Train
Years ago

The new NBL website is here

I've only seen the mobile NBL and clubs sites but it looks decent so far. The player profiles are great and I like the look of the ladder. Like anything it will take a bit to get use to. The Navigation could be improved and I can't see anything yet for live stats but I imagine there will be additions to the site as the season gets closer.

Interested to see the desktop version when I get to work.

No changes to the logo as of yet.

Topic #37652 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Also there is no Twitter feed on this new version which I kinda liked on the old site.

Reply #541499 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Oh wait the new logo is there, looks like they have updated the site since I first looked.

Reply #541500 | Report this post

new order  
Years ago

i like

Reply #541502 | Report this post

new order  
Years ago

twitter is on the menu on left hand side

Reply #541503 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

A bit cluttered but I like it.

Reply #541504 | Report this post

Is there a way to access the page without being prompted to sign in? I don't want to register or sign in.

Clicking the stats link takes you straight back to the sportingpulse mess. I'm prepared to give them time to update/improve that side of things though. If they don't.....sigh.

Reply #541509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So slow to load. and i have NBN.

Visually it's a huge improvement over the last site that is for sure.

Reply #541510 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Im having problems getting past the login page and very slow also at the moment but I imagine this is just the teething problems you get with a new site.

Reply #541514 | Report this post

new order  
Years ago

not slow for me - popped straight up - big pond cable

Reply #541516 | Report this post

Its been hit and miss so far for me. Nothing to do with my connection speed.

Reply #541517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit messy and lots of dead links. I like the downtown layout more

Reply #541518 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

horrendously slow.

So I get to the first screen, it wants my details. fair enough.

I try to give them but because of 20 years of mergers/failures in Melbourne NBL I don't have a team so I cannot complete this because it is compulsory to nominate my team. So, they don't get my details. Well done.

Reply #541519 | Report this post

Well the Ops Manager is so damn proud of the relaunch and thats the main thing.

Reply #541521 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Improved presentation, although looks better on mobile than desktop (is a bit "messy" on the latter).

Slow loading times as others have noted.

All the content is the same cr@ppy stuff from the last web page, but hopefully that will improve over time.

Reply #541522 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Its a new website so give it a bit of time. I am on the fence about the logo, though.

Reply #541523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't visited a site this slow for a long time. It's really struggling.

Keep seeing the old logo in places, and can't cancel the forced registration to actually see the site. Poor start IMO.

They need to fix the cancel button on the forced registration ASAP, or the speed if that's what's causing things to feel unresponsive.

Reply #541524 | Report this post

Annoz  
Years ago

Slow... that's an understatement. Glad it's just no me. I once got onto the page briefly but now cant even get it to load. I know its a new site but its not like we're back in the old dial up days. I'm on the NBN getting 42mbs so my connection isn't an issue. My initial thoughts on the brief look i had earlier was that there was WAY to much going on on the home screen, very busy indeed. Hopefully they'll take the feedback given and make improvements over time. Ha, made myself laugh then, when was the last time anyone in basketball listened to, well, anyone?

Reply #541526 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

It's not your connection speed - it's probably just getting a load of traffic right now. Even with a website rebrand I doubt the site is set up & configured to deal with a very large number of concurrent users.

Reply #541527 | Report this post

Annoz  
Years ago

Yeah i did consider that it may be a traffic issue but i doubt there's 100,000 people all trying to get onto the NBL website this morning? I understand when lets say a ticket site goes down when a huge act goes on sale but the 1000 people on hoops shouldn't be causing an issue. I did get on after my last post but then made the mistake of trying to look at a team link which made it lock up again. Oh well by the time the season starts the bugs should be ironed out, hopefully.

Reply #541528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a wordpress template, wordpress requires a fair bit of work to make it work when under load

Reply #541529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't sign in, can't navigate. Clearly there are a couple teething problems. I'll try again tomorrow.

Reply #541530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pop up with no X in the right hand corner.... No Thanks.

I'll come back later... Maybe...

Reply #541532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he is proud. Improvement from the crap site before.. When it loads it looks ok but I'm not sure if thats because its new. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Some of the other sites like DT, ATF, NZHOOPS and PNR look better and easier to navigate.

