A
Years ago

When is Ebi Ere Joining the 36ers Squad

Does anyone know when Ebi will arrive in Adelaide? New ownership's communication since taking over is really below average.

Topic #37651 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi ere - what as an assistant coach?

Dude would be about 40 years old?

Reply #541464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 34 I think. Wouldn't be overly wrapped if true, I can remember his last stint in the NBL with the Tigers.

Reply #541471 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Are the 36ers that determined to make something of this season?

Well I guess a wooden spoon is still more than basically every other team will get from this season.

Townsville for 7th!

Reply #541472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is this a joke or is it serious?

Reply #541473 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Hell no !!. If we are serious we need a gun import. Ebi Ere will be like Mike Chappel. I want to get pumped up and believe we can win it all instead of hoping.

Reply #541475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its very serious, Ive ummed and arid for a while about it and personally can't think a single positive thing about it. He is a chucker, interested to see if he is still 'festive all year around'.... wasted there chance to work with the solid Aussie core. I have no faith in Joey Wrights abilities to recruit imports at this point.

Reply #541476 | Report this post

Betty Leadfoot  
Years ago

Troll

Reply #541478 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Please don't be true so many better on the market

Reply #541482 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Is there any evidence for this post?

Reply #541484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troll... why because I dont want an over the hill import that is a late signing, that doesn't prove to be competitive against the other imports teams are singing. Please....

Reply #541485 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I certainly hope it's not true, but I wouldn't doubt it. Last year we got some scrub from Macedonia, now we got the MVP of the Mongolian league. I think Joey Wright is a good coach but some else needs to pick his imports.

Reply #541486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Averaged 10 points for last 3 years,not an imports output!

Reply #541489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not ebi ere.....

Reply #541491 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

I really hope it's not Ebi, but that was the info I was given and that's all I know. Joey's tried to get him the last 3 seasons. Maybe Adelaide's the only team to offer him a good Pension.....

Reply #541498 | Report this post

Vodka 62  
Years ago

If the import is Ere I think some of the comments are a bit harsh

Reply #541506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It IS Ebi Ere

Reply #541508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats your opinion, but i reckon its a real problem having a over the hill type at the club when alot of teams are moving forward in a big way. My mail says its been a done deal for a while, not sure why it hasnt been announced but hopefully there has been a change of heart and some sanity has set in.

Reply #541513 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

I have no idea who 2 nd import is but hope not Ere as that does not create any excitement about the make up of this team.
Agree with another poster that not bowled over with the information etc coming out of new owners.

Reply #541537 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Like Pure Silk, I too think an Ebi Ere signing will be a reincarnation of Mike Chappel.

Reply #541540 | Report this post

Vodka 62  
Years ago

Ere's numbers have been alright in quality European leagues and Puerto Rico over the last few years. Obviously he won't be an Ennis or McRae but he should still be a solid 15PPG import.
Only trouble is other teams have recruited big, but Sixers should still be solid. However Joey has only missed the playoffs once in 12 seasons when he had injuries on Gold Coast.

Reply #541553 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Vodka62...unfortunately, I dont think solid is going to cut it this year!

Reply #541560 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Whats the difference with signing Ebi Ere and the Hawks signing Kirk Penney who many were excited about??

They are both at a similar age/stage in their careers id imagine.

Let our imports play before judging them imo, remember last off season when Perry, Daniels, Gladness, Dennis, Carson, Ervin were all going to be wayyyy better than Wilson, which didnt turn out to be the case by the end of the season.

Reply #541568 | Report this post

Vodka 62  
Years ago

Agreed Jonno

Reply #541570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looking forward to see Ebi Ere in a sixers top

Reply #541571 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well said Jonno.

Reply #541573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonno, Ebi Ere was an inefficient chucker the last time he played in the NBL with the Tigers, he looked out of shape and wasn't much chop defensively.

And that was 6 years ago!

Reply #541580 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

For the record, I thought Wilson was a decent signing before the season. Ere, I'm not so sure of but will give benefit of the doubt and hope my instincts are wrong.

Reply #541584 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with Jonno also.

"Ebi Ere was an inefficient chucker the last time he played in the NBL with the Tigers, he looked out of shape and wasn't much chop defensively."

Perhaps with more experience he has better BBall IQ.

His Shooting is great.

