Isaac
Years ago

Dante Exum injured last night, suspected ACL

Non-contact knee injury against Slovenia. Jazz have called him back for treatment.

BA press release:

Dante Exum injured his left knee during the Australian Boomers' second international friendly against Slovenia.

It was the final match of the Boomers European Tour and the team will now travel to Australia for the 2015 FIBA Oceania Championships.

The 20-year old was treated by Basketball Australia medical staff at the game and will shortly travel to Utah for further medical assessment by his NBA team, the Utah Jazz.

Boomers’ Head Coach Andrej Lemanis and his coaching staff will make the necessary adjustments to the playing rotations for the Oceania Championships, with game one of the two game series at Melbourne’s Rod Laver Arena on August 15.

Basketball Australia will hold a press conference on Friday at 1030am when the Boomers return. Further details about the press conference will be provided later today.

The entire Basketball Australia family wishes Dante Exum well on his return to Utah and hopes for positive news on his injury.

Topic #37648 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won?

Reply #541270 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Damn, never good to have to that happen, hopefully it's only minor and he'll be ready for the start of the Jazz season.

Reply #541273 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Well he will never play for Australia again. Betting Lemanis is wishing he had the mills decision over again.

Reply #541274 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That sucks. Hard to tell much from that video, so hopefully it isn't too bad, but I guess it must be reasonably serious for him to head straight back to Utah.

I was really hoping we'd start to see Dante emerge on this tour, after the way he outplayed Marcus Smart in Summer League. Hopes dashed once again! Supporting the Boomers is beginning to feel akin to supporting the English soccer team!

Reply #541276 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Jeez...

Almost exactly the same as when Rose did his ACL: jump stop, leg buckles, goes down. Hope it's not that, but it doesn't look good.

Reply #541279 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Didn't look that bad from the video above twenty four. Did you see more of it live? I really hope it isn't going to keep him out of the next NBA season. That would be a major setback for his career.

Reply #541301 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

Does this now mean he will need to be replaced?

Reply #541307 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I will never doubt this young man's endeavour or the decision to go straight into the NBA without first going to college to get a further education.

I also wish him the best in a speedy recovery, hoping he has not suffered anything serious or long term.

It does however, once again show us all how easily a young sporting career can be placed into turmoil and how an injury can jeopardise ones future earnings in sport.

Good luck Dante, get well soon.

Reply #541309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully a sprain or hyper extension, but I think it could be a ACL, that would be tragic news for s kid so young. Jazz all over it getting the prized possession back for treatment. Wish him all the best!

Reply #541311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To answer the question above the Boomers won 66-51

Reply #541315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Boomers won, well Gwb will be happy atleast, Exum has already been paid if he had done this in college he would be done! Smart move, go get paid, its a dog eat dog world and you can always get educated later on if so be it.

Reply #541317 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Following is further article on the injury. In the article it suggests that the Spurs advised Patty to not go to Europe, but would be available for NZ series. Maybe Lemanis will now reconsider?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/dante-exum-injures-knee-will-miss-new-zealand-series-20150804-girowp.html

Reply #541319 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Having done an ACL, that looks like an ACL.

Reply #541323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate the jump stop! It makes me cringe every time I see it used like that.

Reply #541329 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Hope its just a garden variety sprain or hyper-extension. It is really scary seeing how easily these kinds of injuries can occur.

Reply #541330 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

If I was a Professional Basketball team and one of my players said 'I wanna go play for my national team overseas' Id say No.

Im actually surprised more teams dont say 'Hell no'.

Reply #541333 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Sounds like it's more than likely an ACL from the newest reports. Likely out for the season.

And this is why NAB teams will soon stop players playing for their country.

Reply #541336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same shoe brand as Rose - and wasn't there an article linked to here recently suggesting there'd been a curious number of others wearing that same brand .. ?

Reply #541337 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

*NBA teams

Reply #541338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why you skip college and get paid!!!! Your only putting your asset (body) at risk. Hence the Simmons decision if a huge risk...if you were him at first sign of anything I'd shut it down at LSU

Reply #541340 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

Looking at the video above, Dante certainly lands on his right leg first! Indicating that the vast majority of pressure is going through that ankle, knee and hip. Because of the angle he lands on that leg, the knee is take most of the force. It appears you can actually see the muscles working. He will be a lucky boy not to sustain a major tear.

Reply #541342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand out and out favourites for Oceania Series now.

Reply #541351 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I wouldn't speak too soon, this might force Andrej's hand to bring in Mills.

Reply #541356 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

ACL it is......