Reply #541533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not quite sure why it wants me to set my team and displays constant team news to me. If i want team news I goto the team website. If I want league wide news I goto the league website. I like the site, though i'm not sure what they have tried to achieve here. There are news articles in a few different places and it doesn't seem particularly organised yet.

I figure it will become more streamlined as they get used to the website and the videos section is just a reincarnation of the highlights on the old website, hopefully that is a sign of new video product to come.

Social hub is pretty cool though. I guess it's just a reincarnation of a twitter feed though.

Reply #541538 | Report this post

"Improvement from the crap site before."

I'm not seeing any improvement. They've just shifted the issues off the front page in to different areas.

Reply #541539 | Report this post

64Datome  
Years ago

I'm prepared to give them time to get it right. A refresh was needed. Good on 'em.

Reply #541543 | Report this post

I'm prepared to give them a chance too but I'm not going to sing their praises prematurely either. Seen a lot of back slapping going on for releasing a website that isn't working, a new logo (I don't mind it), and a stupid hashtag meant for another sport.

Reply #541544 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, a lot of their load issues likely come from WordPress and some other things they're doing. 279 requests, 49 external JavaScript files (!), 15 external stylesheets. Load time was 20+ seconds, which is about as fast as it's been for me.

Hopefully they can trim that down or find some better WP hosting.

Not a fan of the interface or the way they've done the responsive to incorporate scaling to height, but they had a big challenge on their hands.

Reply #541547 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I'm not clear where scores for games will be accessed when the season starts.

Trying to view the schedule was too hard for me. I couldn't get it to show me a full schedule.

I have no desire nor intention to subscribe and so, as noted above, the fact the subscription pop-up comes up every time I click on a link (or click the 'back' button) makes the site unusable (for me).

My main uses for the previous site(s) were schedules, scores, stats and ladder. Across those four, schedule looks less useful for me, scores is unknown as yet, stats is about the same (just a link to Fox Sports Pulse) and ladder is the same. Site is slower than the old site on my laptop. Hopefully it's not slower on my mobile devices because that should be impossible. That said, I won't be bothering to use it on a mobile device until the subscription popup is removed.

Let's see how it goes after they've had a chance to tune it a bit.

Reply #541552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the Home About History -NBL area -

"The National Basketball League is regarded as one of the premier basketball leagues in the world"

"The Wildcats won their most recent title in 2010, defeating the Wollongong Hawks."

NZ Breakers last title was 2012/13 seasons.

Reply #541555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love it - love the logo. Will happily wear that on a shirt when some merch comes out.

Love the new games scheduling. Also love the calendar which is now synced to my gmail

You guys are never happy

Reply #541558 | Report this post

Great that you love those things. We're not talking about them though but good try.

Reply #541559 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I really liked the look of it until I started using parts of it (Not all functionality is working). Think I will give it a couple of weeks though to iron out the bugs.

Reply #541562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah, chalners - just go and select the Kings, or any other random team, and go and explore. Takes little steps at a time after the rough run the league has had. mid-week scheduling is at least a different tack. Re-branding is another.

As you say, give them benefit of the doubt to gradually get the other pieces to fall into place.

Reply #541563 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

+ pretty
+ great new logo
+ good player info (inc. player's social media links)
- bit cluttered
- slow, today at least
- stupid pop up

Reply #541564 | Report this post

"ah, chalners - just go and select the Kings, or any other random team, and go and explore. "

Why? Does that solve the obvious issues on the first page?

Yes I am prepared to give them time but I'm also not going to pretend its totally awesome and congratulate everyone involved. I've seen the "that'll do" attitude time and time again from the NBL and this, so far, doesn't look like they've moved on from that.

Reply #541565 | Report this post

Now I can't even close the MyNBLExperience pop-up.

Reply #541567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the league is using the thread as customer feedback and adding the development items to their tasker.

Its probably worth just getting the page out there and letting the visitors tell you what the issues are.

Reply #541575 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ok, so I dig the new logo, they just need to use it in the appropriate spots, either with the text or not...

I think it's a good first step and anything would be an improvement on the last site, I like the sort of info they've got on the homepage, it just needs some better styling... I like the player profiles as well, which is good...

I'm experiencing the same load problems both on desktop (takes on average 40secs before anything happeens) and especially mobile, I have decent reception and it's been 2 minutes and nothing... all black and stalled loading...