2009 20ppg @ 43% FG, 33% 3PT, 77% FT
2008 26ppg @ 47% FG, 41% 3PT, 77% FT
2007 17ppg @ 46% FG, 36% 3PT, 67% FT
2006 19ppg @ 45% FG, 39% 3PT, 72% FT

and averaged about 5RPG. I would be more concerned about his turnovers and hope he has improved in that department.

Scoring wise he is as talented as any of the other big names. Defense wise I can't remember to him being a bad defender.

Reply #541586 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Penney's last NBL season: 20/4/2, 44.5, 42 and 72.6 (2010/11)
Ere's last NBL season: 21/5/2, 43.5, 33.3, 77.2 (2008/09)

Penney is 35 in November.
Ere just turned 34 this month.

Reply #541588 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Problem with those stats is...they are 5-6 years old. Enter the Mike Chappel effect...

Reply #541591 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Where did the talk of Ere being signed actually start? Nothing official is there?

Reply #541593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His Shooting is great.

2009 20ppg @ 43% FG, 33% 3PT, 77% FT
2008 26ppg @ 47% FG, 41% 3PT, 77% FT
2007 17ppg @ 46% FG, 36% 3PT, 67% FT
2006 19ppg @ 45% FG, 39% 3PT, 72% FT

Those stats are incorrect according to NBL Wiki. In 2008/09 with the Tigers he averaged 21ppg and shot 44% from the field and just 32% on 3pts and I was surprised he even shot as well as that.

http://andthefoul.net/NBLwiki/index.php?Ebi%20Ere

He looked great in the Bullets set up surrounded by a team of all-stars but not so much his last season here with the Tigers. I remember some Tigers fans asking for him to be cut during that season.

Reply #541605 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, they're the same stats. Someone's rounded up, someone down.

Reply #541612 | Report this post

He's joining as soon as BA get his visa processed.

Reply #541613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Consensus is this isnt anything to get excited about. Simple as that, another season where team should compete but wont win it... compared to others rosters.

Reply #541614 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What would mcneil and an ere be on combined? Would the 6ers have looked at bringing in 1 import at larger salary? Hope gibbo is cool with passing first second and third wont be a lot of shots for him id say... intersting to see how this team gels

Reply #541621 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I never remembered Ebi Ere as too much of an inefficient chucker or a horrible defender, would Brian Goorjian or Joey Wright recruit a guy who is like that??

Just because he is 34 doesnt mean he is a dud, fwiw Mike Chappell was bettling injury and wasnt in peak shape, Ebi has been playing in leagues around the world the whole time he has been out of the NBL, due to bigger offers elsewhere not because he wasnt of standard, so id back him to be atleast a decent import, assuming he is healthy.

My guess would be that Kenyon McNeaill would be a cheapish import (70-100k) where Ebi would be on $150k+ (if it is Ebi we have signed, i have no idea, just guess work and others seem to think its him)

FWIW Copeland at the same age averaged 21pts, 3 ast, 3 rbd for the Tigers so imports can play well in there 30's.

Joey to me is a good recruiter, he hasnt had too many wrong moves, usually if the import isnt a star its because they are cheaper as Joey usually has teams with alot of $$ spent on Aussie talent and then at best 1 more expensive import with whats left, as thats what they can fit in, bang for there buck Frye and Montreal were both decent imo, if they were Australian born they would be in the league for sure. So im backing Joey in to make the right decision.,

Whats so great about all other teams import combos that make ours look bad (if Ebi Ere is import 2)

Cairns ???/Craig?
Melbourne Holt/Ibekwe?
Perth Beal/?Parther
Sydney Childress/Thornton
Hawks Lisch/?
NZ Ced Jackson/?
Crocs Conklin/Jett

To be honest the only guys you could be certain to be as good/better than Ebi Ere if at decent form are Childress, Lisch, Ced Jackson and maybe Beal and Conklin, so to me that still puts him at the top half of imports in the league as non of the others are proven to be NBL studs, just because a guy is a 2nd round pick in the NBA or played summer league doesnt mean he is a NBL super star. Some will be better but many wont be as good, same as what everyone was saying about Wilson last year. We will just wait and see.

Daniel Johnson is as good as any other Aussie big man in the league imo and better than any import PF/C whom are known quantities,

So not sure why everyone thinks we are falling behind with our roster because a few Aussie bigs have come to the NBL and a few new imports.

I reckon our roster looks really good and should be of similar level to what we have had the last couple of years under Joey, remember 2 years ago we were clear 2nd and made the GF, this roster isnt shaping to be much worse imo.

