply #539474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Run and gun.

Tearing up someone's contract after asking them to change their contract is the same as cutting them.

Reply #539475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Corey personally and you couldn't meet a better person. Maybe the club should look at itself and it's processes. From what I understand he signed with the Taipans with promises of time and development and then never received what was promised.

Samuel loyalty cuts two ways and clubs will cut you as quick as looking at you if in their opinion it will mean a few more wins, I don't see why you get so wound up when players are simply looking after their own careers in what is a very limited window.

Reply #539481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has he signed btw?

Reply #539482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns screwed him from an outside perspective... never played him. Wish him all the best at the Crocs. No way a young guy would sign in cairns to ride the pine unless he was a local kid.

Reply #539509 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sobey to Adelaide, Maynard to Townsville.

Reply #539517 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

talk about being a harsh judge..... give the kids a break. They got offered $$ and more opportunity elsewhere.

You can't pay your bills with goodwill and i'm sure the Marlins were well aware of the possibility that it could happen.

I wish them all the luck in the world.

Reply #539530 | Report this post

OrangeArmy  
Years ago

WTF !!! Totally uncalled for and unsubstantiated - the original post and subsequent expert commentary.

Sobey got an 11th man deal as injury cover. 36ers asked Fearne about him and offered him a roster spot which Cairns couldnt guarantee and he went with their blessing. Player development and opportunitt are paramount for the Cairns program. Good on ya Sobes, will see you cutting up the pine.

Corey is a top bloke and he asked for his 2nd year option to be cut. Being part of a successful program means he can ask for a bit more and the Crics obliged. The young team there means Corey has more minutes and a leadership role. Is he ready ? Up to him, but he wont die without trying. Fact is, he is behind an import pg, gliddon and bruce. Crocs he is up the pecking order.

Good luck to them both and I will enjoy catching up with 2 marvellous young men when they visit Cairns as part of their new NBL career opportunities.

Reply #539544 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Also nobody's bothered to mention yet that Corey was injured for a significant part of last season (finger?) and lost minutes because of it.

Wish them both the best of luck. Unless they're playing the Taipans of course.

Reply #539643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Orangearmy. Samuel you are way out of line mate.

Reply #539684 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Perfect OrangeAmry, here here.

Reply #539768 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754