Sixers Fan
Years ago

Can Illawarra win with Rhys Martin at PG?

Is Rhys Martin good enough to be a championship point guard. Going up against guys like Gibbo, Damo, Thornton and Jackson?

Topic #37643 | Report this topic

Vodka 62  
Years ago

Yes Martin is a very good point guard high IQ player. He has a very good team around him

Reply #541214 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

yes

Reply #541216 | Report this post

If Illawarra has any problems, Rhys Martin will unlikely be one of them. A solid, smart player.

Reply #541217 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Yes. One of the better generals in the league. This year he has more talent to play with than any previous seasons. Don't forget that Lisch can also spend plenty of time with the ball in his hands.

The main question with the current Hawks line up is whether they can defend well enough and match teams on the boards so they can get the "W"s when they are not shootin' the shit out of it.

AJ will help address their previous rebounding deficiencies but I still feel they need a top class mid sized stopper to go up against the top notch 4 and 3 men in the league.

Reply #541219 | Report this post

Perimeter D and lateral quickness will definitely be the concern, particularly if Maric is to replace an athletic perimeter import.

How much can Bevo infuse that full-court energy into ALL of these guys? We will see!

Reply #541226 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He led the Hawks to the 2010 GF, did he not?

Reply #541229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah for sure, nit because he is amazing or anything but serviceable PG's with extreme talent around them is a great mix.

Reply #541258 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think he will need to be more of a facilitator this season to keep this talented squad so if he can sacrifice his own shot a bit and knock down open shots then he atleast deserves to be in the conversation

Reply #541262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, he led them to within one game of a championship when he was significantly less experienced without their star guard for the latter part of the season in 2010

Reply #541407 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Jackson > Martin
Webster = Lisch
Abercrombie > Penney (we are talking both ends of the floor kids)
Vukona > Foreman
Pledger = Ogilvy

NZ's bench > Hawk's bench

Reply #541420 | Report this post

Vodka 62  
Years ago

Mystro - no way is Pledger better than Ogilvy!!

Reply #541423 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

you might want to read again or lay off the Vodka

Reply #541426 | Report this post

Vodka 62  
Years ago

*Equal than

Reply #541430 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledgers recent injury lay off has allowed you to forget actually how handy he is at both ends of the floor.
His footwork is still suspect yes, his jump shot and free throws are not nor is his ability to finish at the rim or defend. Add his experience in Championship games (4x titles) and Internationals and you have one of the best Centres in this league.

What in your opinion makes AJ a better player than Alex?

Reply #541431 | Report this post

Cos he's an Aussie!

Reply #541436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vickerman

Reply #541447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger unfortunately has glass feet, hasnt been a factor for a while. Not sure how this became a NZ thread, but id take the Hawks under Bevo over NZ any day of the week. Losing Ibekwe was huge for mine.

Reply #541451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster = Lisch

Webster is still very inconsistent and I thought the team often functioned better with Carter last season as he was the better playmaker (and I'm no Carter fan). Still a trick or treat type player.

Lisch's last NBL season (a while ago now) was one of the most consistent season's in recent memory, hence the mvp award.

Also if there was a draft I'd take Foreman over Vukona. Vukona fouls too much and at 33 he started to show his age last year. Foreman's shooting opens things up for everyone and his game will age better then Vukona's.

Reply #541454 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Comparing Vukona and Forman are like comparing chalk and cheese... Their games are completely different and add very different things to their team... Vukon ahas as much chance of nailing outside shots as Forman has of getting offensive rebounds...

Reply #541456 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

When you look at the matchups as Mystro has comparing each player as all round players he is 100% correct. BUT assuming Bevo runs systems to get shooters open the rankings change to the complete polar opposite in 3 of the positions. Penney & Forman are probably the two best 3 point shooters in the NBL.

So it will be a battle of systems and with 4 of the 5 starters on the Hawks all good to great shooters and their 5 man very capable and needing double coverage it's a matchup that teams will find very difficult to handle on any given night.

IF the last guy for the Hawks is decent then they go 8 deep and only need a few minutes from Demos/White.

Reply #541461 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Webster and Abercrombie are the two best shooters in the NBL from outside.

Lisch had a great season how many years ago, it was around the same time Penney did? Then the world moved on and everyone else improved, especially Webster.

Reply #541488 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Martin is a quality point guard and will create plenty of opportunities for the likes of Lisch, Penney, Forman and Coenraad. (Incidentally, has there been an NBL team in recent memory with as much sheer shooting firepower as that group?)

But Demos is their back up. I see him as a scrapper, an energy guy who can play 5 minutes a half and hustle hard. But I don't see him as a guy who can run an offense for an extended period of time.

So if Martin were to get injured they'd be in some serious trouble. But as long as Martin stays healthy, I see this team piling on the points like it's going out of fashion. Oglivy is hard to contain in the low post, and surrounding him with so many good shooters will make them potent indeed.

Reply #541803 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lisch is a half decent point man too, so there's another option. They might be OK.

They just need one more power/energy guy at the forward spot- Lucas Walker would've been perfect, that's the type of player I'm thinking of- to complete their roster. And with Bevo at the helm they should be a strong team.

Reply #541804 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Martin was injured, they can start Lisch, Penney, Coenraad, Forman and Ogilvy. (Or Maric or Davidson in for Forman.) Can see Coenraad being very fired up to get his minutes after an "MVP" season, and Demos looked demoralised last season and will hopefully pick up.

I think Lisch would be a bigger injury loss than Martin. Lisch is pretty dogged whereas Martin (one of my favourite players) doesn't seem to push himself if not challenged. Reminds me a bit of Gibson in that regard.

Reply #541823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looks like they'll only have one import and I think points to spare so should be able to replace an injured star.

Reply #541848 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Maric out, Cody Ellis in, according to Boti.

That's probably a better balance anyway for the Hawks.

Reply #541852 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Happy with that if true. Obviously would have liked someone better but Ellis fits a gap in the current lineup and the option to bring an import in later is a handy thing to have up your sleeve.

Reply #541860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754