I'm currently building a custom Wordpress site, so I understand the limitations and problems, but there are a lot of styling issues on the desktop version... I'm not a huge fan of making desktop sites like mobile sites, the menus are ok, but having something full screen and then having a black bar down the left really makes it unbalanced, there are headings that are cut off, if I re-size my screen even down to 1024x768 the text shrinks, which is absolutely mental... Having everything fullscreen on such a large monitor is really unbalanced and cluttered...

A good start, but a lot of work to do...

Meanwhile, it's been nearly 10mins and I've cancelled the loading on my iphone, and it's frozen the whole damn thing...

Reply #541579 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

Don't mind the new website but I hate the logo.

The block lettering makes it look really boring in my opinion.

Glad to see some big changes though.

Reply #541583 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Looks like they have fixed a lot of the bugs so far. I just got onto the desktop site for the first time today. Its looking good so far.

I think there's a bit of work to be done in terms of structure. The news articles and stats should be moved more to the top and the rest below it.

Reply #541587 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

It's already running significantly better for me now than it was this morning, so I'm reserving judgement for the time being.
Bells & whistles are nice as long as they don't kill its usability.

Reply #541589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't realise so many NBL fans were graphic designers and web designers.

The league should have crowd sourced the new brand and website.

Reply #541596 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^While I sense sarcasm, they could have done that.

Reply #541597 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, first things first, with the right browser and good internet speed it looks way cooler than the original.

Love the new logo, simple and slightly 1970's or retro, but very suitable and a big improvement, but doesn't reflect anything Australian or immediately give me an indication that the NBL is an Aussie league (not saying it has to either).

Scrolling down to get to ladders and scheduling is interesting, lots of navigation through media and news and profiles and stuff before one gets to the league, but again all cool stuff.

I like the dark background, it brings everything up front and gives the site a ver 3D kind of appearance.

Links down the side are also in a good spot and look great, functionality of these are how the whole site responds to average internet speeds could be interesting.

Overall, I give it an 8.5 out of 10, but lets see if it is maintained and kept up to date, because that score could drop if the data and delays for posting up to date information creep in...

Fine to have all this stuff, but quality over quantity is more important IMHO!

Reply #541600 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, I am not a graphic designer but I have created and edited basketball web sites and have an opinion on basketball related matters drawn from many years of experience, if that counts for anything that is...

:)

Reply #541601 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon 596 - To be fair this is a forum. Did you expect anything less then hearing peoples opinions and thoughts on the issue?

Reply #541603 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Early days, I know, so it will be interesting to see how the sponsors of the league increase. Checking the corporate partners we find only two, no TV or media partner yet is a concern...

As I said, early days, I am sure that space will be populated in the coming days.

Reply #541606 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

It maybe my browser BUT at then moment the webpage looks a mess to me. Very slow and hard to navigate. Many of the "buttons" don't work.
Quick camparsion with NBA, A league, AFL, etc websites which are all far less cluttered etc.

I know its early so will give them time, but would have expected / hoped for a very positive first up view. Why release it if its not actually ready. Better to simply appoligies for the delay and issue a revised release date.
Also would have ben great to have some exciting announcement to go with it, but thats just becasue we all think its easy.

Reply #541615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try using Firefox as your browser

Reply #541622 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Interesting interview on the matter

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/grizz-tizz-from-way-downtown/e/40046414?autoplay=true

Reply #541630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV deal remains unclear and speculative with lots of irons in the fire, oh dear!

Reply #541633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#HARDBALL, so the new NBL see us as tough and gritty and that's the way we want to play the game, oh shit there goes the skill and high scoring!

Reply #541635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, if this site is 8.5 out of 10, whats espn? 25 out of 10

Reply #541651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That audio interview is no different to any other interview to when a new CEO or owner of a new club comes into the NBL.

Just typical ra ra ra jargon.

Reply #541663 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't think it sounds like "ra ra ra jargon". They sound more decisive and more assured than ever. Not quite like Kristina Keneally taking credit for things she wasn't even associated with (like the national teams, for instance)

I think people want things to fuck up, so they can go "told you so".

Reply #541687 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

The speed has now picked up to "normal". Look forward to continued improvements as we progress towards season tip-off!