As i and others have said let our imports get on court with our team before writing them off, they may both not work out but just as much chance both are super stars, id back its somewhere in between,

For McNeaill, Corin Henry who played for the Kings a couple of years back when they made the playoffs under Heal had a similar resume and was quite decent at NBL level so no reason why Kenyon cant be similar.

Reply #541653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would guess McNeail would be fortunate to be on more than $70k (imports like CJ & Montreal were on $38k, min wage) and don't think Ere could command $150k maybe $120k tops.

Reply #541655 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Brilliant post once again Jonno!

Reply #541656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will probs fit in ok and decent, but guess the major disappointment for me is Joey Wright was going on about a Donta Smith type and didn't deliver. Think thats why people are annoyed, but realistically if he can put a few good games together, and cares enough, the fans will quickly come around.

Reply #541659 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Thank god we didnt get that Tim Duncan guy.... i mean have you seen how old he is. Dont even talk to me about Kobe either.

Reply #541664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see what your TRYING to say, but to mention Ebe in the same conversation as Kobe and TD is simply odd. More so like saying the Bruce Bolden who played for the Magic compared to later on at the Razorbacks or Kings... not the same influence.

Reply #541665 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Last time he played in the NBL he arrived disgustingly out of shape for a pro basketballer, had a negative influence on the team, team wasn't winning with him and then was cut! This was 4-5 years ago.....imagine now at 34, ok he's been getting ok numbers in very ordinary leagues....

Reply #541666 | Report this post

Vodka 62  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/gamecent/p/pid/6034457/playerview.html

Reply #541669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And....

Reply #541670 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Last time he played in the NBL he arrived disgustingly out of shape for a pro basketballer, had a negative influence on the team, team wasn't winning with him and then was cut! This was 4-5 years ago.....imagine now at 34, ok he's been getting ok numbers in very ordinary leagues..."

Are you talking about Ebi Ere? Who cut him and what are the very ordinary leagues he's been playing in?

Reply #541681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Puerto Rico 29 one game 7 the next, 33 one game 11 the next. That's what I'm concerned about the inconsistency from age/chucking/fitness.

I've got no doubt some games he will be good but others stink it up and I don't think this team has the firepower to cover up for him having too many bad games.

The past couple of former NBL star imports we've signed in Cortez Groves & Mike Chappell didn't work out that well either. It's a big gamble.

Reply #541682 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Wasnt his last NBL season in 2009 when he played in the GF series with the Tigers?

If my memory serves me correct he has played in 4 seasons, made 3 grand finals and won 2 titles as one of the top players on his team.

Reply #541685 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not seeing substance to this Ebi Ere rumour. I think people are wasting valuable energy on the conversation.

Reply #541686 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

quite possibly GWB, cant wait til they announce the 2nd import!

Reply #541688 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct Jonno, and since he has played in quality leagues in Italy, Spain and France with end of season earners in the decent Puerto Rican league. He won't be a star anymore, but he will be an offensive spark if Adelaide go that way, and you can make a good case that's what they need from that spot. It's the other import spot that's the big question mark.

Reply #541689 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

GWB "I am not seeing substance to this Ebi Ere rumour. I think people are wasting valuable energy on the conversation."

I think you are wrong again.

Reply #541691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not seeing substance to this Ebi Ere rumour. I think people are wasting valuable energy on the conversation.

Do you see Isaac saying it's not Ebi Ere?

Read between the lines.

Reply #541692 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jonno...there is only one thing wrong with your post. Chappell was not out of shape nor battling injury (apart from just before he was cut). In fact, Smyth and co had him undergoing tests etc to try and figure out what was wrong with him but all of the results came back negative.

Reply #541695 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Oh ok, i thought i remembered there being a mention of a back injury at the time, but yea cant find any old articles mentioning it in a quick search

Reply #541699 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Paul, my bad, I might have mistaken Ebi for Ayinde Ubaka in a comment or two earlier.

Reply #541703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Chappell there were blood tests and everything. Smyth had never cut an import during the season before and they tried to do everything possible to avoid it but eventually did it around mid-season and Smyth got sacked at the end of that season.

Reply #541711 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If I am so wrong, King James, then where is any shred of evidence or talk from anyone who knows anything real?

Reply #541712 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

No idea correct or not but usually when strong on this site usually correct .
If so think it will make up my mind not by season ticket as missing a few games and Wed. not ideal night etc
Have to get used to watching some games from a higher level I guess.

Reply #541729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754