Not happy Jan
Years ago

Premier League Refs

After the reffing I witnessed last night I have no faith that we will ever see a success for Premier League again until it is addressed. Time for people to start cutting clips from games to compare calls and put them out in a public forum for review. Its killing the game and crowd, too hard to watch and incredibly frustrating for players. So hard to watch the unbelievable inconsistencies for each ref let alone between them. Time to ask the question if anyone ever reviews game tapes and demand a better service from these employees and set some performance indicators attached to penalties and employment conditions. It is appalling and killing the Premier League product. People want to see a fair fight with consistent calls and a deserving winner and I say this not in spite but for the good of the game and survival of this league and clubs who allow their junior programs to suffer because of it. Time to get it out there for public review and pressure BSA to sort it out and fix it or bring in some new blood with fresh eyes.

Topic #37624 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

? Vs ?, M/F?
(I'm being as unspecific as possible, in keeping in ,one with OPs theme).

DETAILS!!! Who, what, where, when, why?

Reply #540717 | Report this post

Years ago

Tough gig being a ref - IMO - accross all levels they could do with some older wiser heads that know how to interpret / manage people and the game.

Reply #540732 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I remember when all senior games were played on one night and at one venue, meant that referee coaches watched all refs on the same night, and often other refs watched as well. the formal and informal peer and coaching reviews and feed back was extremely powerful in at least ensuring max effort was given to all gamesand getting a discussion going on what were good and bad calls

The more outrageous behaviour of some officials were immediately moderated

Reply #540736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the game and played juniors for years but never was tall enough nor good enough to continue playing. But the last thing Id ever consider is reffing, there is a pack mob mentality with the fans and I doubt the training is adequate for these refs. Its not great level at NBL level, so probably just be happy there are poor souls willing to do it at all... sure as hell wouldnt be paid much.

Reply #540750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Mike Gibson doing with all the videos of games he receives from clubs as part of BSA requirements. If they are not being used why are we needing to send them?

Reply #540811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know of one coach who has sent in clips but won't bother now as he either doesn't hear back or does 3-4 weeks after the event. The frustration with the refs is league wide.

Reply #540833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this really surprise anyone?

The number of rookie referees assigned to games this season was large, most with limited experience and ability.

We are talking about referees who cannot seem to control or referee well on Division 3 senior games, or U16/18 junior games.

Gibson is all about just getting the boxes ticked on paper to make it look like he is doing a good job. Pushing referees through accreditation courses without proper structure or testing, and dumping them on games way above their ability.

You ask the senior refs opinions and they would honestly tell you the same. They don't enjoy doing games with these juniors, as it results in them doing 95% of the work.

I am all for progression and people getting opportunities, but how about they prove themselves on lower level games before being put out there.

It leads to frustration from players and coaches, and the referees who can't swim sink, and quit - and so the ever revolving door continues to open and close.

Reply #540886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA's entire referee development philosophy is for ref's to be pushed above their level and that they will then adapt to that level over time.

Reply #540901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:47 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754