Reply #541715 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Don't like the new logo.

My kid looked at it and said

THAT ISNT EVEN A BASKETBALL ! He's right, it would have the semi circles the other way..... PFttt….. is all I can say… won't be attending much with the new schedule anyway…. Many families gone from membership and so is your future members with their children who will pick up other memberships now and follow a different crowd..

The biggest impact you could have had was to change up a few rules like 3 second D to open up the key way for drives and dunks and improve the umps.

Help fund for better stadium equipment/facilities and get some better streaming service and hosts… not all of them though, some were good.

You have just put some makeup on the face of the NBL but underneath the same issues are there. I'm not fouled by the bells and whistles and sugar coating…

Reply #541730 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon#651, on the presumption you are being sensible I am giving it the benefit of some high quality highlight videos and links during the season plus the ideal that it will be properly maintained to a high standard.

So far it is looking pretty good, we shall see if they treat it seriously or not, in any case what is it you don't like about the new site?

Oh, ESPN is great but a few years ahead and many more dollars spent, comparing that site is like comparing a Ferari with a VW Golf, both are cars but one is way more expensive...

Reply #541732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bear, depends which part of the site you're comparing. ESPN's infrastructure and writing team would be light years ahead, but when it comes to clear design and usability, that's something any developer can try to emulate, especially when it comes to simplicity rather than bells and whistles.

The NBA website is pretty messy. I return to the ESPN site continually because they have cleaner and more predictable scores and stats. A lot of what they do isn't fancy, but this is all about conveying information quickly and clearly and I don't think the new NBL does that at all.

If someone built a fast-loading and straightforward unofficial NBL page that linked to the schedule(s), scores, ladder and player stats, I think they'd start to see some regular traffic building. I'd use that.

Reply #541734 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Isaac, I had a bit of a troll of the new NBL site to see what game statistics, old historical records and alike could be retrieved and found it not only easy to navigate but quite clear and surprisingly informative.

I can't gauge the accuracy of the information, but it seemed easily accessible, with it only being a day old I think it's a good start. Using the navigation icons on the left hand side is also quite handy, just my opinion as an early user, maybe as we get used to it we will either love it or hate it??

Reply #541736 | Report this post

"I think people want things to fuck up, so they can go "told you so"."

Not at all. I've just seen the same bullshit promises, and as I keep saying, the same "that'll do" attitude (the sportingpulse stats section being the best example of this) so may times that its going to take a whole lot more than another rich bloke saying what everyone wants to hear to impress me.

You're obviously a lot more easily impressed than I am.

Reply #541738 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Bear - I'd be intersted to know what your grade for the old NBL site would be? For mine, it's too early to tell if the current site is a material upgrade or not.

I assume you accessed the stats and historical game scores via the 'Stats' link. That just links to the Fox Sports Pulse web site, which was what the previous site did. So no change in content there, only to the entry process. That is certainly easier - entry link is easier to locate and fewer clicks to get there. But that wouldn't cause me to upgrade its score relative to the old site.

The 'Schedule' link doesn't give you a view of the NBL full season schedule that fits a single screen or can be downloaded and printed. There is a PDF on the site but it's not accessible from the Schedule page. It's at the end of the news article announcing the release of the schedule. While the calendar downloads are an upgrade on the old site, the lack of a full schedule view is a downgrade for mine. The full page view on the old site also showed scores for all games to date, which was a quick way to go back and check specific scores. It's not clear to me how that will be done with the new site. So, schedule page overall is less functional for how I like to use that info while being a significant upgrade for a lot of other folk. Call it an upgrade overall.

Like Isaac, I prefer clean, simple designs that make it easy to find and access information. Cluttered designs and other bells and whistles just aggravate me. The new site tends towards the latter. That said, it's a modest improvement over the previous site in that regard. In other respects, they've not got it working right. e.g., the news/twitter bar in 'Social' scrolls too quickly; 'TEAMS STATS SCHEDULE TICKETS' headings are only half visible at the top of the page for some zoom settings (happens in Firefox and in Edge browsers). Little things like that are lethal to the user experience and are things I expect will be tuned over the next few weeks.