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-dante-exum-diagnosed-torn-acl

Damn!!!

Reply #541357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While the injury sucks badly, and is horrible news for everyone involved, I think the talk is a bit apocalyptic. This guy has a lot of time on his side for recovery. He'll be back, and at the end of his career this could easily be a footnote. Fingers and toes crossed for him.

Reply #541362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti:

Initial but unconfirmed prognosis of the injury is a torn anterior cruciate ligament, which would sideline him for 12 months.

Reply #541367 | Report this post

The Captain  
Years ago

The video looks like an ACL. The way he reacted was telling.

Going to be really tough for him to make an impact in NBA now. I hope it is a minor set back and he gets back to his best.

Reply #541369 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yes, it isn't good news. However, at Dantes age (19?) by the time he is back he will be younger than most rookies anyway. He has a lot of time on his side. So long as he continues to watch, be involved, and study the game it wont be time completely wasted. Wishing him all the best.

As for much debate from teams that they wont want their players to play for national teams, NBA players are going to play the game all year long either way; whether it be pick up games, practices, or whatever. Atleast if they play for a national team they have immediate medical attention and can be monitored. A lot of NBA guys spend the summer out at Rucker Park probably playing prison rules FFS. I certainly hope this injury doesn't become an excuse for GM's to clamp down.

Reply #541370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul George injury hasn't stopped guys going to team USA camp

Reply #541371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible news for Exum certainly wish him all the best

Reply #541377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Lemanis should have brought a couple of extra players with this squad for the European tour. I understand that just bringing 12 creates player certainty and helps build team chemistry, but having a couple of extra players (as NZ has for their tour) does at least provide injury cover if the worst does happen. Plus they'd be coming into the squad up to speed with team systems rather than coming in cold.

Reply #541384 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good luck to the you fella, time is certainly on his side.

Re NZ being favourites now, the Aussies probably get stronger with a more experienced player coming in, undoubtedly if it's Mills.

Reply #541389 | Report this post

Patty is at the Big Day Out. Can't make it.

Reply #541392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least he can still live off the potential tag and not have another terrible nba season

Reply #541394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definition of hater from comment above.

Reply #541396 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

a year out of nba also means no olympics I think. :/

Reply #541398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always thought Mills was unavailable because of NBA rehab still happening. What's changed if anything?

Reply #541399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Olympics but looking for a positive plenty of gym time to work on his body so he can be strong and ready to go in 2016.

It hurts jazz this year but maybe they could tank and get Simmons....love to see them together!!

Reply #541400 | Report this post

Imagine Bogut, Ingles, Delly, Simmons and Exum on the same team!! They'd be the best team ever!!!

*GWB explodes from the pants*

Reply #541401 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If you actually read my posts, Chalmers, you would find I have been pretty critical of Exum and realistic about Delly.

As for Mills, he was unavailable for the Euro tour but he has always been available for the qualifiers. Boti says that Basketball Australia has already reached out to Patty, so hopefully we will have news on that front, shortly.

Reply #541402 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

They have to bring in Mills surely, if a player has to be added to the squad to cover for injury then any previous statements regarding Mills not being available because of missing the Euro tour are void. Any other replacement would have also missed Euro tour.

Reply #541404 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

And nobody else would have better chemistry and experience with most of the current playing group.

Reply #541432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Damo has been doing great, he can fill in for S.O.C

Reply #541434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills/greenwood
broekhoff/delly
Ingles/simmons/newley
Motum/Anderson/bairstow
Bogut/baynes

Reply #541452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio

Dellavedova /?
Mills / Newly /goulding
Ingles /broekhoff
motum/ simmons/Andersen
bogut /baynes

Reply #541453 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Really bad news but not an uncommon injury and players generally come back with few ongoing problems.

We will all now just have to be a little bit more patient to see how Dante develops his game.

Let us also hope that players ad NBA teams realise that this type of thing can occur any time and it doesn't affect any future decisions on playing for the Boomers.

Reply #541459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd simply make a call to greenwood for the extra guard spot
Surely lemanis was running a similar setup and plays for the uni games team ?

Reply #541465 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not sure why anyone would call in Greenwood with Mills sitting there ready to go. Kind of a dumb call there, anonymous.

Seeing as the team has similar players they are more likely to run what they did in the 2013 qualifiers than they are what they did at the Uni games with completely different personnel.

Reply #541468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I'm sure Greenwood would slot in nicely but Mills is the obvious choice. It is set up perfectly for him.

Get well soon Dante!!!

Reply #541483 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754