For me, the 'killer change' is access to live scores. About 3 seasons back, the NBL site had live scores shown for each round's games, on its front page. Clicking on a specific game's score would take you to the live scores page for that game. Very similar to the AFL site (Match Centre feature). That disappeared with the site revision that happened around the time Marc Howard left (~December 2012?).

Like most people (I think), the reason I follow NBL is the games. Being unable to access the live scores quickly, easily and reliably was the biggest failing of the NBL site over the past couple of years. If the new site hasn't fixed that, then I'd grade the revision as failing in that key area.

I'll wait to see if that's the case. Hopefully, we should be able to see if that feature is available for the pre season games.

Reply #541759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PeterJohn - with you 100%. I go to the league sites for scores, ladder, stats. If I want player announcements, the media or forums or social media will have them first. They push the news stuff harder than they should IMO.

My ESPN bookmark is the NBA scoreboard page, not the ESPN front page or ESPN NBA home.

I think they've struggled with the hierarchy with this site, and made some other questionable decisions - the responsive decisions for the home screen are very odd.

If I hit the site in Chrome at a certain size, the teams/schedule/stats/tickets nav splits onto a second line and TICKETS (kinda crucial...) slips out of view. Or disappears almost completely. Or I get two burger menus.

Some screenshots here. Those ones of the nav are the very top of the screen, so can't scroll to access those items:

Reply #541769 | Report this post

Clicking on the Schedule page takes you to the download/import page. That is good to make people aware but that shouldn't be the first option. Have that off to the side.

If I want to start looking at the schedule, my options are to starting reviewing the entire list, a week by week view (each week goes for four days, ending in early September :-?)or a monthly view, which I can't click on. How about round by round??

The more I look at it, the more that site is just change for the sake of change, and nowhere near an improvement on what we have had previously.

Reply #541773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they changing the wnbl site also?

Reply #541781 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

shocker of a first effort. hope they didn't pay too much for that. should've used Triple Zero!

Reply #541925 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Certainly a work in progress.

The title nav (teams/schedule/stats/tickets) is not even in view on both my browsers (Chrome/ Firefox both updated)unless I use full screen view. I like to have multipule windows open on my 24in screen at once, it's why I bought it.

The stats page has no return link to home. W3c has a link checker so this is a "she'll be right well fix it later" attitude. Does not reflect the statement made in the launch about only releasing quality in every thing done by the new owners (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/grizz-tizz-from-way-downtown/e/40046414?autoplay=true). Navigation structures are basic design issues before content is added.

I do like the calender link for the schedule and will be testing this soon.

The new site is a work in progress and I rate it at a Alpha stage. Happy to help them test it for a while. It is positve to see action that eventually will take the NBL forward.

Reply #541990 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's been up nearly a week and I'm liking what i see now. Not having any issues with load times or broken links.

At first I didn't like the layout and found it weird having to scroll down the page so much but once i got use to the navigation buttons on the left it made a lot more sense.

Interested to see how the live scores/stats will be incorporated....but overall I think this site is a massive improvement.

Reply #542749 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am sticking with my initial thoughts, it has been a decent improvement and if the quality of videos, highlights and news etc... remains of an equally high standard, plus the site is updated on a regular basis I would be more than happy.

Reply #542796 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, I also still love the new retro looking NBL logo, it is growing on me and looks cool IMHO.

Reply #542797 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Love the logo as well.

Reply #542881 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I like that the logo has colour variations. It is simple, effective, and versatile. The retro appeal doesn't hurt it, either.

I am loving the updates on the NBL page. Not only is it up on the current news, it has also made a few original articles which have been interesting (like the top 10 NBA draftees in the NBL).

On both fronts I have to give the NBL a solid A so far. I think the media day could have been better than getting a few goofy kids to colour in logos, though. That wasn't exactly landing with a big splash, and smacked of the old NBL way of doing things.

Looking forward to seeing how things progress during the season. How the product looks on TV will have a big bearing on whether it is a success.

Reply #542883 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"I am loving the updates on the NBL page. Not only is it up on the current news, it has also made a few original articles which have been interesting (like the top 10 NBA draftees in the NBL)."

They have also made a great improvement on content on social media. I'm liking what LK has done so far, the graphics on the signing are looking far better also. I'm excited to see what he can do with the game over the next few months.

Reply #542918 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754